Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I didn't know TCM did a memoriam every year, this was the first year I caught it.  Extremely well done and very moving.   Many more people than Oscar sees fit to squeeze in.  They should just borrow that--there'd be plenty of time if they axed Jennifer Hudson.

Elaine Stritch, and Ann B Davis were forgotten, according to another board.  I'm sure there are more.  Why can't they ever get it right?

A quick check of both's IMDB pages shows far more TV credits than film.

Ann B. Davis' biggest film credits are Lover Come Back, and appearances in The Brady Bunch movies and the Naked Gun movies. And of course her fame pretty much completely revolves around her Brady Bunch role. So her omission makes some sense. 

Despite the larger number of TV credits, Elaine Stritch would seem to be a more notable oversight. Hell, I would have included her for her appearance in Cadillac Man alone. 

Edited by reggiejax

Was I the only one who didn't cry during the In Memorium segment? I usually sob my eyes out, but this one left me cold and I don't know why. The watercolor portraits instead of photographs? The rather flat music? I don't know, but it is a first for me.

• Love 4

My young nieces are on an Aladdin kick, and I have to swallow hard every now and then when I watch it with them.

The first time my class had indoor recess because it was raining, I pulled out Aladdin. Some of my students (2nd graders) had never seen it. Everyone should experience his total brilliance in that movie. I don't think we'll see another talent like his ever again.

• Love 2

I liked the portraits, because some of the people that work behind the camera do not get clips. I like that portraits puts them on somewhat equal footing.

What I like about TCM is that they include not just pictures of those behind the scenes but they also often show the films they worked on that are well known so people realize what they brought to some of their favourite films. how exactly their talents were involved in the making of process.

Plus when I see the names of some of the greatest actors and actresses of all time I want clips. I want to see some of their best work highlighted, they deserve it.

• Love 3

I didn't know TCM did a memoriam every year, this was the first year I caught it.  Extremely well done and very moving.   Many more people than Oscar sees fit to squeeze in.  They should just borrow that--there'd be plenty of time if they axed Jennifer Hudson.

I forget the year but it was a few years back, the one they made...I couldn't stop crying because it had so many of the actors I actually grew up watching from the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s, and most of them the Oscars' never bothered to even highlight because they weren't "recent".

The Oscars' only show the people they feel we "know", who cares about the old school crowd or the lesser known names or faces who worked just as hard, just as long, just as diligently, just as honourably, who'll miss them anyway?

The Oscars' lost its class years ago, imo.

• Love 3

This isn't the fucking music awards!  WHY WHY WHY is there so much time devoted to (bad/boring/irrelevant) singing?  Hell, I'd rather see some clips from the documentary movies, or of the dead people.

The Oscars always struggles to figure out to make the show entertaining. We've had the montages. We've had musical performances. There are years it works and years it doesn't. Music has worked in the past but the quality of the songs is poor this year and the songs are also not ones that really grab the crowd. They aren't catchy and they aren't like big uplifting ballads.

• Love 3

OK, commercial time. So really, what was that gif from? My eyes are on the screen only half the time.

The gif was Meryl Streep and Jlo's reaction to Patricia Arquette's speech about equal pay for women.

eta-We're not into overtime yet. The Oscars are scheduled until 11:30. They get 3 hours.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 1

The one thing that is very clear now is that NPH understands that the show is dying.  You can see him cringe every time he goes into a joke he knows is going to go over like a lead balloon.  He knows what is wrong, but I think he can't fix it with this audience. I bet he could with the viewers but he doesn't want to alienate A listers.

• Love 4

The one thing that is very clear now is that NPH understands that the show is dying.  You can see him cringe every time he goes into a joke he knows is going to go over like a lead balloon.  He knows what is wrong, but I think he can't fix it with this audience. I bet he could with the viewers but he doesn't want to alienate A listers.

A good host will ad lib and make it work. He's not a good host. He cannot figure out how to go off script and wing it for the sake of making the show more entertaining.

• Love 8

I'm telling you, he's itching to put on that Hedwig outfit.

• Love 2

Though I do think the Oscar audience has always been historically stiff and full of themselves, I will go against the tide here and say this year it has far more to do with NPH's lackluster performance. He is just terrible. 

• Love 8