Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E05: TV Night

• Start Topic

While I hate to defend the judges, I think the yelling is more something they all do because it's so hard to hear anything live in the ballroom.  The celebs/pros in particular I think have a lot of issues with this.  It's why celebs wind up missing music cues and why often during eliminations Tom/Erin will have to repeat something 3x in order for the celeb/pro to even understand if they are safe or not.  Even at the judges table you often see a celeb/pro have to ask the judges to repeat something because they really just can't hear, especially over the screaming (or booing) crowd.  So it's probably fine when you are in-house.  It just comes across as too much on television.

Also by all behind the scenes accounts, Alek actually has a thing for Emma.   I think he might have admitted it on All Access too, so people are trying to get those two paired up for switch up week.

Edited by spanana

I just looked at the ratings and they were adjusted down three-tenths from the preliminary ratings. I don't remember them ever being even close to this low in the 18-49 demographic:

1.6 with a share of 5  (11 million total viewers).

Big Bang 3.8/13/15.2m – Voice 3.4/10/12.1m – DWTS 1.6/5/11.0m – Gotham 1.6/5/4.7m – Penn&Teller 0.4/1/1.3m

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/09/29/monday-final-ratings-the-big-bang-theory-the-voice-adjusted-up-castle-life-in-pieces-dancing-with-the-stars-adjusted-down/473832/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

Edited by Morrigan

Also by all behind the scenes accounts, Alek actually has a thing for Emma.   I think he might have admitted it on All Access too, so people are trying to get those two paired up for switch up week.

Mark did a Periscope after the show last night from the make-up trailer and Alek and Emma were there with no sign of Lindsay or Hayes.

• Love 1

Interesting. According to Sharna's blogpost on Hollywood Life, the Downton song wasn't approved until late Thursday night. So she and Nick lost two days of rehearsal, starting on Friday. Yet that wasn't played up for drama or sympathy like others.... Good for them just dealing with what they were given without complaint. http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/09/29/dwts-sharna-burgess-downton-abbey-nick-carter-blog-dancing-with-the-stars/

• Love 4

Does it bother anyone else that Hayes has done every dance in sneakers?

It seems to be an issue if the ladies don't dance in heels, but it seems to be ignored with the guys, so I was just wondering.

Not nearly as much as it bothered me when Zendaya did.

Interesting. According to Sharna's blogpost on Hollywood Life, the Downton song wasn't approved until late Thursday night. So she and Nick lost two days of rehearsal, starting on Friday. Yet that wasn't played up for drama or sympathy like others.... Good for them just dealing with what they were given without complaint.

That's really weird to me. Derek and Bindi's song didn't get cleared right away but they worked on a routine anyway. They used the time. So why wouldn't Sharna have been coming up with a routine for her and Nick all week, even if their song hadn't been cleared yet?

I have no idea and definitely don't know as much behind-the-scenes stuff as many others here to understand any of the logistics with this stuff. But I could see pros and cons either way. If it clears and you have not done anything, then you have a short time to learn the dance. But if you risk it and go the other route like Bindi and Derek, you might end up having to learn two dances (which didn't work so well for anyone last week).

Wasn't that because she'd have been taller than Val was?

What I don't understand about the Jetsons song not being cleared until Wednesday night is that ... doesn't that mean they only lost a day, ie: Wsnesday? They had a performance show on Tuesday, so presumably Bindi was still working on Derek's not-waltz on Tuesday. I get that every second counts, but really? What could sh have learned in the time she had to practice on Wednesday, especially because as a minor she's got limited time in rehearsals anyway. Seems like Sharna and Nick would have been more at a disadvantage if they could out Thursday night/Friday morning that their song hadn't cleared.

That said, a day later and the only dances that stuck with me were Tony and Jenna (I have a soft spot for Jeannie and I like pro dances), Paula (because it was an awful samba but it was a damn entertaining routine (and I agree with whoever said it would have been a great jazz, if only a little too on the nose)), and Nick (because his dance was the only one that made we want to see more).

• Love 1

That's really weird to me. Derek and Bindi's song didn't get cleared right away but they worked on a routine anyway. They used the time. So why wouldn't Sharna have been coming up with a routine for her and Nick all week, even if their song hadn't been cleared yet?

I thought Bindi and Derek's dance style changed when their song did?

As for Nick and Sharna, the same thing happened with their Cha Cha song in Week 1. So, they were probably working on general technique and steps, but didn't know how the song would be edited and what not.

I actually wonder if less rehearsal time is actually advantageous for some of them. Less time to over think about the routine.

Edited by CED9

Hayes & Emma
Hayes came out with energy and attacked the dance.  It was fun to watch him enjoy and work through the routine during the video package.  Hayes had an opportunity to develop spatial feel during the quickstep routine (week 2), so I was hoping that the pair would step off the stage and use the floor to showcase the energetic and carefree side of the dance (and Hayes) a bit more.  Thought there should have been more clean, crisp flicks and kicks in the routine, with toes pointed downwards (he needs to imagine a cast around his ankle, preventing foot movement from the desired angle).  Despite the scores in week 3, they are still a fun couple to watch.  Emma will still have the unique challenge of reconciling the dance, choreography, costume and staging, given how young the male celebrity is and the diverse demographics that he presents.  It will be interesting to see how Emma copes with this as the weeks progress.

Alek & Lindsay
Nice low, compressed posture when in hold throughout the routine; very careful and controlled choreography and movement as well.  I thought there were slight moments when they weren't insync during hold, causing their bodies to wobble, along with misteps that broke both their frame.  But as expected, if his past ballroom dances are any indication, Alek still maintained a consistent frame throughout the routine.  It's still going to be interesting to see how he copes with a latin dance.  His hips are a question mark, and I'm not convinced that he can yet exude a sensual feeling with his arm/hand movements.  Since this couple is about to slowly reach the halfway mark of the season, I'm hoping Lindsay can move a bit away from the safe and competent performances she's created thus far, and bring a slightly edgier feel to it should the music warrant it.  I think the next two weeks will be important for the couple to make a case with the audience about their place in the final, should they want to progress deep in the dance competition. 

Alexa & Mark
As much as I'm intrigued about this couple, I honestly thought their jazz routine was overscored, and that some of the judges should have reined in the 9's and brought in some 8's.  I also thought Alfonso's comments may have been a bit premature and a lapse in judgment on his part.  While I do think that Alexa is a versatile dancer thus far, it's still week 3, and she doesn't quite have a handful of ballroom/latin dances under her belt yet.  There are still plenty of competent dancers who can rise and change the course of the competition.  The judges should continue to provide effective comments and critiques that would chisel and mold Alexa while it's still early in the season.  Mark still needs time to hone Alexa's technique as well.  Since the competition is very fluid, I think this couple should still hit the pavement as anything can still happen.

Nick & Sharna
And then this happened.  It's nice to see someone breaking out of their shell and connecting to the music, as this was the best dance of the night.  Nick needs to lengthen through his neck and back for better posture, and to keep his shoulders down when doing the turns, but its refershing to see a different side of Nick relative to the previous weeks.  Like a seasoned music writer and composer, it was also nice to see Sharna pausing in hold with Nick at the opening number, in order to collect the performance before commencing with the waltz.   Hopefully Sharna can show different sides to Nick through the weeks, and to continue harnessing the studio energy and guide it's movement, direction and dispersal, in harmony with the music through her elegant hands and fingertips.  Think this is a good start for this couple.

Best of luck to all the couples and looking forward to their routines.

• Love 2

I thought Bindi and Derek's dance style changed when their song did?

That's what I mean. It seems Bindi and Derek would have been at more of a disadvantage because not only did their song not clear but their dance style got changed so everything they'd rehearsed was for nothing. Meanwhile, if Sharna knew her potential song and dance style, and that never changed, wouldn't they have been using that time to rehearse all along? Why would they have waited? Why weren't they using that time all week to practice? That's why I think it just seems weird, like why complain about it now? They still had more of an advantage than Bindi and Derek because they knew what they were going to be doing and they didn't have to change it at the last minute.

I mean, I get it if people feel like Derek's getting some sort of overly positive edit, but at the same time, what Sharna's saying doesn't make any sense to me.

• Love 1

I'm guessing that with the song clearance, they tell the couples their assigned song and dance style assuming that the song rights will be cleared, and most of the time it does. When it doesn't, they would then get another song that fits in the same style of dance. In Derek and Bindi's case, both song and dance changed. Since she's a minor and can't work as many hours in a day, that probably had a bigger impact than for another couple. Just a guess, but it seems Derek likes to choreograph specifically to a song for the production values whereas other pros might start out with basic steps for a dance style first, which could be used for any song.

Edited by Victura

Which to me just proves the double standard of this show sometimes and that female celebs are often held to higher standards than the males.  I believe Zendaya didn't wear heels maybe about 3 times.  For a dance off jive, salsa and I think quickstep.  She pretty much did every other ballroom dance in heels and the girl is over 5'10", so part of it was probably about aesthetics (quickstep) with Val.  Hayes, and other males on this show, can wear sneakers for the whole season and get a pass.

In a weird way, the capable celebs almost wind up doing better when they have last minute music changes and shorter rehearsal time.  I think it almost focuses them in a way because the know they really have to zero in quickly.  I don't think it's good for a Paula or Gary, but a Bindi or a Nick will be just fine.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 5

Of all the wonderful tv themes that might lend themselves to dancing, this is what we got stuck with?  The Golden Girls--what a horrible fit for Carlos and Witney and that awful hokey costuming.  Ninja Turtles?  Gilligan's Island?  Although I did love seeing the incredible Dawn Welles in the audience.  I enjoyed Mark's concept and choreography for Breaking Bad, and Sharna and Nick did a nice job with Downton.  I wish we could have seen the Jetson's dance. Tamar is a lovely lady and a very good dancer, but I am not seeing any chemistry with Val and that might be a big problem for them.

Tom and Erin still seem off their game to me and this season so far is kind of lacking in polish and excitement.  The awful music is sure not helping!

That's what I mean. It seems Bindi and Derek would have been at more of a disadvantage because not only did their song not clear but their dance style got changed so everything they'd rehearsed was for nothing. Meanwhile, if Sharna knew her potential song and dance style, and that never changed, wouldn't they have been using that time to rehearse all along? Why would they have waited? Why weren't they using that time all week to practice? That's why I think it just seems weird, like why complain about it now? They still had more of an advantage than Bindi and Derek because they knew what they were going to be doing and they didn't have to change it at the last minute.

I mean, I get it if people feel like Derek's getting some sort of overly positive edit, but at the same time, what Sharna's saying doesn't make any sense to me.

It could depend on how Nick learns. In the package last week Nick and Sharna were singing the song while going through the routine, so maybe he relates the choreography to the song. Like "on this lyric, I have to do this step" this beat I have to do this with my arms" etc.

I'm willing to bet the weight of Kim's silicone in gold that both she and Tony absolutely knew that she was eliminated long before airtime.  

I highly doubt TPTB allowed work to continue on the choreography, costuming and set design for next week's dance (which I'm guessing has to be well underway by Monday night) only to spring the elimination on Tony on-air.

Likewise, if Kim really suffered a stroke (her first) there's no way her doctor would clear her to continue performing (even if she could do it in Atlanta).  She has to undergo an extensive cardiac work-up (most likely including wearing a halter monitor for several days if not weeks) to rule out atrial fibrillation.  She is most likely on anti-coagulant medication that requires close monitoring in the early stages.  She's probably having to undergo repeat Brain MRIs to monitor for any changes.  And she might have to be seen by other specialties such as rheumatology to try to figure out what caused her body to throw a clot in the first place.

As I suggested upthread, I think TPTB were giving her a way to go out with grace.  Of course, as we learned from Seinfeld so many years ago, "you either have grace, or you do not have grace."

• Love 1

Hayes, and other males on this show, can wear sneakers for the whole season and get a pass.

Maybe now, but it didn't used to be. They tore Master P apart for his blatant refusal to wear dance shoes (well, and for his blatant disrespect for his partner and for ballroom dancer in general, but it started with the shoes).

It's a shame they don't care about that stuff anymore.

• Love 4

I have mixed feelings on Alfonso as a judge. On the one hand, I think he gave useful and valid comments to all of the couples. On the other hand, he sounded a little like a DWTS parrot, saying things that he might have heard the judges say previously to the couple.

There was one moment, though, that bothered me. I am an Alexa and Mark supporter, so I will admit my bias...Alfonso's comment to Alexa to focus on Mark & not Carlos was valid, but the timing and the way he said it made it seem as if Alexa had done something wrong in the performance and was scolding her, when I think he actually thought they were a great team this week and loved their dance.

And really, other than the first show, what has Alexa done since then to make it seem like she is not focused on her own partnership? After their Week 2 salsa, Julianne said "there is no denying the connection this week" (which completely contradicts her saying that the jazz the first time they acted as a team) and for their rumba, Alexa expressed how she really wanted to do well because she knew how much it meant to Mark.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 2

It seems like a lot of the couples got screwed with song clearance this week. Apparently Mark and Alexa were supposed to do a Flintstones theme charleston. I would assume that given Flintstones is Hanna-Barbera like the Jetsons, that they got switched around the same time asBindi and Derek. The fact they did so well with the new style probably speaks to the different approaches to choreo - Mark said on Afterbuzz that he keeps a notebook with all his ideas. Given he's a huge Breaking Bad fan he's probably been kicking the concept around for a while. Derek choreographs on the fly, so with less time he wasn't able to produce something that was as fully formed.

• Love 1

Remember the wonderful opening numbers of seasons ago when the pros danced in pairs to beautifully choreographed waltzes , paso dobles, fox trots etc!! For new viewers check out the pro dance to Taylor Swift's " Romeo and Juliet". ( which wasn't an opening number but it was so good!)

FIRE Mandy Moore!!!! Louis choreographed alot of the old pro numbers, let him do it!!!

And Carrie Ann mentions a lift in Val's tango ( which I don't think happened but if it did, it was accidental) but doesn't mention the blatant breaks in hold in the middle of the quicksteps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Allison did it and Derek's was ridiculous!!!!!!

Come on man!

• Love 7

Because he doesn't project the masculine confidence of a super rich heir that Matthew did. Which is odd, because chances are that he's every bit as well off.

Nick historically has had confidence issues - he comes from a dysfunctional family, which we discussed on his thread in more detail.

It seems like a lot of the couples got screwed with song clearance this week.

Which begs the question - if they new it was TV week, why not start the clearance process earlier or give the pros a choice from a group of pre-cleared ones. On the other hand, I really can't imagine why Hanna-Barbera wouldn't want their themes used (unless they just wanted too much money).

I haven't actually seen the dances yet (have to watch on YouTube), but I heard the show. And I'm not completely conversant on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles either. But...

Regarding the comments about Hayes dancing in sneakers last night, for more than the first week in a row, I get that he should've danced in "proper" dance shoes the other weeks (at least if the "character" he was playing in the dance's scenario would've worn them), but if he was fully costumed as 1 of the TMNTs, then I think he should've been wearing sneakers--& probably black Converse High-Tops, at that. If I remember the pics I've seen of the TMNTs correctly, they're drawn as wearing black high-tops, probably Converse. So, to my mind, the sneakers were probably appropriate last night. After I see the dance, I'll come back & reverse my opinion if need be.

• Love 1

I have mixed feelings on Alfonso as a judge. On the one hand, I think he gave useful and valid comments to all of the couples. On the other hand, he sounded a little like a DWTS parrot, saying things that he might have heard the judges say previously to the couple.

There was one moment, though, that bothered me. I am an Alexa and Mark supporter, so I will admit my bias...Alfonso's comment to Alexa to focus on Mark & not Carlos was valid, but the timing and the way he said it made it seem as if Alexa had done something wrong in the performance and was scolding her, when I think he actually thought they were a great team this week and loved their dance.

And really, other than the first show, what has Alexa done since then to make it seem like she is not focused on her own partnership? After their Week 2 salsa, Julianne said "there is no denying the connection this week" (which completely contradicts her saying that the jazz the first time they acted as a team) and for their rumba, Alexa expressed how she really wanted to do well because she knew how much it meant to Mark.

I think what you see here is that they are somewhat hooked to their scripts and repeat things ad nauseum that might not even reflect what is happening. Or they don't know what else to say that isn't tied to technique etc. and since they don't want to bore the viewers they fall back on things they already said (Julianne here). Various couples throughout the years have had breakout! dances! Like, five a season, if you want to believe the judges. They just assume the viewers have no attention span. Though I will say that IMO Mark has been choreographing these last three dances in interesting ways to accomodate Alexa: The salsa was sexy, but in an OTT theatrical way, so they could just have fun with it without going super sultry. The rumba had the tribute theme, so they could focus on the emotion of that. And the jazz portrayed father-son dysfunction. I thought they were connected in all three, and I think Mark taking off the pressure of having to do things where the main focus is sex/romance helped. IMO it's good that he steered it slightly away from that, at least at the start of the season.

I also thought it was strange that they didn't comment on the weird disconnect between Tamar and Val in the tango. This week it was for the first time really noticeable and bothered me. And yeah, apparently there were a lot of clearance issues for various couples. But they couldn't make it the focus of every package since that would make the producers look bad (they look bad all the time anyway...). So Bindi got the sympathetic edit for whatever reason. And originally Carlos and Witney were supposed to do Salsa to the Golden Girls song. Eeek. It was still a difficult assignment, but I'm glad they were at least allowed to change to a somewhat more appropriate dance style.

• Love 3

I finally got all the dances from Monday watched. Since Hayes was wearing a full-on turtle bodysuit & the TMNT scarf around his eyes, I still think he should've worn the sneakers, since that's a legitimate part of the TMNT "outfit", just as he did. To be fair, Emma didn't exactly have "proper" dance shoes on either. She was in very high boots with her costume.

And originally Carlos and Witney were supposed to do Salsa to the Golden Girls song. Eeek. It was still a difficult assignment, but I'm glad they were at least allowed to change to a somewhat more appropriate dance style.

I loved Carlos and Witney's Golden Girls jazz. I thought it was SO CUTE and it made me smile the whole time. The theme song is also a great tune, IMO.

• Love 1

I loved Carlos and Witney's Golden Girls jazz. I thought it was SO CUTE and it made me smile the whole time. The theme song is also a great tune, IMO.

I thought it was great as well. Witney has some very good choreography. It would have been a better foxtrot, but they made the best of the dance they were given.

• Love 2
They tore Master P apart for his blatant refusal to wear dance shoes (well, and for his blatant disrespect for his partner and for ballroom dancer in general, but it started with the shoes).

Yes, but that was in the era of scoring atrocious dances at a 3 or 4, too. Ah, the good old days...

• Love 3

I used to think that Val could have chemistry with a post, but Tamar has proven me wrong. We refer to her as "Shark Eyes" at our house. As much as I love Val, I won't mind when she goes.

Alan (sp?) from the troupe has really reached an all-new level of trying to pull focus this season. Someone rein him in, please.

Tamar.  Oh good god.  Reel in the cliche attitude.  You are not cute nor cool.  You are just a repeat of so many before you.  The sexist rant is so old and so boring.  Yeah, it exists but let's just dance and have a good time. Leave the broken record to your own show.  Not working here.  Have fun!  

• Love 1

Maybe now, but it didn't used to be. They tore Master P apart for his blatant refusal to wear dance shoes (well, and for his blatant disrespect for his partner and for ballroom dancer in general, but it started with the shoes).

It's a shame they don't care about that stuff anymore.

I think he threw the dance shoes at his partner Ashly, didn't he?

• Love 1

And her complete inability to look Val in the face as if he's an actual human being with whom she is dancing is just effing bizarre.  

To be honest, this doesn't make sense to me.  When you dance Ballroom Tango you look over the shoulder of your partner, you're not supposed to look at him in the face, that would be a break in proper dance position.  Other types of dances such as Argentine Tango encourages facial interaction, or even the cute Charleston they did last week had lots of room for partner facial interaction and they did it very successfully. 

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

We can agree to disagree.  I think Tamar has the best ballroom dance position of the competition,  I don't always get Val's need for various forms of undress, but it is what it is.  

• Love 2

We can agree to disagree.  I think Tamar has the best ballroom dance position of the competition,  I don't always get Val's need for various forms of undress, but it is what it is.  

I'm not sure I've seen much critique of Tamar's technique or ballroom positioning though.  It seems to be a fairly universal opinion that she's one of the better dancers, technique wise, in this competition.  I don't think the criticism of her in the tango and the way she looks at Val has anything to do with her head positioning.  It has to do with her facial expression, which was for a good part of the dance, blank.  It made it look like she wasn't engaged at all with Val, even when what the rest of her body was doing was pretty decent.  She didn't need to be looking at him squarely in the face to show that she's engaged.  Plus it's a problem that also came up in her cha cha when she was supposed to be looking at Val squarely in the face.

What is interesting is I think she may be doing rumba this week, however if it's dedicated to her kid then it may not be super sensual.  So we'll see if she can get past that this week.

• Love 3

Sure but blank expression from the woman and a more arrogant expression from the male is what is required in Ballroom Tango. The idea that women displayed sensuality was removed when Tangos of South America were re-worked for the audiences of Paris and London in the 1920's.  Women had to be proper, not the prostitutes of the barrios of Argentina, and with that came the modest face with no expression.  She is doing Ballroom Tango correctly.  Another dancer who excelled at Ballroom Tango was Kristi Yamaguchi. Expressionless but great technique.

I think it's unfortunate that the note from the Cha Cha is dogging her on a dance that demands she be expressionless, until of course either the beginning or the ending where the character is developed and they are not dancing tango.    

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 2

I'm not sure I've seen much critique of Tamar's technique or ballroom positioning though.  It seems to be a fairly universal opinion that she's one of the better dancers, technique wise, in this competition.  I don't think the criticism of her in the tango and the way she looks at Val has anything to do with her head positioning.  It has to do with her facial expression, which was for a good part of the dance, blank.  

I rewatched and I think her "blank" expression was purposeful. It seemed like that was her attempt at being in character (a mixture of aloof and elusive).

• Love 2

I rewatched and I think her "blank" expression was purposeful. It seemed like that was her attempt at being in character (a mixture of aloof and elusive).

Sadly, for me, I think it came off less "aloof and elusive" and more expressionless robot. I appreciated her dance moves and technique, but her face seemed really odd to me. "Aloof" has an emotional undercurrent. Hers seemed lacking any undercurrent at all. It was very strange and kept throwing me off from fully enjoying the dance (which I did like otherwise).

• Love 4

Sadly, for me, I think it came off less "aloof and elusive" and more expressionless robot. I appreciated her dance moves and technique, but her face seemed really odd to me. "Aloof" has an emotional undercurrent. Hers seemed lacking any undercurrent at all. It was very strange and kept throwing me off from fully enjoying the dance (which I did like otherwise).

Agreed. As I said after the episode, it wasn't even just blank face for me so much as her eyes seemed dead. I got nothing and everytime the camera panned to her face it honestly just distracted me and took me out of the dance. 

• Love 3

Tamar didn't seem present. It wasn't 'I'm going to pretend to ignore you'. It was more 'my body is here but my mind has astro projected somewhere else'. I do think it probably was meant to be the former though and Val will catch it on rewatch.

• Love 3

Agreed. As I said after the episode, it wasn't even just blank face for me so much as her eyes seemed dead. I got nothing and everytime the camera panned to her face it honestly just distracted me and took me out of the dance. 

Dead eyes?  That isn't how I experienced her dance at all. Nor is it any comment from the judges that I recall.   I think her eyes are full of expression, if anything she may have tried to play it down and work at what the importance of remaining stoic in frame.     

Edited by Andie1

I just looked at the ratings and they were adjusted down three-tenths from the preliminary ratings. I don't remember them ever being even close to this low in the 18-49 demographic:

1.6 with a share of 5  (11 million total viewers).

Big Bang 3.8/13/15.2m – Voice 3.4/10/12.1m – DWTS 1.6/5/11.0m – Gotham 1.6/5/4.7m – Penn&Teller 0.4/1/1.3m

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/09/29/monday-final-ratings-the-big-bang-theory-the-voice-adjusted-up-castle-life-in-pieces-dancing-with-the-stars-adjusted-down/473832/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

Yeah, I don't watch the show in it's entirety,  I flip around until one or two that I like are on and then the show gets the bums rush in favor of better tv.   

• Love 1

Dead eyes?  That isn't how I experienced her dance at all. Nor is it any comment from the judges that I recall.   I think her eyes are full of expression, if anything she may have tried to play it down and work at what the importance of remaining stoic in frame.     

Just because the judges don't comment on something doesn't mean that viewers can't disagree with their comments.  People disagree with the judges all the time.  I think Tamar was probably trying to do what you said.  But I agree with the previous posters.  Blank and aloof are not the same thing.  Aloof and elusive don't equal expressionless and I also agree with previous posters that it was almost more the dead eyes that made it seem a little weird.  However if Val watches it back he will probabaly catch it and try to work with her on it for future dances.  To me as I was watching it felt like Tamar's body was doing one thing (in a good way) and her face was on another planet, and it unfortunately pulled me out of the dance because I was staring at her face the whole time.  Doesn't mean her dance was bad though.  She's still in the upper tier of dancers.  Just like everyone else, she has things to work on.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 6

Well that was your interpretation and I had a different one. That's the beauty of varying opinions.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

I watched it again and it seems like her expression is "frozen." I think what baffled me so much about it was that even when the judges have said in previous weeks that she's not connecting with Val, I at least saw some expression on her face, even if it wasn't directed to her partner. She was doing something. But if she was going for aloof or elusive with this one, it didn't reach me because what I saw was "frozen." Not frozen as in scared, but frozen as in, her face wasn't moving at all, her eyes were locked, she almost didn't even seem to be blinking. It was just the strangest thing. And I think I was so thrown by it, I kept waiting for her face to move, to do something, narrow her eyes, move a little even as an undercurrent, but it just wasn't happening. As Kim said in the recap/review, it was this strange glazed look, like you expect her to be an expressionless doll or a marionette or something. I was stunned when the judges didn't comment on it. STUNNED.

• Love 1

Yeah I totally disagree with anything that looked remotely dead or robotic, her movement was very strong. I think some people have a problem with Tamar and are using a perception that she's got dead eyes or whatever to reinforce their negative opinion of her. That's too bad, I rather enjoy good dancing, I really don't care about how her persona is perceived.

• Love 1

I don't disagree - her movement IS strong. And on other dances her facial expression has been terrific. I was talking about her facial expression on just this one dance.  :)  (Which is why I found it so strange, because I'd never seen her do that before. It threw me off.)

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2