Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't watch Kimmel's show, but I admire him for speaking up about healthcare.

I think he does a good job hosting, with a few exceptions(that weird thing with the tourists last year).  He seems like a good guy.

• Love 8

I'm torn on Kimmel. On the one hand, I remember the Man Show, so a lot of this monologue feels a little hypocritical. On the other hand, that was many years ago and people can mature, and I admire his speaking out re: healthcare.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I never really cared for Kimmel (other than the feud with Matt Damon) but I've got a soft spot in my heart for him because of the situation with his son and how he spoke out about health care.  

Oh I have a soft spot for him because of his son and how he spoke out about heath care, but I just don't find him funny/witty enough to be hosting something like the Oscars. 

• Love 4

oh holy fucking shit. i loved gorgeous sandra bullock. what the fuck did she do to her cheeks. oh... my ...god... no... [/frasier voice]

nicole kidman was wearing some kind of stiff upholstery 

• Love 5
Just now, Ohwell said:

Oh I have a soft spot for him because of his son and how he spoke out about heath care, but I just don't find him funny/witty enough to be hosting something like the Oscars.

I agree with this. I like what he speaks out about, but concur that I do not find him witty enough to host the Oscars.

• Love 2

Normally I would not be as charitable to Lesley Manville but considering she's nominated for Phantom Thread, I like the dress. I like all the little strips of fabric and the soft tulle/organza (?) wrapping around her arms. It's a subtle way of showing the work and the movement and texture you can create with fabric without being an exposed corset or a ton of pleats/ruching/draping. She's glowing in the picture I'm looking at but otherwise I hold to my confusion on white actresses wearing pale colors that wash them out.

So many good actors in that Supporting category.  Love Willem Dafoe, Christopher Plummer,  and that other guy.  (Sorry! Lol).  Happy for Sam Rockwell; I loved him and hated him in Three Billboards.   So good. 

• Love 4