Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Donna is a perfectly normal name. It's not like they named her Apple or North or Petunia, or Booger butt.  I don't really see the problem.  

You are referring to Hollywood celebrities naming their children. The two Donnas I have met in my life are white and blonde, and approx. 60 years old or older.  Donna is not a normal name for a bi-racial daughter of a Mob kingpen in upstate New York in 2019. Her life as a Latina girl born with a medical condition will be difficult enough in this country at this time in our history as it is; Carly and Sonny have made it potentially more difficult with giving her this name. 

I understand that the MB and maybe other cast members want to honor the memory of the makeup artist who passed away, but this isn't the way to do it. In addition to the name itself being a concern, the "Donna" he spoke of today means nothing to any current Show character except Sonny, maybe his father Mike and maybe Olivia.  The baby's mother, Carly, didn't know "Donna from the old neighborhood." Clearly "Donna" was not a close family friend as Sonny has aged because Michael, Kristina and Joss never met the woman. Whereas the other kids on this show being named after someone had meaning because the adults being "honored" that way were either current characters or deceased but remembered with love (e.g. Alexis thinking of her sister who had died in recent history). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

I am seeing a lot of negativity about the name and like @Linny said, "poor execution."

It would be just like trash GH to make a tribute to a person who worked there for many years fall flat.  Some thought Donna really did mean "mafia don"

At least it isn't Scout aka Sprout who is a meaningless child because her 55 year old looking uncle didn't spawn her. 

Edited by Hater
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

I figured Donna had to be somebody because it is so raandom.... so, so, so incredibly random.  And I guess it is a nice gesture but again... so random... and such an old fashioned name.  And... no middle name?  IT jut feels unfinished and it doesn't really flow with Corinthos.   But hey, it isn't my kid.   And it only a little bit feels like they named her after Dawn of Day... DonnaDay...    

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, LexieLily said:

If the show itself wanted to pay tribute to their makeup artist, it would have been just as easy to use Donna as a middle name. 

They should have used it as a middle name and then told the lovely tribute for the real-life Donna that passed away. 

This is like Molly all over again. It took me over ten years to come to accept that name.

• Love 6
Just now, nilyank said:

They should have used it as a middle name and then told the lovely tribute for the real-life Donna that passed away. 

This is like Molly all over again. It took me over ten years to come to accept that name.

What happened re: Molly's name?

I think it’s nice to honor the real-life Donna, I have nothing against the name in any way.

What I do have a problem with is it having to relate to SONNY. “She didn’t like bullies.” Boy, check the mirror. And “she didn’t judge, she kept your secrets.” Again. Sonny is a criminal. This isn’t a good thing.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I think it’s nice to honor the real-life Donna, I have nothing against the name in any way.

What I do have a problem with is it having to relate to SONNY. “She didn’t like bullies.” Boy, check the mirror. And “she didn’t judge, she kept your secrets.” Again. Sonny is a criminal. This isn’t a good thing.

That's why it came across as Maurice playing himself more than anything in that scene because for one he didn't stutter and like you said the dialogue made no damn sense. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Sonny and Carly are about 50 and 45 respectively. They aren't going to be naming their kid the latest in names, necessarily.

I know a Donna in her late 40s. I think of it as a 70s name, not a grandma name.

I guess it depends on where you're from. Some of the names people are citing as modern or current or whatever make me raise my eyebrow.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5

I just think people overall were confused.  Probably confused as to why grandparents are getting knocked up on this show when they already have a billion kids. Then confused when the pregnancy was useless no dramatic event in the slightest way, made worse with Maurice playing it as if he'd rather be anywhere else.  Then suddenly the kid is born looking 4 months old already with no signs of spina bifada and Maurice decides to show up in his scenes by playing himself, reminiscing about "Donna."

I get the confusion.  This show fails no matter what it's doing.  

At least the baby was cute.

Edited by Hater
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, RedRockRosie said:

the name thing seems like nothing compared to the SB story that went no where...not that I'm complaining. Was NOT looking forward to it honestly. I'm glad it was repairable. I hate sick/injured baby stories. Real life is bad enough....I watch soaps to not have to deal with that honestly.

I wonder if this was the original plan or because of the HW change. I remember hearing that the “groundbreaking” storylines were coming from Shelly Altman, which means that Mike’s Alzheimers and Oscar probably came from her. If it’s the case, I’m glad because those storylines dragged and I didn’t find them engaging. I don’t want to listen to Sonny and Carly wringing their hands over their sick kid for months. I’m just glad they finally stopped mentioning Morgan every week. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Love 4

Diane is right about what the nurse reported being hearsay. And unless Jordan got some hidden camera feed that showed that Sam saying "I am going to kill you" and aiming to kill Shiloh, there is no additional evidence for a charge of murder.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Hater said:

I just think people overall were confused.  Probably confused as to why grandparents are getting knocked up on this show when they already have a billion kids.

This one for sure. Yeah, I can see the the confusions over Donna when you place it on top of the "what the heck just happened" cake. It does feel like some bizarre fanfic.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

Diane is right about what the nurse reported being hearsay. And unless Jordan got some hidden camera feed that showed that Sam saying "I am going to kill you" and aiming to kill Shiloh, there is no additional evidence for a charge of murder.

This just tells me they truly have no clue what to do with Sam (not that we can't tell already) and need to make up a murder charge to pretend to give her a storyline.  

1 hour ago, ulkis said:

This one for sure. Yeah, I can see the the confusions over Donna when you place it on top of the "what the heck just happened" cake. It does feel like some bizarre fanfic.

The birth wasn't even dramatic.  The kid looked healthy.  I mean I know they can't use a newborn, might as well get a doll then.  I'm sure the Scout doll is still lying around from 2 years ago.

Edited by Hater
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Don't forget Leo. 

Aw, I love the name Leo. It's half of one of my favorite soap couples of all time and Rebecca Budig's best pairing hands down.

I'm back to the non-watching until I get something interesting, so thanks to all of you who keep me updated. My thoughts on Donna are that I can only think "Donna Martin graduates!"

Are we counting Dev among Sonny's collection of kids?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

My thoughts on Donna are that I can only think "Donna Martin graduates!"

Hee! This is all I thought of! Can they just rapidly age Donna already so she can graduate? I just want to be amused. I will take a preschool graduation at this point.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

Aw, I love the name Leo. It's half of one of my favorite soap couples of all time and Rebecca Budig's best pairing hands down.

I'm back to the non-watching until I get something interesting, so thanks to all of you who keep me updated. My thoughts on Donna are that I can only think "Donna Martin graduates!"

Are we counting Dev among Sonny's collection of kids?

I think Dev should be included.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, RedRockRosie said:

I mean Scout (now there's a name to poke fun at!)

To be fair, the little girl's name full name is Emily Scout Cain. Scout was the name Danny wanted for her, so I believe they use her middle name to make him happy and also to show the world "we're such non-traditional people." (Gag.) Also Alexis and Sam mentioned one day making Scout aware of the child character Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird.  I dislike "Lulu" more.  Luke and Laura named their daughter Lesley Lu in honor of grandma Lesley, and the Lu was an acknowledgement of L&L's past. "Lulu" was fine for when she was a little girl, but to me it sounds stupid for an adult. I can't imagine wanting "Lulu" in your byline, ugh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

And also color me slightly shocked that it's a girl because stupid me naively thought that since Hayden had a girl, the next baby had to be a boy.

Scout too. But neither Hayden's baby nor Scout are seen.  Donna will probably be wheeled out more than the other 2.

Edit:  I cannot stand Diane Miller and the actress who plays her.  

Edited by Hater
58 minutes ago, Hater said:

The birth wasn't even dramatic.  The kid looked healthy. 

Yeah, why did they need to hire so many extras?  The second doctor was unnecessary, as were a lot of the medical staff (for a fake birth).  Dr. Navarro can deliver it, then whisk it away to another unseen doctor -- one that doesn't need lines.

Speaking of extra "extras", those prison extras fake-clipping bushes in the background were all kinds of hilarious.  They were practically miming. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Hater said:

Scout too. But neither Hayden's baby nor Scout are seen.  Donna will probably be wheeled out more than the other 2.

Weren't James and Wiley born in between Scout and Baby Girl Finn? (that's what I'm calling her until we know her name).

Bottom line: This show has had WAY too many babies in the past several years. No wonder they had to start aging them all so quickly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Silly me, I thought that calling the baby Donna was a tribute to Suits?, which just broadcast their final episode.

What is it with all the extras today? Most of the time they can't even come up with enough people for weddings.

If you count Dev, that brings Sonny's kid count to 10. And then he's uncle to Spencer, Molly and Wiley. It's ridiculous.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I was hoping Sonny and Carly's daughter's name would be Bobbie. Carly should have at least one child with a connection to her side of the family. What sort of annoyed me is how big Donna is for a baby that was suppose to be a premie. I know they couldn't use a newborn baby, but could they have possibly used a baby that was a little smaller?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

You are referring to Hollywood celebrities naming their children. The two Donnas I have met in my life are white and blonde, and approx. 60 years old or older.  Donna is not a normal name for a bi-racial daughter of a Mob kingpen in upstate New York in 2019. Her life as a Latina girl born with a medical condition will be difficult enough in this country at this time in our history as it is; Carly and Sonny have made it potentially more difficult with giving her this name. 

I understand that the MB and maybe other cast members want to honor the memory of the makeup artist who passed away, but this isn't the way to do it. In addition to the name itself being a concern, the "Donna" he spoke of today means nothing to any current Show character except Sonny, maybe his father Mike and maybe Olivia.  The baby's mother, Carly, didn't know "Donna from the old neighborhood." Clearly "Donna" was not a close family friend as Sonny has aged because Michael, Kristina and Joss never met the woman. Whereas the other kids on this show being named after someone had meaning because the adults being "honored" that way were either current characters or deceased but remembered with love (e.g. Alexis thinking of her sister who had died in recent history). 

Donna is not biracial. Sonny is Cuban, and Hispanic is not a race.  I don't see how Donna is any less normal than Michael or Morgan.  Furthermore, none of Sonny's kids have a strong connection to Sonny's Latin hertiage--perhaps because Sonny's mother was Latin, and Adela had died before he even had kids.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ulkis said:

Sonny and Carly are about 50 and 45 respectively. They aren't going to be naming their kid the latest in names, necessarily.

I know a Donna in her late 40s. I think of it as a 70s name, not a grandma name.

I guess it depends on where you're from. Some of the names people are citing as modern or current or whatever make me raise my eyebrow.

I will always associate the name Donna with Tori Spelling's character on "Beverly Hills, 90210," Donna Martin.

2 hours ago, ulkis said:

I will always associate the name Donna with Tori Spelling's character on "Beverly Hills, 90210," Donna Martin.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Again, still catching up. Jordan asking why Jason didn't shoot to wound and instead shoot Shiloh in the leg rather than torso is obnoxious. Uh, because you aren't taught to shoot an appendage in firearm classes. You are taught to aim for the body. Reminds me of those people who seem to think westerns are realistic and cops should shoot the firearm out of a gunman's hand in real life.

I agree. If my life was in danger or someone I loved life was in danger, I'm going to shoot to kill--not wound.

2 hours ago, Hater said:

I just think people overall were confused.  Probably confused as to why grandparents are getting knocked up on this show when they already have a billion kids. Then confused when the pregnancy was useless no dramatic event in the slightest way, made worse with Maurice playing it as if he'd rather be anywhere else.  Then suddenly the kid is born looking 4 months old already with no signs of spina bifada and Maurice decides to show up in his scenes by playing himself, reminiscing about "Donna."

I get the confusion.  This show fails no matter what it's doing.  

At least the baby was cute.

LoL. You are on a roll tonight. 

10 hours ago, Hater said:

She's named after GH's long time make up artist who died last year. Donna Messina.

But yes I get you. It's all in tribute but it is a dated name.

But using that logic, practically all names would be dated by the time a child reached adulthood, since names go thru waves of popularity. I like the name Donna, and I don't think it's THAT dated. It's not like Carly and Sonny named their daughter Ethel or Martha (no offense to anyone who has those names). LoL. I wanted the little girl's name to be Bobbie for the simple fact that Carly has no child who has a connection to her family. Michael was named after Sonny,  Morgan was named after Jason, and Josslyn has a "J" name because because Jax, his parents, and Jerry did.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, nilyank said:

I mean it just didn't seem like a name for a Cassadine/Lansing child.

I don't care for the name Molly (again, no offense to anyone who has that name), but I think it goes well with Lansing. What was Alexis' mother's name? Anyone remember? I'm always surprised Alexis didn't name one of her children after her mother who was murdered by Helena. She named Kristina after her sister, even though Kristina No. 1 was only on the show for a short time.

8 minutes ago, DivaLasVegas82 said:

I don't care for the name Molly (again, no offense to anyone who has that name), but I think it goes well with Lansing. What was Alexis' mother's name? Anyone remember? I'm always surprised Alexis didn't name one of her children after her mother who was murdered by Helena. She named Kristina after her sister, even though Kristina No. 1 was only on the show for a short time.

Her mother’s name was Kristen so I assume Kristina sr was already named after her. I didn’t love Molly when they first named her either but I think it’s because they were considering Abigail first and I thought it worked better. But I don’t know what else would have been a better option. I did like that she wasn’t named after someone else since they were doing that way too much at the time and I couldn’t see Alexis giving her kid a Greek or Russian name when she never even used her real name. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DivaLasVegas82 said:

. What sort of annoyed me is how big Donna is for a baby that was suppose to be a premie.

Wait, was she supposed to be a preemie?  Carly's c-section was scheduled for 10 days later.  So by that logic Carly's about 37 weeks... which would be considered full term.   And with the on screen date of conception of New Years, Carly would be at 41 weeks and slightly overdue.

That kid was ridiculously large and healthy given all the had wringing over the spina bifida for months but I don't think she's supposed to be a preemie. 

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

onna is not a normal name for a bi-racial daughter of a Mob kingpen in upstate New York in 2019. Her life as a Latina girl born with a medical condition will be difficult enough in this country at this time in our history as it is; Carly and Sonny have made it potentially more difficult with giving her this name. 

Donna is an Italian name, though, so I don't know why her life will be made more difficult for carrying it.  And like I said earlier, over 2,000 other Americans named their child Donna this year.  It's not Myrtle for crying out loud.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, DivaLasVegas82 said:

Donna is not biracial. Sonny is Cuban, and Hispanic is not a race.  I don't see how Donna is any less normal than Michael or Morgan.  Furthermore, none of Sonny's kids have a strong connection to Sonny's Latin hertiage--perhaps because Sonny's mother was Latin, and Adela had died before he even had kids.

I thought for sure they were going to name her after Sonny's mother. 

Full disclosure, I don't even like the name Avery either, so that's two strikes with these names. Scout bugs me because Danny wanted to name his non dog "Scout."

43 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Previews...hey, it's Terry, but only to Langston it up in "Biz's" defense.  Also, Kim, you sound f-ing insane.

Sound? Please, strap the jacket on, toss her in a padded room and throw away the key.

Also, is it me or does it seem like they might be starting some Shadybrook story? Nelle is there, Willow's mother who was crying about Shiloh, Franco might apparently be headed there, and now Sam is arrested for murder and could end up sharing the same van as Franco. And there's batshit Ryan there as well.

• Love 1

a baby that was suppose to be a premie.

She's not a premie.  Carly's due date was Oct 7th, so she's only a week early.  

I had to laugh at the size of the baby though.  I know they can't use a newborn, but that baby looked like she was 6 months old.  At one point she turned her head towards Mo when he was talking.  Also, if you're going to say that she'll be born with her spine on the outside, don't hold her where you can clearly see that her spine isn't on the outside.  

• Love 2

Meh. I'm giving a pass to MB's solioquoy to Donna Messina and to Show naming the kid in her honor. I'm okay with it.

Um, if the kid had spina bifida, should they have been handling the kid around like that in the delivery room, rather than put her in a NICU bed?

Moment we saw the cannister being pulled out at Casa Nutmeg, we both exclaimed, "Monavie!!"

Um, Joss, you could have said right off that Nelle was making you uncomfortable, but then Show would have lasted 20 minutes today.

Jordan (and Robert), Shiloh is dead. Let it go. How about investigating that missing foreman....?

• Love 2

But using that logic, practically all names would be dated by the time a child reached adulthood, since names go thru waves of popularity. I like the name Donna, and I don't think it's THAT dated. It's not like Carly and Sonny named their daughter Ethel or Martha (no offense to anyone who has those names). LoL. I wanted the little girl's name to be Bobbie for the simple fact that Carly has no child who has a connection to her family. Michael was named after Sonny,  Morgan was named after Jason, and Josslyn has a "J" name because because Jax, his parents, and Jerry did.

I think some names can stick for several decades and not be considered "dated." Boys names in particular.  Donna is very 70s to me.  I say this as someone who has 3 Donnas in her family, two named after a deceased one (exactly like the story here) and both are teenagers today.  

I don't dislike the name at all, it has sentimental value for me personally but I still think it sounds dated.

Edited by Hater
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I legit LOL'd at Sam's "I can't leave the hospital, Carly's having her baby" to Jordan as if she's Carly's OB-GYN. 

Same here. No one at the PCPD cares about Carly, Sam!

11 hours ago, Katy M said:

The top 4 names were Olivia, Emma, Amy, and Sophia. 

Whoa, I've become hip! For a long, long time I was the only Amy for miles around.

9 hours ago, nilyank said:

Jason will find a way to get that charge dropped, I'm sure. He hasn't saved Sam for about 10 minutes, so it's time.

9 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I can't imagine wanting "Lulu" in your byline, ugh.

*Medical professional Kiki Jerome waves from the afterlife*

16 minutes ago, NutmegsDad said:

Moment we saw the cannister being pulled out at Casa Nutmeg, we both exclaimed, "Monavie!!"

Same here. I thought, I hope it's not SBu's newest scam.

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Her mother’s name was Kristen so I assume Kristina sr was already named after her.

Kristina is named after Alexis's sister Kristina, who was killed with something to do with Sonny. 

• Love 1

What happened re: Molly's name?

Awwww. I liked Molly (even though I don't think its the best fit for Lansing). She was born during the train crash, so they decided to name her after the Unsinkable Molly Brown. It's a little cheezy-- but it fit with the extraordinary circumstances of her birth.

I know a woman who was born in the summer of 1969-- and got saddled with "apollo' as a middle name. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, DivaLasVegas82 said:

For me it's Donna Moss from The West Wing. Though her full name was Donatella.

Sam being charged with murder is a real stretch.  So what if she was talking about the crappy stuff Shiloh did?  So manufactured.  *Gasp* Have they possibly run out of story for Sam? And Jason? /s

Really good to see MEK. Still a fan. 

7 hours ago, DivaLasVegas82 said:

I wanted the little girl's name to be Bobbie for the simple fact that Carly has no child who has a connection to her family. 

The problem with that is that Bobbie's real name is Barbara Jean, and the daughter Bobbie and Tony lost (recall the "Not Barbara Jean's heart!" storyline where Maxie got her cousin's heart) was named after Bobbie. BJ was the little girl's nickname. That tragic death is still a painful memory for Bobbie, Felicia, Maxie, etc., plus Carly didn't know BJ - she came and played an important part in the destruction of the Jones family when they were dealing with the aftermath of BJ's death.  

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, amaranta said:

For me it's Donna Moss from The West Wing. Though her full name was Donatella.

The feminine version of St. Donatello, something appropriate for the Catholic that Sonny claims to be. I thought that's what they should have gone for. They could have used Donna for everyday but it makes it a bit more special and hence understandable. In-show  people would still know who she was named after.

1 hour ago, NutmegsDad said:

I would have also accepted Morgan too, as in Morgan Le Fay.

That works too. Except it would be confusing when Morgan comes back.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, ulkis said:

You know what name is crazy to me? Georgie, especially for a girl. Does anyone know any Georgies?

That happened because Felicia let her young daughter name the baby sister, and didn't suggest well we could remember him by calling her Georgia or Georgette instead..

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Whoa, I've become hip! For a long, long time I was the only Amy for miles around.

I actually messed that up. It's Ava.  They totally should have named the baby Ava. JK.

• LOL 1