Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Magog said:

Speaking of losers, the halftime show from the last Super Bowl (Justin Timberlake) pretty much sucked. The upcoming Super Bowl halftime show (53 in Atlanta) is definitely going to suck because Maroon 5 will be doing the halftime show.

They don't want to scare the mostly old white guy fan base with any more Beyonce 'black power' performances. (sarcasm on the Beyonce part) 

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

In fact, the only Atlanta act I would have been interested in seeing is Outkast. 

Are they still together anymore? They would have been blockbuster. Not like there isn't a wealth of musical talent in Atlanta though. I feel like there's a reason they didn't book an Atlanta based act, I just can't put my finger on it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I love Maroon 5!  

Yeah, I know there's a lot of backlash because some folks think the artist should be from Atlanta but I don't care about that.  In fact, the only Atlanta act I would have been interested in seeing is Outkast. 

I like Maroon 5 too and will be interested to see the halftime show.

I get why people are annoyed because they are vanilla and inoffensive and not from Atlanta, but I feel like it’s still going to be a fun show.

Someone mentioned that Ludacris is from Atlanta and I would have been excited for that for sure.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

OutKast and Ludicrous are not going to be Super Bowl halftime acts.    Oh my no.   Hey Bobby Brown maybe?   Isn't he from Atlanta?

He's originally from Boston, but he moved there.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

OutKast and Ludicrous are not going to be Super Bowl halftime acts.    Oh my no.   Hey Bobby Brown maybe?   Isn't he from Atlanta?

I would love a Bobby Brown halftime show. I know he has issues, but he's got great songs and used to be a hell of a performer. 

Regarding Beyonce, call me whatever, but I'm just not on the love train. Same songs, same tired dance routines, same ratty wig. You've seen one performance, you've seen them all. 

I don't understand why they don't get a classic rock or metal band, considering a lot of those songs are used for hype music during the games. Plus, they're used to playing massive stadiums so they don't have as many sound and technical issues as the pop acts. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I like Maroon 5 too and will be interested to see the halftime show.

I get why people are annoyed because they are vanilla and inoffensive and not from Atlanta, but I feel like it’s still going to be a fun show.

Someone mentioned that Ludacris is from Atlanta and I would have been excited for that for sure.

I don’t dislike Maroon 5, but I’m not excited about them headlining the halftime show.

Then again, I wasn’t excited before Lady Gaga’s halftime show, and I loved it. 

1 minute ago, Silver Raven said:

They ought to have Childish Gambino, since he stars in the series "Atlanta", though that will never happen.

My son says that Cardi B is featured on a Maroon 5 record. Could she pop in for a song? That seems to be all the rage now at halftime shows. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, topanga said:

My son says that Cardi B is featured on a Maroon 5 record. Could she pop in for a song? That seems to be all the rage now at halftime shows. 

They would need more than a seven second delay. Especially once she started shaking her rear end.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Isnt Usher from Atlanta? I believe Sugarland and Zak Brown Band are at least from Georgia 

I just think Maroon 5 is a lazy choice. Its just more of the same. Why not Hip Hop or country or just something different.

He is yes, and Luke Bryan is also from Georgia. 

I understand there's no unwritten law that says they have to go with local talent, but between rap, R&B and country, there's a boatload of options. I can see why people from the area are kind of pissed.

• Love 1

Nothing personal to Cleveland, but I’m having fun with the anticipation of whether or not the coolers are going to open.

You can’t please everyone, and I know I would absolutely not be down with any country act during halftime.  Especially Sugarland because Jennifer Nettles just rubs me the wrong way.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Nothing personal to Cleveland, but I’m having fun with the anticipation of whether or not the coolers are going to open.

You can’t please everyone, and I know I would absolutely not be down with any country act during halftime.  Especially Sugarland because Jennifer Nettles just rubs me the wrong way.

Believe me, everyone in Cleveland is waiting for those coolers to open, despite the fact that most of us wouldn't drink a Bud Light even if it was free.

• Love 4

I am glad that the Browns won tonight. Baker looked really good. He has great energy and is very entertaining to watch. I hope they have success this year. It would be nice for them and their fans. 

• Love 12

I’m feeling like the 7th game of the 2016 NBA Championship!!

Tears of joy, shouts of ecstasy!!!!!

ETA:  We have a better record than the Squealers- icing on the temporary cake!

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 9

Good for Baker and Cleveland, but it’s going to take me a while to forget about what a big douchebag he was in Oklahoma. Guessing all that hype about Darnold lasted one game, but I’m still rooting for him to have a decent season. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Maroon 5 is going to put me to sleep but to be honesty nothing is going to compare to Prince.

Nothing ever will, but that's no excuse to try some fresh ideas instead of Marooooon 5. 

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

Nothing ever will, but that's no excuse to try some fresh ideas instead of Marooooon 5. 

Personally I don’t like Prince’s music and I enjoy Maroon 5.  I’d like to see Imagine Dragons, tho.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, BitterApple said:

On a completely shallow, unrelated-to-football note, Reggie Bush looks really cute.

He is fiiiinnne! 

Heh, I have to laugh because I will always believe that Kim Kardashian regarded him as "the one that got away."  When they were dating I said "Run, Reggie, run!  The Kardashians will ruin you!"  I was so glad he listened to me.  

• Love 12

I think that we have had some interesting and entertaining games so far today. The Saints/Falcons is a nice competitive game.  I am also glad that the Panthers won. Cam did a nice job. Also, Patrick Mahomes continues to do an excellent job for the Chiefs. He is a very impressive young QB..  Josh Allen also played well today in the most surprising game of the week so far. I don't think very many people predicted the Bills to dominate the Vikings today but they did. They did a really good job of stifling the Vikings offense. 

The Colts also ended up doing something surprising by letting Jacoby Brissett throw the Hail Mary at the end of the game against the Eagles. It looks like they weren't trusting Andrew Luck to try and make that throw.

And the Texans and Raiders are in trouble, with their 0-3 starts. I had some reservations when Jon Gruden was announced as HC for the Raiders and was given that really big contract. Also, I hope that Jimmy Garappolo injury isn't very serious, though he looked sad when he was being carted away. 

Edited by Jx223

According to reports the 49ers fear that Jimmy Garappolo has torn his ACL and his MCL. They will know more about his condition tomorrow once he gets an MRI on his knee.

I hate to hear this type of news, especially so early in the season. I wish Jimmy a healthy recovery.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

According to reports the 49ers fear that Jimmy Garappolo has torn his ACL and his MCL. They will know more about his condition tomorrow once he gets an MRI on his knee.

I hate to hear this type of news, especially so early in the season. I wish Jimmy a healthy recovery.

Damn, the Rams are going to have that division wrapped up by Halloween.

• Love 1

The penalty on Clay Matthews was total bullshit, especially given the lack of a flag on the play on the previous drive when they flung Aaron Rodgers to the ground.  If the play by Clay is a penalty, NFL, then sure as shit the hit on Rodgers was one.  Oh well, the Packers are awful anyway.  They can't protect Rodgers, can't catch the ball when it's right in their hands, can't run the ball, can't cover, can't tackle, etc.  Trying to think of something positive . . . I believe they won the coin toss.  I actually flipped over to CBS and watch the Vikes stink up their joint.  It made me feel a tiny bit better, but not much.   

What a gut punch for the 49ers.  Perhaps for Jimmy, it's better it happened in September, so he has a chance to be back at the beginning of next season.  I always feel bad for the guys who suffer a major injury in December.  

The NFL has got to stop with the bullshit roughing the passer calls.   When even QBs are saying "yeah no, it's not roughing" It's NOT ROUGHING.

Man, nobody wants the NFC East this year.   Good news, the Cowboys still have a chance.   But we have GOT to get a center.   And stop with the stupid ass penalties.    Elliott going out of bounds was the WORST kind of mistake -- totally on the player not paying attention.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

The NFL has got to stop with the bullshit roughing the passer calls.   When even QBs are saying "yeah no, it's not roughing" It's NOT ROUGHING.

My favorite thing was how last week it was absolutely not about the new rule but about some scoop rule which they were going to put in an NFL training video---until they didn't.  Tet this week, almost act same hit, new rule was cited.

The NFL is just---they finally "fix" the catch rule only to focus on their roughing the passer rule which is confusing coaches, defense players and QBs.

WTF Minnesota?  Today has been a weird day for 1/2 the NFL.  And Detroit is dominating the Pats right now.  Both the Squealers & the Patriots have got some internal shit going on that’s distracting from field play.

• Love 1

What's all this controversy about the halftime performer not being local? That's... not ever been a thing before, right? I just checked the past 4 SBs and it's just not. Yet I've heard 4-5 different sports talk programs bringing it up and it's been discussed here. I'm so lost.

Strange games today!

Did anyone predict the Bills blowing out the Vikings?

Or Clay Matthews getting a roughing the passer penalty?

Or Sam Bradford getting replaced by another quarterback?

Or Jacoby Brissett subbing in for Andrew Luck for a hail Mary pass? (Which then, hilariously, was overthrown.)

Alright. Maybe a few of those were predictable.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, basiltherat said:

NFL rules:  If Clay Matthews does it, its a penalty; if Cam Newton is clocked, its not.

Ha!  There were a few Packer fans who thought in the early years of Rodgers' career as a starter that the NFL had a rule it was OK to hit Aaron in the head, because there were so many calls not made that always seemed to be made when it was another QB.    

Yea... I'll never get my wish of having a DCI caliber drum corp being the half time show so I''m predetermined to not like whoever they choose. Outkast would have been bad ass but I'm ok with Maroon 5. I don't change the station when their songs come on so I'll give them that. 

The calls so far this season are really odd. I was watching the Panthers game with one of my children having a tantrum in the background so I couldn't hear but I couldn't really tell why Cam got the Unsportsman like Conduct penalty. I didn't see anything particularly jarring. 

Edited by Mountainair
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The NFL has got to stop with the bullshit roughing the passer calls. 

The NFL needs to give the refs the authority to call the game and get out of the way. The rules are just so much over written.

1 hour ago, ae2 said:

What's all this controversy about the halftime performer not being local?

Being in Atlanta, and the demonstrable wealth of musical talent from there and outskirts, it's a fair criticism why the most milquetoast act was selected. And, really, for me, the halftime show is stupid, because that's when we all go to the bathroom, but it seems like an easy win to have local talent.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Pretty sure before it became such a big deal, the halftime show was local talent.    Atlanta does have a very vibrant music scene.   It would be like having the Super Bowl in Detroit and NOT having a Motown show.   

Super Bowl XL was in Detroit, and the halftime show was The Rolling Stones.