Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I definitely think the wrong person went home.  The other girl's cake was dry and sandy while the girl who went's just had uneven ganache.  Also she didn't even put candy corn in her cupcakes as directed by the rules.

Anyway I love these shows so I did enjoy watching.  Albeit..Richard Blaise???  Richard Blaise????

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 1

I thought Richard Blaise was better as a host than he has been as a judge on other shows. He did ask a good question of the judges when they complained about the woman's broken ganache -- whether it was just a visual problem or a taste issue, as well. Hosts don't do that enough on cooking competitions.

• Love 1

Yeah, I love all these holiday baking shows (and Halloween is my favorite holiday), but now, with Blais? Not nearly as enjoyable. Almost ruined. It's interesting, though, that the hosts of these shows usually aren't chefs. Those are the judges. He's really just wanting his mug all over the place.  

• Love 1

I love these holiday baking competitions because the contestants are talented people with baking credentials, not ringers.  Richard Blaise isn't my favorite FN personality but I don't actively dislike him.  He just seems very needy.  I think he does fine as a host.  I adore Ron Ben-Israel and I love Carla Hall so I am delighted they're both judges.  I wasn't familiar with the third judge but I like her too so far.  I was vastly relieved that Nancy Fuller wasn't on the panel.

I recognized Jason immediately in the previews but I can't recall where I've seen him before.  Cutthroat Kitchen maybe?  Chopped?  He's clearly talented and Ron seemed impressed with him so he'll probably go far.  He was a bit arrogant but not really unpleasant about it - if that makes sense.  All the bakers seem pleasant so far.

• Love 3

Though somewhat cheesy, I like this type of show.   Richard is not my favorite by far, but I don't mind him - and I love Carla and Ron so I'm on board with this show.   Did not care for the "I'm just a little ol home baker" lady but the rest of them seem okay.

• Love 3

I'm watching, but I hate the cheesy aspects of the show, like when the judges came out in costume. Just let them cook & judge the results, don't do the other "entertainment"

• Love 1

Also she didn't even put candy corn in her cupcakes as directed by the rules.

I was confused by the instructions.  I thought the candies would be added to the cupcake batter or as filling, etc.  But candy corn lady isn't the only baker who didn't do that.  I thought for sure rock candy baker and her "mutant" spiders would be in trouble, but she was praised.  Did she add rock candy as anything but a decoration?  Maybe she did because the judges said she was clever.  But she didn't even add legs to the spiders, she just called them mutants.

And then there was the second round.  I didn't really get what kind of decoration they needed.  I mean, who eats a blueberry cheesecake with a fondant cowboy on top?  I think maybe princess guy didn't need to draw a literal princess, maybe he could have just used pink colors or do a crown. Pirate baker (Jason, and I think I recognize him from Cupcake Wars) didn't recreate his card the way others did and that was okay.

I just don't think the requirements were clear in each round.

• Love 2

Jason and Cupcake Wars.  That sounds right.  I knew I'd seen him somewhere before. 

i agree that the instructions weren't clear, at least to the TV audience.  The bakers probably got more detailed information.

I noticed one thing I found a bit odd.  The woman who eventually got sent home was wearing fancy rings with multiple small stones on both hands.  There was footage of her working her dough with both hands and I was thinking that wasn't very sanitary and would result in those rings getting clogged up with food unlike, say, a plain wedding band.  Shortly after that, there was another shot of her working and she had no rings on.  Maybe the second shot wasn't really her but it made me wonder about the timing and filming.

I like these set of judges.  I did like the British judge and kind of wish she was on this one.  Did care for Duff at all and the other judge.  I immediately thought Richard was going to bug me because I just don't like him on the other shows he's on (and his Top Chef stuff) but I thought he was good.  I like that he asked the judges on things that people would want to know when an baked item has a problem.

Carla? is she qualified for a baking contest?

Not only does she do most of the baking demos on The View but she also has her own retail cookie brand so in my opinion, yes.

These contestants must know what theyll be doing before the show. In the Halloween costume part, one contestant got the robot card. She said she was taking the love her kids have of robots and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to do her cake, and she just happens to have pictures if her kids in a robot costume and eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

• Love 3

These contestants must know what theyll be doing before the show. In the Halloween costume part, one contestant got the robot card. She said she was taking the love her kids have of robots and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to do her cake, and she just happens to have pictures if her kids in a robot costume and eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I know how convenient right. I really do get tired of the contestants of these competition shows with their it's a tradition, or I am baking because of this relative, cue photo with sacharrine (sp) story. I want one of them to say something like I like to eat this flavor dessert when I am three sheets in the wind or something totally out there!

• Love 2

I'm watching, but I hate the cheesy aspects of the show, like when the judges came out in costume. Just let them cook & judge the results, don't do the other "entertainment"

I agree with you on this but I actually burst out laughing at the end of the show when Ben-Israel (clad in his pirate outfit) said he wanted/was ready to go out on the town wearing his costume.  Hee. It just gave me a giggle for some reason because he seemed so sincere!  Cracked me up. 

I watch these shows because my pre-teen daughter loves these kitschy-themed cooking shows and it is something we can do together that doesn't include texting, a cell phone, a tablet, etc.  These themed cooking shows are fun and light-hearted and I don't have to think.  I can unwind after a long, stressful day at work.

I don't mind Richard Blaise too much (I don't think he's the best host/emcee on TV) but I do have a soft spot for him because I used to be an avid "Top Chef" viewer.

Edited by beesknees

I came here to find out where I'd seen Jason before.  I love Ron Ben-Israel so I'm watching this but I already hate half the contestants.  Surprisingly, I don't hate Jason.  I agree that he is arrogant, but in a non-annoying way. I also don't hate the woman who won, and waitron/home baker guy. The other three can go any time (although I suspect they may stay longer because they're the professionals as opposed to the home cooks.

One thing I really appreciate about these holiday-themed shows is, they have a limited number of episodes.  They don't start out with a (seemingly) million contestants whose names I can't remember and they don't go on for weeks and weeks (I'm looking at you, Gordon Ramsay).  That being said, I love me some Ron Ben Israel and could happily watch him in twice the number of episodes this show will have. 

I'm rooting for the purple haired girl.  She has a couple of autistic kids so she tugged at my heart.  Plus her stuff looks good!

I thought for sure the spanish guy was going tonight and the body builder was going to survive again.  After all he had the nerve to put a store bought cookie in his concoction (gasp!!!)  Color me surprised that she did end up going.

The judges and Richard are growing on me.  They do seem to be having fun and aren't stuffed shirts like Duff and company.

• Love 1

I like Jason, I think he's justifiably confident. 

I think the judges criticism of the guy who cooks for the sports team, the one who did the devil cake was spot on. He practiced a bunch of recipes and is going to shoehorn them each into whatever challenge they have. 

I also think the right person went home today but I knew the judges would criticize the guy who used the pre-made cookie in his piece as soon as he picked it up. There are plenty of other ways to make dude.

I knew that Erin was destined to go after she wasted judge Sherry's time. I didn't think her mash-up in the first round was all that impressive.

I like Audrey and have a feeling she might be in the final shoot-out with Jason. It seems like these shows always try to get one of the home cooks into the finale.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 1

I read a lot of negative (OK, downright hateful) comments on numerous threads about the host. I didn't see his egregious behavior on "Top Chef" ??? so I guess I don't know the entire story. Anyway, I don't think he's that bad on this show. He's much better than Bobby Dean and head and shoulders above the host of "Halloween Wars." /shrug.

• Love 4

I forgot the episode, was it in a talking head or a cutaway to just the photo? If so they add that stuff in after the taping of the main parts.

I'm not finding this version of the show to be as interesting as the other. Maybe because everything they make has to be scary.

Which version? We've had Holday (OG), Spring (hey let's see if we can keep this cheap filler going), Kids (THE AUDIENCE HASNT SEEN THESE CONTESTANTS ALL OVER THE PLACE), and now Halloween (YEAR ROUND BAKING CHAMPIONSHIPS FOR EVERYONE!).

Which version? We've had Holday (OG), Spring (hey let's see if we can keep this cheap filler going), Kids (THE AUDIENCE HASNT SEEN THESE CONTESTANTS ALL OVER THE PLACE), and now Halloween (YEAR ROUND BAKING CHAMPIONSHIPS FOR EVERYONE!).

FN is gonna make damn sure they get their money worth out of that set. Before long there will be a National Cheese Month Baking Championship.

I wish we could take the judges from the Halloween show and put them with the host from the Holiday show. Duff is annoying and Nancy is damn near intolerable. And I'm not really a Bobby Seen fan but he's a mile better than Blais.

• Love 3
I was not sorry to see Audrey leave.  She was getting on my nerves.

Me too - she was very fake. The plastered on smile and cheerful act was definitely obnoxious. I wanted to like her but I just couldn't.

• Love 1

Me too - she was very fake. The plastered on smile and cheerful act was definitely obnoxious. I wanted to like her but I just couldn't.

It was painfully obvious how fake she is during the ice cream maker incident. In her talking head she's all "my pecans are clogging the ICE cream machine" in this stupid voice like she's talking to a 3 year old. But in the scene itself her reaction has to be bleeped and blurred.

• Love 2

I didn't find this show interesting enough to care who won.

Me either.  I find the displays on Halloween Wars far more interesting that these Baking Championship shows.  Thankfully they're finally doing a Christmas Wars in addition to the baking show lead by the pastry wing of the FN Axis of Evil (Duff and Nancy).

• Love 2

This show seemed to have potential. I thought that the judging panel was lots better than "the pastry wing of the FN Axis of Evil" (love that description, btw!) but it seems the judges were more interested in their costumes than in the baked goods.  Rudy was my least favorite of the three remaining contestants, so of course he won. 

I liked this show a lot and I agreed with the judges all the way through.  Ashlee's mummy thing was a mess so she deserved to be cut from the finals first - and she knew it.  I liked Scott but his house was the weakest of the last three.  I would have been happy with either Jason or Rudy winning.  Jason did a bit better all along I thought but Rudy did some great art work.  I did think his house was a bit much and liked Jason's better but I wasn't there and couldn't taste the cakes.  I assume that there is a lot more to the judging that we don't see.

I like all the judges and enjoyed the costumes.  Ron Ben-Israel was a professional dancer before he got into cake and Carla was a model so they both knew how to carry off their costumes with flair.  They must have spent hours in make up and wardrobe while the bakers were working.  I can't think of the third judge's name but I wish they'd use her on the other holiday shows instead of Nancy Fuller whom I can't stand.

• Love 2