Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I mean I know Lin will get the Oscar one day but that was extremely disappointing.  Good for Billie though I know she's not everyone's cup of tea but I like her and I don't like many of the current pop singers.

• Love 9

Apparently, the Will Smith/Chris Rock deal was legit. International Twitter had the uncut version.

I'm of two minds: Smith WAS laughing initially, but then he saw how it hurt his wife. So he probably got pissed then and defended her.

But Chris Rock is a comedian and maybe he had no idea about JPS' alopecia.

What a mess. But at least it wasn't boring.

• Love 21

Chris Rock has a spicy sense of humor. Everyone who goes to the Oscars knows that pre-written jokes are part of the package.

Will should not have decked Rock for a joke that let's face it, probably was written by a team of show writers.

• Love 16
44 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Is Rami drunk?  He doesn't usually slur like that.

I assumed stoned out of his gourd based on the glassy stare and speaking difficulty, but who knows?

I haven't liked Will Smith since he revealed himself to be a disingenuous coward while filming Six Degrees of Separation, so I hope he NEVER hears the end of this. Jada's expression at least reassures me there will be no rest for him tonight.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Apparently, the Will Smith/Chris Rock deal was legit. International Twitter had the uncut version.

I'm of two minds: Smith WAS laughing initially, but then he saw how it hurt his wife. So he probably got pissed then and defended her.

But Chris Rock is a comedian and maybe he had no idea about JPS' alopecia.

What a mess. But at least it wasn't boring.

If it took Will a little bit to realize that Jada was pissed, maybe Chris didn't have much time to consider it, either -- I guess I'd like to know how much ahead of time he saw the joke. 

• Love 5

Damn. I was really rooting for LMM. Dos O is a beautiful song that is intrinsic to the plot and tone of the movie. NTTD is just cookie cutter Bond. Anyway, LMM will have many more chances.  

I like Will Smith, and I hate when someone I like does something really stupid. At least Jane Campion can let out a big sigh of relief, as she isn’t the biggest A-hole of the awards season anymore. 

• Love 17
Just now, Archery said:

Damn. I was really rooting for LMM. Dos O is a beautiful song that is intrinsic to the plot and tone of the movie. NTTD is just cookie cutter Bond. Anyway, LMM will have many more chances.  

I wish they’d consider amending the rule so that a song has to be part of the movie, not just a credits song. But I realize that would narrow things considerably.

• Love 4
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

Ok, Twitter is saying that Denzel and a publicist (unclear if it's Denzel's or Will's though I'm assuming Will's) came over to talk to Jada and Will after the punch. 

Denzel is very, very no nonsense.  Curious what he said to them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Ok, Twitter is saying that Denzel and a publicist (unclear if it's Denzel's or Will's though I'm assuming Will's) came over to talk to Jada and Will after the punch. 

For good or bad, people will remember this Oscars ceremony.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
Just now, Archery said:

That's what I find so frustrating about the Bond songs winning.  I haven't seen No Time To Die, nor do I have any interest in it.  But I'm guessing it doesn't have the connection to the movie that Dos O had to Encanto.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Get on with it, Kevin.  Did he take lessons from the William Shatner school of award presentation?

Seriously! He came on and I went to watch the unedited Smith-Rock clip on Twitter a few times and when I came back he was still talking!!!!!

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
Just now, absnow54 said:

Is Will smith still in the room? They seem to be cutting to cameras that block off his seats. 

Unfortunately he is.  Saw them when Jane Campion was walking to the stage.  Will and Jada are still right up front.

Probably Will's.  This is a PR disaster.

• Love 10

There's some scrambling going down!

• Love 4

I'm going to be honest here,  Will and Jada had to be completely aware of those seats before the show.  If they did not want to be part of any joke, they should have asked to be moved to less conspicuous seats.  I noticed Jane had to walk around Jada's train.  They are right there.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, absnow54 said:

Is Will smith still in the room? They seem to be cutting to cameras that block off his seats. 

Yes he's there. Hopefully they remove him during this break. 

He should have been removed instantly. 

• Love 11
Just now, wallflower75 said:

That's what I find so frustrating about the Bond songs winning.  I haven't seen No Time To Die, nor do I have any interest in it.  But I'm guessing it doesn't have the connection to the movie that Dos O had to Encanto.

Yeah the Bond songs all seem to be "someone write a song with the same name as the movie that we can play over the credits" and then they get showered with awards. Makes no sense.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
18 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Not appreciating this In Memoriam segment. I'd rather the music be a bit more somber and have the photos enlarged. I can barely see the faces on my 32" screen, with them featuring the performers.

Agree.  I want to see the people being memorialized on my full screen, NOT the singers.  Grrrr.

• Love 23
1 minute ago, dmeets said:

I wish they’d consider amending the rule so that a song has to be part of the movie, not just a credits song. But I realize that would narrow things considerably.

I’ve always said they should give us the movie clip with the song so I can hear and see how it fits into the film.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Artsda said:

Yes he's there. Hopefully they remove him during this break. 

He should have been removed instantly. 

Maybe they agreed he can stay so that he apologizes if he wins and, if not, they leave immediately?

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm going to be honest here,  Will and Jada had to be completely aware of those seats before the show.  If they did not want to be part of any joke, they should have asked to be moved to less conspicuous seats.  I noticed Jane had to walk around Jada's train.  They are right there.

I really want someone to trip over that train so Amy Schumer can make a Trainwreck joke.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1