Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Fires Of Heaven

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Cookie and Anika work behind Lucious' back to pull off a performance that will catch Pitbull's eye; at the same time, Lucious tries to convince Frank Gather's daughter to sign with him; and Hakeem focuses his energy on making Ménage a Trois a success. Meanwhile, Andre and Rhonda pin their hopes of a return to Empire on their baby to come.

Great episode. Barring Luscious from Empire was a good plot device. I thought most of the musical tracks were excellent. I especially enjoyed Pitbull performing with Jamal.

That Lyon family dinner was Dynasty worthy. The bitterness, tension, and snark were entertaining as hell. Cookie pulling the tablecloth and the food off the table was classic. Loved all her outfits too. OMG, Cookie in that preview,yelling that if she dies in police custody, she did not commit suicide. Bwah!

Lucious just out of prison and he is already causing problems for everyone. He is such a self-absorbed ass. He keeps going on about how he is a god. His reaction to Andre's news about the baby was so pathetic. I cannot believe that Andre did not punch him in the face. Someone has got to stab Luscious in his non-existence heart. He is begging for a "who tried to murder Luscious" plot.

I hope Jamal spending time with his father reminds him what a bastard Lucious is and how Cookie has always been there for him. Hakeem is an immature fool, but I am enjoying his determination to show up Lucious and make it on his own.

Aneeka cracked me up referring to Cookie's animal prints in her closet. I was glad she went told Cookie about Lucious' plans.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 11

Maybe my favorite episode of the season so far.

Porsha looked amazing.

Becky looked amazing.

Cookie was channeling her inner Lydia Grant, and I was so here for it.

Cookie & Anika really should band together to take Lucious down.

Lucious really should tell Andre that bi-polar disorder runs in the family, but he won't because he is THE WORST.

• Love 7

I love that the wannabe attorney general is stalking Lucious at all hours of the night.  Don't she have other cases to work on?

I hated seeing that waste of food when Cooke pulled on the tablecloth.  It looked good!

Terrence Howard gave me the creeps when he looked at Andre after he tried to manipulate him with news of the baby.  It was really the first time I could feel Lucious' evilness.

Last season, did Cookie wear so much tacky shit? What was that outfit she wore at Leviticus?

• Love 2

So much goodness! Best episode of the season!

That dinner was so amazingly soapy and melodramatic. Like a combination of Dynasty and Richard the III.

Lucious calling out Andrea for using his baby to get at Lucious is just the most hypocritical, ridiculous shit I have ever seen. Screw you, Lucious. Andre would be better off without you.

Also, how many freaking times can Lucious compare himself to God before he gets struck by lighting?

Cookie was channeling straight up Cleopatra would she crashed that party. Where the hell does she shop?

• Love 9

Good episode. Cookie reminded me of Debbie Allen in Fame, yes I'm dating myself, when she was walking around that dance room, with that pole/stick trying to whip those girls into shape.

I also died laughing when Hakeem asked Cookie where she learned how to get those girls into shape, she said prison and Hakeem gave her sharp left look, like WTF? That little boy still doesn't have a clue where mama's truly been, he don't get it.

The dinner scene was my favorite, so good. This show really is like the black Dynasty. Yeah, Cookie must be Alexis Carrington Colby, Luscious is Blake Carrington and Anika must be Krystle  Carrington. Although, Anika never made it to the altar like Crystal did. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 4

It surprised me that the prosecutor talked about Vernon as if he were still alive and ready to testify against Lucious. Gutsy move, but she can't keep bluffing forever. 

I still think Andre is going to find a way to frame Lucious for Vernon's death. How many more times is he going to beg for his father's acceptance before he decides to seek revenge? I'm not sure whether knowing his grandmother had bipolar disorder would be helpful to him, though. It would be some comfort to know it's an inherited disease and not a character flaw in him, but it could just as easily make him more worried for his unborn child. He sounded certain that it's a boy. Did Rhonda have an ultrasound offscreen, or was this another bluff?

• Love 2

I loved Hakeem's loyalty to Cookie.

He could've taken the easy route and gone back Empire, but he chose to stick it out & build with his mother. Admirable.

• Love 6

Lucious is the 21st century J.R.

Yes!  Terrance Howard Is serving Larry Hagman /JR Ewing realness! I'm loving it!  Love to hate characters are always the most fun to watch.

On the downside, I had to roll my eyes at Pitbull. He's so talentless and annoying.....probably the first time I've ever FF a Jamal song. 

The show is lacking a little bit of heart compared to last season,but its soapy goodness so I'ma stick with it. Next week looks really good.

• Love 3

Cookie is playing this all wrong. She so openly shows her hand that Lucious easily one-ups her. She should truce with Empire and take it over from within. But,then, I think she's conflicted as to how much she really wants to hurt Lucious and how much she wants him to recognize that no one will ever be as important to him as she is. I also wish Andre would show more backbone, especially with a baby on the way.

• Love 4
But,then, I think she's conflicted as to how much she really wants to hurt Lucious

I can see this. Anika, OTOH, is very much out for revenge, and I totally support that. Next week's preview

showed Anika working at Lyon Dynasty again, so hopefully that means she and Cookie are joining forces to take down the devil.

Once again, I felt bad for Andre. Hopefully, his most recent conversation with Lucious about the first Lyon grandchild has demonstrated for Andre that Lucious is incapable of giving a damn about anyone but himself.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

Aneeka cracked me up referring to Cookie's animal prints in her closet. I was glad she went told Cookie about Luscious' plans.

See, I think the audience was double bluffed there.

After the security guards shut Hakeem and Cookie's little party crash, Cookie was frantically telling their DJ to get the copy of the performance deleted off the laptop.  The DJ handed Cookie what I'm guessing was a flash drive.

Then we saw Pitbull grabbing on Cookie, delaying her from leaving.

I think Lucious's plan was to have Anika go to Cookie and be "honest" about what Lucious wanted her to do so Cookie would be open to taking her back and now Lucious has Anika on the inside.

Once Cookie came up with her party crashing plan, Anika ratted her out to Lucious and Lucious had Pit Bull ready to take the recording of Hakeem's performance.

Now Lucious is going to do exactly what Cookie said he would - take that track and change it up a little bit and then leak it for public consumption, just like Hakeen did to him with his album.

The whole Cookie desperately trying to get the DJ to get the recording and Pitbull needlessly delaying Cookie and grabbing her arm TWICE were two totally unnecessary scenes.  There will be some payoff from them.

• Love 6
I've got to be honest, I'm not feeling Empire like I used to. The show doesn't seem to have the same heart it once had. Danny Strong, if you're reading this -- pull it together.

I feel like you feel.  For me, it's that Cookie has lost bite.  The Cookie straight out of prison, ohhhhhhhh how I loved that woman.  Stalking around and confronting people while displaying no emotion.  Getting drunk and trying to fuck a bodyguard in a SUV.   Now she's too.... like... softened or weak or something.  The change in Cookie is the show's detriment in my opinion.  I really don't feel the same about the show this year and that's a shame.

Now that I understand that Dwight is Luscious and Kelly Rowland is his mom, those scenes are hilarious.  He was trying to sing Minnie Riperton to her.  Gotta imagine Maya Rudolph's reaction to that scene.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

DY, Jamal.  Making me like a Pitbull song.  That song is fire though.

I love when these people do dinner.  These scenes are always gold.  I'm a little sad this one was so spoiled in previews, but I really enjoyed it.  The level of tension when people were choking down their food was spot-on.

Imma need Lucious to stop referring himself as God.  It's weird and I feel like he's going to get some payback for being so arrogant.  I also get an extra creepy vibe when he's dealing with Freda.  I don't know if it is how the character is really being or if Terrence is just playing this a certain way.  I can't put my finger on it, but it is creeping me out.  

Also, I can't with Ford.  First of all, she needs a dickie or a jacket or something.  I don't need to know this much about her cleavage.  She isn't some vid vixen dropping it like it's hot for Pitbull, she's a government official.  Come on, man.  

I feel a bit bad for Jamal.  Becky was so right that he needs his mama and the Devil just pulls him back in with promises.  Aren't these the same promises Lucious made Keem?  Open your eyes, Jamal.  (shallow) But keep being fine.  Damn.  Dre and Jamal are all levels of beautiful.  Hakeem is a good looking kid, but those two are gorgeous men. (/shallow).

I feel like something was a little off with Taraji's make-up in the scenes where she has the zebra print jacket on.  It kept distracting me.  Her outfit at Laviticus was all the awesome though.  The costumers on this show clearly have the BEST time.  I hope Anika isn't playing Cookie b/c like many of you, I want to see Anika and Cookie truly team up.

Mirage a Trois (eye roll) was always going to be a disaster.  I agree that Cookie overplayed her hand and clearly Mr. Worldwide is a skilled pickpocket and has a copy of Hakeem's song.   So, there goes anything Lyon Dynasty really had going for them.

• Love 1

I feel like you feel. For me, it's that Cookie has lost bite. The Cookie straight out of prison, ohhhhhhhh how I loved that woman. Stalking around and confronting people while displaying no emotion. Getting drunk and trying to fuck a bodyguard in a SUV. Now she's too.... like... softened or weak or something. The change in Cookie is the show's detriment in my opinion. I really don't feel the same about the show this year and that's a shame.

This!! The Cookie from last year would have never gotten played the way she's been getting played. While I enjoy Luscious being a dick, he's definitely no JR Ewing. Everything that JR did was a means to an end, most of the time in order to benefit his family's company. Luscious on the other hand is dirty and shady out of spite and self-centeredness. For me, he's not fun to hate, he's tiresome to watch. Three episodes in and like someone up thread said, this is becoming tedious, I am going to give it a few more episodes and if it doesn't start to get back to what made this show so great, I will be out.

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 3

I wanted to love Cookie's plan to have Hakeem interrupt Lucious' party with his song more then I did, but the problem was that I knew the victory would be short-lived.  Now, granted, this show has been set in a kind of fantasy land at times, but even then, there is no denying that Lucious and Empire just have more money and power at the moment, and poking the bear like that, would come back to bite them.  So, sure enough, Lucious buys out the radio stations or something (thanks to Andre, I guess?) and even poaches Valentina, so Hakeem's little project has already been shutdown.  Just not a good night for Lyon's Dynasty.  Although, they do win out on best guest because for my money: Timberland>Pitbull.  Is Pitbull required to yell "worldwide" in every one of his songs or something?

Besides all that, Lucious is just out there stirring the pot in general.  Talk about a busy man.  He's trying to sign  Cannibal Chris Rock's daughter, trying to get Anike back on his side, trying to prevent Jamal from asking Cookie to produce him again, and continue to find various ways to treat Andre like shit.  For all the talk about family and how much he loves his sons, his treatment towards Andre in general is just horrible.  I really want Andre to wise up and realize that Lucious will never love him for various lame reasons (he's not a musician, married a white woman, his mental health, etc.)

The prosecutor is still lame as hell, but I'm all for this silly plot if Andre Royo keeps hanging around as Lucious' attorney.

The dinner scene was brief, but fun.  My favorite part was Lucious actually saving his drink before it got dragged away with the food.  Hey, I guess just because the food is done for, doesn't mean the wine has to go with it.  Lucious has his priorities in check!

• Love 2

I hope that Andre and Rhonda have end up with a girl and she's everything Lucious wished for in a grandchild, but she hates him because he makes her daddy sad. And that she enjoys Cookie and her other grandparents more. Just because we, the audience, get why Lucious has a problem with others' mental illness does not give him a pass on treating his son like garbage.  I about didn't stick this episode out solely on the lunch scene where Andre (stupidly) gives up a great move for Empire without any guarantee that he's welcomed back in.  I get  why Andre did that, but I hope the reaction to the baby news snaps Andre out of whatever hopeful fog he's in, wrt Lucious.

Becky and Porsha are still the best.

I hope there is a third girl added to Mirage a Trois and they are just fine without Valentina the Obvious Climber.

I enjoyed Cookie giving props to Mr. Gordy and The Supremes; Lucious' meds may need some tweaking if he thinks that's not something to respect.

The recap seemed down on Sway not batting an eye about just Valentina starting up with some song. Well, his new boss a) is standing on the other side of that glass and b) the new boss is backing this musical act, so since the intended act is being... "limited", why make listeners pay for BTS drama? Either way, Sway gets listeners and that's a win for him. Wins for him are wins for Lucious, unfortunately, so unless Sway quits his gig, there isn't a lot he can do about things.

I do hope we end up with some actual movement on the Vernon thing. It's three episodes in and nothing.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 4

I've never said this before....but Cookie pulling that tablecloth and crashing dinner onto the floor after what she said.....that was everything.

Loved Cookie and Anika working together.  I really hope Cookie works with her in the future, I think that they could make a fantastic team.  Anika's line about Cookie's animal prints was hilarious.

Andre made me hate Lucius this episode.  He really did.  I almost expected him to be behind Lucius with a candlestick to do him Vernon style.  Lucius would have had it coming.

Who is playing Valentina? I feel like I've seen her before.  Her acting must be on point because I don't like her, although better for Hakeem, the other two girls in the group were not cute so he will do better to get back to the drawing board.

Poor, poor Andre.  I'm so tired of seeing him beg.  Enough is enough, please give him something that will make him stop having to grovel.  I don't think I can watch that anymore.

Something is off with Cookie's hair this episode.  I liked her clothing better last season, but loved her chain corset outfit.

• Love 2

Cookie is playing this all wrong. She so openly shows her hand that Lucious easily one-ups her. She should truce with Empire and take it over from within. But,then, I think she's conflicted as to how much she really wants to hurt Lucious and how much she wants him to recognize that no one will ever be as important to him as she is. I also wish Andre would show more backbone, especially with a baby on the way.

I believe its a public company now, so I'm not sure how she could take it over from within.  Mimi, their biggest shareholder seemed very clear that out of all of them she believes Lucius is the most valuable.

I feel like everyone is making a big deal out of Lucius buying the radio stations.  And it is a big deal, but its not necessarily a death knell.  With the internet and a 24 hour news cycle there are so many new ways to get a song publicity if you have the will.  It will take work and creativity, but I think it could be done.  

I mean it was a good play for Lucius, but I don't think it necessarily spells doom for Dynasty (sorry, Lyon Dynasty just sounds weird to me)

• Love 1

Good episode. Cookie reminded me of Debbie Allen in Fame, yes I'm dating myself, when she was walking around that dance room, with that pole/stick trying to whip those girls into shape.

I was thinking of Fosse so I'm dating myself right into the Ice Age.

This just in: Stephen King is apparently an Empire fan

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/651942250553966593

My all time favorite author loves one of my favorite shows!!!!!

If there is a third season I wish there was a way to write in an appearance for SK.  He is so humble and cool.

Who is playing Valentina? I feel like I've seen her before.  Her acting must be on point because I don't like her, although better for Hakeem, the other two girls in the group were not cute so he will do better to get back to the drawing board.

Becky G plays her. I'm not too familiar with her songs.

• Love 1

See, I think the audience was double bluffed there.

After the security guards shut Hakeem and Cookie's little party crash, Cookie was frantically telling their DJ to get the copy of the performance deleted off the laptop.  The DJ handed Cookie what I'm guessing was a flash drive.

Then we saw Pitbull grabbing on Cookie, delaying her from leaving.

I think Lucious's plan was to have Anika go to Cookie and be "honest" about what Lucious wanted her to do so Cookie would be open to taking her back and now Lucious has Anika on the inside.

Once Cookie came up with her party crashing plan, Anika ratted her out to Lucious and Lucious had Pit Bull ready to take the recording of Hakeem's performance.

Now Lucious is going to do exactly what Cookie said he would - take that track and change it up a little bit and then leak it for public consumption, just like Hakeen did to him with his album.

The whole Cookie desperately trying to get the DJ to get the recording and Pitbull needlessly delaying Cookie and grabbing her arm TWICE were two totally unnecessary scenes.  There will be some payoff from them.

I think that you are on to something there. During Rosewood, there was a scene of Pitbull talking to Luscious about buying a piece of Empire. If this is happening, Pitbull planning to steal Cookie's money makes sense. I really hope that you are wrong about Anika, but you probably are not.

I thought Andre looked hot as hell in this episode. I usually don't like those Tom Ford narrow pants that he was wearing a la Daniel Craig in James Bond, but he was working it and was sex on a stick.

Becky and Porsha were fabulous. Becky got through to Jamal before the Devil intervened and I cracked up at Porsha fanning Cookie.

Edited by SimoneS

The episode wasn't my favourite but it had some good moments though. Cookie and Lucious trying to outdo each other, though Lucious won this round with nabbing that radio station and Valentina's.

It's sort of hard to care too much about Lyon Dynasty because you get the feeling that Cookie, Hakeem, Andre and Anika will all be back at Empire sooner than later or is that just me?

Cookie and Lucious's different reactions to the news of being grandparents was interesting too. Loving the flashbacks with Lucious and his mother and how they're informing his current relationship with Andre.

Jamal is better off in studio than running Empire, that's for sure, 7/10

• Love 2

I forgot to add that if Hakeem just flips suddenly and goes back to team Luscious that will be a deal breaker for me this season as well. I did love seeing Timbaland perform given his involvement IRL with this show.

• Love 2

I forgot to add that if Hakeem just flips suddenly and goes back to team Luscious that will be a deal breaker for me this season as well. I did love seeing Timbaland perform given his involvement IRL with this show.

I wouldn't be surprised. Hakeem went to Cookie basically because daddy took away his favorite toy (Camilla) and didn't give him the shinny red car he wanted for Christmas (Empire) IMO unlike Andre and Jamal, his beef with Lucious is more about a brat not getting his way. Compared to his brothers Lucious has not treated him badly. Hakeem is basically throwing a tantrum.so yea when the motives are that superficial I can see him switching especially if cookie starts to not let him get his way.

• Love 2

I'm saddened to see that this show is still doing some of the same things that it did last season.  Rapid pacing that's not allowing characters or stories to grow, meaningless cameo appearances for the most part,  TOO MANY cameo appearances in general, and lack of continuity.  Why are we three episodes in and still no real focus on Vernon?  To me, this is the same thing as when Cookie got that guy killed last season.  In the aftermath, it was as if it never happened because Cookie didn't even show any emotion as a result of it.  It was written like she had no conscience regarding the situation.  Similarly, Andre and Rhonda just carry on as if bludgeoning a man to death and illegally disposing of his body, was just a walk in the park.  I'm quite sure the police would be very interested in why neither Andre nor Rhonda called them after the incident that occurred between them and Vernon.  But this show's pacing and many continuity errors are too shitty to allow any movement on major plot occurrences.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 1

This episode was a huge improvement over the first 2 of the season. I hope Andre gets up off his knees & uses his talent. The girl group was terrible all the way around - unattractive, no singing/acting/dancing talent but I couldn't tell whether LD was trying to throw shade at Latinas who pushed him to add them. It was unfortunate that a really talented group of black girls couldn't have that shine. Becky was just a pawn Lucious used so hopefully he'll dump her for showing disloyalty to Cookie & Hakeem.

• Love 1

I wouldn't be surprised. Hakeem went to Cookie basically because daddy took away his favorite toy (Camilla) and didn't give him the shinny red car he wanted for Christmas (Empire) IMO unlike Andre and Jamal, his beef with Lucious is more about a brat not getting his way. Compared to his brothers Lucious has not treated him badly. Hakeem is basically throwing a tantrum.so yea when the motives are that superficial I can see him switching especially if cookie starts to not let him get his way.

I can fully understand your reasoning for that point of view, but LD and Yaz both stated in preseason interviews that we are going to see Hakeem grow up this season and to have him flip back over to Empire would be contrary to that information. We know that Naomi Campbell is coming back and she not only didn't take the money, she promised to make Luscious pay. Btw, I totally think Anika is playing team Cookie as well and it aggravates the hell out of me because we are cheated out of all the great stuff she and Cookie can do if they are really on the same side of bringing Luscious down.

Edited by missbonnie

Once again, I felt bad for Andre. Hopefully, his most recent conversation with Lucious about the first Lyon grandchild has demonstrated for Andre that Lucious is incapable for giving a damn about anyone but himself.

I think it's more like Lucious only gives a damn about people who can give him something he wants. And he consistently bails on people who he thinks diminishes him in some way or form (Cookie when she was in jail. Jamal when he was still in the closet. Now Andre because he has a mental illness and Lucious thinks Andre's child will be as nutty as Andre and his own mom).

• Love 1

I think it's more like Lucious only gives a damn about people who can give him something he wants. And he consistently bails on people who he thinks diminishes him in some way or form (Cookie when she was in jail. Jamal when he was still in the closet. Now Andre because he has a mental illness and Lucious thinks Andre's child will be as nutty as Andre and his own mom).

The line I loved in this weeks ep was Lucious' "Ya'll keep acting like you don't know me" and thats so true. Lucious isn't pulling the wool over anyones eyes. They know exactly who he is and should act accordingly. Andre should know his father well enough to know that begging, apologizing and trying to tug on his heartstrings isn't the way to get back into his good graces. He needs to provide something that is useful and tangible.

I do think he genuinly loves his family but when it comes to business you being family isn't enough for him you gotta bring something extra to the table. Hes going always make what he feels is the best business decision for Empire despite his family.

Edited by aprilbabe
  • Love 5

I've got to be honest, I'm not feeling Empire like I used to. The show doesn't seem to have the same heart it once had. Danny Strong, if you're reading this -- pull it together.

I don't get this.  What heart did it have last season?  

See, shows can't be the same season after season because, like in real life, stuff happens and people and situations change.

• Love 2

"Ya'll keep acting like you don't know me"

I actually got turned on by that line, I love a man arrogant in his power.

Am I the only one that’s put off by the 'And Taraji P. Henson as Cookie’ credit?  Look, I love that it is TPH’s time and it is well deserved but I’m hoping with that credit that they don’t Fonzie/Urkel the character….just leave the credits like it was, as an ensemble.

Pitbull!  Was drooling at the telly when he caliente culo came on the screen, I liked the song he did with Jamal.  DALE!

I’mma call this now but I get the feeling that Lucious isn’t Andre’s father….I was feeling that vibe last week, and when you think about it why can't Lucious forgive Andre when Jamal and Hakeem have done worse things to Lucious?

Lucious is beginning to have a J.R. Ewing-like grin at the end of some eppies, like when he knows he got over.

Were they eating roast lamb at dinner?  ‘Cause I’d straight up stab a ho if she pulled my plate onto the floor like that, I was cracking up at Lucious grabbing his wine glass.

OMG, Cookie in that preview yelling that if she dies in police custody, she did not commit suicide. Bwah!

I howled at that, she’s so stupid, lol.

• Love 3

I feel like everyone is making a big deal out of Lucius buying the radio stations. And it is a big deal, but its not necessarily a death knell. With the internet and a 24 hour news cycle there are so many new ways to get a song publicity if you have the will. It will take work and creativity, but I think it could be done.

I mean it was a good play for Lucius, but I don't think it necessarily spells doom for Dynasty (sorry, Lyon Dynasty just sounds weird to me)

Exactly. You can forge a pretty good career for yourself without radio support. Look at Lana Del Rey- her shit is hardly ever played on the radio, but she's still been very successful. Or, as another example, in 2001 Britney Spears was blacklisted from radio because she chose Pepsi to sponsor her tour rather than Clear Channel, and that obviously didn't hurt her career. As long as you're savvy enough, lack of radio play isn't going to ruin you.
  • Love 2

I guess I have bad taste because I loved that song from the girl group.  Hell all the music sounded great last night.

I agree, although I'm not to be trusted, I have "Drip Drop" on my workout MP3

• Love 10

I know the dinner scene will likely take top honors, but I'd like to nominate for Cookie's quip of the week: "Guadalupe, you need to go find your drawers!"

My other favorite moment was the look Jamal gave Hakeem when Hakeem busted in to perform at Lavidicus. Within the span of two seconds and without saying a word, Jamal was shocked, then angry, then sad, then gave a little wink like goddamned, you pulled one over on us, kudos, brother. My heart just went out to him that he showed so much emotion that I instantly had to remind myself that he's acting. Jussie (that's his name isn't it?) can really hold his own with Terrance and Taraji!

• Love 6

I don't get this. What heart did it have last season?

See, shows can't be the same season after season because, like in real life, stuff happens and people and situations change.

I agree!

The only difference between last season and this season is the fact that it isn't shiny and new. Everyone that I know still love the show. I'm not sure why Empire is supposed to be any different from last year, Black-ish nor Fresh off the Boat hasn't changed at all...why is Empire expected to be change?

I think I'm the only person who isn't a Cookie fan. She could've been at the top, but time and time again she overplayed her hand. I just don't see the savvy business woman that other's see.

I understand that Jamal wants Lucious' attention, but he's being a brat by not being able to work with others.

I'm sure by mid-season break that Empire will be reunited. The Lyon's Dynasty has made too many premature moves, and I'm quite sure that Lucious will pull out the lawyers to win.

The gangsta Fantasia/Deja Loaf wasn't all of that too me. A bit too hot tempered...

Edited by Queena
  • Love 2

Seriously, Jamal, just what were you planning on doing to the female DJ as you were creeping up on her and you stopped when your daddy called you off. Because picking a fight with a woman is not the rep you wanna start. And from the looks of her arms, I think she could've taken you so it was good you heeded daddy.

BTW as big an ass kisser Andre was said to be (and still kinda is) Jamal is the  who is really Lucious' lap dog. He's not ruling, he's a puppet leader just delegating Lucious' edicts.

Props to Andre for not running back to Lyon Dynasty because he's got nowhere else to go and for trying to lightheartedly offer Hakeem advice/observations even when they were rejected.

Cookie being excited about Andre's baby news was so sweet for about 10 seconds before she flipped it to try to use it to influence Lucious. In some sense she was trying to give Andre some way to get what he wanted - back in at Empire- but it also seemed like a way for to stir up trouble or throw Lucious off. She also had to know that Lucious wouldn't be bouncing with joy no matter what he felt about Lola. He thought Lola might be his kid as well as his grandkid. Still, nice that Andre wanted to tell her in person (and told her first) and it was without any motive.

And about that Lucious/Andre scene; no Dwight Walker's heartbreaking childhood with his mom is no excuse for how he's treating Andre but I still like how the scene played out - a part of Lucious was happy for Andre but then he flashed back to mom again to draw on that anger so that he could quell that happiness and came striking back at Andre. The crux of that scene was Lucious probably thinking : 'You're doing that kid a disservice having it with you as a parent' because that's the question his kid selt was asking and still asks 'Why did you have me, momma, knowing you couldn't be normal and take care of me?' He's thinking only of the burden he feels the child will have in having a parent with mental illness (projecting his own childhood on the kid). Once again he's punishing his son for the sins of his grandmother.

And then yes, you hate him, but what does Lucious do? He internally runs away to the one thing that gives him peace and that is true: his music. When he turned away and ignored Andre it wasn't a show of arrogance (IMO) it was a little boy running away to hide and distract himself to find solace from his pain.

I feel like while S1 emotional arc was about Cookie/Hakeem and Lucious/Jamal, this season is exploring more of Lucious/Andre. Lucious is coming off like a grade A ass but my money is that if/when Andre/Rhonda get in a pinch over Vernon, it'll be Lucious who comes to the rescue in a surprise moment of fatherly love (still mixed with a healthy dose of 'Now, you're in my debt' to keep Andre in line).

Also if there is a 'Who Shot Lucious' cliffhanger in midseason, I'm betting on Cannibal Chris Rock's daughter. She'll initially get taken in by Lucious' spiel, but when she finds out he had her daddy killed? She's gonna pop him.

• Love 1

This show is at it's best when it has some criminal activity or something other than just the music industry story. The music itself is great but I'm worried it's just going to be Dynasty vs. Empire: "I signed this artist (investor, etc), No, I did!" back and forth. I actually like the stuff with Lucious's mom because at least it's a little more deep.

• Love 1