Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

I see that Urban Meyer is off to a fine start

Someone mentioned this before but it's yet another example of how cronyism and nepotism (along with racism) is such a huge problem with the coaching ranks.  "I knew the guy for 20 years" shouldn't be the main reason why someone gets hired.

"He's a good guy" is really the only qualification someone needs to be a coach, scout or front office guy in the NFL. It's quite ridiculous how openly nepotistic the league is. Sons working for their dads, nephews working for their uncles, college buddies giving each other a break.

John Harbaugh is particularly bad for this, with a lot of his position coaching hires being guys he's worked with before, or who he feels he owes for some reason. Might explain the utter inability of the Ravens to develop any wide receivers. But the most recent WR coach Harbs hired because he was a buddy is now a head coach, because God told Jack Easterby that he's the guy, or something.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Dejana said:

Haven't his health problems coincided with his school becoming embroiled in controversy? 

Ma'am, you are not going to win a settlement for emotional distress. You're not even going to win the court of public opinion...

I, for one, am sick and tired of how cruelly and callously the world of professional sports treats the silversmiths of the world and it is about time someone puts their foot down and says “ENOUGH”.

But I’m also predisposed to not trust someone with bangs.

So I’m torn.

• LOL 14
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Yeah, she's going to be pilloried as an overly sensitive crybaby.  Being annoyed is fine but losing sleep?  Only if the trophy held your dad's ashes.

Although I thought it was a disrespectful thing to do, I wouldn't be distraught over it!  She needs to just let this one go.

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 4

If the family of Vince Lombardi said this I would be a tad more understanding.   I mean the trophy IS named after him and it is supposed to signify the Lombardi tradition of hard work, dedication and excellence.   You notice they said nothing.

The family of the trophy designer, nah.   For him it was just another job.    A really cool job that makes a great part of the portfolio, but that's it.   So the daughter getting all worked up over the toss (which was incredibly stupid IMHO) because her daddy's work got thrown around is ridiculous.  

As for Urban Meyer.   Not suprised.   He has a loooong history of problematic hires.   Zach Smith came with him to Ohio from Florida AFTER his abuse of his wife was known.   But Meyer liked him so he came along.   Until Meyer couldn't cover for him anymore.

Meyer does have a legit medical condition.   He has a brain aneurysm.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

NHL players have done far far worse with the Stanley Cup. And it's named after an actual *lord*. 

The original was literally Lord Stanley's cup. He purchased the first version to be awarded to the best hockey team in Canada. Back in the nineties the Penguins tried an "experiment" in Mario Lemieux's pool to see if it floats.

It does not.

There is no sports trophy that comes close to the history and tradition of the Cup. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

So, I'm really over these off-season moves by the Birds.

Apparently the Bears were willing to give us more than the Colts in this Wentz trade but Wentz "didn't want to go to the Bears."

Excuse me?

Why would the Eagles allow him to dictate where he ended up??  I swear, I would've made his ass ride the bench behind Hurts before I let him dictate where he was traded.  I hope the Colts don't win a game next season.

I dont believe the bears offer existed, at least to the extent stated.  I think they were using it to bolster the colts offer.  

As a colts fan I'm happy to get wentz.  I know he sucked last year but so did the eagles.  Good OL to keep him healthy, good run game, Reich calling the plays, I think he can be successful and stay healthy

• Love 1

According to what I heard this morning, the Bears were never a consideration.

That conditional pick seems like something that could be gamed by the Colts, no?

I know Frank Reich is allegedly the quarterback whisperer, but an old broken-down Phillip Rivers is a better QB than Carson Wentz IMO and how’d that work last year?  This notion Indy is now going to be a Super Bowl contender and Wentz will be MVP is ridiculous.  I know Carson was putting up good numbers before he got hurt, but a Carson Wentz or Josh Allen is ~never~ going to be MVP. (You can save this for @OldTakesExposed if you want, I don’t mind)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

According to what I heard this morning, the Bears were never a consideration.

That conditional pick seems like something that could be gamed by the Colts, no?

I know Frank Reich is allegedly the quarterback whisperer, but an old broken-down Phillip Rivers is a better QB than Carson Wentz IMO and how’d that work last year?  This notion Indy is now going to be a Super Bowl contender and Wentz will be MVP is ridiculous.  I know Carson was putting up good numbers before he got hurt, but a Carson Wentz or Josh Allen is ~never~ going to be MVP. (You can save this for @OldTakesExposed if you want, I don’t mind)

He doesn't have to be an mvp. It's not how they are building the team not can it be when there is no way they can obtain an mvp caliber franchise QB right now.  

He has to be be good and not make stupid mistakes, which rivers, as well as he played last year, did too many times last season.  

He had one bad season.  The three years before that were solid. No not mvp caliber but good. 

I'm not saying wentz will turn into drew brees but go look up brees numbers in san Diego before he left for new orleans. It's a similar move.  Similar age.  Coming off injury.  His team wants the slightly younger qb.  And the colts line can protect him so he doesn't get hurt. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Colts need to stop trying to find a QB for THIS year and look beyond the next 12 months.   Sure Rivers did well enough for them, but that doesn't mean taking another QB in free agency is a good idea.

It's not free agency it was a trade.  Wentz is the qb of the future for them.  

Good QBs don't just pop up everywhere teams spend decades finding them.  Luck, regardless of why or the reasons or how he did it, really fucked them over by retiring early out of nowhere.  They've found the best they could since then, which was only two and a half years ago

Edited by DrSpaceman73

I actually think Indy got the better deal. Hurts is basically a poor man's Lamar Jackson. I wish him the best, but the Eagles GM is a dumpster fire and they have no weapons for him to throw to. I think Wentz has a greater chance for success with the Colts than Hurts will with the Eagles. Time will tell. 

• Love 1

Wentz being back with Reich is probably his best chance of resurrecting his career, though I'm not convinced he's going to fulfil his early promise. While I feel fairly sure the Eagles will manage to sabotage Hurts in some fashion, as they do with all their QBs.

The NFC East is just a complete garbage fire and always will be, given the systemic dysfunction of three of the teams in that division. The Giants are the only one that seems to be run competently on a semi-regular basis.

I also don't think the Stafford/Goff trade will work out particularly well for anyone involved and both teams will be on the QB hunt within the next three years.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Wentz being back with Reich is probably his best chance of resurrecting his career, though I'm not convinced he's going to fulfil his early promise. While I feel fairly sure the Eagles will manage to sabotage Hurts in some fashion, as they do with all their QBs.

The NFC East is just a complete garbage fire and always will be, given the systemic dysfunction of three of the teams in that division. The Giants are the only one that seems to be run competently on a semi-regular basis.

I also don't think the Stafford/Goff trade will work out particularly well for anyone involved and both teams will be on the QB hunt within the next three years.

For Reich it's do or die for his career.  This is it.  If he can't make it work with Reich and this colts team he won't play as a starter in the league again.  Has no excuses. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

For Reich it's do or die for his career.  This is it.  If he can't make it work with Reich and this colts team he won't play as a starter in the league again.  Has no excuses. 

I meant wentz, not Reich.  Do or die for his career. 

I'm not going to bet on Carson Wentz to persevere with Indianapolis on February 22nd, but I am optimistic.  I think there isn't a more perfect situation for the Colts and for Wentz.  I'm not sure we'll see 2017 Carson, but OTOH I don't think Indy has to.  Given how great Philadelphia was in 2017, it probably is way too early to tell whether Indy will match that. 

They can only tie the Eagles from that year with a Super Bowl victory, so while that ain't happening (unless it does) they have a great chance at being Super Bowl contenders if not playoff contenders.  Wentz just has to stay healthy, and he can with a much better O-Line complete with a run game.  The defense is great; say what you will about Irsay but the reconnection with Reich is a big deal.  That's the team without factoring in the draft.

Indianapolis has a 2nd place schedule & they're in a division with Houston and Jacksonville.  Tennessee should still be okay, but it's possible for the Colts to win the AFC South.  They'll have to face Baltimore but then I think they get Las Vegas which evens things out.   The NFC might wreck their final AFC placement as they'll have the West.  Plus Tampa if everything adds up for a 2021 start of a 17-game season. 

Right now I'll say no to passing by Kansas City and Buffalo but I think Indy will be fine next year and improve over last year

• Love 1
15 hours ago, xaxat said:

LOL.   We are so used to free agents signing 5 minutes after they become free agents that this seems like forever.   Watt has OPTIONS.   let him take his time.   Although, I hope TEAMS wait for him.   Teams go for who is willing to sign RIGHT NOW from FOMO.   It's why they hire their head coaches so fast rather than waiting and evaluating ALL options out there.  Watt may find out that teams signed the second choice because the 2nd choice was willing to sign immediately.    

• Love 1
On 2/21/2021 at 8:56 PM, merylinkid said:

Mahomes is a daddy.  Sterling Mahomes.  Congrats.   

Looks like the two NFL State Farm spokespersons or spokespeople are headed toward the settled life.  Well, one is settled and the other is "settling down" Patrick Mahomes is a dad and if all goes well there might be a new Mrs. Rodgers with Shailene Woodley.

JJ Watt, who's settled, might be "settling down" soon enough, and maybe even Green Bay with Aaron!  That would be nice!  However, Watt is correct and that poster needs to relax.  The new league year is a couple weeks away & nothing's official before then anyway

3 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Emma: This is the kind of player that New England's Bill Belichick picks up.  Star, veteran, other side of his career, still a solid contributor.  
Only problem is that Bill no longer has that powerful recruiting tool:  We go to the Super Bowl.  Oh well. 

7 minutes ago, grommit2 said:

Emma: This is the kind of player that New England's Bill Belichick picks up.  Star, veteran, other side of his career, still a solid contributor.  
Only problem is that Bill no longer has that powerful recruiting tool:  We go to the Super Bowl.  Oh well. 

Nah, Bill Belichick would never pay broken down 2021 JJ Watt $15M/year. There's not one signing in his GM career that looks like the contract JJ Watt just signed: A top 10 position contract for a 50/50 at best proposition. The only one that comes close is signing 29 year old Darelle Revis for $12M, but he had more in the tank than JJ Watt seems to.

Belichick WOULD consider paying really, REALLY broken down JJ Watt $4-5M/year in a few years to see if he could get lucky on a relatively cheap contract*, but he's not spending $15M/year on hope.

*See Chad Ochocinco, Shaun Ellis, Albert Haynesworth, Chris Long, etc. as precedents

I love that it was JJ Watt himself who broke the news.   Also, wow.   The Cardinals were not on anyone's radar as a possibility.   Except obviously JJ's.   

Houston is a hot mess and will continue to be a hot mess as long as the former youth minister is the de facto GM.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Nah, Bill Belichick would never pay broken down 2021 JJ Watt $15M/year. There's not one signing in his GM career that looks like the contract JJ Watt just signed: A top 10 position contract for a 50/50 at best proposition. The only one that comes close is signing 29 year old Darelle Revis for $12M, but he had more in the tank than JJ Watt seems to.

Belichick WOULD consider paying really, REALLY broken down JJ Watt $4-5M/year in a few years to see if he could get lucky on a relatively cheap contract*, but he's not spending $15M/year on hope.

*See Chad Ochocinco, Shaun Ellis, Albert Haynesworth, Chris Long, etc. as precedents

Agree 100%.  Bill would only give Watt a few million at best., then add in incentives.
Too bad to see such a terrific player approach the end. 

(edited)

They keep playing a drop on ESPN of one of their football guys saying JJ was going to the fourth best team in the division and I’m not sure how accurate that is.

Seattle, sure.  But personally I don’t think that Matthew Stafford is going to vault LA to the Super Bowl.  And is San Francisco better than Arizona?  No.  So Arizona, to me, doesn’t seem as foolish as all the experts are trying to make it seem.

Also JJ’s story about using his brother’s high school friends Doug and Joe to order the shirt to prevent leaks was funny (and sad, because you know if the NFL shop.com order fulfiller saw an Arizona shirt ready to be sent to JJ Watt in Houston, the picture probably would have been online before the shirt was in its shipping bag).

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oh my god NFL just play ten extra minutes and at the end of the game the score is the score.

These cockamamie proposed rules changes to OT are ludicrous.

Also the outcome of OT is no longer determined by the coin toss.  If your dumbass defense gives up a TD on the first possession or your dumbass offense gives up a TO and then your dumbass defense gives up any score that’s on YOU, not the coin.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Oh my god NFL just play ten extra minutes and at the end of the game the score is the score.

These cockamamie proposed rules changes to OT are ludicrous.

Also the outcome of OT is no longer determined by the coin toss.  If your dumbass defense gives up a TD on the first possession or your dumbass offense gives up a TO and then your dumbass defense gives up any score that’s on YOU, not the coin.

Money dear Mojoween, money.    With sportsbetting coming to the individual states ties are bad for (gambling) business.   So they have to have some way to resolve it.   But they don't want the games going on forward -- might overrun other games (see above) so they need some way to cut them off with a clear winner.

• Useful 1
55 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Money dear Mojoween, money.    With sportsbetting coming to the individual states ties are bad for (gambling) business.   So they have to have some way to resolve it.   But they don't want the games going on forward -- might overrun other games (see above) so they need some way to cut them off with a clear winner.

I didn't think ties had much to do with gambling.  Don't they simply go by the spread?  If your team wins by one point but the spread is five, you still lose, no?