Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Didn't they start later? I always thought it started at 8:00, but this year it wasn't until 8:30.

It has started at 8:30 for the last few years, and ABC airs exclusive red carpet coverage from 8 to 8:30.  This year they started that at 7:30. But it is supposed to end by 11:30 and that's clearly not going to happen.

I really like the Sound of Music by why are they doing a tribute? Just because it's the 50th anniversary?

Never thought I'd type this, but Lady Gaga is giving me goose bumps... her vocal range is something. And she's not doing anything absurd. I halfway expected little kids in lederhosen to run out from under her big flouncy dress.

It's the 50th anniversary of the movie, I guess that's why they picked this segment.

• Love 5

.......Is that what Lady Gaga looks like without all the over-the-top makeup and clothing?  She's actually really nice looking.

Also, she has a nice voice.  Yes, she does.

I was just thinking "so that's what she really looks like..."

• Love 2

I really wish Gaga would stop with all the weird stuff, go back to her real name and just SING.   She has the pipes for it.   She doesn't need the weirdness to get attention.

Oh house got dusty again with that hug between Julie and Gaga.

• Love 8

50th anniversary I think.

Oh. Duh. But still. Is this needed?

There are videos of Lady Gaga on Youtube (before she was known as Lady Gaga), and she's actually really talented. It's a shame she wears meat dresses and uses bubbles to get around, because otherwise she'd be much more universally liked and respected.

Also, Julie Andrews. Show over.

It's a completely misleading statistic. Population of the US from the 1860 census: 31,443,321 plus 3,953,761 slaves, Current US population: 320 million. So yeah, there will be more people of any race in prison now.

What's the percentage? That would be a more telling statistic.

Still missing Robin Williams as well. Like Phil Hartman and John Ritter, I will always feel a little sad when I see him.

I met Robin Williams after one of his concerts a few years back and I proudly have the picture of us on my wall at work. He was so happy to see his fans and seemed amazed that we wanted to meet him.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 5

Why is no one talking about how orange Jeff Goldblum is?

Every time they cut to him, it looks like he just came back from applying self tanner. His freaking hands look like they're covered in Cheetos crumbs. WTF, Goldblum?!

First time I've ever not wanted to jump his bones.

I too cried when Ms. Andrews stepped out. What a lovely, lovely human being (I don't know her in real life, but I just figure she's gotta be a saint).

• Love 1

Overall, not bad, but the trombone tattoo sort of ruined the moment.

Tony Bennett drew her the sketch of the trombone while recording their album.  She loved it so much that she got it tattooed.  Admittedly it's big but I do think it's sweet on how much he means to her. 

• Love 2

I've finally caught up with you all. I just realized that there haven't been any movie montages since the opening number. There are always montages...

I agree with the poster who said that NPH doesn't know how to improve which is what's needed to save the show when the jokes are failing.

• Love 1