Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Early prediction. NPH doesn't get asked back. I think he's okay but not Oscar caliber. He's best doing The Tonys. He looks like he is trying everything and anything to wake these people up. They are soooooooo serious.

• Love 2

So happy that Ida won!  I wish it would take Best Cinematography too, it's truly a beautiful looking but stark film.  

Boy, they are really shuffling the show right along, aren't they?  I realize they don't want people to ramble, and I sure don't either, but English isn't the first language for some of the nominated people.

• Love 1

Whoever that guy was just stole the show, heh. Can he replace Neil?

The way they try and play people off who may never have such a moment again after just 30 or so seconds on stage when basically the whole ceremony is devoted to total crap and ridiculous nonsense and terrible jokes is just so rude and disgusting to me.

ETA:

Michael Keaton is chewing away on his gum like a man determined to pretend he's okay with not winning, as if, and he isn't prepared to go total Batman on all their punk asses.

Ellen was so much better interacting with the audience when she hosted, going down the aisles and really making the celebs laugh and have fun.

I feel like Neil is just trying so hard to make something good happen. Who didn't explain to him how the Oscars' are run? Just how many lies was he told about this gig?

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 9

Early prediction. NPH doesn't get asked back. I think he's okay but not Oscar caliber. He's best doing The Tonys. He looks like he is trying everything and anything to wake these people up. They are soooooooo serious.

Doogie Howser is plain oatmeal. I need Ricky Gervais, Chris Rock, or Tiny and Amy.

• Love 3

The Polish director is my hero for defying the fascist music cue and thanking his deceased child and parents.

I don't like lumping all these best picture nomination presentations together. It's a 3 hour show. Giving each film its own presentation won't make a big difference.

• Love 8

Doogie Howser is plain oatmeal. I need Ricky Gervais, Chris Rock, or Tiny and Amy.

This is what I thought of Ellen as well, very vanilla. I like people with a bit more bite like the ones you mentioned.

Steve Carell was funnier in that bit than Neil has been so far.

• Love 2

The way they try and play people off who may never have such a moment again after just 3o or so seconds on stage when basically the whole ceremony is devoted to total crap and ridiculous nonsense and terrible jokes is just so rude and disgusting to me.

At least they backed off when they heard about the deceased family members. Though they started up again soon after. Keep it classy, Oscars.

Still not into Everything is Awesome. It's like if The Interview had a song about the glory of North Korea but it was so catchy they just made it the theme song and everyone hummed it ignoring the context.

• Love 1

I don't care how much botox Nicole Kidman has injected into her face, she clearly gets the good stuff. Her face may be stiff and expressionless, but it is the most beautiful, stiff and expressionless face in Hollywood. 

Excellent point.  She gets the work but you don't gasp and cringe when you see her.  I'm going to stop with the forehead references. 

• Love 2

Time to fire whoever wrote that "Escargott" joke.

As for they Lego "song?"  That's the stuff migraine nightmares are made of.  Good god, they couldn't come up with one more song to keep that atrocity out of the nominations? *smdh*

• Love 3

Steve Carell pretty much saved the audience bit.  Really not feeling NPH so far.

Everything is Awesome at least had a spark (if nothing else, I'm still amazed I just saw The Lonely Island at the Oscars), but still kind of disappointed.  I preferred Happy from last year; that really was a crowd-pleaser, I thought.  Plus, I was disappointed Chris Pratt didn't show up; he is someone I could totally see being down with goofing off up there.  But, was that actually Will Arnett in the Batsuit.  If so, that's kind of cool.

• Love 2
I want a Lego Oscar!

Me too!

I thought that was....wait for it....awesome!   That song makes me smile- makes me think of some good friends because it's practically our theme song.

I think Michael Keaton is chewing nicotine gum because he can't go outside for a smoke.

• Love 3

I like musicals, I like NPH, and I typically enjoys parts of the Oscars if not all of it, but I have to agree that this year has been a bit underwhelming so far.

They're desperate for the youth ratings, but it gonna happen because most young people don't care.

• Love 1