Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I still, to this day, and it’s not (only) because I've never liked him, do not understand why everyone thinks Tony Romo is the best color guy on the planet.

He is so annoying.  He’s like if a little kid was given a mic and told to have at it.  And that is so not what I am looking for in football announcing.

There is a big difference between being fun and also having a personality and being a giant obnoxious goober.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, twoods said:

This GB/Vikings game is ridiculous, but you know the Packers will win in OT with all the favorable calls they have had this game. I saw Tyrod get pummeled with a helmet to helmet and no call (poor Browns), but you can’t even breathe on Rodgers.

There were two pretty ridiculous calls on Clay Matthews (protecting Cousins) as well so these refs were just ridiculous all around.  I think fans of both teams are going to be left frustrated.  Usually at least one team has the benefit of a win to not hate on the refs but neither team is so lucky today.

• Love 3

The officiating in the Vikings/Packers game was really lousy, and both sides are complaining.   The officials didn't seem to know what pass interference is.  And the explanation of the roughing the passer call on Matthews was ridiculous.  The official said that Matthews picked up Cousins and drove him into the ground.  As Matthews arrived, Cousins left his feet slightly with the effort to heave the ball deep down the field.  Matthews brought him down as the league wants - no head hit, but through the body, and was rolling away from Cousins as they were both going down.  There was no lifting the QB and driving him into the ground.  What will be aggravating is if the league announces tomorrow or the next day, oops!  our bad, that shouldn't have been called.  But they are getting such shit for missing calls, they will probably fine Clay a game check to cover their asses.

They called a roughing the QB on a hit on Rodgers earlier in the game that was not roughing either, IMO.  And this is a Packers fan saying this.  The Vikes jumped offsides, and the officials should have blown the play dead, saying it was unabated to the QB, which it was.  I think they called roughing because they knew they screwed up.

The hit on Cam Newton - that was roughing the QB, officials.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Popples said:

Seeing as the Steelers' defense is suspect as hell, if Fitzpatrick balls out again next week, does Winston automatically get the starting job back?

I hope not.   His raping thieving self needs to head on out of the League.   Plus they werent winning with him that much.

• Love 3

I think Winston's days in the League are numbered. You'd think after the incidents he had in college he would've gotten his shit together, but he's still screwing up. His stats and talent level aren't so otherworldly that a team is going to put up with it forever.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

The league has changed the rules on catches and tackling so frequently that I don't think anyone knows what is and is not a foul in any situation anymore.

Or that nearly everything is being reviewed from 57 different angles. Get rid of replay. Pay the refs and let them call the game. They'll do just fine.

• Love 1

Jesus, it's good that I made great strides last season in my quest to care about the Rams now that they're here in L.A. (the Chargers, no way, so long as Philip Rivers is behind center), because between the Trojans and the Giants, it is going to be a long fucking season and I need something to give me hope.

That was brutal.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

The hit on Cam Newton - that was roughing the QB, officials.  

That was blatant targeting.

I get that Cam is larger than most QBs, but he constantly gets targeted or roughed up. I don’t like Cam, but I think enough is enough.  Teams should start being fined for not coming down hard enough on their players for these helmet shots.

• Love 10

The Browns signed a new kicker (hallelujah) - Greg Joseph, who was just cut from Miami.  Apparently he had a spotless pre-season record, but he’s never played an official game yet.

Gordon might have a hard time fitting into the Patriots scheme.  

• Love 3

As a Pats fan, I hate the Josh Gordon signing. Should’ve either ponied up for Amendola or NOT traded Cooks to the Rams. We’re going to cut Gordon within a month and be out a fifth-round pick (though I guess if he isn’t active for 10 games we get like a seventh-rounder back). Ugh. If we were going to push the DESPERATE PANIC button couldn’t we at least have tried Dez Bryant first?

• Love 4

And the Vikes are cutting their kicker (and man am I getting old, because when they showed the closeup of him after he missed the 35-yard attempt saying, "FUCK!" all I could think was he looked like he was about 15) and signing Bailey.

Did I call it?  Yes, the NFL said the calls in the Minn@GB game were correct.  What a surprise, covering their asses.   They did throw the guy out who targeted Newton, which shocked me.  There have been several hits in recent years that I thought warranted ejection (see the hit on GB's Adams by the Bears last year) that they have failed to do so.  If they are so damned concerned about player safety, they should get these jerks out of the game, if only for their own safety.  If someone sees their franchise QB hit like that, thoughts of retaliation are going to be in the air.  It will become like baseball, where your star player gets plunked, so your pitcher deliberately hits their star player.  

Wow, Janikowski for Seattle has been in the league almost 20 years - even before 9/11.  I knew it had been a long time, but not that long.

And he can still kick 50+ field goals.  And lately these young kickers can’t even get an extra point.

• Love 3
On 9/16/2018 at 9:50 PM, ganesh said:

Or that nearly everything is being reviewed from 57 different angles. Get rid of replay. Pay the refs and let them call the game. They'll do just fine.

They can't look at the roughing the passer penalties.  Those stand, even if they're called wrong.  The NFL could go back to only airing the games on radio and then we'd have to take them at their word.

• Love 2

Seattle, when people told you to build your team around Wilson, they didn't mean have him BE the entire team.   They meant give him some help.   He clearly is not doing well behind that Oline.   Late in the 4th, the pocket was collapsing and he swung his arm wide to throw the ball.   Predictably it was stripped.   My husband was all, WHY did he move his arm like that?   

As for Gordon to Pats, of course the Pats signed him.   They have a history of taking troubled players and getting a year out of him.   You notice Gordon's "injured" hamstring is just fine to play on Sunday?    As I told one friend, maybe this was all a long game to get out of Cleveland.   It just took longer than it took Manziel.

• Love 4

I doubt this was a long game to get out of Cleveland. 

He has been with the team since 2012.  He basically would have just given up the  best years of his career to try and get away from there.  I don't know for sure but he would have had to sign a second contract in there sometime, he could have just not signed again with them.  Or he could have just pulled a Marshawn Lynch and retired/unretired to force a move

This is a player with genuine problems that can't stay on the field.  Pats as always looking to take a chance.  Good look.  I don't think even they can turn him around. 

I cannot imagine Gordon is going to last in NE.  Hue is a nice guy who seems willing to be patient and try to help a player out.  Bill is . . . not.  Regardless, Gordon repaid the Browns’ patience and understanding by screwing them over royally. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, ganesh said:

It's the overall mentality of calling the game. This is a symptom. 

I think it's the other way around.

TV made questioning calls possible.  Questioning calls led to instant replay. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

I wonder who sticks with their team longer:  Josh with the Patriots or Jordan Matthews with the Iggles?

I would guess Jordan since, if I remember correctly, Carson was pretty bummed out when he was traded.

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Why doesn't he make the same offer to Cleveland?

I suppose if he were able to find any team desperate enough to sign him, then he would prefer a team with a chance to make the post season. Who knows what goes through these older/retired players' minds. 

https://start.att.net/news/read/category/sports/article/thescore-chad_johnson_willing_to_sign_with_eagles_for_free-rthescore

I can't decide whether to take this seriously or not. Either way, it provided a well needed laugh after this past week's games. 

Why doesn't he make the same offer to Cleveland?

I suppose if he were able to find any team desperate enough to sign him, then he would prefer a team with a chance to make the post season. Who knows what goes through these older/retired players' minds. 

I'll take a guess that Chad Johnson is bored to tears, has too much time on his hands, & he needs to bring attention to himself again. There is a better chance of the Eagles signing Dez Bryant than that loser Chad Johnson. 

Speaking of losers, the halftime show from the last Super Bowl (Justin Timberlake) pretty much sucked. The upcoming Super Bowl halftime show (53 in Atlanta) is definitely going to suck because Maroon 5 will be doing the halftime show. Its bad enough that those clowns have overstayed their welcome & they just won't go away. Now, they're going to make me do some major eye rolling like I did during Timberlake's performance. 

• Love 1

I love Maroon 5!  

Yeah, I know there's a lot of backlash because some folks think the artist should be from Atlanta but I don't care about that.  In fact, the only Atlanta act I would have been interested in seeing is Outkast. 

• Love 6