Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just figured out who I'd like to host this next year:  John Oliver.

I would love that. I also like, that with Tina and Amy at the GG's that there are two people, so they can play off each other. I feel like SNL people would be good as well. I would love a Stephen Colbert/ Jon Stewart duo, but it will never happen.

• Love 1

Unpopular opinion, but I'm not putting this on the audience. I think Neil is just not funny. Many of his "jokes" have been incredibly average and others are just awful which is exactly why I think the audience has had nothing more than polite laughter and applause because they probably want to get into it but he's just not very funny. 

eta: Jared Leto kind of infuriates me because I'm convinced he does the shit he does with his looks and appearance because he knows how gorgeous he is and is basically like "fuck it, I'll mess with my looks, not cut my hair, sport a horrible beard, wear the most hideous suit because I'll still be one of the most gorgeous people there" and that's without work done because dude clearly has some killer genes. I do remember seeing his mom last year, who was at the show with him, and she was pretty gorgeous and looked amazing for her age.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 15

In this case I find it really appropriate. When the film industry began over 80% of the industry was women - directors, writers, editors, you name it. Now it's a very male run, and even though there are women in the studio offices, it's not what it used to be.

Hollywood gender pay disparities were revealed in the Sony hack just last fall, so commenting about equal pay in an awards speech seems perfectly relevant to me.

Superhero and action movies probably have to go above and beyond being well executed to get major Oscar nominations, while a competently done biopic does have an easier time of it during awards season. But most times, the superhero movie makes far more money and has sequel, merchandising and theme park potential. It's rare in life that you get to have everything; those are the breaks.

• Love 3

Unpopular opinion, but I'm not putting this on the audience. I think Neil is just not funny. Many of his "jokes" have been incredibly average and others are just awful which is exactly why I think the audience has had nothing more than polite laughter and applause because they probably want to get into it but he's just not very funny. 

I agree. He's just not connecting well, imo. He hasn't connected with me once.

I feel as if he's tired and the material is tired and just all together trying too hard.

• Love 7

I fail to see why having a huge audience is NOT "the place for" anything "political," although why equal rights for women is deemed "political" I'm not sure. Patricia read probably so she wouldn't omit anything before the music began.

"Political" wasn't the best word to describe it - I was typing fast off the top of my head, trying to keep up with the thread.

The Oscars are about celebrating movies and the people who make them, not advocate for social change, especially when a good portion of the people in Hollywood don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.   

Plus, it derails the point of the awards.  Just as it has here.

Last post on this - I'm here to have fun while watching, not get into a serious debate or discussion on this subject.

Edited by OriginalCyn
  • Love 2

Yep... they REALLY aren't at all into the jokes that are at their expense.  Like the LEGO MOVIE joke.  That's the biggest and most inexplicable snub of the year by all accounts and NPH making a joke about it just was not something the audience was prepared to acknowledge.  Well... tough.  Y'all were the ones who snubbed it, so deal with the consequences.  

I doubt that the people who snubbed LEGO are even in the audience tonight - it's the animation branch that decides the nominees for that category, and I don't expect many of them get invitations to the ceremony.

The reason for LEGO's snubbing is pretty simple: The animation branch doesn't respect the kind of animation that LEGO used. These are hardcore animation professionals who prioritize technical achievement over other considerations, like storytelling or dialogue or characters (which is why, for instance, a little-known hand drawn film usually sneaks in as a nominee - they also love stop motion animation, which takes more work than anything else).

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 2

I get that people are nervous because this is their crown jewel, but good god, I'd like to inject some enthusiasm into this show. Neil Patrick Harris is trying ... and trying hard ... but these people are just not biting.

I wish I could tell these people to chill a little. t's just a gold statue.

• Love 2

Idris Elba, Dwayne Johnson, Chris Pratt... this makes me really miss the days when serious movie stars weren't above doing a romantic comedy or two. At least a romantic drama. We have the leading men. Why are we not using them? Remember when Chris Pine was in The Princess Diaries 2? There was a spark there. That got wasted on trash like This Means War but if anyone still knew how to write a script we could make classic rom-coms again.

• Love 2

Grand Budapest is picking up a lot of creative awards. I don't know if this is increasing or decreasing its Best Picture chances.

Doesn't change a thing: I think after the Golden Globes it was out of the Best Picture conversation.  Birdman was raking it in from the SAGs, Producer's Guild and Director's Guild and Boyhood went from front runner to chasing it down.  

I get that people are nervous because this is their crown jewel, but good god, I'd like to inject some enthusiasm into this show. Neil Patrick Harris is trying ... and trying hard ... but these people are just not biting.

I wish I could tell these people to chill a little. t's just a gold statue.

This is what happens when an industry thinks too highly off itself - it becomes self-important to the point of being obnoxious.

Edited by OriginalCyn
  • Love 2