Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Takes thus far...

Sweet Chocolate Jesus this is going to run late.

Kimmel can keep coming back.

Nice production values.  Talented editors for the clip segments.

Superbowl level of premium advertisers and commercials.  The new $$ ad event?

Lots of tongues will be wagging in the body politic.  I detect a bit of feistiness :)

Especially enjoyed Eva Marie Saint being startled and noticeably disturbed by the robot cam that has apparently replaced the guy in the tux and the Steadicam.

Edited by kib
  • Love 3

Dunkirk was an interesting movie, but I never could tell which guy was which -- similar appearance plus the same clothes?  Nope, can't do it.  I always have that problem with war movies, though.

1 minute ago, SnoGirl said:

Porgs made it into the Oscars. Lol, dang penguins.

More like puffins, since they can fly.  :)

• Love 2

That was a really cool Montage what a great way to honor some of the most classic and amazing movies of all time. But I got to admit that it also reminds me of all the movies of modern-day just not living up to those amazing films way back when or even all the way back to the eighties and seventies It's just sad to see that a lot of films no longer have the heart or the ability to touch you like they used to be able to and transport you to a different world like all good art should do and I feel like they need to get back to doing that so that we don't end up with montages that once you go past the eighties and nineties you're left with empty hearted junk. I mean can you really have a setup like a montage featuring Casablanca and Dinner at Tiffany's and My Fair Lady and then show Twilight? LOL I mean it hurts to even think it.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Neeners said:

hahaha she was videoing it and the guy next to him was giggling.

I loved her taping his speech from the back row. I hope they dvr'd the show to get some usable footage 

1 minute ago, topanga said:

What is sound mixing vs. sound editing? 

Best I can explain is: if you can hear music but not the singing (aka La La Land) it’s poor mixing. If the sound doesn’t match what’s onscreen it’s poor editing. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, TV Mercenary said:

That was a really cool Montage what a great way to honor some of the most classic and amazing movies of all time. But I got to admit that it also reminds me of all the movies of modern-day just not living up to those amazing films way back when or even all the way back to the eighties and seventies It's just sad to see that a lot of films no longer have the heart or the ability to touch you like they used to be able to and transport you to a different world like all good art should do and I feel like they need to get back to doing that so that we don't end up with montages that once you go past the eighties and nineties you're left with empty hearted junk. I mean can you really have a setup like a montage featuring Casablanca and Dinner at Tiffany's and My Fair Lady and then show Twilight? LOL I mean it hurts to even think it.

ITA - it's why I spend so much time watching Turner Classics and so little time going to the theater to see a movie now.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, topanga said:

What is sound mixing vs. sound editing? 

Editing is creating/recording new sounds, like adding in the sound of bullets to some film.

Mixing is layering sounds, like dialogue with background music or special effects.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Editing is taking things out or leaving them in. Mixing is putting them all together.

6 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

the short version:

Sound editing is collecting the sounds as there's a lot of sounds that don't get picked up by the microphones during the filming.  Sound mixing is splicing the collected sounds into the final prodution.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/movies/sound-mixing-sound-editing-explainer.html

You guys are the best. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Dunkirk was an interesting movie, but I never could tell which guy was which -- similar appearance plus the same clothes?  Nope, can't do it.  I always have that problem with war movies, though.

More like puffins, since they can fly.  :)

You're not alone - Vulture had a whole piece about distinguishing between all the young, dark-haired, high-cheekboned guys in the movie. :) I also heard something similar in a podcast before I saw the movie - I think knowing about it beforehand helped!

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I lurve Donald Sutherland.

Apparently he was quite jack up about receiving the award.  Too bad they could honor him live in tonight's broadcast.

Edited by kib
  • Love 5
(edited)

I want a movie starring Lupita and Chris... err, I mean, "Kumail."

The Shape of Water finally wins something!

Not sure what will be best about a party with a Canadian crew: the actual party or the aftermath, when everyone is apologizing for the antics that happened.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 7
(edited)

Lupita is GOALS every damn day.  And then she signs to do a movie with Viola Davis.  A movie that probably wouldn't have been thought about 3 years ago.  

Edited by mtlchick
It's been a long day.
  • Love 10