Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can't with Sally Hawkins. That looks like what Carrie White's prom dress should have actually been. She looks like a sister wife who went nuts with a bedazzler. I will never understand this strain of awards show fashion.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, ProudMary said:
13 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Is he with Sally Field's son?

LOL
He's there with Mirai Nagasu.

It pisses me off because I think Adam Rippon and Mirai Nagasu are trying to replace Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski as correspondents, and I truly hope that doesn't happen.

• Love 1

I feel like I missed out on half of the key fashion looks. & I dunno if I'll stay awake for the show. Before this thread closes out until next year, I'd like to toast to the late, great, Joan Rivers! Fashion recap has never been the same since she passed....

• Love 8

Oh boy... Nicole Kidman. That bodice looks... hard. Like it's not even attempting to serve a function covering and lifting her breasts. And that bow. I do like that she doesn't half ass things. She commits. 

• Love 3

I love the set -- not the surrounding arc of salt/sugar crystals, but the Art Deco-style metallic background.  Looks great for formal wear.

• Love 8

I'm having one of those Oscar years where I don't want cutesy musical numbers, no cheesy jokes, no bullshit, no dragging out movie star corpses (please, no more Kirk Douglas who looks already freeze dried) - just hand out the awards, and the show will be under two hours, and there you have it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hello, all. I can't really stay to talk to because I cooked dinner today and I am dog tired, so I'm really not up for commenting. So here's what I got to say: If I opened the Oscars, it would be a bunch of people dressed like aristocrats from 18th Century France singing the Ascot Gavotte from My Fair Lady while clips from Movie 43 and The Garbage Pail Kids play in the background.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 1

I never really cared for Kimmel (other than the feud with Matt Damon) but I've got a soft spot in my heart for him because of the situation with his son and how he spoke out about health care.  

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Found Emily Blunt... I don't hate it. The placement of the appliques is just a bit off. It's very Cate Blanchett.

Yes, on second look it isn't as bad as when I first saw it.

Oh boy. I found Saoirse. On the one hand, it's that bland very basic (almost made by a beginner sewing student) pink dress that reminds me of what Anne Hathaway and Gwyneth Paltrow wore when they won. (I have a theory that you don't get to win wearing your best outfit.) But then there's the terrible bow thing in the back that seems like it's inspired by Korean traditional dress. Except bad. And the crazy stiletto pumps that match but don't go with the dress at all. WTF?

• Love 1

Are Meryl Streep and Alison Janney wearing the same dress?  At a minimum, they are wearing the same color and similar design!  Bright red works on them.  I guess the Oscars decided not to make the all-black statement of the Golden Globes and the BAFTA award ceremony. 

• Love 2