Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E05: TV Night

• Start Topic

Host of “America’s Funniest Home Videos” and Season 19 Mirrorball Champion, Alfonso Ribeiro, returns to the ballroom for a special TV Night themed episode of “Dancing with the Stars” LIVE on MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 28 (8:00-10:01 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. Taking part in the celebration, Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, The Great Gonzo, Pepé the King Prawn, and other Muppets will kick off the evening followed by a huge opening number featuring the cast of “Dancing with the Stars.” The night continues when each couple performs an all-new routine to a theme song that commemorates iconic television throughout history, from “Breaking Bad” to “I Dream of Jeanie” and beyond. At the end of the night, the couple with the lowest combined judges and viewer votes from Tuesday, September 22 will be eliminated.

Couples Will Dance to Songs From the Following TV Shows:

Alek Skarlatos & Lindsay Arnold – True Blood

Alexa PenaVega & Mark Ballas – Breaking Bad

Andy Grammer & Allison Holker – American Bandstand

Bindi Irwin & Derek Hough – The Jeffersons

Carlos PenaVega & Witney Carson – The Golden Girls

Gary Busey & Anna Trebunskaya – The Addams Family

Hayes Grier & Emma Slater – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Kim Zolciak Biermann & Tony Dovolani – I Dream of Jeannie

Nick Carter & Sharna Burgess – Downton Abbey

Paula Deen & Louis van Amstel – Gilligan’s Island

Tamar Braxton & Valentin Chmerkovskiy – Mad Men

Edited by radishcake
locked thread until the show airs

Carlos and Witney did as best they could with "Thank You for Being a Friend", but I'm not sure that channeling 80 year olds is what you want to depend on to keep you in a competition.

Too theme-y for TV theme week? I think Julianne missed the memo. Paula's dance was cute. Not a samba, but cute. I think that's what people want for TV theme week, yes?

Tamar, honey, sexist? Welcome to Man Men. And honestly the "independent woman" thing is going to wear thin if that's her schtick every week. Your theme is 60s. You're dancing a tango. It's like ... doubly not feminist. Let him dominate. Geez. Also, I was disappointed with their dance. I did not connect like I think I was supposed to. Honestly, I expected more and I'm not sure why the judges loved it so much. I thought she was oddly disconnected.

The judges don't have anything bad to say about Mark and Alexa ... but give them 9s? For what it's worth ... wasn't a fan. But I'm also not a Breaking Bad fan, so ... no aliegence there. Their scores just make me think they're reserving the 10s for someone else tonight. (Nick or Bindi, barring any giant problems, IMO.)

Also ... hello Artem. <3

I loved Allison's ... shoes. And Andy really looks like he could be from the 50s. But what I'm findingwith Allison is that she tends to be frantic a lot of the time, and whether they are or not, that makes them look muddy. Unfinished. It's a disservice to Andy.

Based on the praise and the scores the judges gave Gary ... he's gone. (Unless Kim is his saving grace and bows out.) A member of Menses? Gary, I don't think that's the word you want.

Tony had a lot of solo work for Kim ... is it mean of me to say I'm glad we got to see Jenna dance it instead? I'm glad Kim seems to being doing okay, but I think she needed to bow out instead of making the show pull out "the rules". I'm sad for Tony because he got screwed.

Nick Carter in tails? More of that, please. I think Nick does better with the ballroom dances than the latin dances, at least so far. I don't think that's been a thing since Evan Lysacek. I really, really like his partnership with Sharna. And I really liked what Sharna did with Downton Abbey as a theme.

Side note: it's like Alfonso can't even believe the crap they're having him say. But good for you, Alfonso, for reveling in the boos. I feel like that means you made it as a DWTS judge now.

Emma, you're missing a turtle. Donnatello? Leonardo? (I couldn't tell if blue or purple was MIA.) Also, does Hayes even know who the Ninja Turtles are? That's my generation, and I'm double Hayes's age. On the upside, Hayes is set for a Halloween costume.

Not surprised by Andy in jeopardy, but I can't tell if it's producer driven to garner more votes or because they're actually in jeopardy. The producers are really setting up for a Paula elimination next week, huh? You're welcome, Gary. (Unless things backfire and Paula gets a bunch of votes for being in the bottom this week.)

All things considered I actually enjoyed TV theme week.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 3

If Kim really didn't ask to leave or wasn't the true bottom one tonight, she got screwed. There's no reason why she and Tony could not have FaceTimed the performance live from Atlanta. It wouldn't have been great, but the judges can score based on camera blocking or rehearsal footage. I don't see how that would be different from a FaceTime performance.

I assume the rules are something from the FCC or the award shows to properly classify DWTS as a competition show?

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 2

If Kim really didn't ask to leave or wasn't the true bottom one tonight, she got screwed. There's no reason why she and Tony could not have FaceTimed the performance live from Atlanta. It wouldn't have been great, but the judges can score based on camera blocking or rehearsal footage. I don't see how that would be different from a FaceTime performance.

I assume the rules are something from the FCC or the award shows to properly classify DWTS as a competition show?

IMO, she was not screwed.  If you can't be there to dance then you're out.   Good riddance to her!  I do feel badly for Tony though.

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 9
Tamar, honey, sexist? Welcome to Man Men. And honestly the "independent woman" thing is going to wear thin if that's her schtick every week. Your theme is 60s. You're dancing a tango. It's like ... doubly not feminist. Let him dominate. Geez. Also, I was disappointed with their dance. I did not connect like I think I was supposed to. Honestly, I expected more and I'm not sure why the judges loved it so much. I thought she was oddly disconnected.

LOL on the "doubly not feminist."  Agreed.  And I didn't like it either.  It wasn't beautiful, and her facial expressions are always so odd. 

Also loved Nick and Sharna.

• Love 4

Well it was pretty obvious that with Kim withdrawing that no one else was going to go home. I would never wish ill health on anyone so good luck to Kim and her health but I can't say I'll miss her on the show. She sucked and she had no shot of winning anyway. 

Can I just say I found Alfonso incredibly grating through the night? Could dude have been more pretentious and obnoxious? I don't care that he won the mirror-ball, Alfonso Ribero is no ballroom expert and I was tired of him acting and speaking like he was one. Or maybe I'm being extra sensitive because he just bugs.

Interesting that they still did an in jeopardy even with no one going home and I have to say, I was amused by Andy's stunned and baffled expression at being in jeopardy. Dude clearly thinks he's a better dancer than he actually is. That'll be a hard pill to swallow when he does inevitably get eliminated. 

Carlos/Witney (Jazz) – It was a cute number. This was a very tough assignment because the song isn’t really that high energy. But I thought Witney did a pretty decent job with the choreography. Not my favorite jazz but it was okay. Also I know they were going for the Golden Girls theme but those costumes weren’t helping in taking me out of the performance.

Paula/Louis (Samba) – You know what, she tried. She gave it her all and she remembered most of the choreography, so points for that. She was never going to come out there and deliver a high energy Samba so I mean it was what it was. I agreed with Julianne that there could have been more of the Samba requirements but it was okay. I find all her mess after the performance annoying though – there’s the grand-kids and then the friend in the crowd and then she’s talking to people and just too much.

Tamar/Val (Tango) – It was good but holy dead eyes Tamar. Girl was dead in the face throughout that whole number. She lost the frame a little towards the end but it was good. I find the judges’ scores surprising since they were so positive in their comments and really gave her nothing to work on. I expected more 9’s although I thought the 8’s were fair since like I said I thought she was dead in the face. Knowing this show’s audience, I think Tamar will turn some people off with her “complaining” and Alfonso did have a point about listening to Val because he has won the trophy and knows what he’s doing. That said, I can’t say I disagree with what she’s saying. Why are so many of Val’s concepts about him being “the man?”

Alexa/Mark (Jazz) – I love “family show” DWTS having a performance about meth dealers/addicts – good times. I was not as enthused as the judges because I thought there were a few awkward moments in the dance. It was almost like Mark and Alexa were figuring out what came next or getting themselves into position for the next move.  It didn’t flow continuously for me but it was good and I expected nothing less from Mark with a Jazz and a theme like this. After a slow start, maybe Alexa is finally starting to pull away, while Carlos who started strong seems to be falling behind.

Andy/Alison (Quickstep) – That was his best dance.  It wasn’t perfect but much improved from his other dances and I actually think the judges, particularly Carrie Ann was a little hard on him. 

Gary/Anna (Tango) – Anna looked gorgeous. She may have even put Anjelica Houston’s Morticia to shame. Oh right, this should be about Gary. Um well he stayed in time, I guess.

Alek/Lindsay (Tango) – I’ll need to re-watch it to be honest because I was completely distracted by Lindsay, who was gorgeous in the number, but not exactly the one being judged. What I remember of it did look dramatic and intense and fitting both for the Tango and the True Blood theme.

Bindi/Derek (Quickstep) – This was really cute and fun. I could tell they were limited by time because I can’t remember the last time Derek just went straight into a dance like that. I actually thought Bindi’s frame was good but like the Tango, when she kept getting out of hold, she lost it for a few seconds coming back into hold. I’m surprised that Derek hasn’t realized this (or maybe he has but I don't know why he will keep doing it) and keeps putting all these breaks in hold, especially when there shouldn’t even be breaks in hold for the Quickstep. I actually think if they had just done a straight Quickstep, Bindi’s technique would have been better.

Nick/Sharna (Viennese Waltz) – This was really beautiful. Nick does dapper very well - who knew. His posture was gorgeous. The knees were a bit bent but this was really, really good. Nick may finally be reaching those high front-runner expectations many had of him coming into the season. This was the only dance of the night that I feel like I will truly remember.

Hayes/Emma (Jive) – This was very disappointing and I blame Emma for that. Hayes gave it his all as usual but I feel like I’m still waiting to see a Jive and I’m baffled at none of the judges mentioning this.

Two things, I still feel like I'm waiting to be truly wowed this season but it's still early. Second, could the female Pros have been MORE naked in that opening number and what the hell was that "dance". Yeah can we get rid of Mandy Moore?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

LOL on the "doubly not feminist."  Agreed.  And I didn't like it either.  It wasn't beautiful, and her facial expressions are always so odd.

I admittedly didn't watch too critically, so maybe it was awesome, but her face was weird. And she seemed very loose and flail-y for a tango. I do not get why the judges fawned over it so much.

• Love 4

I thought Nick saying "mazel tov" after breaking the glass on the floor was the funniest part of the show. I also think the camera person or director thinks his manager is his wife, because the camera keeps panning to her, with his wife sitting a few seats down!

I'm glad Kim was auf'ed, because she's really pretty bad, but her reality show fans would have probably kept her awhile longer. It was weird that they had Tony perform the dance with Jenna anyway, cuz they've had celebs drop out due to illness or injury before, yet they just made the announcement and the pro never performed the dance. Maybe they had time to kill?

• Love 6

There have been several instances in the past of contestants being judged on their pre-recorded dress rehearsals, when they were injured and couldn't dance on the live show, but weren't injured enough to take them out for the season. How did the "rules" allow that but wouldn't have allowed some way for Kim and Tony to dance from Atlanta? It's a show and producers can do what they want, but I don't buy that this was just some strict adherence to "rules."

• Love 3

Didn't Melissa Rycroft have to sit out a week in Season 8 due to a rib injury? IIRC, the audience got to see her camera blocking footage instead and that's also what she was judged on, but she got to stay in the competition. Is Kim's case different because she wasn't in LA for any of the rehearsals or camera blocking?

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2

Here we go...Week 3

Another Mandy (with Jeremy Hudson) bump & grind opener...Uggggh!

Carlos:
A little strife in rehearsals? Surprised they didn't pull any punches in that rehearsal video.  I'm not so sure he's willing to give up control to Witney.   I enjoyed the dance - Witney is quite good at the jazz-type routines.  Carlos is still showing that hunchy swag, though not sure if that was the elder character.  Agreed with CAI (shocking, I know). He closes in or hunches in.  I thought the 8s were a bit high. 7-7-7-8 would have been better.

Alfonso is actually giving technique critiques? Hmmmm.

Paula:
Again, missed it. I'm not intentionally skipping her dances.  Why do people call me during DWTS :(

Tamar:
The arguing about theme is getting old.  She had a deer-in-the-headlights look through much of the dance.  It wasn't sexy or passionate. It was just uncomfortable to watch.  Not her best.  The 9 was way too high. I'd go with 8s and maybe one 7.  I'd really like to see something softer and romantic from her next week.

Alexa:
Awesomely creative and Alexa was a full partner, not just keeping up. It must have been hard dancing in those suits - hot and I'd imagine they were slippery for the lifts. Agree with the scores. Glad both Alfonso & Julianne talked about Mark being Alexa's partner in the ballroom - Alexa seemed to get the message.

Andy:
This should be right in Andy's wheelhouse. Allison...not so much. Posture, shoulders, lack of body contact, break in the middle.  Pleeeeese someone find Andy a new partner.  I thought Peta was going to be at the rehearsals to help out. Anyone hear if she's been around?  Scores were fair.

Gary:
Gary is really driven to do well. I was impressed by his video package.  Gary was a little more Lurch than Gomez, but no matter. I enjoyed it and I enjoyed his efforts.  Clearly he's loving this and that's worth something beyond scores. The scores were good. I wouldn't have kicked up a fuss for one more 7 (scoring based on his progression, not as a comparison to others...or so the judges like to say).

Alek:
I don't think he needs "sexy lessons".  He's got a beautifully masculine way of moving and he looked like he was really leading.  I missed the error that CAI mentioned. His feet did look a little messy. Also I noticed that he maintained a stone-face for the whole dance.  Scores were fair.

Bindi:
All the breaks in hold? It looked like Bindi lost the footwork at one point and they had to pause and restart.  Her posture wasn't good - it looked like Derek was pulling her along a few times.  A foot injury? Plus Derek was getting twangs in his ankle?  I'm ok with the score, maybe a point or two too high.  I'm getting the impression that Derek is testing the limits. The contemporary "waltz" last week. The break in hold in the middle of the quickstep this week?  What's next week...

Nick:
I'm not a boy band fan so I had no idea what to expect from Nick but he's coming off very sincere.  Beautiful performance! I didn't like the other couples on the floor but thankfully they backed off.  Agree with the scores. This is what I love about this show - beautiful classic dances.

Hayes:
He started off strong but it kinda went flat about half way through. He started looking a little sloppy like he ran out of energy. Scores were too high. 7-7-7-7 would have been fine, maybe even a 6 would have been ok.

Too bad about Kim but I think her staying home in Atlanta is really for the best. Health comes first. I wish her well.

Oh, also, can Alfonso FINALLY leave the ballroom now. He just gets on my last nerve.  Guest judges can like or dislike but to give technique critiques? Mmmm no!

Edited by Uke
  • Love 4

I hate putting more than just the competing couple on stage----all it does is detract from the dancers. Perhaps it's done to cover up for crappy dancers? The extra dancers sure covered up Paula dancing. Was Paula getting mouthy with the judges? And was that her husband in the audiences? I read a couple weeks ago that he filed for divorce.

Tamar needs to go. I just can't stand her attitude.

Loved Alexa and Mark's dance. Boy, did they do a job on Mark to make him look like Bryan Cranston?

Gary is just plain sorry and sad. But, was he high? His thing about the votes was just strange and made no sense.

I was waiting for Lindsay!s boobs to pop out of that outfit.

Poor Tony. I feel bad for him, but his dance with Jenna was great. He sure was able to show off his dancing skills. Kim needed to bow out gracefully. I agree, the rules are the rules.

Sorry, but my total dislike for Derek completely shades my opinion on their dancing.

The dance to Downton was beautiful.

Really didn't like the Ninja Turtles routine.

Paula was saved by Kim's dropping out.

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 2

Didn't Melissa Rycroft have to sit out a week in Season 8 due to a rib injury? IIRC, the audience got to see her camera blocking footage instead and that's also what she was judged on, but she got to stay in the competition. Is Kim's case different because she wasn't in LA for any of the rehearsals or camera blocking?

Yes, I thought she should have been booted out for that and Amy Purdy should have too for not doing the group dance in her season.

• Love 3

Yes. Melissa and also Amy's team dance. They used camera blocking footage which was allowed by the rules. In Kim's case, she didn't dance and they had nothing to judge.

• Love 3

I think that is the sticking point. Had Kim made it to LA and been able to do camera blocking or dress rehearsal, that would be allowed but they can't create a special situation where they film her separately in Atlanta. 

• Love 3

There have been several instances in the past of contestants being judged on their pre-recorded dress rehearsals, when they were injured and couldn't dance on the live show, but weren't injured enough to take them out for the season. How did the "rules" allow that but wouldn't have allowed some way for Kim and Tony to dance from Atlanta?

Probably because they made it all the way to camera blocking and/or the dress rehearsal. Kim got a day of "practicing" in her hospital room. Plus, it was likely more CYA. A stroke is more serious than a bruised rib or a twisted ankle, IMO.

• Love 5

Here we go...Week 3

Andy:

This should be right in Andy's wheelhouse. Allison...not so much. Posture, shoulders, lack of body contact, break in the middle.  Pleeeeese someone find Andy a new partner.  I thought Peta was going to be at the rehearsals to help out. Anyone hear if she's been around?  Scores were fair.

No. She has been in Ohio recuperating from her surgery since the start of the season. She did tweet something about Andy tonight as she seemed to be live tweeting the show but it was the first time she's mentioned him since bowing out. I don't think we'll see her helping out anytime soon. She seems to be all in for Gary Busey based on her tweets. LOL

Emma, you're missing a turtle. Donnatello? Leonardo? (I couldn't tell if blue or purple was MIA.) Also, does Hayes even know who the Ninja Turtles are? That's my generation, and I'm double Hayes's age. On the upside, Hayes is set for a Halloween costume.

The TMNT franchise has been rebooted a few times since they first came out, on TV and in movies; the latest reboot was #1 for two weekends last summer and is getting a sequel. There was an animated feature film in 2007 or so; Hayes would've been in the target audience for that.

If the show has judged rehearsal footage in the past, I don't know why it would getting a camera crew from the local ABC affiliate to go to Kim's house or a local dance studio (or they could've rented out a hotel conference room in Atlanta and brought in an audience) would've been so much more of a stretch. I think the real reason is an insurance thing and fears of something worse happening to Kim if she continues in the competition, and how DWTS/ABC would look in that case.

I didn't see the part where they discussed Kim but it looked like she didn't get out of the hospital until Friday maybe? Was she even able to learn the dance enough to do it remotely if they had let her?

I really liked Alexa and Mark's Breaking Bad dance. My kids thought they were supposed to be firemen, so no need to explain the drug thing!

I also liked Tamar, Nick, and Alek. 

I tend to be a stickler like Len, so I did not appreciate Bindi and Derek breaking hold. Also thought there was too much hip hop and not enough jive in Hayes's Ninja Turtle dance.

• Love 3

I didn't see the part where they discussed Kim but it looked like she didn't get out of the hospital until Friday maybe? Was she even able to learn the dance enough to do it remotely if they had let her?

She said on her FaceTime that she learned it all Saturday. We don't know how much of that was exaggeration though.

Second, could the female Pros have been MORE naked in that opening number and what the hell was that "dance". Yeah can we get rid of Mandy Moore?

This is actually the first season I've ever watched this show (I've seen bits and pieces over the years), and the first thing I thought during that number was "where are the poles?"  Is this sort of thing a recent development?

• Love 4

I also am puzzled why Kim couldn't have been scored based on rehearsal. She probably wasn't long for the show anyways, but still, an unfortunate way to exit. I hope she gets well. Stinks for Tony. Maybe Derek will have an injury and Tony gets to take over and can win again.

Did Julianne really say that Lindsay is the best pro partner? Surprised she would say something like that.

They probably did Kim a favor re: not judging her rehearsal footage because let's face it, she's not the kind of dancer that could have put together a dance in a day that the judges could have done anything with.

• Love 1

Paula/Louis (Samba) – You know what, she tried. She gave it her all and she remembered most of the choreography, so points for that. She was never going to come out there and deliver a high energy Samba so I mean it was what it was. I agreed with Julianne that there could have been more of the Samba requirements but it was okay. I find all her mess after the performance annoying though – there’s the grand-kids and then the friend in the crowd and then she’s talking to people and just too much.

Yes. This exactly. That is the perfect description "all of her mess." It is always just TOO much. It exhausts me. 

• Love 3

Aw, I'm bummed we didn't get Jetsons. I bet Sasha was bummed not to get to be a part of hoverboard squad. (Now I know what his instagram from earlier in the week was all about.) 

Speaking of Sasha, he is kind of a perfect Gilligan. And new trouper Hayley is a perfect MaryAnne. Thats...about all I have to say about that dance.

Speaking of perfect casting, yes please for Nick Carter as Dan Stevens. Nick seems to do well in the debonair dances. Also firmly in the adorable category, Alek and Lindsay. 

I'm still not convinced that Tamar is getting an "attitude edit" so much as it's people not getting or not liking her sense of humor. Again the "argument" with Val felt like it was supposed to be funny, light hearted ribbing. (Yeah, Val, why you always got to be "The Man"?) Iiinteresting that Val agreed with the chemistry critiques from last week. If it's true that her manager/husband is around all the time, that might be something she needs to work on. (Same critique as Alexa got - you can't win with him, you can win with Val.) 

There's something about Carlos that bugs for me, it's this dominant, controlling undercurrent to all the cheerfulness, that he's got to let go of. I like Alexa a lot better apart from him, she seems to kowtow to him really easily. I'm not trying to leap to any accusations of disfunction, but it's just a thing I've noticed, and was happy to see less of it from her this week. 

I am...actually impressed with how much Gary seems to want to be there. Dammit show, you're not supposed to make me feel for Gary Busey. 

• Love 8

Alek is quickly becoming my favorite.  Every week I'm amazed that this is someone who never danced before. I was so pleased to see Lindsay get proper credit tonight for being such a good teacher.

Can I just say I found Alfonso incredibly grating through the night? Could dude have been more pretentious and obnoxious? I don't care that he won the mirror-ball, Alfonso Ribero is no ballroom expert and I was tired of him acting and speaking like he was one. Or maybe I'm being extra sensitive because he just bugs.

He may not be an actual expert but he was correct with the stuff he did say so he has enough knowledge, the other judges even said they agreed with him a few times. If he didnt give actual critiques he would be criticized for that.  I was actually glad to see he was somewhat reasonable especially with Witney who hes tight with.

• Love 13

The best dances of the night for me were Alexa/Mark and Alek/Lindsay.  

I did not remotely like Bindi's dance.  Whose bright idea was it to think a 17 year old Australian and Golden Boy from Utah could do justice to The Jefferson's??  Neither one of them have even seen the show.  

ETA:  I think Alfonso was a great judge!  At least he has danced on the show, unlike some of the others that they have had on there.

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 1

I know these big production numbers are supposed to be exciting, but I'm so bored by them. 

My favorites of the night were Nick/Sharna and Alek/Lindsay, I would be happy with those as the final two.

Bindi is still one of the most annoying people to ever grace the ballroom.

Really, though, no one is grabbing me this season.. No one is blowing me away with their dancing

• Love 1

No. She has been in Ohio recuperating from her surgery since the start of the season. She did tweet something about Andy tonight as she seemed to be live tweeting the show but it was the first time she's mentioned him since bowing out. I don't think we'll see her helping out anytime soon. She seems to be all in for Gary Busey based on her tweets. LOL

What a shame. Oh well. Andy isn't Peta's responsibility. I hope her recovery is going well.

That breaking bad dance was all kinds of awesome. I'm sad for Tony about him and Kim. Alek is my surprising favorite, he's really good and he seems like a nice guy. Bindi and Derek's dance wasn't that good and the lack of hold bugged me today. I watch too much of this show to notice it but it bugs me when it happens and with pros like Derek who should be all over that. 

• Love 2

I think there's a very good chance that Kim was nowhere near ready (or willing) to even perform a dress rehearsal of the routine.  Especially that routine.  

I think the show may have just given her, or more likely Tony, a graceful way to exit and save face.

So I really don't think that Kim's staying around was ever in the cards.

• Love 6

I have no problem with Alfonso judging based on that he's competed before, but the problem I had was his trying to be this "technique/critique" guy. I'm sorry, but winning DWTS and dancing for maybe 3 months makes you an expert on toe leads and frame? other guest judges like Redfoo or Jessie J weren't there talking about footwork and other stuff which is why it wasn't a huge deal. Alfonso was just trying to be a "ballroom dance judge" and it came off obnoxious for me.

Now can he just go back to him apartment under the DWTS stage until he gets resurrected for another appearance next season?

In terms of the dances tonight:

1. Carlos/Witney (Jazz)  I think he started out strong with the Jive, but hasn’t really come out with a dance as good as that since. I think the Golden Girls theme was a bit odd in general. Witney did the best she could with the costumes and the choreo, but Carlos held back a bit. He could’ve given it more. 

2. Paula/Louis (Samba)  She’s gotten 2 of the hardest dances, first the Quickstep and now the Samba. I liked the effects and the staging of it all, but her dancing was weak. Very typical “tentative older lady” style. 

3. Tamar/Val (Tango)  Loved the mood and atmosphere of this dance and man did she look like Toni in this dance. I thought her dancing was strong. I would’ve liked a bit of a stronger frame and a bit more of a staccato movement, but overall, one of my favorites of the night. She can pull off the drama and the fun and it makes her a contender. 

4. Alexa/Mark (Jazz)  Jazz is basically a free for all and Mark was given a great theme and a great show to work with. I don’t think any other pro could’ve given this dance was he did. I loved the darkness of it all and Alexa matched his step for step. This is the dancer I’ve wanted her to be season the start. I think this was a great breakthrough for her and for them as a partnership.

5. Andy/Allison (Quickstep) It was a fun number, but he’s failing to really stand out for me, dancing wise. He’s got a good sense of humor and works hard, but there’s just something that’s preventing me from remembering too much of his dances each time and I think that could turn into a “shocker” elimination soon. 

6. Gary/Anna (Tango) Anna looked amazing as Morticia in this. Gary did a serviceable Tango. Nothing hugely amazing about nor was it the worst, it was just kinda eh all around. His days are numbered so there’s not much to really talk about. 

7. Alek/Lindsay (Tango) I think his posture and footwork was a bit doggy in spots. I liked the theme and thought he could’ve sold the sex appeal a bit more. Not quite sure why Julianne is claiming that he has the best technique. Either she’s indulging in some recreational fun, or pulling a Carrie Ann and being blinded by the handsome guy; maybe it’s a bit of both. 

8. Bindi/Derek (Quickstep) Kudos to them for pulling out a great dance with only 2 dance to rehearse it. I would’ve loved to see it with an extra day or two of polish. I know song clearances happen, but TPTB really let them rehearse this for 2 days without getting a least a bit of an idea that it might not clear? Either way, she’ll come back strong. Looking forward to a Latin dance from her after 3 Ballroom dances in a row.

9. Nick/Sharna (Viennese Waltz) It was a good, solid dance from them. Maybe his strongest technique wise. I found it a bit on the boring side honestly. Viennese Waltz isn’t supposed to be a boring dance. I remember many great, memorable Viennese Waltzes. I think this was just a case of a boring song, for me.

10. Hayes/Emma (Jive) It was a cute idea. Emma made a great April, but I think that costume limited his movement. He didn’t really seem to finish his movements. I’m not sure why this was saved for last. I would’ve let Alexa go last for her great dance. 

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 3

Free Val.  That woman is a balloon-popping menace.  I don't find her even slightly humorous.  And her complete inability to look Val in the face as if he's an actual human being with whom she is dancing is just effing bizarre.  I'd rather watch Val in bumpers than watch her packages anymore.

Then Free Anna.  I'm so happy to see her back, but Gary is seriously annoying in his delusions.

Did Miss Piggy attack Derek with kisses?  I saw some real sexy up there, but Derek?  Brrrrrrrrr.  

I decided Bindi and Derek were dancing a Vienesse waltz themed contemporary and then it was a pretty dang good dance.

I'm really stunned by how much Lindsey has grown as a dancer.  I was horrified to see Karina in that opening dance - she seems classier than that now and I sure remember a time when I would have thought the dance suited her.

The muppets were not as annoying as the animation was in whatever show they did that in.

• Love 2

When I saw what theme Alexa had, I was kinda scared what Mark would do. Because there is a danger with him of overcooking it (yeah, I couldn't resist the pun...). I thought it worked brilliantly, costumes and setting complimenting the freaky theme. And they did a lot of interesting movements in the jazz and did it well, it wasn't just lift, pose, lift.

Carlos had a difficult theme and they did decently with it. We don't know how much is editing of course, but something that came up is where I do think there's a  possibility of danger in the partnership. He treats Witney a bit like a little sister? He's nice, he works hard, he dances well, but it sometimes seems like he's indulging her at times and not really respecting her authority? Or it's the producers hammering that together, who knows. Though I will say once again: It was a good thing Mark immediately addressed what he perceived as an issue with that marrieds!!! things. Yeah, it makes things uncomfortable for a bit to spell it out and perhaps Alexa doesn't want to hear it, but it has the potential to spare them a lot of grief in the long run because it's out in the open and can be addressed and they can work on it.

Andy was once again kinda there. Hayes did a backslide, though the theme didn't help. Tamar's facial expressions did bother me for the first time here, I didn't think they were an issue in the dances before. Otherwise good, though. Nick was great. Bindi had the breaks in hold and she looked a bit sloppy? Alek was decent.

Edited by katha

Also, in my opinion, the Downton Abbey theme is not good enough to listen to for that long.  And as I have no awareness of Nick at all - no fond nostalgic feelings - I am not particularly impressed with him.

Witney's choreo often looked very odd with a woman in gray hair dancing it.

Alfonso yells even louder than Julianne.  It was unbearable.  They all talk down to everyone in order to try to underscore their authority but it just makes them seem like arseholes.

• Love 1

The best part of the whole episode was seeing Anna in the Morticia costume. She needs to take that home for Halloween. I'm so glad she's back.

I also really liked the knock-off Versace the show put Lindsay in. 

I really enjoyed Mark and Alexa. That was trippy, intense and really well danced. I also liked Tamar and Val, though I can see that they're not connected on the dance floor. Nick and Sharna danced beautifully as well, but I did not like their song.

Andy's touring. I'm not surprised. His dances lack polish and if he's splitting his time that won't help. Of course, Allison won't help in general since she's frantic and unpolished herself.

I was really sad the Professor wasn't a part of the Gilligan's Island number. I mean, it was a bad number so why not add one more dancer?

Witney and Carlos got such an awful song. What are you even supposed to do with that? Derek shouldn't be breaking hold in a Quickstep. I like to imagine that Len wakes up Tuesday mornings and watches all the dances. If that's true, he'll be yelling at his computer.

Edited by vibeology
  • Love 2

I did not remotely like Bindi's dance. Whose bright idea was it to think a 17 year old Australian and Golden Boy from Utah could do justice to The Jefferson's?? Neither one of them have even seen the show.

I'm guessing the same geniuses who let them rehearse to a theme song for most of the week without yet having permission to use it. I'm so torn this year. Usually I have no problem disliking Derrick's partners on principle but I just love Bindi. She's so poised for her age and is doing amazingly well for having no dance experience.

Someone please make Allison go away. Pleeeease. I'm far from a ballroom expert but she is so obviously not up to par. Every dance with every partner is just too frantic and comes off sloppy. There are countless classicly trained women out there. Imagine Anna with what's his face.

Was anyone else supremely let down that Gary got the Addams tango? That could have been amazing with some of the other couples. I'm a huge Addams nerd though so I may be taking it too hard. And poor Gary really is trying.

I can't figure out Tamar. And she and Val just have no chemistry and she's not talented enough to fake it. It doesn't even feel like she's trying to connect to him. Too bad because that could have been a gorgeous dance.

• Love 3

Alfonso had prior legitimate dance experience to his stint/win in DWTS S19. It may or may not have included a lot of ballroom, but he had prior dance experience. He starred on Broadway in The Tap Dance Kid in 1983, & danced in 1 of Michael Jackson's Pepsi commercials in 1984.

Based on that, plus anything he picked up during his partnership with Witney that he didn't know before, I think he has enough knowledge to critique on technique (heel leads, toe leads, etc.). And I'm fine with it if anyone wants to disagree with me on this.

• Love 12

I just always found him insufferable both tonight, during his season and every single time he's appeared on the show.

That's why it's hard to get excited about his guest judge stint because it seems like he's always there. It wasn't just him trying to make technique comments, but the constant referral to his season just make him seem like "look at me, look a me, remember when I won?"

• Love 3

I have no problem with Alfonso judging based on that he's competed before, but the problem I had was his trying to be this "technique/critique" guy. I'm sorry, but winning DWTS and dancing for maybe 3 months makes you an expert on toe leads and frame? other guest judges like Redfoo or Jessie J weren't there talking about footwork and other stuff which is why it wasn't a huge deal. Alfonso was just trying to be a "ballroom dance judge" and it came off obnoxious for me.

Now can he just go back to him apartment under the DWTS stage until he gets resurrected for another appearance next season?

And I remember several comments when Redfoo and Jessie J were on with people talking about how unintelligent they sounded and how people wished they had done some research so they could make somewhat intelligent comments. It seemed like Alfonso took his experience from on the show and probably did some research to know some things to look for, instead of just giving trite comments like "That was really fun" or "You guys look good together" or "I just wasn't feeling it, dawg." He was asked to guest judge, which meant giving his opinion. It doesn't mean he thought he was an expert.

And, no, he can't back to an "apartment under the DWTS stage" because he has a show to host. 

I didn't get to see the whole show, but I really enjoyed Alek/Lindsay. Their partnership is so fun and cute. She's a great teacher. I also liked Nick/Sharna. I didn't realize the Downton theme had lyrics.

I'm surprised that with all the drama with Kim the show didn't milk it more and didn't wait until the end to reveal her fate. I think with how late she got out of the hospital, there was no way to film a dress rehearsal, so there was nothing to judge.

• Love 6

And I remember several comments when Redfoo and Jessie J were on with people talking about how unintelligent they sounded and how people wished they had done some research so they could make somewhat intelligent comments. It seemed like Alfonso took his experience from on the show and probably did some research to know some things to look for, instead of just giving trite comments like "That was really fun" or "You guys look good together" or "I just wasn't feeling it, dawg." He was asked to guest judge, which meant giving his opinion. It doesn't mean he thought he was an expert.

And, no, he can't back to an "apartment under the DWTS stage" because he has a show to host. 

I didn't mind the other guest judges because they stayed in their lane and talked about what they knew. Alfonso could've been constructive without trying to bring up technical points. It's like if I trained in ice skating for my whole life and then some guy who's been doing only a few months tried telling me what I should be doing. It just seems condescending.

I know he's hosting AFV, but "going back to living under the stage" is a saying for when someone just can't seem to stay away from something. Almost in the same sense of when you graduate high school and you keep popping up on campus years after. I'm just tired of constantly seeing him pop up every single season since he's won and mugging all the time when the camera pans to him.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 3

I didn't mind the other guest judges because they stayed in their lane and talked about what they knew. Alfonso could've been constructive without trying to bring up technical points. It's like if I trained in ice skating for my whole life and then some guy who's been doing only a few months tried telling me what I should be doing. It just seems condescending.

I know he's hosting AFV, but "going back to living under the stage" is a saying for when someone just can't seem to stay away from something. Almost in the same sense of when you graduate high school and you keep popping up on campus years after. I'm just tired of constantly seeing him pop up every single season since he's won and mugging all the time when the camera pans to him.

You might not have minded them, but other people did. And your analogy doesn't really work because Alfonso wasn't critiquing the pros who have studied for years and years, he was critiquing the celebrities who haven't been training their whole lives. He was giving his opinion, trying to help them out, and they can always take or leave what he has to say.

I've never heard that particular saying before. "Every single season" you're making it sound like it's been years and years since he won. I think this is only the second season since he won.

• Love 8

You might not have minded them, but other people did. And your analogy doesn't really work because Alfonso wasn't critiquing the pros who have studied for years and years, he was critiquing the celebrities who haven't been training their whole lives. He was giving his opinion, trying to help them out, and they can always take or leave what he has to say.

I've never heard that particular saying before. "Every single season" you're making it sound like it's been years and years since he won. I think this is only the second season since he won.

It's hard to miss someone when they never go away. That's the basis of it. I don't have enough fingers for the DWTS related things he's done since he won only a year ago and that's a bit overkill. The tour, the anniversary show, the guest judge, the dance with Sadie last season, going on GMA to talk about DWTS, etc. I know there's more i just can't seem to remember each time.

I thought Sabrina was the queen of unable to let DWTS go, but the crown was snatched when Alfonso began making DWTS his entire life basically. I mean good that it got him a career boost, but like it's time to move on.

Edited by PBGamer89

I think that is the sticking point. Had Kim made it to LA and been able to do camera blocking or dress rehearsal, that would be allowed but they can't create a special situation where they film her separately in Atlanta. 

I'm thinking of stars who do a lot of travelling during their season, for instance Meryl & Charlie who were travelling doing multiple shows just about every week. Or even Andy who was travelling for his concerts. If a special situation is allowed for Kim to facetime her performance, then why not for Andy or other stars to relieve them of the pressure of travelling back and forth? I think TPTB have to draw the line somewhere.

• Love 2

I liked Alfonso as a judge. He said a lot of things that people on this board have been saying - he basically called out Alexa for not being committed to her partnership wtih Mark until now and also for Tamar to let Val take the lead since he is the pro. I liked that he pointed out technical things - it shows that he actually learned some technique from the show! Plus, it's a lot more constructive than throwaway comments from some of the past guest judges. As far as I can remember, I think he only referred to his being on the show once (about the difficulty of doing quickstep the third week). He's one of the most likeable contestants and winners that we've had in recent years and is also hosting Dance Wars on ABC, of course ABC would want to milk him for all he's worth. I think his career has had a jumpstart since DWTS and it's good that he's still loyal to it (the same way that he was willing to do the Carlton dance). Frankly, if the choice is between Abby Lee Miller or Alfonso, I'll take Alfonso 10 times over...

As for the dances, I enjoyed Nick and Sharna, Alek and Lindsay, and Alexa and Mark. Bindi and Derek did well with only two days for a quickstep. Sort of wish they had a bit more variety in terms of theme songs. It seemed like they were either extremely old or very current with nothing in between. Would've been nice to have something from the 80s and 90s.

• Love 12

Interesting that they still did an in jeopardy even with no one going home and I have to say, I was amused by Andy's stunned and baffled expression at being in jeopardy. Dude clearly thinks he's a better dancer than he actually is.

I would have been surprised if I were Andy, especially when you're dancing better than Paula or Gary. To see Gary safe was ridiculous to me. I appreciate that he's throwing himself into rehearsals, but I see more stomping around than truly dancing and connecting with his partner. It's like Michael the race car driver - no real skill but people keep him around because they like him. I hate seeing better dancers (ones with potential) go home before those who really can't dance and aren't going to get much better than they already display.

I'm of two minds regarding Tamar - I can appreciate her being sick of every week the story being presented to her as "guy behaves horribly to his girl, the girl forgives him and they dance" or whatever other macho scenario. Is there a rule that they must mimic the show's characters exactly? Perhaps Val could have given in a bit this week and turned the dance routine on its ear, really subverted expectations and gone with the more unusual, like having Tamar be the boss and Val be the more submissive, overtaken role. That might have been really unusual to see, and perhaps Tamar would have shown more facial expression and would have been able to get more into the role. (She really didn't seem on the same page tonight - I liked the look of the overall dance but her face seemed to tell a whole other story.)

On the other hand, Tamar needs to get it into her head that just because they dance a specific routine, that doesn't mean she IS that person. It's a character, it's a story, it's just a dance. She's not giving up everything she is, all her ideals, just because she imitates a Man Men secretary for one week.

• Love 2