Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Discussion

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

Yeah yeah, Dre and Bow take Zoe to Brown, yada yada yada... The Charles story was fantastic! I need to watch again. Everything was hilarious. Deon Cole is so so funny. I said this long ago, but I remember being kind of unimpressed with him on Conan's show. He is a revelation here. So so good. He and Junior was great together.

Who played Dominique? She looked familiar.

That was Amber Rose.

What a great episode. There were way too many great lines to quote them all, but I love the vibe between Charles and Diane. Are there any other couples with a Diane? We have Jack and Diane and Charles and Diane.

When I first saw Charles in the episode in which he wears Dre's sneakers, I found him to be annoying. I've changed my mind about him, and he's now up there with Bow, Pops, and Diane as one of my favorites on the show.

I have not seen a Nancy Meyers film. Are they all like that?

I'm not as bad as Dre, but I have to be heavily medicated to fly, too. I was fine with flying until I had a really bad flight to Houston in which I thought we were all going to die. I'd never experienced turbulence like that, and I've been a nervous flyer ever since. So, while I realize he was over the top, I could really relate to him.

I had a coworker who managed to work in his alma mater, Notre Dame, into every conversation, so that part spoke to me too.

I just love this show!

• Love 2

Charlie, Junior, Jack & Diane as a group were on fire but tonight's Johnson MVP, in my book, was Jack.

Now that Miles Brown's delivery has vastly improved; to the point where he doesn't have to solely rely on his cuteness, he's been subtly stealing every scene he's in, which is not an easy feat as part of such a talented cast.

I loved that for once Andre unequivocally supported Rainbow. He admittedly wanted nothing more than for Zoe to attend his alma mater but he selflessly talked up Bow & Brown to her even though it would mean Zoe, his favorite child, would have to move halfway across the country. That's love.

Deon Cole continues to be awesome as Charlie, but abandoning Eustace alone in the dark, TWICE, was terrible. Funny, but terrible.

Still missing Dre's intern Curtis. Hope they bring him back at some point.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3

Deon Cole continues to be awesome as Charlie, but abandoning Eustace alone in the dark, TWICE, was terrible. Funny, but terrible.

And then he told Dominique that he didn't have kids of his own and the Johnson kids had to remind him that he actually has one.
  • Love 7

"My phone game is Dolemite but my in person game is Sinbad."

Making Charlie be the A-plot and having him drive so much story could really have gone the other way.  But dammit that storyline was excellent and most of it had to do with Charlie.  With Junior and Diane doing superb jobs of being his enabler and his detractor.

"This just in: God don't like your tone."

Ha!  the unexplained Charlie/Diane animosity stays unexplained and both of them play it so well, but don't over-play it.  I like how Charlies looks at Diane as if she is gonna turn rabid at any moment.  And Diane's long stare of death was a thing of beauty.  Marsai Martin has the comedic timing of a veteran comedienne.  Such a smart little actress.

Junior's love of all things middle-aged white women is so baffling yet such an funny character beat and it played to perfection in this ep with Charlie co-signing.  Their complete understanding and reverence of Diane Keaton rom-cons killed but what took it over the top were the musical interludes, the D'Angelo song and the Unbreak my Heart. 

Amber Rose was ok.  She he had wooden line readings but she wasn't egregious.  And she a frickin' gorgeous woman.

TER actually is an Brown alum and the song she was singing was a real, but damn she was embarrassing.  Poor Zoey.

• Love 6

"I had a coworker who managed to work in his alma mater, Notre Dame, into every conversation, so that part spoke to me too."

You worked with Regis Philbin?

This show is fantastic, so clever and witty. I wonder if the humour is too highbrow for the sort of people who watched Two and a Half Men.

And is that a thing to fly cross country to check out a college before applying? Every show seems to do it, but it don't know anyone who did that in real life, even though most kids I know go to uni or college. They check it out online, apply, and if they're accepted and choose it, they discover the campus when they get there. Who has the time and money to jet around the country just to look at potential schools?

• Love 1

I like the little meta touches Black-ish is incorporating this season, like Bow & Dre being alums of Tracee & Anthony real life colleges and Cousin Dante being played by Anthony's real life son in the Halloween episode. It's cute without going overboard.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

I like the little meta touches Black-ish is incorporating this season, like Bow & Dre being alums of Tracee & Anthony real life colleges and Cousin Dante being played by Anthony's real life son in the Halloween episode. It's cute without going overboard.

I would love to see Michael Chiklis show up in an episode.  

• Love 2
Are there any other couples with a Diane?

We olds remember Sam and Diane.

"God don't like your tone" had me rolling.   I was a little sorry that that pretty Neck by Turtle (!!!!) sweater got cut up, I gotta say. Also: I'm obsessed with Amber Rose's lip-color game. She is phenomenal.

And poor little Eustus!

• Love 6
I loved that for once Andre unequivocally supported Rainbow. He admittedly wanted nothing more than for Zoe to attend his alma mater but he selflessly talked up Bow & Brown to her even though it would mean Zoe, his favorite child, would have to move halfway across the country. That's love.

He actually wanted her to attend an in-state school so he didn't have to fly. Howard, his alma mater, is also on the other side of the country in DC. 

I wish they had done an end tag with another phone call to Charlotte so we got some sort of secondary closure there. Or what happened when Bow got home and discovered Charles had been the one there and not Charlotte. 

• Love 4

These are really my favorite kid actors on TV, especially Girl Twin. All the Nancy Meyers references were hysterical, and I loved the fact that Charlie was just as into them as Junior. And "Neck, by Turtle" was such a simple, great line.

Excellent episode.

• Love 4

"I'm wearing, 'Neck,' by Turtle." 

"Farmhouse sinks... If you caint wash your pig in it, dont' even show it to me."

"You speak French?"
"poquito"

"caliente."
"gesundheit."

"Omg my kid is home alone. I should Uber him some wings."

"This is Cinnabun baby all over again."

• Love 14

He actually wanted her to attend an in-state school so he didn't have to fly. Howard, his alma mater, is also on the other side of the country in DC.

Being from DC, I'm very familiar with Howard. lol

While Andre admits that wanting Zoe to attend school in-state was partially so he could avoid flying, he also said it was partially because he wanted her to remain close. That said, he seemed as if he would've been awfully happy if Zoe had chosen to attend Howard, before Bow had her Brown spazzout.

• Love 2

That was Amber Rose.

Thanks. I checked out her Wikipedia page. I am completely unfamiliar with her work. Don't know where I saw her before.

And thanks for those quotes, ari333. I love all the jokes and writing on this show.

• Love 2

Thanks. I checked out her Wikipedia page. I am completely unfamiliar with her work. Don't know where I saw her.

You're welcome. I only know her from being mentioned in pop culture. I think she has been in some music videos. She's from Philly, and she gives me a sort of a Eve vibe (who is also a Philly chick). In fact, I think the first time I saw her in something I thought she was Eve.

When the boys all said "damn" I wondered if I'd ever heard a kid Jack's age curse on a network show. It didn't bother me, but it struck me that it may be new for me.

How could I forget Sam and Diane? I was a huge fan of Cheers and of Frasier, for that matter. Maybe they can get a boy for Diane to crush on who is named Sam.

I guess Diane would be more likely to crush a boy than to crush on one, now that I think about it.

• Love 1
I guess Diane would be more likely to crush a boy than to crush on one, now that I think about it.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. That Sam boy better hope Diane's gentle with him.

To add to the quotes list - "I don't need to ruin this plan. It came pre-ruined."

Somehow I never noticed it behind Charlie's crazy eyes and facial expressions, but the actor playing him one good-looking man. That shot where the camera was panning around his serious face when he was getting himself ready to meet Dominique was a thing of beauty.

• Love 9

When the boys all said "damn" I wondered if I'd ever heard a kid Jack's age curse on a network show. It didn't bother me, but it struck me that it may be new for me.

The use of "damn" didn't strike me there, but Jack's repeated reference to "kicking someone in the balls" did. I guess it didn't bother me, but I've only noticed "balls" (in that sense) being said on primetime in the last several years, and to hear it from a kid Jack's age was, I'll admit, a mite startling.

• Love 3

Somehow I never noticed it behind Charlie's crazy eyes and facial expressions, but the actor playing him one good-looking man. That shot where the camera was panning around his serious face when he was getting himself ready to meet Dominique was a thing of beauty.

I noticed it too.  Kudos to the actor.  You don't notice that he's handsome, you only see the crazy that is Charlie.

• Love 10

"After Eustace was born, my wife said she (Monique) had to go" LOL!! Oh Charlie!! 

I love his feud with "Girl Twin" and all he times he said she must be a witch. Also loved Charlie's hapless run when he went to tell the kids their scheme wasn't working. He did the same little arms-flailing-at-his-side run when he returned to the living room to fess up to Dominique. Ha-Ha.

I watched it 3 times and found something new to laugh at every time. Funny, funny episode.

Oh, I almost forgot Dre's airplane freakouts... especially after the pillow fell on him and he screamed for his "plane candy". LOL!

Edited by 40Love
  • Love 2

"After Eustace was born, my wife said she (Monique) had to go" LOL!! Oh Charlie!! 

I love his feud with "Girl Twin" and all he times he said she must be a witch. Also loved Charlie's hapless run when he went to tell the kids their scheme wasn't working. He did the same little arms-flailing-at-his-side run when he returned to the living room to fess up to Dominique. Ha-Ha.

I watched it 3 times and found something new to laugh at every time. Funny, funny episode.

Oh, I almost forgot Dre's airplane freakouts... especially after the pillow fell on him and he screamed for his "plane candy". LOL!

The arm flailing was a pop culture nod to the movie Friday and it was hilarious

Amber Rose is the ex girlfriend of Kayne "I had to take 30 showers after dating her* West (asshole) and ex wife to Wiz Khalifa. That said she is absolutely gorgeous and I thought she did a really good job. And MUST. HAVE. THAT. LIPSTICK.

This is one of those rare shows where it is hard to pick a favorite because everyone does such a good job. Even Zoe who mostly comes off as if she is above it all does a great job of acting above it all. My girl crush on TER continues to get stronger and stronger.

Edited by Boofish
  • Love 1

Being a unabashed fan of It's Complicated (and, to a lesser degree, Something's Gotta Give) I was LOVIN all the N. Meyers references. The honey lavender ice cream was the ..... well the ice cream on the cake!  "Cinnabon baby" and "Unbreak my heart" were also aces.

biakbiak, on 12 Nov 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

Who wrote this episode? Everyone knows that the douchiest of Harvard grads don't say they went to Harvard, they say they went to school in Cambridge or Boston.

Considering how many colleges there are in Boston, doesn't that get, um... confusing? 

• Love 1

No, because those who went to one of the other colleges will say exactly where. It's only the Harvard grads who toss it away like that. (Even funnier are the Yale grads who say they went "to New Haven.")

• Love 4

No, because those who went to one of the other colleges will say exactly where. It's only the Harvard grads who toss it away like that. (Even funnier are the Yale grads who say they went "to New Haven.")

When n someone says New Haven, I always respond with "I have heard good things about Quinnipiac."

• Love 5

I'm still trying to catch my breath from when the D'Angelo song starting playing. I mean, Charlie is handsome and all but D'Angelo in his day (and in that video) was next level.

Was Charlie wearing the turtleneck backwards? There seemed to be excess fabric in the collarbone area. (I hate that I notice such things...)

Doesn't it also get pretty cold in DC in the winter? Maybe not as cold as RI but it's still going to be much colder than LA. Unless the actress is leaving the show I bet Zoey will end up going to USC or somewhere else in LA area or at least in CA.

Dru told Zoey he would buy her a Tesla X if she made the choice he wanted. I'm guessing he was joking because that is an $132,000 car. He and Bow are well off but I can't see them buying their teenaged daughter a car quite that expensive, especially since she only recently learned to drive.

Another killer episode. Surely Black-ish will get some Emmy recognition next year now that the hype for Empire is dying down.

• Love 1

Doesn't it also get pretty cold in DC in the winter? Maybe not as cold as RI but it's still going to be much colder than LA. Unless the actress is leaving the show I bet Zoey will end up going to USC or somewhere else in LA area or at least in CA.

Yes. It can get very cold, icy and snowy in DC.

In my house, sometimes Mr. Stone walks up to me with his pants hanging so his pelvic bones stick out and starts crooning D'Angelo...so when Charlie started, we both looked at each other and laughed for so long we had to rewind the show to catch what we missed.

This episode was stellar.

• Love 4

And is that a thing to fly cross country to check out a college before applying? Every show seems to do it, but it don't know anyone who did that in real life, even though most kids I know go to uni or college. They check it out online, apply, and if they're accepted and choose it, they discover the campus when they get there. Who has the time and money to jet around the country just to look at potential schools?

College visits are super popular. At my kids' high school the Seniors are revisiting their top choices, all the Juniors are scheduling their visits. It doesn't count as an absence from school either. Most kids I know go to at least two, many go to five or six.

He specifically mentioned "a UC," which would mean one of the University of California campuses (not USC.) And my impression was that in addition to the distance issue, he also wanted to save money on tuition by having her go to a public university. So, if she goes that route, it would probably be UCLA or UC-Irvine if she's going to be relatively close to home.

• Love 1

"I'm wearing, 'Neck,' by Turtle." 

"Farmhouse sinks... If you caint wash your pig in it, dont' even show it to me."

"You speak French?"

"poquito"

"caliente."

"gesundheit."

"Omg my kid is home alone. I should Uber him some wings."

"This is Cinnabun baby all over again."

I was laughing about something else and missed the farmhouse sink joke! 

That said she is absolutely gorgeous and I thought she did a really good job. And MUST. HAVE. THAT. LIPSTICK.

Is there a way to contact the show and find out what the lip product was? 

• Love 2
Everyone knows that the douchiest of Harvard grads don't say they went to Harvard, they say they went to school in Cambridge or Boston.

DAMN IT. That's what I say (Boston), in an attempt to NOT be a douche!

This episode had me rolling, from the douche-y Ivy League storyline (nicely complimented by Bow wearing a Brown shirt in every single scene) to the hyper-medicated flyer storyline (a trait I share with Dre) to Charlie and Junior being Nancy Meyers soulmates. But truly nothing...nothing...could have prepared me for Charlie doing D'Angelo in the mirror. I damn near passed out.

This show has won my head & my heart.

• Love 3

College visits are super popular. At my kids' high school the Seniors are revisiting their top choices, all the Juniors are scheduling their visits. It doesn't count as an absence from school either. Most kids I know go to at least two, many go to five or six.

I've read that my alma mater (which is an Ivy) does factor efforts to make a campus visit into the acceptance decision.

I was laughing about something else and missed the farmhouse sink joke!

Is there a way to contact the show and find out what the lip product was?

I'm going to check wornontv.net. They have a list of shows, the clothes and where to buy

• Love 1

This episode had the hubby and I rolling. The reference to D'Angelo was gold. I about died every time Charlie ran. I kinda love Something's Gotta Give and I like It's Complicated. Since Junior is my favorite character I love that he loves those movies, too. So many great lines. I can't stand Diane but her stock went up when she said the stuff about the ice cream but was really talking about Junior. 

The only thing I didn't like was Dre saying Bow's mother had nothing to do with how well she turned out. Really? For once, can Bow come for Dre for the way he talks about her parents when his parents are let's face it, assholes. Love me some Pops though at time. Other times, he needs to be nicer to his son. He was a terrible father and Ruby is damn near hateful. 

I remember the first time I saw Amber Rose on RuPaul's Drag Race. I was amazed at how gorgeous she was. She was like a Barbie, damn near perfect. She was sitting down so I didn't see all that she was working with. Goodness! She has terrible taste in men. Hopefully, her acting career fares better with more practice. 

Edited by nicepebbles
  • Love 1

I've read that my alma mater (which is an Ivy) does factor efforts to make a campus visit into the acceptance decision.

Is that right? Brown should be Zoey's for the taking then - not only has she visited, hers is a legacy admission since her Mom is an alum (and possibly of the donating kind), she is a minority, and I'm assuming her grades and scores are good enough since they think she has a shot. How old is Zoey supposed to be, btw? I thought she was 14 for some reason, a little young to be visiting colleges, no? Anyway, she is going to go to UCLA, that's probably a quarter of Brown's tuition.

How old is Zoey supposed to be, btw? I thought she was 14 for some reason, a little young to be visiting colleges, no?

In season 1 there was the episode where she drove the car without a license and Dre said that she was 15. So she would either still be 15 or 16 if she had a birthday after that episode.

I forgot to comment on this episode. We are Dre and Bow, COE. We laughed so hard. Part of me is like, yeah we should be able to give the Lord a good portion of our Sunday. On the other hand, I'm like, I get 2 days off and I need my time. 

Junior and his 2 small suits was hilarious. I love that the white family was like, "We can't do this all day Sunday thing" essentially. I thought they would love it and Dre and Bow would be stuck or admit they are only COE. 

To me Diane is mean. For someone so smart she has doesn't know understand tact and social niceties? No, she knows and doesn't care. Then again, she does Pops and Ruby as grandparents. They don't care about feelings either. Dre sometimes, too. 

"This just in: God don't like your tone."

Between that line (which totally cracked me up) and "Girl Twin" and the songs and the movie references, I was laughing throughout the watching of this episode. Fun stuff all around. 

I also loved Junior's aside to Jack about how he'd only been 50% sure Diane had been talking about him, with her melted ice cream reference. Heeee.

And is that a thing to fly cross country to check out a college before applying?

Most of the schools I considered were within a few hours driving distance, so my parents and I drove to visit the schools, but yeah, it was important to me and to my parents to see what the actual school was like. Plus, I was a music major, so they usually required you to come to the school and audition. I actually wanted to check out Berklee School of Music, but it was too far away; I think my parents said no, it's too far away (not for me to live, but 1) they didn't know the area and 2) it was too expensive to go that far to visit).

Another thing is... there was no major public internet viewable / accessible 15-20+ years ago for people to check out a school that way. They really did have to send away for brochures and go see it in person. (Wow, do I suddenly start to feel OLD. LOL.)

In my house, sometimes Mr. Stone walks up to me with his pants hanging so his pelvic bones stick out and starts crooning D'Angelo...so when Charlie started, we both looked at each other and laughed for so long we had to rewind the show to catch what we missed.

Mya Stone, that is the best. I love it.

Side note: I also loved how Charlie got all panicked and yanked at his turtleneck and was all, "Cut me out of this..." like he was Sarah Jessica Parker from Sex & The City trying on a wedding dress. Heee. I don't know if that's the reference they meant to joke about but it's the first thing that came to my mind. So funny.

• Love 2

I work with teenagers and part of my job is taking our students on college tours. In theory it gets them away from picking what they know (HU) and shows them small, medium, large, city and rural campuses.  Our kids are low income so odds are their parents can't afford to take them.  We've never made it cross country, but we have gone as far west as Chicago, and from Boston to Orlando.

• Love 3

Dre's childhood friend comes to stay at the house, but Bow suspects him of taking advantage of Dre's generosity. Meanwhile, Mr. Stevens' ex-wife gains control of half of the company and begins to question Charlie's work ethic.

• Love 1