Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

NPH had worn out his welcome with me a long time, probably around halfway through How I Met Your Mother's run, and based on his hosting so far, it's going to take another long hibernation from him again. 

Yay for J.K. Simmons' win. 

Another tedious Patricia Arquette speech.  When she kept winning Emmys for reasons that I never got for Medium, her speeches were just as bad. 

• Love 1

Okay, this is pretty funny.  Nice Birdman and Whiplash hat tip.  

Really, half of it's funny, half of it is reaching, but there's a bunch of the audience that has a stick up their ass.   

Many of them are probably hung over from yesterday's Independent Spirit Awards.  Now that's a happy place to be--everyone's totally toasted and all very hail fellow well met. 

(The movies are pretty much the same these days, too.  In the beginning, there wasn't much overlap.)

OMG, Jared Leto.  You're pretty!  Just accept it.

• Love 3

No surprise, Patricia Arquette wins it.  I'm sure CBS is now celebrating that their new CSI show is going to be headlined by an Oscar winner now.  I'm sure they are already getting the promos ready.

Aw, the Boyhood kid went to hug Patricia, but she went up to fast, so Ethan Hawke gave him one!  Hee!

Patricia just gave one of the more rousing speeches with that final line.

• Love 2
Sweet mother, is Jared Leto prepping for a role as Samson?

Unless I'm mistaken, he is either filming, or soon will film, his role as The Joker in The Suicide Squad movie. 

Patricia Arquette just got such a rousing response with her plea for equal rights that I half expected to hear the "right on" lady from Good Times. 

• Love 3

I cannot believe Meryl got nominated for Into the Woods, where she chewed scenery. It is almost like she gets nominated for being Meryl.

No duh. That's not a knock on you but on how ridiculous it's gotten. Of course she's got the most nominations when you nominate her for anything and everything.

• Love 3

See, Neil in his undies for the Tonys would have played much, much better.  The Oscar crowd tonight seems determined not to have any fun.  I wonder why.

They are always like that though. I would never want to host the Oscars, it's an impossible job.

• Love 1

The Oscar crowd for some reason is not like the GG crowd ... drunk and happy. The Oscar crowd has always been dour. Don't know why. It's some of the same people but for some reason the ones who act charming and funny in the GG's act dour and self-serious at the Oscars.

• Love 2

Patricia's speech reminded me of Oscars of long ago, when you'd get that one unexpected speech or moment. Like a streaker running across the stage. Or Marlon Brando not showing up. I fear that speech may be the one moment from this show because the host isn't giving us any.

• Love 4

The Oscar crowd for some reason is not like the GG crowd ... drunk and happy. The Oscar crowd has always been dour. Don't know why. It's some of the same people but for some reason the ones who act charming and funny in the GG's act dour and self-serious at the Oscars.

Alcohol being a key reason why! As someone else said, serve the booze and watch 'em loosen the hell up!

The look Robert Duvall just gave NPH was "Do not include me in this lame schtick, sonny boy."

"It's some of the same people but for some reason the ones who act charming and funny in the GG's act dour and self-serious at the Oscars."

At the Golden Globes they continue to serve alchol throughout the show.   At the Oscars, they close the bar before the show starts.   So this what these people are like when they are cut off from the booze.   No wonder they are pissed.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 2

FFS, Ms. Arquette, this is not the place for political grandstanding.  

I really don't give a shit what a bunch of pretentious, self-important, elitist fucks think about the world.  I'm here to see the fashion and enjoy the show, not for someone to preach Stentorian from the Mount.

Edited by OriginalCyn

Yay, a bit of "The Hanging Tree"! Too bad it couldn't get nominated for Best Original Song (the lyrics were from the book).

Actors get dissed for being shallow narcissists and then when they speak out about issues, how dare they! The Sony hack revealed that actresses still have to fight for equal pay, which is probably why that part went over so well with the women in the audience.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 21

Hey, it's everyone's favorite (OK, just my favorite) Fun-Size actor, Josh Hutcherson!

Man, Robert Duvall was just not in the mood.  Don't blame him.  Meanwhile, Eddie Redmayne was laughing a "bit" too hard.  Voting is over, Eddie.  No need to suck up to the host.

• Love 2

I think at this point they're just exhausted. The Oscars are a lot less special with the bajillion other shows that have appeared. I mean, it's still a big award but at this point you're probably over it.

• Love 3

Alcohol being a key reason why! As someone else said, serve the booze and watch 'em loosen the hell up!

I also wonder if by the Oscars the stars are so spent from doing their juicing/cleansing diets in order to fit into a certain dress or suit that they're literally out of it. GG's is at the beginning of the awards season. Oscars is at the end and most of the stars haven't eaten in about a month.

• Love 4

Funny (but not really) that wanting equal rights for women is considered "political grandstanding." 

I don't disagree with what she said, but to bring it up during an awards show?  It is.  It's not the time or the place.

It's not "political" (as in parties) but it's an issue on the DC stage.

Edited by OriginalCyn

I don't disagree about it, but to bring it up during an awards show?  It is.  It's not the time or the place.

Maybe it isn't, but she isn't the first. Susan Sarandon has made a hobby out of those kinds of speeches. It's Oscar tradition, fair or foul.

• Love 1