Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E06: My Tongue Doesn't Even Twist That Way

• Start Topic

More than a little put off by Denise hanging on to Josh.  I understand she was grateful but it wasn't necessary to demonstrate that by attaching herself to him like a souvenir clip-on Koala.

• Love 7

Seeing Paris, the Seine, Eiffel Tower, the Notre Dame in the background, the boats on the river... the bridges with all the gold.... sigh.... I want to go back! I stayed in a hotel very near the Arc, the traffic around that thing is mind boggling! Scared the daylights out of me.

I've eaten at the restaurant where they had to do the seafood presentation. The food is sublime. Well, ALL the food in Paris is to die for. A simple croissant with fresh butter is not to be missed.

There are internet cafes and hotels with lobbies, filled with people with wifi and phones, ALL over the place, who could have helped Alabama. They wasted so much time wringing their hands. And Momma ain't got that rap groove! Heck, I'd have just given up and sent them on their way so I could go home if I were working that task. I hope they were paid well.

For once, I loved that they kept racing. Only so Green Team didn't "get anything!"

• Love 17

The mangling of "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" by nearly all the teams set my teeth on edge, and the FitBit product placement was beyond obnoxious.  Other than that, a good episode.  I liked that there was finally some more placement shuffling in this leg even though Green finished first yet again - wasn't expecting another double-length leg.  Maybe there's no NELs this season?

Diana wasn't much of a personality, but now that she's showing flashes of Logan, I think I liked her better before.  I'll give some leeway, though, since all the personality I'm seeing is in reaction to Justin's, and I guaran-fucking-tee I'd have clocked him by now.  And Chris and Logan were surprisingly tolerable this episode, which was a nice surprise.

That fifth place finish on the previous leg really seemed to revitalize the cheerleaders, and now they're finally finishing near the front which I like since they're one of only two teams I'm actively rooting for.  Make a note Justin, THAT is the appropriate response to a 2nd place finish for every leg, except the last one.

Edited by DasFlavorPup
  • Love 14

Never ceases to amaze me how dumb some of the racers are. No one knew the motto of the French Revolution? Most of them could not pronounce egalite? (Eagle-ite?)

Fun episode. The bi-planes looked awesome! The rapping was brutal but what a gorgeous setting.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 24

All these height challenges would be just too much for me. I have such a fear of heights it's not even funny. 

The Detour was interesting I would have done either one but the rap probably would have been less time consuming. Especially if you're not that good culinary with opening oysters, snails, and crabs. I would have done the rap. I really thought that Team Texas would do the rap and not the crab detour.

Justin is still annoying. Cheerleaders are just as annoying. Team Texas wasn't annoying like they usually have been.

I really wish Phil was saying goodbye to Paparazzi, dammit. Everytime I want a team to get eliminated they find someway to stay in the race because another team just flops royally. I was thinking Phil was gonna go to the rap battle and say the race is continuing, might as well stop because it's just sad at this point and race another leg. Another To Be Continued, oy. I don't like those, one TBC in a season is fine but two is really pushing it, especially since they had one about two weeks ago.

• Love 3

I'd like to think I would've gotten the French motto anyway, thanks to an old French Franc I have.  Though, I got a laugh at the Roadblock clue-giver's face at the racers' garbled pronunciations.

Did anyone catch the name of the rapper at the Detour?  I thought memorizing a song would've been easier than a detail-oriented food task, but Denise proved me wrong. 

With the mistakes and oversights this season,  I kept waiting for someone to mess up and forget to write down the Fitbit heart rate info.

Another "To Be Continued..." leg so soon after the first one?  Does that mean no NELs this season?

I looked away for a moment, and missed what caused the argument between Justin and Diana.

Edited by InDueTime

WHat was the point of the bungee jump other than product placement.   They all got in line and waited, then all got on the same plane to France.

I never knew they used biplanes during the French Revolution.   Seriously TAR designers, you could do have linked those a little better.   I also could have given the motto without ever going up in the plane.   Presumably you had to tell them where you saw the words too and that was just edited out.  

Justin and Diane haven't spent much time together.   Oh lovely.   The race is not the place to discover communication issues.    Justin is an ass.   "I'm the Super Fan so you must do everything my way."   Diane was right, why stand around talking to taxi drivers when you KNOW there is a train to Paris?   But nope, he has this idea of how to run the race and by gosh and by golly that is how its going to be run.   

• Love 8

I think it was something about Justin wanting to take a taxi to Paris but Diana knew better ?  Kind of got lost and forgot what but nice to see Mr Super Fan's partner getting annoyed as well and showing it.

Nice leg- more challenging detours but yikes poor Alabama.  Wasn't their first choice Bust a Crab?  Think they would have done better with that one.

Texas much better this leg- I still like 'em.  Cheerleaders still high pitched screaming but glad to see them doing well and moving up (Yes..Justin this is how you enjoy a race when you get to the pitstop).  I was almost hoping that Diana/Justin would wander around forever at the pitstop lol.

Logan/Chris making too many little mistakes and yet...still in it. The rest we barely got to see because there was so much screen time on Justin...I mean Justin/Diana.

Really surprised at another TBC leg...we haven't even seen an NEL yet- wasn't there at least one NEL by now?

15 attempts...gah. Or more.  No way I could have done the rap thanks to my deafness and since it's in French can't even sign it.

By the way... no I didn't know what the French motto was nevermind even pronouncing it correctly (best I could do is phonetically which is I bet how everyone did it... not all of us took French or are Francophiles)

Edited by Ducky
  • Love 15

Justin is such a dick.  Diane seems pretty fed up.  Whatever you want, honey.  Now we'll do it my way.  Jerk.

The attempted pronunciations of Liberte, Egalite, and Fraternite were embarrassing.  What the hell is wrong with these people?  Clueless Americans.

I could have done without the sweaty hair.  I'm a George Foreman fan too.

"I gotta be more accurate with people"  Funny as hell Doc!  They all seemed to buzz through the seafood detour.

No way I could have done that rap thing.  The cheerleaders nailed it, of course. I felt sorry for Denise.....for about two seconds.

TBC.... Oh well.  Maybe Denise will be trapped there forever.  lol.  The crew certainly has had their fill of her.

I had a feeling at the beginning that the Paparazzi were going to hang on somehow.  Yet, they were strangely tolerable this episode.  The airplanes were way cool.  I've flown in a biplane, but couldn't get the guy to do a loop.

Fun episode.  Stunning scenery as always.

• Love 5

Never ceases to amaze me how dumb some of the racers are. No one knew the motto of the French Revolution? Most of them could not pronounce egalite? (Eagle-ite?)

So let's say I knew the motto (I do) could I just go and say it or is it a requirement to go through the whole task?

By the way... no I didn't know what the French motto was nevermind even pronouncing it correctly (best I could do is phonetically which is I bet how everyone did it... not all of us took French or are Francophiles)

I expected mangling but every single team?  At the very least, I expected more to know that é is pronounced with an long "a" sound.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 8

Diane was being obnoxious with the passive aggressive "I don't want to do this but if it's what you want to do then fine, we'll do it, but I'll complain the whole time that it's the wrong decision" thing. That makes me crazy.

I never took French but knew the motto and could give a reasonable pronunciation.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4

Now that the focus wasn't on Justin & Diana vs. Tanner & Josh, I ended up loving this episode! Great seeing Paris again, and it was amazing to see the Arc Triomphe, the site of Pat & Brenda's triumphant Pit Stop in season one, as well as Kim & Leslie's exit point when they argued way too much with their cabbie prior to the Pit Stop.

I was surprised that the rap ended up being the faster Detour. I really thought that the crab shucking would be.

I wonder what the purpose of the Fitbit measurements is?

Okay, okay. So the teams:

Justin & Diana: Yeah. . . . Liked Diana better when she was more silent. Granted, she's reacting majorly to Justin's quirks, as has been said above, so it's kind of understandable why she'd act the way she did. That said, they seemed to give some solid performances on the tasks. They did both Roadblocks in one try, and they didn't get too frustrated when they kept messing up at the Drops Mic Detour. Well-earned win, though it would've been fun to see Justin's ego bruised a bit if they'd kept missing the hint of where to find Phil just long enough for Tiffany & Krista to pass them up.

Tiffany & Krista: Best leg yet for these two! They nailed both Roadblocks, and they were the only team to clear the Drops Mic Detour on the first try! Would've been nice to see them slide past Justin & Diana, but that might've been editing, and they were farther ahead than they made it seem. Still, second place was very much deserved. I was so happy for both of them!

Kelsey & Joey: They were pretty quiet on this leg. From what we saw, they also nailed both Roadblocks, and they needed a few attempts at the Drops Mic Detour. Nothing overly remarkable for them.

Tanner & Josh: Finally! Glad to see these two finish out of the top three at last! It's what they deserve, quite frankly! I can't believe anyone found them tolerable on this leg. "If he misses this, I'm going to freak out on him." That's something to find tolerable? Seriously?! Anyway, they got both Roadblocks right, but they struggled at the Bust a Crab Detour, much to my great pleasure. They finally got it, and only Cindy & Rick's cabbie screwing them over helped them go from fifth place to fourth.

Cindy & Rick: Like the other teams, they cleared both Roadblocks very easily. I give them mad props for clearing the Bust a Crab Detour on their first try, too. If not for their incompetent cabbie, they'd have finished fourth, but had to settle for fifth instead.

Logan & Chris: Logan should be thankful to and for Denise. After she failed once at her Roadblock (after Chris killed his) and wound up on a train behind the other teams, they needed a break and got one in the form of Denise not being able to rap in French for shit. They focused enough to finish the Bust a Crab Detour on their second try, and reached Phil in sixth. As much as they've become annoying, that was the perfect example of why you never give up on the race. The perfect example.

Denise & James Earl: From first to last. Kind of a shame after they cleared both Roadblocks with amazing ease. But getting lost trying to find the Bust a Crab Detour (why didn't they just find a cab to take to the restaurant?) and then having to switch to the Drops Mic Detour and not even doing well at finding or performing it has definitely put them in danger. Obviously, they'll be fine since this is a TBC, but if this were a normal leg, no question they'd have been toast. Phil would've come out to personally eliminate them by now.

Good, balanced Detour, very good Roadblocks, a nice revisit to an old site on the race, and most important, some new finishing orders. Terrific episode!

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this episode. The tasks were interesting, even the lineup at the bungee jump was fun (for me) to watch.

I want to go to Paris!  I could do without the Fitbit product placement...but it was kind of interesting to see what the contestents' heart rates were.

• Love 1

The judge at the airplanes was awfully lenient, too, with those pronunciations.

Clearly she was instructed to be lenient, however much it may privately have offended her. Some sort of "If they have most of the consonants, and they're mostly in order, take it" sort of directive, it seems.

Holy cow. How didn't they know the French motto anyway? Doesn't everyone know liberte', egalite', fraternite'??

I think this episode gives the answer to that question. In fact, though I know the motto myself, I don't expect that everyone does. But I would have thought one of the racers who took the task might have had an inkling. Maybe?

I also could have given the motto without ever going up in the plane.   Presumably you had to tell them where you saw the words too and that was just edited out.  

Justin is an ass.   "I'm the Super Fan so you must do everything my way."   Diane was right, why stand around talking to taxi drivers when you KNOW there is a train to Paris?   But nope, he has this idea of how to run the race and by gosh and by golly that is how its going to be run.   

We saw several whole answers, so it's clear they didn't have to say where they saw them. It was just the words that were the challenge, and they seem to have been a big one.

Diane needs to be more definite about her wishes. In fact, dealing with Justin, she needs to be brutally direct, because he's caught in that infantile stage of development where he doesn't quite believe that other people exist, and only his wants matter. Even when his behavior is pointed out to him, he shrugs it off as "what you have to do to run the race well."

Speaking of shrugging off, I was unreasonably pissed off one of the Texans smilingly saying that "he's not a detail person." (Partly, I guess, because I often hear my students disclaim competence in essential skills in the same way.) That's not an immutable life characteristic, it's a temporary situation -- a choice, in fact -- and it can be changed. But no, "Oh the doctors got ahead because they have to be precise." Ugh.

• Love 7

I think they may have had to indicate to the pilot when they found the word. I, too, was surprised at how many butchered those words! I thought at least Mrs Chacattack would have known it, didn't they say they met in Paris, that it was 'their' city? I guess they never spoke any French then.

• Love 3

My French would be horrific but I knew them in English....

The rap task was destined to be awful for most of the teams. I was impressed that Justin and Diane got it in three tries. The cheerleaders did awesome. Eight tries wasn't all that bad.

I have no idea why Alabama did not ask for help finding the restaurant. They were so screwedwhen they got to rap and everyone knew it. All she has to do is pronounce things and be kind of close on the beat and they will pass. The judge is not going to be too demanding on the 20th try.

Diane and Justin can go now. Same with Chris and Logan. He k can we have a triple elimination?

• Love 2

Female paparazzo (I'll learn her name when she stops being so mean to her whiny partner) actually sounded like she had the proper French pronunciation of liberty and equality - she just didn't see the third word.

• Love 5

Ugh, Logan is more obnoxious than Chris, as if that were possible.

But Diane is getting on my last nerve, too.

OMG, the cheerleaders running across all of that traffic at the Arc de Triomphe scared the hell out of me!

Why didn't Alabama go to the other task?

• Love 3

If any team did glance at the French €1 and €2 coins which they might have gotten as change from their train ride from the airport to the biplane roadblock (since a taxi covering that distance easily can be €150+ one way), they probably *might* notice the motto (which was the "answer" of that roadblock) on one side of the coin.

I wasn't exactly surprised that Chris/Logan had to wait one hour(?) for that return trip to Paris since that station is basically near the southern extremity of that line (RER D).

Alabama really, really got lost in trying to find the rapping area, since I notice that they passed the "Sèvres – Lecourbe" metro at some point, which is some ways from the rapping area (even though they are on the right track if they chose the Bust A Crab detour, since that detour is a few stops off of that line (line 6), located near the Montparnasse train station)...

Wonder how far behind Alabama is from the Paparazzi team...

• Love 4

If no one can pronounce "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite", what makes any of them think they can easily rap in French?  The judge at the airplanes was awfully lenient, too, with those pronunciations.

I'm American, and I thought, "These Americans are butchering the French language!"

• Love 15

Nice episode. I can't believe I rooted for the cheerleaders, but good for them. Writing the French out phonetically was a very smart move, and they do know how to sell it. Even the French rappers liked them.

I bet Justin and Diane would have been fine busting a crab...what was the problem with not finding the restaurant? Grab a cab...the place has been famous for a hundred years. A southern accent attempting French is very tough...props to Diane for trying, but after 5 or 6 goes, it is hard to concentrate and find any confidence.

Logan and Chris...the couple that deserve each other, though neither was as obnoxious as last week.

I was stunned that none of the racers knew the French motto...I thought that was pretty basic high school stuff.  And the woman standing next to Phil was dressed as Marianne, the symbol of France and the revolution, though traditionally her breasts are exposed. I guess that would have really spiked some of the racers Fitbit heart rate.

• Love 8

I speak French but I can honestly say that I didn't know the motto.

However, they did say that prononunciation would count for the rap challenge and the contestants were making my ears bleed and were still being passed through.

While the roadblocks were cool to watch, they really didn't offer much opportunity for the teams to switch places with the exception of the continually incompetent papparazzi team. I prefer shows where there is room for movement.

• Love 2

The show was killing me with that record-scratch sound effect every time someone messed up the lyrics.

While I'm complaining about sound effects, they also threw in a Tinkerbell ting when Tanner said his and Josh's heartrates were in sync. Har de har har.

Edited by cooksdelight
Removing preview talk.
  • Love 2

These teams are obnoxious, I never did watch last week's episode because of that and watching this week did nothing to dispell that belief.

In other news, is the Arc the first place that's been a pit stop more than once?  Because it was the first time the race went to Paris, in what, episode 2?

• Love 1

France! Did you know Joe & Bill lived there for two years?

Man, this was not a leg to submit to the Emmy committee. Just about every team made at least one mistake. Only thing that separated the Paparazzi from elimination (aside from this maybe not being an elimination leg) was a middle-aged woman's inability to rap in French. That was painful to watch . . .  in the end, I wanted Phil to swoop In with a Phield Philimination.

I'll still take Justin & Diana over the Texans. That said, Justin needs to dial it down a few notches. If Phil tells you to be good to your partner, you'd better listen. Lucky for them that most of the teams that tried the rap Detour option struggled. BTW, would it killed the producers to throw in English translations? I took Italian, so the lyrics went over my head.

Tiffany & Krista securing second place didn't make me as happy as the Mets' win tonight, but it was rather close. I want variety in the top spots, and I'd like a New York-based team to win it.

The Reporters have baseball caps with their names on them. For that alone, they should have been prohibited from doing the rap Detour.

ETA: I would have butchered the pronunciation. Good thing the judge graded on a curve. Seriously, it was as bad as the SNL French class sketch . . . the one that devolved into Adam Sandler making Cajun Man noises.

• Love 4

Gah, one of the things that frustrates me the most about TAR is when something we don't see affects the standings.

How did it play out where only the Green team navigated the airport to make that initial train out of the airport in Paris? Were they knocking over pedestrians in the terminal? Did they bumrush everyone in the plane to get off first? Ultimately those 20-40 minutes (maybe more) they gained ended up getting them to and through the Biplane detour, and back to Paris w/ enough of a lead where as long as they didn't botch either detour to the degree that Alabama did......they were going to hit the pit stop first. My continued loathing of Justin makes this stick out in my brain just that little bit more. Only silver lining is Diana's growing frustration with him, hopefully that starts to plant the seeds of their (mostly his) downfall later on...

At this point, I'd probably root for the Newscasters (despite being race wallpaper for long stretches), the Cheerleaders (#Enthusiasm), and Texas in that order. I think Alabama (whether Denise can finish the rap detour next week or not) is not long for this race. I can't stand Logan and Chris's attitude towards each and other and the race.....so they can go anytime.

I almost forget the Chac attack is still in the race most of the time. Although I did like his quip about needing to be more precise with humans as compared to the various shellfish they had to deal with during the detour. 

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 7

If no one can pronounce "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite", what makes any of them think they can easily rap in French?  The judge at the airplanes was awfully lenient, too, with those pronunciations.

I think pronunciation should have counted. They weren't even trying to get it right. I have to say that I'm barely interested in this season. There is no team I am excited about.

• Love 5

Est-ce qu'elles te saignent?  (Are they bleeding?)

Mais oui, bien sûr. C'est tellement irritant.

Hey, I am not a francophone myself. Just living North of the border where French is spoken. While I know that French is not an easy language to pronounce, it looked like they did not even try. From the reading of liberté, égalité, fraternité to the rapping and the reading of l'Arc de Triomphe, I actually cringed listening to them.

• Love 7

I don't understand why anybody would choose trying to rap in a language they don't speak over arranging shellfish on a tray. It makes no sense to me.

Heck, I'm fluent in French, and I think I'd rather arrange shellfish on a tray than try rapping in French.  It doesn't help that I can't stand rap music.

• Love 15

I don't understand why anybody would choose trying to rap in a language they don't speak over arranging shellfish on a tray. It makes no sense to me.

I don't know how efficient they had to be, but they could have mucked up opening the shellfish. Especially if you don't know how to do it. Some might be able to pronounce foreign language words better than opening shellfish.

I thought that they should have pronounced both the rap and the French motto to perfection with no leeway at all. It would have been a struggle and worth watching for them to get it right. They should have went all Ike Turner on them, "Say it 'til you get it right".

• Love 1

Wow!  There I am, drooling over the Stearmans, and a Junkers 52 just... strolls past in the background!  (Idiot!  Snoopy/The Red baron flew the Dreidecker Dr.1, not a biplane!)  Holy shit, a Bücker Jungmeister, hiding behind Diana's armpit!  Also spotted:  A Goony Bird, a Harvard, an unmistakable Stinson Reliant with those lovely wings, and a red bipe with an un-cowled radial that I can't make out.  Meanwhile the stunning Stearmans, in their Navy colours, continue to do what Stearmans do best.

Diana, run now.  But kick him in the bollocks on the way out the door.

Well, now I know why Duncan Macleod moved his barge.

Ow!  Weetabix and milk just shot out my nose!

• Love 9

I thought that they should have pronounced both the rap and the French motto to perfection with no leeway at all. It would have been a struggle and worth watching for them to get it right. They should have went all Ike Turner on them, "Say it 'til you get it right".

But how would they have learned how to say the motto? they only saw it written out, at least with the rap someone was teaching them how to say the words.

• Love 11

Oh, Show, we'll always have Paris. And for that I can forgive a lot of crappy pronunciations that would be laughable if they weren't such cliches.

Hey, Superfan, you've seen every episode---what usually happens when teams become dysfunctional because somebody's a dick and practically begs for the passive-aggressive retaliation?

• Love 18

what usually happens when teams become dysfunctional because somebody's a dick and practically begs for the passive-aggressive retaliation?

This describes so many teams from pretty much every season, they could probably change the name of the show to "Somebody's a Dick" 

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

Funny, I was thinking that when the rap artist told them to 'do it again, with more vibes', that was the first task judge that ever failed a team that completed the technical aspect but not the subjective performance portion. Usually when it's a "dance with spirit" or "...and show enthusiasm" task the judges are ridiculously easy going.

Elsewhere; at one point, on the way to the mat, Justin said he hoped this was the beginning of some separation that would carry through for them on the race.

I thought he was a SuperFan. Does he not know there's a bunch at least every two episodes?

Edited by Charlesman
  • Love 6

Diana didn't seem passive-aggressive to me, she stated from the get go that she didn't want to do the rap, and he ignored her. So, she kept saying it.

I became irrationally angry when the cheerleader jumped on that man and wrapped herself around him. I'm female but if someone did that to me, I would have shoved them off really hard. I hate being touched , "accidentally" or intentionally, and that she didn't seem to know or care it was inappropriate actually made me mad. It happens all the time that someone hugs one of the locals, but this was over-the-top and so was my reaction, I guess.

In fact, the only ones who didn't do something to irritate me this week were the newscasters and the Chac's. Probably shouldn't watch while sick. ; )

• Love 5