Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't have any new comments here, I don't think. I'm watching this but not digging it. I don't like that Carla has a view into what goes on during the bakes before judging. I don't think she can be impartial at judging when she's got a ringside seat to the bakers in the kitchen and all the challenges, failures, and such that they go through.

More twists? COME ON. Such a bad idea, especially when the twist results are crappy - what do they expect? It's stupid.

The garlic challenge could have been positioned as something to include at a buffet for other "monsters or ghosts" in order to ward off the vampires. But that would be too clever? 

The only thing I've been enjoying as someone else mentioned is that the contestents don't have to run towards a tray of ingredients like they are customers at WalMart on Black Friday. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Nothing new to bring to the buffet from me either, just that the last I heard, you don't feed vampires garlic!  They should have used the black garlic idea on another monster bash theme, like what about creating something to ward off the vampires?  When I think of desserts and sweet treats, I don't think of garlic, and I'm half Italian, so I do love me some garlic.

I really like Carla, but having her roving around during the baking as the host is unfair to everyone.  She should just host and make announcements, not get involved in the competition until judging duties kick in.

I would much rather see what the bakers can really do in a realistic timeline, not have to rush only to present half-baked ideas and sloppy presentations.

• Love 2
On 9/29/2020 at 2:39 PM, mlp said:

The first time Tamara was on, I was hoping she would win, partly because I couldn't stand Michelle who won and partly because I liked her final cake better.  I liked her then but she does seem to have a bad attitude this time around.  

Every time I looked at Brian, he reminded me of someone but it took me until halfway through last night's show to figure it out - Tim Love.  I've never liked Tim Love and I do like Brian so I'm glad he stayed.

Like everyone else (except the producers apparently), I hate the twists and adding another one with less than an hour to go just seems mean.

I have never liked the group hugs FN seems to have required contestants on many shows to do but I agree that the loser looks sort of pitiful just walking out with no interaction at all.

Brian looks very familiar to me too, like I’ve seen him on another baking competition. I googled him but his website only mentions this show.  

The guy whose dome got half stuck in the pan? When he was putting it in the oven, saying that he "sprayed the pan well with cooking spray," I immediately thought "that's not good enough! Use butter and flour you idiot!" And I was right. 

And I hated how much time the camera spent looking at dolls, or looking at contestants looking at, or talking about, dolls. BORING and STUPID.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

The guy whose dome got half stuck in the pan? When he was putting it in the oven, saying that he "sprayed the pan well with cooking spray," I immediately thought "that's not good enough! Use butter and flour you idiot!" And I was right. 

And I hated how much time the camera spent looking at dolls, or looking at contestants looking at, or talking about, dolls. BORING and STUPID.

And I hated the baby doll giggles every once in a while. So stupid. To further beat a long-standing gripe, if you’re going to throw in a ridiculous twist, give everyone the same flavor twist! My eyes practically roll out of my head every week when they throw in the twist. 

• Love 3

I think the creepy orange scary doll looked like what they were told to make.   Tamara was the right person to go home, and the other man didn't belong in the bottom two.   What kind of flavor do the judges think they can bring out of Butternut Squash turned into cake?   Their added flavors for the twist sound awful.    

• Love 4

I usually love the costumes that the judges wear but not this year. Last week none of them looked like vampires and this week only Zac looked like an animal.

There was a Ron Ben Israel sighting on the show that aired after this one! The Big Bake. Listing say it's from 2019 but I don't remember it. Maybe it's a Canadian show since all the teams seem to be from there?

• Love 1

Renee's Demon Doll has been driving me crazy.  It looks like a baby from an old cartoon, a Looney Tunes or something.  I have seen that face, that draped baby dress before.  I can't find it online but I know I've seen it.

Tamra's cake was definitely lacking, in form if not flavor.  I was excited to see her return in the beginning but she was far more serious than her first appearance, less bubbly.  I guess that's what 5 kids does to you! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I think even without quarantine, Carla is going to be on our screens a lot more.   She signed a contract for hosting, and other appearances including Worst Cooks, and Halloween. and Holiday Baking.   I think the reason we see Carla doing double duty, as host, and judge, and the third judge is always the same this season, because I bet everyone is quarantining together.  

• Love 1

None of the seasonal Championship Baking shows have rotating judges within a season.   Spring and Holiday always have the same 3 judges (Nancy, Duff and Lorraine).   Only the Halloween show has changed judges from year to year but they're always the same for the full season.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, trudysmom said:

Renee's Demon Doll has been driving me crazy.  It looks like a baby from an old cartoon, a Looney Tunes or something.  I have seen that face, that draped baby dress before.  I can't find it online but I know I've seen it.

I was getting creepy a Cabbage Patch Kid vibe, although I can definitely see a little Baby Face Finster.

BB2A806B-053C-46C5-943C-DBB9F3A0D5DC.jpeg

• LOL 4
On 10/6/2020 at 1:38 PM, Grizzly said:

I usually love the costumes that the judges wear but not this year. Last week none of them looked like vampires and this week only Zac looked like an animal.

There was a Ron Ben Israel sighting on the show that aired after this one! The Big Bake. Listing say it's from 2019 but I don't remember it. Maybe it's a Canadian show since all the teams seem to be from there?

I am so glad that somehow I saw on my TIVO that RBI was a judge on The Big Bake! I agree that it’s probably a Canadian show from last Halloween, but who cares! The show itself is pretty equal in talent to a lot of the Duff hosted shows, but having RBI as a judge was so very delightful. I’d love to see him on more FN shows as he used to be. 

• Love 4

I wish the Food Network would buy more cooking shows from other countries instead of trying to figure out how Guy can re-imagine his shows for Covid.  Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc - there are a ton of English speaking countries (for us dummies) with shows I would love to watch.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, bkathi said:

I wish the Food Network would buy more cooking shows from other countries instead of trying to figure out how Guy can re-imagine his shows for Covid.  Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc - there are a ton of English speaking countries (for us dummies) with shows I would love to watch.

The Cooking Channel used to show Masterchef Canada and Chopped Canada as well as the Great Canadian Baking Show.  Sadly, none of those shows are on anymore, and all were either as good or better than the US versions.

• Love 1

I forget who the contestant is because I'll be damned if I'm wasting any brain space on that, but the one who made the stitched together head? The entire time all I kept thinking it was a C3PO head! Even after he painted it a pink flesh color, I still thought it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I can’t believe Michelle’s busted ass marionette came in second.

I can’t think of her name, but the one who went last?  Hers looked so much better but I guess that Zac didn’t like all those flavors enough.

On 10/8/2020 at 4:37 PM, Eliza422 said:

I forget who the contestant is because I'll be damned if I'm wasting any brain space on that, but the one who made the stitched together head? The entire time all I kept thinking it was a C3PO head! Even after he painted it a pink flesh color, I still thought it.

That was Aaron (however he spells it), and he was in the bottom two with Tamara, and she was sent home.    I wonder how Aaron was supposed to make butternut squash have taste?    

In tonight's first bake, some of the 'devilish' ingredients' are added in a lot of cakes.    

Carla is really getting more relaxed in her role as host.  

Brian was the right choice to go home last night. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Zac looked so handsome tonight. Much better costumes for all the judges. And the desserts seemed of better quality. I loved the devil made of pie crust. And Aaron's macaron was just wow. Not impressed by Sinai's plated dessert, her beets were by themselves.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Zac looked so handsome tonight.

He did!  That's the best costume he's ever had and he played it very well.  I've always wondered if someone in the FN make up department hates him because he's been dressed in some awful stuff over the years.  I thought he was the highlight of the show tonight.

I hated seeing Brian go because I liked him but, the way things were unfolding, I wasn't surprised.  I like everyone who's left but I'm not invested in any of them.

• Love 7

The beginnings going through the "spooky" sets are stupid. I would be so embarrassed to be forced to act scared while walking through plastic skeletons. 

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 7

Seems like they got the same amount of time this week that they got last week to make a whole sculpted cake. 

Don’t people sometimes put sauerkraut in chocolate cake? I swear I’ve had that before. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Maya said:

Seems like they got the same amount of time this week that they got last week to make a whole sculpted cake. 

Don’t people sometimes put sauerkraut in chocolate cake? I swear I’ve had that before. 

Absolutely, sauerkraut, tomato soup and beets are all not super unusual ingredients to include in a (usually chocolate, IIRC) cake.  I have to assume their reactions were played up for the drama (maybe not a casual baker, but surely a pro has heard of these before??)

Anyway, I thought most of the dishes looked pretty good this week.  I have to admit I don't always pay very close attention when this show's on, but I thought there was supposed to be another gimmick where contestants could find something in each room for a small advantage?  I can only recall that on the first episode and then never again?

• Love 2

Has "duuuuuuuude" always been this show's version of the Hot Tamale Train, or is this something Carla decided to make happen this year? Because I don't remember hearing it in prior seasons, and I need it to stop.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, dmeets said:

Has "duuuuuuuude" always been this show's version of the Hot Tamale Train, or is this something Carla decided to make happen this year? Because I don't remember hearing it in prior seasons, and I need it to stop.

I think it’s this show’s version of the “Hollywood handshake.” 😂

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

Absolutely, sauerkraut, tomato soup and beets are all not super unusual ingredients to include in a (usually chocolate, IIRC) cake.  I have to assume their reactions were played up for the drama (maybe not a casual baker, but surely a pro has heard of these before??)

Anyway, I thought most of the dishes looked pretty good this week.  I have to admit I don't always pay very close attention when this show's on, but I thought there was supposed to be another gimmick where contestants could find something in each room for a small advantage?  I can only recall that on the first episode and then never again?

Shoot I am the definition of a casual Baker and I have made chocolate cake with sauerkraut also a spice cake with tomato soup. I have not baked anything with beets in it but I don't see why it would not work. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Maya said:

I think it’s this show’s version of the “Hollywood handshake.” 😂

I think Zack said it first and then Carla kinda stole it.  Very annoying.  I know they can't shake hands (although PH is doing it on GBBO Covid Edition) but maybe just a silent thumbs up?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dmeets said:

Has "duuuuuuuude" always been this show's version of the Hot Tamale Train,

I don't know what the Hot Tamale Train is but "Duuuuuude" is a Carla-ism.  I've seen her say that on several shows.  She seems to have added it to "hooty hoo' (not sure of spelling).  Personally, I wish "dude" in all its manifestations would just go away.

• Love 3

She's been doing it for at least a few seasons on this show.   It's more of a thing one supposedly aspires to get (a la the Hollywood Handshake) this season though.

Several red velvet cake recipes derive their red color from beets rather than food coloring,  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

Absolutely, sauerkraut, tomato soup and beets are all not super unusual ingredients to include in a (usually chocolate, IIRC) cake.

I had no idea was tamerind was, so I looked it up and Google told me that tamerind was used in desserts and even candy. So, while it may not be commonly used in the US (or Europe) it, too, was not that "out there".

I'm surprised that they didn't complain that the spinach flavor wasn't strong enough. Compared to the other ingredients (minus the tamerind because I have no idea what it tastes like), it doesn't have as dominant a flavor and I thought for sure that the judges would complain that you don't taste it enough.

Maybe it was just me but I found the macaroon designs rather boring and had trouble recognizing the little devils. And if the desserts had to be scary looking then they should have said so. They asked for devilish desserts and each baker did their own interpretation of that.

I loved the plated dessert and the pie with the pie devil face on it.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

I had no idea was tamerind was, so I looked it up and Google told me that tamerind was used in desserts and even candy. So, while it may not be commonly used in the US (or Europe) it, too, was not that "out there".

I have a pretty well-stocked pantry and have used tamerind.  It seemed to me the "friendliest" of the flavors for dessert. It's mostly just sour. (I use it to make pad thai). Spinach seemed the hardest to me to be "dessert," but her ideas to combine with nuts, fruit, and goat cheese made sense.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2020 at 6:52 AM, Spunkygal said:

To further beat a long-standing gripe, if you’re going to throw in a ridiculous twist, give everyone the same flavor twist!

I love that idea.  Then it would be an even playing field for judging.  

• Love 8
On 10/1/2020 at 1:30 PM, Omeletsmom said:

On 10/1/2020 at 8:57 AM, Koalagirl said:

Brian looks very familiar to me too, like I’ve seen him on another baking competition. I googled him but his website only mentions this show.  

He looks looks like the actor Alan Ruck to me.

Alan Ruck with

-a dash of Paul Lynde in his smarmy “Uncle Arthur” years  & a pinch of Waldo of Where’s Waldo (mostly because of the striped shirt)

• LOL 5

A little bummed at Michael leaving. I just liked him.

Renee's cake was beautiful.

And the finale is next week? For some reason I thought the finale had 3 bakers, not 4, but maybe its a short season. They're all nice, but I don't really have a clear favorite.

I still like Carla but I just don't think it works to have the host also judging. Hopefully its not a permanent change.

• Love 7
On 10/8/2020 at 5:00 AM, bkathi said:

You can find a lot of UK and AU cookery shows streaming online. I'm currently watching Great British Bake Off and Masterchef AU Junior --which is nothing like Gordon Ramsay's US version. The kids are amazing cooks and no costumes or drama. Masterchef UK: The Professionals will be coming up soon. That's my favorite! If anyone needs help finding them, feel free to PM me. 

See you all for Holiday Baking Championship. Hope they get it together for that one! 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

See you all for Holiday Baking Championship. Hope they get it together for that one!

I just went to make sure I had it set to record and Jesse Palmer is back for hosting! Mary probably won't be able to feed him this year.

I knew Michael was going home, I thought his cake looked sloppy and the judges said it was a bit too dense. If his werewolf head had looked better, I could have forgiven his slapped on Oreo sandwich cookie chain necklace.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, Popples said:

I just went to make sure I had it set to record and Jesse Palmer is back for hosting! Mary probably won't be able to feed him this year.

I knew Michael was going home, I thought his cake looked sloppy and the judges said it was a bit too dense. If his werewolf head had looked better, I could have forgiven his slapped on Oreo sandwich cookie chain necklace.

I think you meant Nancy won’t be able to fork feed him. That’s the only good thing about 2020 so far! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I think you meant Nancy won’t be able to fork feed him. That’s the only good thing about 2020 so far! 

NANCY! I don't know why I always think her name is "Mary".

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Popples said:

Not a great werewolf head and a sandwich cookie.... yes not a good combination. 

• Love 1

I wish they would have a certain number of weeks where no one is eliminated, but they earn points by where they finish for that week, then eliminate all but the last three or the number they want for the final show.  And get rid of the stupid twist, and surprises. 

• Love 5

Zac should not be allowed to judge the bakers ideas before they are done.  I am so mad at him for what he intimated to Renee.  Even if it did work out for her in spades.

Michael’s laugh after he said he was giving the werewolf dreads was adorable.  However, I knew when I saw his hot mess of a design compared to the others he was not going to make it.

I actually found all of the bakers really charming today and was super sad at the thought that anyone had to go.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Zac should not be allowed to judge the bakers ideas before they are done.  I am so mad at him for what he intimated to Renee.  Even if it did work out for her in spades.

Michael’s laugh after he said he was giving the werewolf dreads was adorable.  However, I knew when I saw his hot mess of a design compared to the others he was not going to make it.

I actually found all of the bakers really charming today and was super sad at the thought that anyone had to go.

I don’t even like it when Paul and Prue (or Praul and Poo per Matt) roam the tent on GBBO. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I was glad that he made that comment to Renee because he was dead on. When she said she was doing a unicorn cake, I thought, "That's been done a million times." I'm sure it would've looked good, but it would've had zero originality.

• Love 2

Unless the judges (they’re JUDGES, for goodness sakes) are providing super helpful guidance to each and every baker, they should not provide guidance to even one baker.  They can banter but they cannot guide IMO.  Irritating and really unfair.  

I liked Michael so much — sorry to see him go.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 8