Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought this was an obnoxious comment and ruined the start of the ceremony for me.

Considering there's been a lot of publicity this year about the recent and long-standing historical absence of minority nominees/winners I thought it was really timely and topical.  And just the kind of acerbic comment that the industry needed to hear. 

• Love 14

Have most of these people worked with her? This costumer is getting an unusually large amount of applause. (Not unwarranted I'm sure but the actors usually suck at applauding fairly for everyone.)

Ninth nomination!

• Love 1

I can't tell if Neil's delivery is off or he's just getting awkward because of the energy of the crowd. It would be amazing if he could just turn on his Hedwig persona and really give them a piece of his mind. ;)

• Love 3

It's lovely how genuinely happy Wes Anderson looks when his peeps win. And they seem genuinely grateful and fond of him.

So how soon will we get the angry tweets and/or open letters to Hollywood from people mad that NPH made a joke comparing Chris Kyle's kill record to a Hollywood Producers morning?

I really wish I was joking, but mark my words.

Yeah, the crowd at Fox and Friends will be righteously indignant tomorrow.  For weeks they've been discussing how all the Hollywood lib'ruls hate American Sniper. They got a real messed-up way of showing it - nominating it for lots of awards. Hate me too, Hollywood lib'ruls!

I can't tell if Neil's delivery is off or he's just getting awkward because of the energy of the crowd.

This is a notoriously hard room to work. Jon Stewart, Letterman, Rock have all commiserated in interviews with other hosts. Most of these people are uptight and take themselves VERY seriously.  This ain't the Tonys (the theater crowd is a lot looser and self-deprecating.)

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 4

It would be amazing if he could just turn on his Hedwig persona and really give them a piece of his mind. ;)

That would be amazing. I think hosting the Tony's is more in his ballpark. He does great with that. His Emmy hosting was lackluster for me as well.

• Love 1

What a way to honour and introduce us all to some random kids we've never seen or heard about before by making them stand off to the side and give them all of  five seconds of airtime so they could shove more useless and cringe worthy segments into a show that's already so overstuffed its' bursting at the seams.

Ah, gotta love the good ol' Oscars' machine at work, it never, ever changes. Certainly not for the better.

• Love 5

Considering there's been a lot of publicity this year about the recent and long-standing historical absence of minority nominees/winners I thought it was really timely and topical. And just the kind of acerbic comment that the industry needed to hear.

You are, as I am, entirely entitled to your opinion. Great thing about our country.

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 1

I was just here for J.K. Simmons. I have heard of zip as far as the nominated movies or other actors go. Usually, there is at least something with buzz. This year? <Crickets> Well, maybe American Sniper has some. But as I haven't seen it yet...

I guess what I'm saying is, now that I got what I wanted - for JK to emerge victorious - I'll be honest: I really don't care what happens now. At least it makes watching less stressful this year!

• Love 1

Admittedly, I can't give a fair read on Neal Patrick Harris, mainly because I've been pissed since he was picked to host.  I'm sick of seeing him host stuff.  But to me the opening was lame, and his jokes are just plain terrible.

• Love 6

I don't care how much botox Nicole Kidman has injected into her face, she clearly gets the good stuff. Her face may be stiff and expressionless, but it is the most beautiful, stiff and expressionless face in Hollywood. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 7

I can't tell if Neil's delivery is off or he's just getting awkward because of the energy of the crowd. It would be amazing if he could just turn on his Hedwig persona and really give them a piece of his mind. ;)

I think he just has lousy material.  "With her spoon"?  "Channing Tatum's pants, oops, I mean. . . "  Who's writing this shit?  Not NPH, surely.

• Love 2

Still Chiwetel Ejiofor won last year: his performance in 12 Years A Slave still sticks with me.  It's just too bad that film came out right in the middle of the McConaissance. 

Oh, yeah!  Foreign Film winner vs. the Studio Band!

Edited by thuganomics85