Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Devils You Know

• Start Topic

Love how the look on Ward's face went from "We've got this" to "Oh crap, it's May, we can't win this fight there's less than 50 of us."  It would have been smarter for Ward just to run, instead of having his mooks kill Andrew.  And on that point, I'm on Hunter's side.  It's one life against a lot of lives.  You've gotta choose the lives of many, over the life of one.  You couldn't let Ward get away with those weapons.

• Love 9

I was disappointed that Ward got away, but I suppose his death probably wouldn't happen until at least half way through the season. I did like that May was there as backup, though she should have realized that her guy going to be killed regardless of what she does :(.

I can't wait for next weeks episode, I want to know what happened to Simmons. And I'm glad that she is going to tell Fitz (and the audience).

Also I liked the stuff with Mac and Daisy (still weird to say), just wish the guy didn't attack then so we could have seen their base. I wonder why he didn't go after Daisy.

• Love 1

Holy crap! Did they really kill Andrew? Seriously? 

Granted, this is the MCU, and you pretty much cant count anyone as dead until you've driven a stake through their heart (and even then, its iffy), so its possible that's not the end of Andrew. We never saw a body after all. 

Ward can not die soon enough. I hate hate HATE that smarmy fucker. Him and all his stupid Hydra friends all just need to climb into a big hole and die. 

Yeah Coulson. Conspiracies are so stupid. Its not like your whole organization that patrolled the world using advanced surveillance was secretly taken over by Nazi Fascists that were being lead by a crazy 1940s mad scientist who lives in a computer, running an elaborate plot to turn the world into a police state, and one of your own people was in on it…oh wait.

• Love 4

Yeah Coulson. Conspiracies are so stupid. Its not like your whole organization that patrolled the world using advanced surveillance was secretly taken over by Nazi Fascists that were being lead by a crazy 1940s mad scientist who lives in a computer, running an elaborate plot to turn the world into a police state, and one of your own people was in on it…oh wait.

Hey, Zola was sane.

Sooo... the right hand man commando guy is Lash, right?

There was a convenient cut right to Rosalind when they said anyone could be Lash, but she is too good a character without being Inhuman.

• Love 1

I don't think Andrew is dead. I think Andrew is Lash. The expression of the Hydra dude as he ran from that store was one of abject terror. And if you think about it...that he left May suddenly, started working for SHIELD...gives him inside access. He's "one of them", so if he changes form, no one would suspect him. Even the episode title implies it. And the fact that he let Daisy live. It all makes sense.

Edited by scarletine
  • Love 21

Oh man. I hope they didn't kill off Andrew. I really like him and May, and this is from someone who was a Phil/May shipper. I'm hoping for an eleventh hour save from Phil. Fingers crossed. I just hope Andrew wasn't sacrificed for Hunter and Bobbi's story.

I'm glad May is back, it was like she never left. Wish we would have seen her go and see Simmons. I know she was focused, but I can't believe she wouldn't have searched out at least a glimpse of her.

Hunter's plan was so dumb. He didn't have a single weapon on him? And he winged Ward. At this point, I have no idea whose going to finish award. I'm personally rooting for Ward sacrificing himself for Fitz and Simmons. Bring their story for circle, and not having him save Daisy or having Phil/May/Hunter/Bobbi off him.

Loved Bobbi's interactions with Fitz and Simmons. All three have great chemistry with each other. I wish Hunter wasn't off on his vendetta, his chemistry with Fitz is fantastic.

Oh man. I hope that Simmons doesn't have an alien love. Or a child she found that she's protecting. Stay away from the those stories. Although I can't even imagine any other story where Simmons would leave earth, and frankly Fitz, to go back.

You think they're going to make us wait two weeks to see what happened to Andrew?

• Love 5

Sooo... the right hand man commando guy is Lash, right?

There was a convenient cut right to Rosalind when they said anyone could be Lash, but she is too good a character without being Inhuman.

That was my first thought too, but he was on the train with Rosalind in the pilot which means he couldn'r have been at the hospital attacking Lincoln and Daisy at the same time.  Ros and Coulson both got the call about the attack at the hospital, so that gives him an alibi.

So glad that May reached out to Coulson this episode.  I've liked the dynamic between May and Hunter so far, but it would have been way out of character for her to go along with his seriously crazy lack of plan.  Wow did he ever have a death wish.  I know he wanted Ward dead before Bobbi was well enough to try to do it herself, but he was way too desperate to craft a workable plan. As for Andrew, I'm choosing to believe since we only saw feet on the guy left knocked out in the convenience store that he somehow made it away.   It seems like a deliberate move that the shot didn't show a face, skin or even a shirt.

Simmon's recovery continues to be interesting.  It seems like the writers are making an effort to make the process of reacclimating to Earth after time in space realistic.  I really liked that taste was one of the things she mentioned as being off since her return, since a disruption in taste is a common effect of space travel.

I don't think Andrew is dead. I think Andrew is Lash. The expression of the Hydra dude as he ran from that store was one of abject terror. And if you think about it...that he left May suddenly, started working for SHIELD...gives him inside access. He's "one of them", so if he changes form, no one would suspect him. Even the episode title implies it. And the fact that he let Daisy live. It all makes sense.

This is an interesting theory!  I wouldn't have considered it, but it's not completely crazy.  :)  It also might explain the weird exchange between Andrew and Coulson when he found out Alisha had joined the team.  I know consulting on Inhumans is his thing, but he's only there to give recommendations and not be the boss of who can and cannot be in the field.  

Edited by xqueenfrostine
  • Love 4

I'm not going to believe that Andrew's dead until we have a funeral with a body on display.  But I'm betting there will "be no trace of his body" or something next week because he's laying low since he knows people are out to kill him.  ... Even though his part in the story is fairly small, I really don't want him to die.  Good job, show, making me care, grr.

The thought that he might be Lash is interesting (and with him pulling a disappearing act on May, there's possibility there), but since I like Andrew, I hope that isn't the case as well.  Because then he would definitely have to die (unless there's something more to the killing inhumans thing, which there probably is, but still).  For this reason, I am in favor of Lash being someone we don't know yet.

I can't wait to hear about Simmons' alien planet time.  I concur with the please-no-alien-lovers.  Maybe there's something on the planet that could save the world or something.

• Love 3

It was short-lived, but I so loved watching Ward being all cocky with Hunter, but as soon as Melinda popped in, you could see in his face, he was thinking "Oh, fuck!  This is not good!"  I love that underneath all the bravo and boasting, Melinda gets to him.  I truly think she terrifies him.  But that said, it doesn't stop him from going after her where it hurts the most.  I totally had a bad feeling that something was going to happen with Andrew.  Since we didn't see his face though, I wonder if it will be fake-out somehow, but I have to think this is going to be ugly.  And even though I think Hunter did make the right call, I have to think he's now on Melinda's shit-list, which is the worst list of all time.  Again though, no body, so I'll wait and see.  I do think the possibility of him being an Inhuman could happen.

Or maybe Lash too, but right now, my money is on Rosalind's henchman.  The scene of Mack and Daisy wondering who it could be and her popping in, was a bit too on the nose for it to be her, I think.  But the henchman that suddenly ran off ahead of them, pretty sure wasn't there for the initial meeting at the beginning, and played by "Hey, it's that Guy, who is always a Bad Guy", Andrew Howard?  Yeah, I can totally see him as Lash.

Continue to love the Mack/Daisy partnership.  Especially since they both continue to not be afraid to call out Coulson, if they think he might not be making the right call.  It being Coulson though, I do think he might be planning something.  And I do get a kick out of his banter with Rosalind.

Simmons recovery continues to be interesting, and I'm glad she's finally letting Fitz into her plans.  Good for her, him, and Bobbi, since she now no longer has to keep hiding it from him.  I am enjoying the trio.  Loved how Bobbi's method of bagging evidence is getting on Fitz and Simmons nerves.

Next week should be insane!

• Love 1

Or maybe Lash too, but right now, my money is on Rosalind's henchman.  The scene of Mack and Daisy wondering who it could be and her popping in, was a bit too on the nose for it to be her, I think.  But the henchman that suddenly ran off ahead of them, pretty sure wasn't there for the initial meeting at the beginning, and played by "Hey, it's that Guy, who is always a Bad Guy", Andrew Howard?  Yeah, I can totally see him as Lash.

It can't be Rosalind's henchman.  He was who I first thought of too, but I went back and checked the premiere episode and he was definitely with Rosalind on the train when she (and Coulson!) got the call about Lash's ongoing attack at the hospital Lincoln worked at.  So unless one of his inhuman powers is being in two places at once, it's not him.  

Edited by xqueenfrostine
  • Love 2

Ooh, nice theory. And now I really really want Andrew to be Lash. It would make Lash (and Andrew) a lot more interesting to me, and it's one twist that I definitely did not see coming. Plus there was some nice setup with Andrew's judging the new Inhumans as a SHIELD consultant, and his talk to Daisy about being a leader of Inhumans.

• Love 2

Well, Andrew can't be dead. It didn't show him die, it didn't show his face, and Strucker Jr looked way too scared for it to be a coincidence. Therefore, Andrew will pop up sooner or later. But him being Lash? I never even considered it, but it would be neat. Unfortunately, it also means he might be dead for reals by the end, so I'm not thrilled with that idea. But hey, if they can find a way to have Andrew be Lash and not be killed off, then I'm all for it. There could be hints about it, so...eh, why not? I mean, this wouldn't be the craziest twist, though it might be up there with Ward being HYDRA (and look where that's led us!) but as long as Lashdrew gets to deliver a blow to Ward, then I'll be happy.

I'm glad Simmons told Fitz about her wanting to go back. It's nice that she got to open up to him a little bit. 

I do think Coulson is up to something. Why he hasn't told anyone yet, I'm not sure, but his easy partnership with Rosalind and her team is suspicious. It has to be more than just protecting Daisy.

The look on Ward's face when May came in to help Hunter was priceless. It was a total 'oh shit' moment. And at least Hunter got one shot in, even if it's not fatal.

I still love the different dynamics.

• Love 2

It can't be Rosalind's henchman.  He was who I first thought of too, but I went back and checked the premiere episode and he was definitely with Rosalind on the train when she (and Coulson!) got the call about Lash's ongoing attack at the hospital Lincoln worked at.  So unless one of his inhuman powers is being in two places at once, it's not him.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.  Yeah, then I don't think he's Lash, unless he somehow can be in two places at once.  Well, back to the drawling board.  Besides Andrew, I don't know who else it could be.  I do think it will be someone we already met.

Oh man. I hope that Simmons doesn't have an alien love. Or a child she found that she's protecting. Stay away from the those stories. Although I can't even imagine any other story where Simmons would leave earth, and frankly Fitz, to go back.

I swear to Neptune, if it is an alien boyfriend, I am done with this show forever.

Edited by Jack Kerouac
  • Love 2

Love how the look on Ward's face went from "We've got this" to "Oh crap, it's May, we can't win this fight there's less than 50 of us." 

It reminded me of the Red Skull ordering a retreat because Captain America showed up at his base in The First Avenger

• Love 3

I don't think Andrew's dead.  Those feet belonged to someone else.  Being Lash would be a surprise but I think someone showed up to rescue him and that's who scared Hydra Jr.   What I think would be the coolest explanation is if Andrew took out the thugs on his own because May insisted she let her train him in case he was ever a target because of her.

• Love 4

I was just coming here to post this exact comment! Great minds and all that...I hope we are right. Also, I was totally laughing at Ward's expression when May arrived.

• Love 2

I don't think Andrew's dead.  Those feet belonged to someone else.  Being Lash would be a surprise but I think someone showed up to rescue him and that's who scared Hydra Jr.   What I think would be the coolest explanation is if Andrew took out the thugs on his own because May insisted she let her train him in case he was ever a target because of her.

That was my hope. I was waiting for the moment when Andrew started kicking all their butts. The mild-mannered, intelligent professor who deep down knows a thing or two about kicking ass (especially if -- back when they were married -- he wanted to in any way keep up with May).

But I can't imagine that would strike terror into the kid who went running right before the explosion. So I have to wonder if some Inhuman came in and killed those men, saving Andrew and getting him to safety, while the kid ran the other way. After all, Andrew has been working with Inhumans, looking out for their well-being more than their benefit to SHIELD. Maybe a good guy Inhuman has been looking out for him?

Oh Hunter, I like you but that was incredibly selfish, and May is going to make you PAY.

I could understand what he meant about the needs of the many lives at risk outweighing the lives of the one, but at the same time I wondered if Hunter would still be singing that tune if it were Bobbi on that phone screen.

It wasn't selfish. It was basic sanity. Wards word is worth less than nothing. Their actual choices were. "put down their weapons, then watch as Ward has Andrew killed on live feed, then shoots their asses for being too dumb to live" and "Lets see how many bullets we can put in Ward". I was just going "Why is this even a debate"? At the screen. I mean, this is not a dilemma. It's a sucky situation because there is nothing they can do to actually save Andrew, but..

• Love 7

I'm not sure the timeline works for Andrew to be Lash. He was being attacked at the same time that Lash was attacking the truck. That is why Sk..Daisy could not back Hunter and May up, right?

I dunno though. It was night time when the truck was being attacked, but when Andrew was ambushed, it looked to be the middle of the day. Last we saw Daisy and Mack, they were in the hospital, which is why I thought they weren't with Coulson.

• Love 1

Loved when Coulson threatened Frye with a laser finger but I also loved when Rosalind later asked if it was really a laser finger. Hee!

ITA that there is no way that Ward was just going to let Andrew, May, and Hunter just walk away if they agreed to put down their weapons. I know that May is furious with Hunter and will blame him for Andrew's death, but she couldn't possibly believe that Ward was going to say, "Thanks for following my directions. Hope you guys all have a great weekend! Nice seeing you again and catching up!"

• Love 1

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.  Yeah, then I don't think he's Lash, unless he somehow can be in two places at once.  Well, back to the drawling board.  Besides Andrew, I don't know who else it could be.  I do think it will be someone we already met.

I really hope it's someone we met. If it's someone new, in an already overstuffed cast full of people I barely care about, I don't know if I can muster a lot of excitement. But then again the show does like to rely heavily on guest stars who add a lot of flash until they're inevitably killed off / disappear (Mike Peterson, Raina, Trip, Gonzalez, Hand, etc.)

• Love 1

Daisy continues to annoy me with her self-righteous attitude and snarky remarks. I wish someone would put her in her place already.

Phil and Rosalind continue to have great chemistry. The "do you really have a laser finger" line was the best of the night.

I'm glad Simmons opened up to Fitz at least partially at the end there, saying he needs his help. But Jemma, you need to come clean about why you want to go back. I think there's something on that planet that she saw or was investigating and she thinks it can help them scientifically; some sort of tech or something to research or bring back.

The firefight with Ward was great. Good to see the handsome devil again! Part of me feels that Brett Dalton's talents are being marginalized on this show because he's hardly on as much (got to get our Daisy time in and all). I'd love to see Dalton as the new MacGyver if Justin Hartley can't do it. But what I long for is Ward being redeemed or mind-wiped or turned into a double (doppelganger Ward, one good, one bad?) or captured and forced to work with the team in some way. I know, long shot.

On Andrew: I do think he's dead. They showed the blood and then the explosion. They never showed Victoria Hand's face when Ward shot her, and some, myself included, thought she could still be alive at the time. But I think the indication here was that he's gone, a price paid for Hunter calling his audible, incorrectly assuming Ward was bluffing.

I don't think Andrew's dead.  Those feet belonged to someone else.  Being Lash would be a surprise but I think someone showed up to rescue him and that's who scared Hydra Jr.   What I think would be the coolest explanation is if Andrew took out the thugs on his own because May insisted she let her train him in case he was ever a target because of her.

I'm thinking Andrew is alive and was the recepient of some one-on-one training with May during the marriage.  I hadn't thought about him being Lash...I don't want him to be and I don't want him to be dead so therefore he's not either.

Phil and Rosalind continue to have great chemistry. The "do you really have a laser finger" line was the best of the night.

I am really liking the Phil - Rosalind exchanges.  Between the lines and the looks they give each other, it is all a win for me.

I can see why Hunter wants to put him down, but I have to believe it is going to be May taking Ward out in the end.  And there will be an (excuse my use of a word that is overused) epic battle.  Especially if I-Refuse-to-Believe-Andrew-is-Dead is MIA, but May thinks Ward had him killed.  Ward's going to be hurtin' into the afterlife.

ETA:  Because spelling and grammar did not show up when I originally posted.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1

I can see why Hunter wants to put him down, but I have to believe it is going to be May taking Ward out in the end.  And there will be an (excuse my use of a word that is overused) epic battle.  Especially if I-Refuse-to-Belive-Andrew-is-Dead is MIA, but May thinks Ward had him killed.  Ward's going to be hurtin' into the afterlife.

As much as I love Ward, if anyone has to kill him I would want it to be May. The episode with Lorelei where she I believe told May that Ward loves one of the team, but not her was kind of hurtful, in a way. I always felt for May there. Of course we all knew he loved Skye, but still. May and Ward had a thing, and she had reached out to him in a compassionate way when Ward was angry and punched the SUV after Skye was shot. Plus, in Providence Ward had almost pulled the gun out to shoot May and would have if she hadn't turned around at the last second. The question is, will they kill off Ward? I doubt it since Dalton is liked by the people making the show and by the actors and he's one of the original six. They also seem to still feature him in posters and promos online as being a more featured character. There's a poster where he's standing with Coulson and Daisy. I think they have plans for him going forward, but it's going to take some tremendous writing to bring all of this together in a plausible way.

Or they kill him. LOL Or he just stays a baddie forever.

Regardless, it should be interesting!

I also think that Andrew is alive.  Strucker Jr. was scared running from the convenience store, and none of his fellow goons were with him.  It hadn't occurred to me that Andrew is Lash until reading it here, but it makes some sense.  Adding to the evidence, Strucker Jr. said something about Andrew being hard to find.  Maybe because Andrew was in Lashform attacking the truck earlier that day.

• Love 1

Yeah, I never considered Andrew could be Lash, but it actually could work. It would explain why Strucker Jr was so terrified when he ran out of the store before it blew up. I'd attributed that to it being his first kill, but if Andrew turned into a monster and took out the other bad guys, Junior would have a similar expression as he ran out and blew the place up to save himself from the creature. 

Of course, that means that after May is relieved to discover that Andrew wasn't killed, she'll just be devastated all over again because he's secretly an Inhuman villain.

The question is will they drag out the mystery all season or will they resolve it next week? I mean, I expected Simmons to be stranded on that alien world for more than one episode, but they rescued her pretty quickly. I don't want them to burn through plots too fast on this show. Especially not when they're interesting. 

Then again, if they wrap up this Lash storyline really quickly, the whole team can suit up for a jaunt to that alien planet to help Simmons get closure for… whatever happened to her over there. :D

Just realized the title is Devils You Know and not Devil You Know.

Wonder if Lash can take over and occupy multiple people's bodies to use as a host when he needs to transform and is not tied to a single body.

If Andrew = Lash, Daisy's mom would have known about him. Or Raina would have sensed him...Why would he start killing Inhumans now?

Jiaying controlled who was able to undergo terrigenesis, but I got the feeling that she and the others at Afterlife had to find people who were Inhumans. So either she never found Andrew, or perhaps she knew that Andrew was Inhuman but rejected him from undergoing terrigensis, almost like with Katya, because she sensed a darkness within. That could also explain why he's so interested in counseling gifted individuals.

Then after Skaisy released terrigen crystals into the ecosystem, he took some fish oil capsules and bam.

Edited by kitlee625

Andrew being Lash is a good theory.  The scene where Lash has killed his accomplice after the truck accident, Lash and Daisy lock eyes.  If Lash really is going around killing Inhumans, this would have been the perfect time to get her too but he just walked on by.  Why didn't he go after her?  Everyone else was knocked out and she didn't look like she was doing too well.  And changing his appearance so close to the crash site?  Maybe he didn't know he could be seen by shadow, but I would think Lash wouldn't transform so close to people seeing him.  To me, it gives Andrew being Lash a little more credibility.

I'd rather have Andrew be a different Inhuman though.  He knows Daisy and the group are trying to help the new Inhumans but at the same time, since he knows this and might possibly have gone through the transformation, why would he be keeping it a secret?

One thing that really entertained me in this episode was when Bobbi told Simmons that Fitz had yelled at her for bagging something incorrectly and Simmons immediately parroted the exact same thing as Fitz: "Well, that's just silly, B is for Blue is for Biological..."  LOL.  Nice to see that even though Simmons is pretty messed up right now, some things from her past are fully ingrained no matter what.

• Love 5

Last week AoS ended with Simmons declaring "I have to go back!" Dun Dun Dun...

This week, AoS ends with Simmons declaring "It's time I told you the truth, about everything!!" Dun Dun Dun... 

That was annoying -- the same cliffhanger, again..?  (Tho, if they went for week three, I would applaud their audaciousness.) 

Personally, I think Simmons just dropped her mobile phone on that planet and doesn't want to lose all those pictures she took of herself and Fitz. 

I'm pretty meh on Ward and his 'diabolical' machinations. That character should have been played out. Trying to keep the actor by having him appear every other episode feels lame. And - Ward was obviously planning to put May's Ex in jepardy, so why was he surprised by May being there? Duh. 

There seems to be about four plots going on : Daisy-Skye&Mac, Coulson&TaskForceLady, May&Hunter&Ward, Simmons&Fitz (&Bobbi ?) , but none of them seem to be reaching a conclusion. Now things are starting to feel repetitive and drawn out.

How many more times will Daisy&Mac have near-misses with Lash, or Lincoln, or random InHumans? How many more meet-and-greets will Coulson and TaskForceWoman have? 

I agree with the recap story. The manufactured drama of "everyone keeping secrets" is getting old. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 3

I don't think LASH is Andrew. Lash spared daisy life because he had enough inhuman energy to change . I believe he needs to kill Inhumans to regain his human self That's why he said it's necessary to kill before he killed the sensitive Inhuman Another  thing i like to talk about  Andrew's suppose demise could be real. Let's speculate 3 henchmen one strucker jr. we see a scene where someone's laying in blood from feet  to knee caps black shoes ,black slacks gas can on side leaking gasoline along with a scatter mess on the floor looks like a major rumble to me  we know so far strucker jr lives Now there's three possibilities ONE Andrew's dead TWO maybe Deathlok happen to show up after hearing the distress call to save Andrew or maybe? Andrew is an inhuman that's why he was looking at asprin because of the headaches when the henchmen came to attack him, he had to defend himself with that being, so he had no choice showing the use of his powers to live.that's why he's so passionate about helping Inhumans