Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: A Kick-Ass Risky Business Party

Stinger97
  • Start Topic

I was a little taken aback at how much the kid who plays Adam has grown, but, hey, that happens. The "Lainey's dad is out of town" story was too OTT - they wrecked his Porsche for starters, and then just went on plotting a party like that terrible thing hadn't happened. It was just too much to be even a little realistic.

• Love 2

Bev's smothering (read neediness) is exhausting to watch, can't imagine what it was like being the real kids growing up like that.  Agree that the party would have never happened after the Porsche incident.  I'm kind of losing interest in this show in general, the only part I look forward to is the video of the real family at the end.

• Love 1

Bev's smothering (read neediness) is exhausting to watch, can't imagine what it was like being the real kids growing up like that.  Agree that the party would have never happened after the Porsche incident.  I'm kind of losing interest in this show in general, the only part I look forward to is the video of the real family at the end.

The video at the end of him singing "Toy Soldiers" was the BEST!

Kind of sad to see so few comments here on the first show of the season.  I still have a soft spot for it -- probably always will since I went to high school in the 80s and lived, for 8 years growing up, in one of the Philadelphia suburbs.  

The party happening after the Porsche incident was exactly the plot of "Risky Business," wasn't it?  That's why I thought for sure that it would happen....or at least they'd do everything humanly possible to try to make it happen.

What was Bev on a mission for?  Was it her "Demanding for Excellence"?  I'm going to have to remember that phrase and pull it out sometime soon! 

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this episode.  I liked that there was a little appreciation for Bev, even though she does get on my nerves quite a bit (but in a good way).  I thought it was funny the things she was able to accomplish for her kids. 

• Love 1

Sean Giambrone's summer growth and voice deepening is definitely a bit jarring, but it's happened on many a show before, and I'm sure we'll settle in. Can't believe he's 16 now, I think he's generally playing a little younger in the show, or as much as can be expected with the timeline issues.

Adam Goldberg really recorded EVERYTHING, didn't he? 

• Love 6

Wasn't Erica supposed to be going off to college?

I think she was in 11th grade last season, so I'm pretty sure she and Lainey are seniors this year. 

As others have already mentioned, Sean's growth spurt over the break was a little jarring, although not as bad as Brick Heck's from The Middle. When that kid entered puberty, the character went from cute to creepy. So, at least in that sense, I think the show will be fine. I do have to wonder, though, how the show will handle the kids getting older. There's going to come a point where it won't make much sense that the show is still set in the 80s if the kids look like they're in their 20s. 

I enjoy the show and the memories of the '80s it stirs, but the girls' hair is just too distracting. Lainey had it pretty good last year, but now it's styled like Erica's, which is not '80s at all.

Yes, I know not every girl had a curly perm with huge hair-sprayed bangs, but many many many did, just look at any high school yearbook from that period. I expect a show about the '80s - that is filled with references and stereotypes about that decade - to have its teenage girls looking decade appropriate. They are popular fashion-conscious girls, so I assume their hair would be in the latest style. It's just way too smooth and shiny, and looks like hair that any girl these days would have.

• Love 3

I enjoy the show and the memories of the '80s it stirs, but the girls' hair is just too distracting. Lainey had it pretty good last year, but now it's styled like Erica's, which is not '80s at all.

Yes, I know not every girl had a curly perm with huge hair-sprayed bangs, but many many many did, just look at any high school yearbook from that period. I expect a show about the '80s - that is filled with references and stereotypes about that decade - to have its teenage girls looking decade appropriate. They are popular fashion-conscious girls, so I assume their hair would be in the latest style. It's just way too smooth and shiny, and looks like hair that any girl these days would have.

I was born in 1970 and that was what my hair looked like until maybe 85. 80-82 had pretty flat hair, although often with had Farrah bangs. Look at Mallory's hair in the first few seasons of Family Ties, or eve Ariels hair in Footloose(1984), which was right around the time hair was starting to get bigger. It looks a lot like the girls on this show . It was around the time of Madonns's ascent that big hair really got popular. Everyone wanted to look like her.  

And some of us had flat hair and just could not do the big hair thing. I managed it in the mid-late 80's but it was tough. I have the perfect hair for this era, but the wrong hair for the late 80's  

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 4

Decent season opener -- not bad, but not great either. Will Erica ever graduate high school? She's been 17 for three years!

Having characters be perpetually 17 is par for the course on any show. For a show that has little use for timeline continuity like The Goldbergs, 3 years is but a tick of the clock.

And I know it was taken from real life, but you know the show is hitting the bottom of the 80's pop culture well when they are using Martika's "Toy Soldiers". I fear that this season is going to be filled with music from Stacy Q, Pretty Poison and The Jets.

Edited by reggiejax

Early 80s hair had a lot of feathered or curly mullets going on. The big permed hair was mid to late 80s. I don't think either girl has ever had true 80s hair. The show is pretty fluid with its 80s references. They are kind of all over the map. Still love it though. 

And I know it was taken from real life, but you know the show is hitting the bottom of the 80's pop culture well when they are using Martika's "Toy Soldiers". I fear that this season is going to be filled with music from Stacy Q, Pretty Poison and The Jets.

Don't you be hating on Stacey Q. I would pay to hear "Two of Hearts" on this damn show!

But seriously, I think it's more fun to get some more obscure songs featured, rather than the typical fare you get whenever something is set in the 80s. Like, how many more times can I hear "Don't Stop Believin'" before I tear my own hair out? The same with "Come On Eileen." Give me some Taylor Dayne or Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam and I'll be happy. 

• Love 11

I had the misfortune of seeing The Jets and Stacy Q at the same concert.

Don't you be hating on Stacey Q. I would pay to hear "Two of Hearts" on this damn show!

But seriously, I think it's more fun to get some more obscure songs featured, rather than the typical fare you get whenever something is set in the 80s. Like, how many more times can I hear "Don't Stop Believin'" before I tear my own hair out? The same with "Come On Eileen." Give me some Taylor Dayne or Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam and I'll be happy.

I am not too embarrassed to admit I still listen to those obscure 80's songs. Love "I Wonder If I take You Home" by Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam!

• Love 7

Yeah, both of the girls' hair is way too modern looking. They need big bangs! I graduated from High School in '91 and practically every girl in my school had big bangs, even with straight hair.

Erica's slicked back ponytail with no bangs at all was the worst tonight. NO ONE, wore their hair like that!

• Love 2

I had the misfortune of seeing The Jets and Stacy Q at the same concert.

Misfortune? Try best luck ever!

It's not the hair that bother's me, but some of the things they say, that were not things we said in the 80s. (Of course I can't think of anything specific right now, but it happens)

• Love 4

Early 80s hair had a lot of feathered or curly mullets going on. The big permed hair was mid to late 80s. I don't think either girl has ever had true 80s hair. The show is pretty fluid with its 80s references. They are kind of all over the map. Still love it though. 

Enjoyed this episode more than I did The Middle last night. Aging myself here, but I was finishing HS and in college in the early 80's.  Most of us had straight hair with either the Fawsett flip or more a sausage roll around the face.  I got married and had my two children in the late 80's early 90's and then it was perms and big hair and big bangs.  Loved how the high school principal caters to Beverly although I could have done without the guidance counselor's long distance relationship shtick.   

I lived in a very small town when Halley's Comet made an appearance in 1986. Our sky was very dark due to no real outside lighting. I could barely find the dang thing! It did not move across the sky. That bugged me, but otherwise I was very happy to see Big Tasty in fine form. His music videos are always craptastic.

• Love 1

Still love this show. I groaned at "Toy Soldiers" (not a fave 80s song for me), but the actual tape at the end made it clear why they used it. CanNOT believe that was based on fact. Beverly is annoying as hell, but it was nice to see Lainey appreciate the aggressive smothering. Until it went too far.

Big Tasty's lyrics + Lil' Yum Yum's (was that it?) green-screen graphics = WIN.

• Love 1

Sean here, the kids on Blue Bloods, the older son on black-ish...I wonder if they had a bet to see whose voice would crack first.

It wasn't bad though I wasn't never a Risky Business fan.  But Big Tasty and the small Tim Meadows moment was worth it.

And add me to those who liked Toy Soldiers! 

Enjoyed this episode more than I did The Middle last night. Aging myself here, but I was finishing HS and in college in the early 80's.  Most of us had straight hair with either the Fawsett flip or more a sausage roll around the face.  I got married and had my two children in the late 80's early 90's and then it was perms and big hair and big bangs.  Loved how the high school principal caters to Beverly although I could have done without the guidance counselor's long distance relationship shtick.   

I have the feeling we're about the same age :)  HS early 80's…college mid 80s.  The hair styles are hilarious from that time. Yes, the flip and sausage roll…but you had the long in back, shorter in front thing going on. That's what I meant by feathered/curly mullet. Or the girls that got perms and their hair was curly in back, but feathered in front.  Beverly's hair isn't true 80s either, but her clothes are priceless. 

Edited by jackjill89

I watched both seasons and this episode this weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed them all.  I graduated HS in 1982 and college in 1986, so it's been a serious nostalgia trip.  

Everybody involved has done an excellent job with nailing down the tone and vibe of the times, even when taking a few liberties with actual events.  And I'm totally ok with it. I think I cried during almost half the episodes....*LOL*

I will say my single favorite moment was hearing the little known Dire Straits song "Romeo & Juliet" during season 2 "Cowboy Country".  

• Love 1

Yes, the flip and sausage roll…but you had the long in back, shorter in front thing going on. That's what I meant by feathered/curly mullet. Or the girls that got perms and their hair was curly in back, but feathered in front.  Beverly's hair isn't true 80s either, but her clothes are priceless.

Can you think of a specific example of what you mean by feather/curly mullet from a 80's TV show or something?  I am blanking on what you mean.  I remember a style like this one from the early 90's. https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFDfR1qY6qUBpLPqBzwOt7b1oGu-PcyB6HJbcAUvH5yDtHRJHm I had this for awhile around 93-94.  Beverly's hair is sort of a combination of 80's and 90's meshed together.  Still love this show-accurate hair or not.  I do love me some Pops and Adam though.  I hope there's more of them together this season.

The amount of detail in this show always gets me. Even the super small things like the "Preformed by...Big Tasty (and Li'l Yum Yum)" credits at the end of their video.

So happy this show is back.

• Love 3

Bev's smothering (read neediness) is exhausting to watch

Actually it's awesome and hilarious to watch!

I do think they need to pace it so it's not every episode, but in my opinion they actually HAVE done that. Using last season as an example I think we only got overt "Smother" plots a handful of episodes.

Can you think of a specific example of what you mean by feather/curly mullet from a 80's TV show or something?  I am blanking on what you mean.  I remember a style like this one from the early 90's. https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFDfR1qY6qUBpLPqBzwOt7b1oGu-PcyB6HJbcAUvH5yDtHRJHm I had this for awhile around 93-94.  Beverly's hair is sort of a combination of 80's and 90's meshed together.  Still love this show-accurate hair or not.  I do love me some Pops and Adam though.  I hope there's more of them together this season.

Markie Post is a great example of the mullet. Combine Markie's mullet with Farrah's feathers or the sausage roll curls on the shorter part of front. The Jean Smart photo had the mullet part, imagine the front not being permed but being parted in the middle and feathered/curled back. I wish I could take a photo of my yearbook, but I want to protect the guilty.

Don't get me wrong, I love this show, even if the hair isn't perfect or the references are all over the place. It makes me smile week after week. I remember first watching the show and being SO annoyed by Barry and now I just love him…and Pops and Adam? Just great.

Edited by jackjill89
  • Love 1

I'm curious as to how long they'll keep the Dana relationship going. It seems inevitable that it will eventually break off (even if just due to actor commitments)

It depends on WHY Dana is in the status she is. What story the show is trying to tell. Since it's a sitcom, it's entirely possible they have her come back. Her status may have little to do with the actress' availability, so the only reason she'd BECOME unavailable is if she actively goes looking for another role. 

It depends on WHY Dana is in the status she is. What story the show is trying to tell. Since it's a sitcom, it's entirely possible they have her come back. Her status may have little to do with the actress' availability, so the only reason she'd BECOME unavailable is if she actively goes looking for another role.

The actress is now a regular on Gotham.