Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Took me a few seconds to get that NPH was doing a Birdman thing.  I just thought they got kind of desperate for a second (probably still are.)  Did enjoy the Whiplash reference/Miles Teller cameo.

Speaking of which, Teller and Margot Robbie hosed the tech awards?  I guess Margot covered the whole "Hot starlet"thing that award show tends to go for, but I guess Teller went along since he's the new Mr. Fantastic now.

ETA: Whiplash got Sound Mixing!  Yay!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

I know it was a nod to Birdman and Whiplash, but it is like NPH is throwing out all the comedy cliches to make people laugh, song and dance, audience chat, and underwear. It is like he read an old sitcom comedy guide with all the wacky hijinks.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 5

The orchestra seemed tentative to play them off this time. I think they were scared there would be more dead relatives.

You know what? Let's see if people pick up on that...if they start getting the music, they talk about a dead relative.

It works on Chopped.

• Love 6

Chris Evans couldn't present with Chris Pratt and Chris Hemsworth?  And they couldn't do a striptease afterwards.  That would bring in the viewers.

Throw in Chris Pine and it's the Chris Strip Off 2015 where everyone wins! 

• Love 12

I don't watch the Oscars all that reguarly -- I'm a bit surprised I'm sitting here watching it now -- because it is basically dull and somewhat pretentious. I think I gave up after Jon Stewart "bombed." It was interesting that the same people who clamor to go on his show were stone silent when he threw some of that humor back at them. It's a group that takes itself way too seriously, imo, and I think it makes it tough for anyone standing on that stage. For shit's sake, it's supposed to be fun. If not, skip it.

I remember watching when I was a child and I don't recall this type of severity. It seemed like everyone had a grand old time, but then I don't think it was so important to be so sophisticated and above it all back then.

I'll never forget the streaker dashing across the stage when David Niven was up there -- who made a crack about the guy showing the world his shortcomings. That was a show to remember.

• Love 15

We should be due for a Best Sup Actress here pretty quick.

I have so much joy in my heart that Maureen O'Hara was finally recognized but am sad it took them so long to do it.  If Roddy McDowall was to be believed and she'd been blackballed by John Ford, he's been gone a long long time.

ETA - They are reading my mind, Jesus Leto is here to present in a tux my husband wore to prom.  

Yay!!!! I loved Patricia in Boyhood, and am so so glad she won.  I love that she's aged naturally, and looks gorgeous for it. 

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 5

I honestly think Ellen and past Oscar hosts have been worse. The crowd is just not with NPH. I think there's a slight advantage to having a talk show host since they'll have to be friendly with them the next time they have to promote a movie.

Also, how many outfit changes are we up to with NPH now? I've got gray suit, black tux, tighty whities, and red suit.

• Love 1

I'm betting the ratings for this telecast may be lower than years past.

It would not surprise me at all. It's just been so "blah".

What the hell happened to the Leto? He used to have attractive features and things, why is he hiding them?

show is no longer about Hollywood, class or stature, it's about trying any gag and hoping it flies.

The underwear bit was a nod to a Hollywood film - Birdman. Much like when Billy Crystal and other hosts did their nods to various films.

• Love 2

I'm betting the ratings for this telecast may be lower than years past.

It will be interesting if they can break it down by half hours.  Who tuned out after opening number?  Who flipped over to Walking Dead?  I kind of love the idea that people turn off the Oscars for the Walking Dead.

• Love 2

It would not surprise me at all. It's just been so "blah".

What the hell happened to the Leto? He used to have attractive features and things, why is he hiding them?

Trying to keep rock/pop star cred? (Thirty Seconds To Mars)

Nikki Finke was bought out and was supposed to still have creative control.   The new owners said "yeah, play the Hollywood game"  which if you knew anything about her was exactly what she did NOT do.   So she left and waited out a non-compete.   She started a new site and was sued by the old site.   Turns out the non-compete was never report on Hollywood again.    Rumor hath it she is headed to DC to do the same thing to pols.   

• Love 2