Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, susannah said:

If the victim presses charges, they most likely are.

True.  But a lot of times, like in this case, they don't call the police or decline to press charges which is why everyone who is saying that he'd absolutely be arrested is something I disagree with.  Many times it's just broken up and people go on their way.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I am so tired of this attitude that resorting to violence on behalf to someone else is love. Most of the time “sticking up for your wife” is just an excuse for being an asshole. Will could have actually stuck up for his wife by using his fame and the publicity to point out how shitty that specific joke was.

Thank you! Or he could have let his wife handle it on her own, even. Or he could have ignored it and ranted until he died, at home!

• Love 15
40 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

True.  But a lot of times, like in this case, they don't call the police or decline to press charges which is why everyone who is saying that he'd absolutely be arrested is something I disagree with.  Many times it's just broken up and people go on their way.

Yes, of course, unless the victim presses charges, the police can't do anything, in a minor scuffle. Obviously in a more serious situation, that's not necessary.

2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I'm sorry that people will feel that this overshadowing the show too much but people in general don't care about these movies. Even more than usual. None of these has a audience except for Dune and Encanto. Even West Side Story mostly flopped. The show would of mostly been forgotten otherwise except for cinephiles.

We're in a streaming age now. Five of the Best Picture nominees debuted on a streaming service either instead of or in addition to wide release in theaters. The other five were all available to stream as part of a subscription (Netflix, Disney, HBO, etc.) or watch at home via rental weeks or months before the telecast.

So, you can't look at box-office numbers alone and generalize about no one caring about the movies. Don't Look Up was the second-most-streamed movie in the history of Netflix. Not everyone loved it, of course, but it got watched a lot. 

Also, maybe some people watch the ceremony to see their favorite stars, then they see clips or hear what someone says and they think, "That looks interesting." Many years ago, if the movie wasn't still playing near them, their only hope would have been catching it on television years later.  

2 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I hope this isn't "too soon", but...

The Academy Awards have been trying to figure out for years how to punch things up a bit. I don't think what happened tonight with Will Smith and Chris Rock was what they had in mind.

I have no doubt that in future years they'll use it in marketing somehow, even if obliquely so as not to be accused of bad taste. Maybe a shot of Will and Jada seated together while the announcer says "The Academy Awards...where anything can happen!"

The Oscars finally has its "Stephen and Irene' moment. 

27 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I'm absolutely disgusted with Will Smith and will never watch any of his movies again. I've thought for a long time that Jada and the two kids they have together are the height of obnoxiousness with their cringey "red table talks," being friends with the Kardashians, and whatnot [...]

When the story below broke about ten years ago, I was done with them. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-will-and-jada-pinkett-smiths-scientology-school

But I did see King Richard as pre-Oscars due diligence, even though biopics are usually a chore for me to get through. It's a decent movie. Will typically doesn't choose projects I have an interest in, so he's easy for me to avoid. Jada does so even less often. I swear, I don't think I've seen her in a movie since Scream 2

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Love 5

I hope they show up next year and the Academy gets Ricky Gervais. 

Not transphobe Ricky Gervais. Honestly all the boys club "cancel culture" comedians can pack up their things and go. 

That doesn’t mean Chris knew but he certainly does know that hair is a sensitive issue particularly in black culture. 

The man made a WHOLE MOVIE about it

• Love 11

After watching Flee over the weekend I really am gutted it went home empty handed. Although the script the ladies were given for the introduction to Best Animated Feature pretty much confirmed that it was never going to win that award since it seems the Academy views animation only worthy of telling stories that children can enjoy.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

In this case I'll allow it. Lets Liza get up on stage and feel the love from the audience while she's still with us.

Also - as they were doing anniversaries - this is the 50th anniversary of Cabaret and Liza had won an oscar for best actress.

They probably mentioned it, but I missed it.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, bosawks said:

Will shouldn’t be nervous about tomorrow he should be scared shitless about Chris’ next HBO special.

I just heard this morning Chris has a show in Boston this week.  One of the hosts of a radio show I listen to (Toucher and Rich) - already had plans on seeing him.

I am sure we will get a full report after the show.

• Love 6

OK, while I most certainly do not think Mr. Rock's joke about Ms. Pickett-Smith deserved a physical assault from Mr. Smith (and why was he allowed to get ON STAGE during that?) and believe that, at most, Mr. Smith should have just VERBALLY made his objections known, I can't help but think that Mr. Rock will consider this one of the highlights of his life/career.

I mean if Mr. Smith had been a total unknown and/or it had happened off-camera, I can imagine that Mr. Rock wouldn't have hesitated to  have called security then the cops and pressed charges against a random assaulter.

However, the fact that it happened live in front of a worldwide audience of about a billion folks likely will be one wind up being one of the most iconic of all Oscar moments ranking with (if not above) the man who streaked the stage starkers behind David Niven while the latter was about to introduce Elizabeth Taylor to present an award in 1974!

And all the above is NOT remotely any kind of praise or justification but an explanation  about  the sad fact of contemporary life re priorities of publicity and notoriety over right and wrong. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 5

Wil Smith just powered up every internet racist out there, with comment sections of various online news sites now overflowing with hate-filled schadenfreude about the Academy's efforts at diversity and inclusion.

Way to go, Mr. Smith.

It all makes me so angry.   Had it been some rando, he would have been rushed by security, dragged out of there and prosecuted.  Instead, not only does Wil Smith go scot-free, they hand him one of the biggest awards in America minutes later.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 22
36 minutes ago, Blergh said:

However, the fact that it happened live in front of a worldwide audience of about a billion folks likely will be one wind up being one of the most iconic of all Oscar moments ranking with (if not above) the man who streaked the stage starkers behind David Niven while the latter was about to introduce Elizabeth Taylor to present an award in 1974!

Oh, yeah. It instantly went into the pantheon with the Niven streaker, Sacheen Littlefeather, Vanessa Redgrave excoriating "Zionist hoodlums" (and getting upbraided shortly after by Paddy Chayefsky), Snow White duetting with Rob Lowe, Benigni walking on the seats, Halle hyperventilating, the Best Picture blunder of 2017...

Whatever one's take on the behavior of the people involved, it's assured of being in every "Oscar history" article. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 10
54 minutes ago, Macbeth1966 said:

Did apologize to the man he assaulted.? NO!  Strike 3.

Why would anyone give him the benefit of a doubt after this?

I read that Chris Rock went over and apologized to him.

As long as somebody believes Wil Smith can make money for them, they will be happy to take him seriously.

• Love 4

“The person who was slapped declined to press charges” was definitely not on my Oscars bingo card.

I’m still unclear why the Oscars needs a host, because they don’t have very much to do, but Wanda, Amy and Regina all did very well.  Amy’s “what’s that” to Wanda and Regina mentioning Black Twitter was funny as was their reaction  to it.

One thing that went over my head was when Wanda was pretending to be Richard Williams, and Regina and Amy were supposed to be Venus and Serena.  Why was Regina dressed like that?  How did Venus and Serena get to whatever Regina was and Spider-Man?

Will’s absolute nonsense makes me feel badly for Questlove, Venus and Serena.  The ladies especially did not need that shit associated with them.  And Questlove’s speech was probably half-heard because everyone in the TV audience was reading social media when he was giving it.

• Love 22

Why do they always fuck up the In Memoriam segment?

60 years of Bond and they leave out one of the greatest movie stunts of all time? Rick Sylvester's ski jump freefall is amazing, even for today.

Not surprised that Dune won all the tech awards.  The movie is visually and aurally stunning.

Edited by Tachi Rocinante
  • Love 14

Can't help but wonder if Will Smith had punched/slapped Amy Schumer - would THAT have been glossed over too? No charges laid?

Will was laughing at Chris Rock's joke about Jada at first... until he saw Jada's eye-rolling reaction (or it dawned on him that his wife had been insulted) and THEN decided to defend her.

Best of the moment was Denzel's advice to Will, although the devil has probably already visited Will.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, Dani said:

That doesn’t mean Chris knew but he certainly does know that hair is a sensitive issue particularly in black culture. 

well in 2009 he did produce and narrate a documentary on the topic — ‘good hair.’ but poking at sensitive issues is the very basis of comedy — and the man is a comedian — so… 

• Love 10

Watch the top moments from the 2022 Oscars in 4 minutes
NBC News   Mar 28, 2022

FYI:
Oscars 2022 winners list: Will Smith, Jessica Chastain, CODA win big at wildest Academy Awards in years
By Joey Nolfi      March 28, 2022
https://ew.com/awards/oscars/2022-oscars-winners-list/

You can watch the winners' acceptance speeches and other clips from last night's Oscars by going to ABC's YouTube videos page.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Simon Boccanegra said:

This is my favorite "In Memoriam" segment from the Oscars, at least of the ones I can remember.  Yes, they used a song with lyrics, but the presentation is beautifully understated and haunting. 

exactly — perfect song, focus on those who’ve passed — it ain’t rocket science!

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

One thing that went over my head was when Wanda was pretending to be Richard Williams, and Regina and Amy were supposed to be Venus and Serena.  Why was Regina dressed like that?  How did Venus and Serena get to whatever Regina was and Spider-Man?

Regina said that she always wanted to dress like a crazy white lady so she was Venus as Tammy Faye. I forget what Amy said about being Spider-Man.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Even before Will smacked Chris social media was lit up talking about the winners, angry that 8 awards had been given out during the red carpet, wishing the honorary wins for Sam Jackson et al were in the main show, etc., so ABC can shut it with their belief that no one watches the show. The number of people watching the show is as high as it's ever been we just don't live in a Nielson ratings world anymore. Just focus on putting on a good show because people are watching. 

• Love 16
44 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Best of the moment was Denzel's advice to Will, although the devil has probably already visited Will.

What did Denzel say?  I heard the joke this morning.   Yeah it wasn't really funny but not sure why it caused Will to go cuckoo violent crazy over.  Jada has had very short hair before and she looks good that way.  Really all that joke warranted was an eye roll.  If he really was upset he should've talked to Chris AFTER the show.  All the swearing made Will look like an A**hole.

Also, in his speech he mentioned I know in the industry we're just supposed to take abuse and accept it.  Really, that joke is "abuse" in his eyes?

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Who thinks that Will Smith and Chris Rock will co-present the award for Best Actress next year? (Also surprised no one has made a joke about Smith/Ali yet.)

Probably, but for PR purposes, they’ll surely do something together sooner to show that this can all be “laughed off.”  Like someone said upthread, Chris will almost certainly be on SNL next week, barring an immovable work commitment.  And I’d bet $100 that Lorne Michaels is working the phones to try to get Will and Diddy on for a cold open.  That would get SNL a hit of the buzz that they are always chasing.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

Yeah it wasn't really funny but not sure why it caused Will to go cuckoo violent crazy over. 

I suspect he would not have if someone else had made the same joke, but the Smiths have had beef with Chris Rock for years. Jada Pinkett-Smith was a target of his Oscar humor in 2016 as well. That was the year Pinkett-Smith said she was boycotting the ceremony because the nominees were not diverse enough (and her husband had been snubbed for his leading role in Concussion). Rock said, "Jada got mad, said she’s not coming. Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited.”

Then he said Will not being nominated for Concussion was an outrage on par with Will getting $20 million for Wild Wild West (the 1999 debacle).

• Useful 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 8

I get that the joke about Jada Pinkett was in poor taste considering she suffers from alopecia... but since when was it written that all jokes at the Oscars had to be tasteful?  What about David Letterman's infamous "Uma, Oprah" exchange?  What about Seth MacFarlane and the (taped and planned) "We Saw Your Boobs"? 

Even within the same few minutes, Chris Rock insulted Penelope and Javier with a really sexist joke, implying it was ok for her to win Best Actress and him lose Best Actor, but if he wins Best Actor and she loses Best Actress, then look out, because woman gonna get bitchy because, you know, all women are beeyotches who can't handle when their man is better than them, right?

I just can't fathom why Will Smith, who got his start in comedy himself, couldn't just let it go.  This should have been a night where people remember him for winning Best Actor, instead, no one will remember anything but him physically assaulting another actor, and another black actor at that.  His speech and his tears were particularly empty considering that he never actually even apologised to Chris Rock.

Kudos to Denzel for pulling Will aside and talking to him after the incident.  Denzel proves once again why he is one of Hollywood's class acts.  The Academy should take away Will's Oscar and give it to Denzel.

In other news, I was a bit disappointed that all the acting awards went as expected.  I guess they wanted to make up for last year when Viola and Chadwick were largely predicted to win, and both were surprise losses.  I like Jessica Chastain but I was really hoping for Penelope Cruz to pull off the win.

Thrilled for Kenneth Branagh, can't believe this was his first win.  I didn't want Belfast to get shut out and I'm happy it got some recognition.

I like everything about the "No Time to Die" song except Billie Eilish's vocals.  The piano and music are haunting and amazing.  Her singing was boring.  And Rami Malek introducing the song, walking towards the camera, seemed so stiff and awkward.

I know they were trying to cut out time by not having presenters introduce each movie as in the past, but I would have loved to have seen Caitriona Balfe and Jamie Dornan introducing "Belfast".  Instead, they caved in to the backlash and aired clips of the awards that were awarded pre=telecast.

Wesley Snipes... is he ok?  Dude looked awfully thin and gaunt.

I know Liza Minnelli had encephalitis not too long ago, so it was good to see her, even if she seemed a bit out of it.  I'm not a particularly big fan of Gaga so when they said she was presenting Best Picture I was like "huh? why couldn't they have gotten Kevin Costner to do BP" but then there was the surprise appearance with Liza.  I thought Gaga was great, she was so supportive and patient and made it clear that the spotlight should be on Liza.

14 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Oh no, it's the one of two guys who say their name in every song that they do.

Get off the stage, you're not an actor!

I missed the opening.  I know you're talking about DJ Khaled, but when I read this, I immediately thought of  🎵 JAY-suhn... de-ROO-low 🎵

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I just can't fathom why Will Smith, who got his start in comedy himself, couldn't just let it go.  This should have been a night where people remember him for winning Best Actor, instead, no one will remember anything but him physically assaulting another actor, and another black actor at that.  His speech and his tears were particularly empty considering that he never actually even apologised to Chris Rock.

Are we to believe he has never been this quick to anger before?  And it was like he had to be told he did something wrong.  I honestly don't think he thought he did. That joke is not the worst thing someone has said about Jada.  Was this the first time Will had a clear shot to do something about it?  If you had told me someone was going to slap someone at the Oscars and there last name was Smith I would have bet money on Jada.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11

This is the 50th anniversary of The Godfather. Not Godfather II, or that horrible III.

I was perfectly okay with the scenes from Godfather II, because we saw how ice cold Michael had become and a yummilicious 22 year-old Robert DeNiro. We should have seen MORE from The Godfather, dammit.

And too much of Daniel Craig's Bond! Not a fan (I know-that's so unpopular), but there should have been MORE Connery, More Moore, and definitely MORE of Brosnan's Bond! (Whaaaat?)

Even this morning, I'm still pissed at the in Memoriam, and that tag that we can go to their site to see the full segment. No thanks. They could have aired them all, if they'd cut out Bill Murray and whoever it was that was talking about Sidney Poitier, and instead just played scenes from the movies. I remember being pleasantly surprised when they added SriDevi a few years ago, when she died. And then Shashi and Rishi Kapoor (Yes, they were uncle/nephew). I thought, oh, so Bollywood actors are no longer exempt or considered the red-headed step children? But then they don't even mention Dilip Kumar, who was such a talent, or even Lata Mangeshkar (even though she was a singer). But BAFTA at least did include them.

As others have stated up thread, the less said about Will Smith, the better.

ETA: And this may be petty, but I'm so glad there were no awards for Being the Ricardos. Hell, even that clip of Simmons as William Frawley was awful. Simmons is a great actor, but that didn't even sound close to how the real Frawley sounded.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Racj82 said:

He said she looked like GI Jane. It's not even insulting in any context.

It was insulting,  He wouldn't have said it if he had not meant it to be taken as such.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5