Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, ganesh said:

"Oh let me check out the game while I get ready for work tomorrow. Huh 20-3, wow, Pack isn't doing well, I hope Rodgers is ok." 

20-17. Whoa. 

Yeah, the Packers have been doing much better since Aaron came back in the 2nd half.

What a comeback by the Packers! (Not that I like them, I just dislike the Bears).

Edited by roamyn

2:47 left and you throw on 3rd and 1? Even if you don't get it, the 3 points are guaranteed and you run it down to 2 minutes. It's always amazing to me how coaches over think so much. 

AND I DON'T BELIEVE IT. 

That's why you run on 3rd and 1. 

• Love 1

I thought that the Bears/Packers ended up being a good game. I am glad that Aaron Rodgers wasn't seriously injured and was able to come back. He was very impressive as usual. Khalil Mack played very well, especially in the first half. He is a very nice addition to the Bears. I had wanted the Bears to win, but Aaron Rodgers ended up being too much for them and Mitchell Trubisky got nervous in the 2nd half, especially towards the end of the game. Hopefully, he will continue to grow and show improvement as a QB. I saw some growth in him tonight. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

First week of the season and Aaron Rodgers is already crushing dreams.

And earning his recent extension.  The way he went out made me really think he had torn his ACL.  (Though he has played with one before).

I am just frustrated with myself that I switched channels after I had watched some things on Netflix using my roku. I  could have rewound to watch the end of the game.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

And yet also, the Browniest thing ever.

A tie after forcing 5 turnovers IS the most Browniest thing ever.

So Bills, how's that trade of Tyrod Taylor working out?

Damn, Bears almooooost did it.   But they figured out how Khalil Mack and were able to find a spare leg for Rodgers somewhere (count the legs of rookies, make sure it comes out to an even number).

Has the Titans-Dolphins game finished yet?

• Love 5
On 9/8/2018 at 6:51 PM, AimingforYoko said:

And in the corniest news not to come out of the state of Iowa:

Kirk Cousins files for a trademark on the phrase, "You Vike That!"

If this guy is half as effective a QB as he is a cornball, that elusive SB title is ours!

And he was!

I took my nephew to night training camp and since is birthday is coming up, told him he could pick out a Vikings shirt and it would be his birthday present. And he could wear it before his birthday. He chose #22 Harrison Smith jersey and wore it yesterday. And guess who made the game-winning interception?? Vikings were ahead anyway, but that Smith interception at the end of the game killed it for San Francisco.

9 hours ago, BitterApple said:

First week of the season and Aaron Rodgers is already crushing dreams.

His dreams will be crushed next Sunday.

• Love 1

Pass rush. Pass Rush. PASS RUSH. Cris Collinsworth is going to have me grinding my teeth down to the gums by mid season if he cannot learn to pronounce pass rush. Gah! 

Two obvious offensive holds for the Packers right in front of Rodgers shown during replays in the fourth, but somehow the refs couldn't see them. (insert eyeroll) 

Can Carrie Underwood take a season or twelve off from performing the theme song to SNF? Pretty please. 

• Love 2

Wasn’t it the same during the Sanchez years? Talks about Sanchize after he started out decently, then it all fizzled away. Darnold is a much better QB, and even though I don’t like the Jets as an USC fan I want him to do well. 

Don’t get me started on the amount of holding the Packers Oline get away with every single season. Why else would he have years to throw the ball? They make me so mad. And are we going to have to stomach continual shots of Danica during their games? No, thanks.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, yourpointis said:

Can Carrie Underwood take a season or twelve off from performing the theme song to SNF? Pretty please

I second that emotion.     She's a fine singer.   But she cannot do a "fire them up" sports anthem to save her life.   She just does not have the OOMPH to carry it off.    That young lady they had singing during half-times last night was MUCH better.    

• Love 6
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I second that emotion.     She's a fine singer.   But she cannot do a "fire them up" sports anthem to save her life.   She just does not have the OOMPH to carry it off.    That young lady they had singing during half-times last night was MUCH better.    

Did you see her carpool karaoke with James Corden? She has no personality whatsoever. It's weird because I think Carrie is gorgeous and a good singer and I'm a huge fan of her music, but she doesn't really have any "it factor" as a performer. 

• Love 2

I can’t (bwahahahaha actually I’m not this naive) believe that after ONE GAME the narrative is now “Sam Darnold is going to the Hall of Fame the Giants were so stoopid to take Barkley second!!!!!!1!!1!1111!!”

Really.  As Trey Wingo put it this morning, there isn’t a damn thing Barkley can do about it if Darnold tears up the league.  So all this 20/20 handwaving isn’t going to make a whit of difference.

I’m good with Saquon.  The Mara’s and Tisch’s are good with Saquon.  Let the kids play.

Also, it’s the Jets.  They’ll Sanchize this up sooner than later.

• Love 5
On 9/10/2018 at 8:22 PM, Crs97 said:

Quoting myself because I found the update.  Vindication 24 hours too late:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24638192/nfl-says-key-flag-pittsburgh-steelers-cleveland-browns-called-error

Too little, too late.  Unless they can reverse the 1st Connor TD.  (sarcasm)

42 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Whether for good or ill, no conclusions can be made after Week 1 of the season. 

I think we can definitely say the Bills suck badly.

Edited by roamyn
On 9/11/2018 at 6:38 AM, merylinkid said:

Tori Kelly an American Idol contestant that was eliminated during the Hollywood rounds when she was 16. 

I thought during SNF they were going to stop the game in the first half and have Kahlil Mack's HOF induction right then and there.  In the second half, same thing for Aaron Rodgers.  All the raves for Rodgers overlooked how the Bears handed that game to the Packers.  As a Packers fan, I loved it.  If I was a Bears fan, I'd be sick over the play calling.  Two plays really stand out - after the Packers scored their first TD, it was 20-10, the crowd is really getting into it, and the Bears go 3 and out by attempting a pass rather than run it on 3rd and 1.  A few plays later, Adams is in the end zone, it's 20-17 and the crowd is going crazy.  Then the Bears do what they should, have a long time-consuming drive, and then on 3rd and 2, they decide not to run the ball and keep the clock running, but instead throw an incomplete pass.  It turned out the Packers didn't need the extra time, but it was just awful play calling.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

I thought during SNF they were going to stop the game in the first half and have Kahlil Mack's HOF induction right then and there.  In the second half, same thing for Aaron Rodgers.  All the raves for Rodgers overlooked how the Bears handed that game to the Packers.  As a Packers fan, I loved it.  If I was a Bears fan, I'd be sick over the play calling.  Two plays really stand out - after the Packers scored their first TD, it was 20-10, the crowd is really getting into it, and the Bears go 3 and out by attempting a pass rather than run it on 3rd and 1.  A few plays later, Adams is in the end zone, it's 20-17 and the crowd is going crazy.  Then the Bears do what they should, have a long time-consuming drive, and then on 3rd and 2, they decide not to run the ball and keep the clock running, but instead throw an incomplete pass.  It turned out the Packers didn't need the extra time, but it was just awful play calling.  

The bad decision in my opinion was not stilling going for it on 4th and 2.  Its a FG to tie even if you miss and give the ball back  A TD to win either way, hit the FG or not.  Aaron Rodgers is not getting the ball back to drive for a FG. 

Go for it on 4th down and if you get it, you pretty well put the game away.  You run more time off or you score a TD still on the drive. 

You could see the Bears were going to lose that game as soon as they kicked that FG.  I had little doubt in my mind Rodgers would get a TD.  Not that quickly, but it was happening. 

Play to win in this league or go home. 

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, roamyn said:

Too little, too late.  Unless they can reverse the 1st Connor TD.  (sarcasm)

I think we can definitely say the Bills suck badly.

Yes, but HOW badly is still up in the air. 

Epically bad?  Or just, run of the mill, year to year bad season? 

• Love 1
On 9/11/2018 at 8:14 PM, mojoween said:

I can’t (bwahahahaha actually I’m not this naive) believe that after ONE GAME the narrative is now “Sam Darnold is going to the Hall of Fame the Giants were so stoopid to take Barkley second!!!!!!1!!1!1111!!”

Really.  As Trey Wingo put it this morning, there isn’t a damn thing Barkley can do about it if Darnold tears up the league.  So all this 20/20 handwaving isn’t going to make a whit of difference.

I’m good with Saquon.  The Mara’s and Tisch’s are good with Saquon.  Let the kids play.

Also, it’s the Jets.  They’ll Sanchize this up sooner than later.

Don't you know that Sam is the best ever? As someone said on twitter-"Did you see Sam with the four interceptions? The punt return? Kid was all over the field." He can do EVERYTHING! Yes, I'm being sarcastic (just in case it isn't clear to someone). 

• Love 2

Let's see Darnold go against some of the better defenses.  The Jets play Minnesota and Chicago in October, and they have Belichik's Patriots twice.  And let's face it, anyone would have looked good when compared to Stafford on Monday night. 

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The bad decision in my opinion was not stilling going for it on 4th and 2.  Its a FG to tie even if you miss and give the ball back  A TD to win either way, hit the FG or not.  Aaron Rodgers is not getting the ball back to drive for a FG. 

I think that's indicative of football in general. Most teams play not to lose. You don't go for it on every 4th down, but you do take calculated risks. I also don't think the game is nearly as complicated as it's made out to be, which makes coaches just over think. 

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think that's indicative of football in general. Most teams play not to lose. You don't go for it on every 4th down, but you do take calculated risks. I also don't think the game is nearly as complicated as it's made out to be, which makes coaches just over think. 

Unless you're Doug Pederson....

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

11 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Unless you're Doug Pederson....

Which is why the Eagles won.   They didn't go "OMG, we're against the Patriots in the Super Bowl.   We can't lose this thing."   They went "fuck it go for it."

Playing not to lose = losing*.   Sure you lose sometimes when you go for it.   But football favors the bold.   But coaches who lose get fired, so coaches get conservative.

*does not apply to the Browns.   They just lose no matter what.    They don't win either.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Which is why the Eagles won.   They didn't go "OMG, we're against the Patriots in the Super Bowl.   We can't lose this thing."   They went "fuck it go for it."

That and the Patriots couldn't get a defensive stop, but you can see the clear difference in the Jacksonville game versus the superbowl. 

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

But coaches who lose get fired, so coaches get conservative.

The corollary is that I don't think owners really want to win and don't want bold coaches just because there's a higher investment needed. They can go 8-8 each year and keep the fan base just invested enough. Maybe one year you get lucky and go 10-6 and get into the playoffs, or get in at 9-7. 

• Love 1

Romeo seems like a very nice human, but to me he was the epitome of a team being down by 5 and driving to score at the end of the game and then choosing to kick a field goal because it was 4th and 1.

As infuriating as it is, some teams will play down to their opponents level and play up to others. Just when you think (whatever your fave team is) they have this game in the bag, they'll end up playing like some type of junior varsity high school football team and you're tearing your hair out by game's end. 

• Love 6

I'm only listening to the game - not watching it - but I feel like the refs are really protecting Rodgers today. All the penalties against Vikings except for one, fortunately that one took away a touchdown.

• Love 1
On 9/8/2018 at 7:51 PM, AimingforYoko said:

And in the corniest news not to come out of the state of Iowa:

Kirk Cousins files for a trademark on the phrase, "You Vike That!"

If this guy is half as effective a QB as he is a cornball, that elusive SB title is ours!

Just catching up on this.  For some reason I never liked Kirk Cousins in DC and was glad when he left.  I thought the "You like that!" was excruciatingly corny, and now this is even cornier.  I'm glad he's in Minnesota.    

• Love 1

Patrick Mahones is unreal. Absolutely ridiculous what he is doing in KC.

This GB/Vikings game is ridiculous, but you know the Packers will win in OT with all the favorable calls they have had this game. I saw Tyrod get pummeled with a helmet to helmet and no call (poor Browns), but you can’t even breathe on Rodgers.

• Love 2

You know the Saints touchdown drive when the Browns sacked Brees at 3rd and long to force a punt, but the Saints got a first down for Browns’ illegal contact?  I assume by Tuesday we will get another acknowledgement from the NFL that the Browns were wrongfully penalized since the  receiver ran into the Browns defense.  Sigh.

I also assume the Browns kicker is hitching a ride home.

• Love 3

Thank goodness Vikings defense is still performing - kept GB from getting another field goal. Now our offense has to get the ball down far enough for an easy field goal or just run down the clock and get a touchdown.

I liked our kicker after seeing him at training camp but boy, he sure tanked today. He's a rookie so I think the pressure got to his nerves and his missing the goal was more a mind thing than a skill thing, I think. I guess it's good the game is a tie and not a loss. Better if we won.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1

Well, Kirk Cousins earned his money, at least for this game. Stupid kicker.

22 minutes ago, twoods said:

Patrick Mahomes is unreal. Absolutely ridiculous what he is doing in KC.

Andy Reid might not be able to read a clock, but he does have a good eye for talent.

• Love 4