Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, mojoween said:

SportsCenter All Night wished Greg Gumbel a happy 75th birthday today and that can’t possibly be true.

Little brother Malcolm XBryant is 72. Funny I always thought Greg was younger.

• Love 2
(edited)

When I want to watch TNF, I turn on the TV, turn on the cable box, and type in 508 or 588.  Then watch the game.

I’m SUPER stoked in the future to turn on the TV, change to HDMI 2, turn on the PS4, choose our user name, wait for the main screen to load, arrow over to Store, wait for the store to load, arrow over to Prime, wait for it to load, choose the user name, and search for TNF.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

When I want to watch TNF, I turn on the TV, turn on the cable box, and type in 508 or 570.  Then watch the game.

I’m SUPER stoked in the future to turn on the TV, change to HDMI 2, turn on the PS4, choose our user name, wait for the main screen to load, arrow over to Store, wait for the store to load, arrow over to Prime, wait for it to load, choose the user name, and search for TNF.

Better start on Wednesday.

Sounds like I might not be able to watch it.  Have to check out alternate methods and it better NOT be to use the computer when I have a 75 inch TV in my family room.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/29/2021 at 6:04 PM, xaxat said:

Hell of a power play by Rodgers and his camp dropping this story on draft day.

Late on replying but heard today this wasn't like rodgers camp or anyone for that matter dropping a big bombshell on draft today.   Rodgers said nothing new before the draft. 

This was adam schefter before the draft deciding it was time to report on accumulated rumors and bits and pieces he'd been hearing all off-season. There was nothing specifically new or big that day it seems from rodgers or the packers that suddenly meant this was a story on draft day.  It was the reporter deciding to make a story that day based on all he knew from weeks of information here and there. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, xaxat said:

I'm skeptical of Schefter's new spin. PFT wrote about it here.

Since Florio outright accuses the Rodgers camp of cajoling Schefter into releasing it with no proof of that, his take on journalistic integrity is suspect.

I get why he thought Rodgers might have been the source.  I too thought it was his camp before Schefter spoke up.  I don't have a reason to  disbelieve Schefter's take.  Local GB sports reporters have hinted at the situation for months but hadn't written about it because they didn't have anything concrete, someone willing to go on record or even someone to go anonymous.  The fact that San Fran and Denver have targeted Rodgers hints that other teams knew the opportunity might be there.  Whether it's because they were approached by the Rodgers camp is a story that has yet to be told but two teams looking to trade for Rodgers is an actionable story.

Well after 8 hours in the car driving over the weekend listening to sports talk radio I'm sick of hearing about aaron rodgers.  Reminded me of why I stopped listening on a regular basis to sports radio.   

• Love 4

I listen to ESPN radio every weekday from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. and I am sick of Rodgers talk too.  Not Rodgers himself, because I love him, but endless speculation that goes round and round with no resolution in sight.

• Love 1

I have to say the rumors about Rodgers leaving Green Bay have left the Minnesota sports and news guys chortling with glee, especially when they realize that Cousins would be the best quarterback in the NFC Central division. That was the weekend before last. Now they are more worried about the Twins' sorry season.

(edited)
4 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Urban Meyer continues to show that he just doesn't get it.

I seriously wonder how long he's going to last in Jacksonville.

Why invite that circus to town?

I mean as a coach.

As a non-Jags fan I'm all for bringing that particular circus to town.

But I am a fan of the ridiculous.

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 3

33-year old media sideshow Tim Tebow invited to an NFL camp to attempt a position change at the age when actual players at that position have already peaked and start to retire. 

Meanwhile, 33-year old Colin Kaepernick....

• Love 12

Fascinating.
I am amazed at how many hours sports talk radio can commit to pretty much the same thing, over and over, every day.  In Wisconsin, it's Aaron Rodgers.  In New England, it's Tom Brady.  In New York, it's, well, the Yankees and some Mets.
What an interesting way to earn a living.  Pick any town, it's the same thing. Just talk about the same thing every day for several months at a stretch. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Tim Tebow is expected to sign with the Jaguars as a tight end

Because that's what every bottom of the barrel, hanger-on NFL franchise needs.  Stunt casting.

And, surprise, surprise, there are already reports that Jaguars teammates aren't thrilled with Tebow's latest resurrection.

Urban Meyer is going to treat these grown men like they're teenage freshmen, blathering about character and forcing them to do endless Oklahoma drills, and it's going to be hilarious watching just how quickly it all goes catastrophically wrong.

13 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Meanwhile, 33-year old Colin Kaepernick....

I guess being a (supposedly) wholesome, god-bothering white guy who kneels is different from being a "thuggish" black guy. 

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I am confused why ESPN pays to create a schedule show, but the schedule is leaked from all outlets including ESPN in dribs and drabs ahead of time?

I'm wondering why in the hell do we need a 3 hour show to talk about the 2021 NFL schedule. They're going to be talking about the NFL schedule pretty much every day till Week 1 arrives. Its a waste of 3 hrs & it downright sucks. Its bad enough that its 17 games now & there is no way possible that anybody will go 0-17. Frankly, its makes me sick. I'm still on my NFL summer vacation till Labor Day & this 3 hr suckfest is not worth the torture.

Speaking of torture, Tom Brady & the Buccaneers will be playing the Cowboys in the NFL Kickoff Game in week 1. Both of these teams are absolutely vile & I will definitely need a vomit bag for this suckfest. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Magog said:

Speaking of torture, Tom Brady & the Buccaneers will be playing the Cowboys in the NFL Kickoff Game in week 1. 

Ew.  There is absolutely nothing to root for here.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, mojoween said:
55 minutes ago, Magog said:

Speaking of torture, Tom Brady & the Buccaneers will be playing the Cowboys in the NFL Kickoff Game in week 1. 

Ew.  There is absolutely nothing to root for here.

Tampa Bay for the win!  Woo hoo!

No regrets, TBH; I get the hate for the Bucs, and while a college team will never beat a pro team, I would root for Notre Dame 11 times out of 10 if they ever played Dallas.

To be answer your question, mojoween, about a schedule release show: $$$$$.

Sorta like the NFL Draft and the combine and Free Agency; someone found a way to profit and to make it interesting (or not).  It is baffling when people look forward to those more than they would an NBA, NHL, or both an MLB regular season & playoff game

• Love 1
2 hours ago, QueerGirrl said:

There's always rooting for the alien spaceship to come and take the stadium away!  🛸

In situations like this, I usually root for a giant chasm to open up and swallow up both teams, but I like your idea!

• Love 8

7 hours ago, Magog said:
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

I am confused why ESPN pays to create a schedule show, but the schedule is leaked from all outlets including ESPN in dribs and drabs ahead of time?

I'm wondering why in the hell do we need a 3 hour show to talk about the 2021 NFL schedule. They're going to be talking about the NFL schedule pretty much every day till Week 1 arrives. Its a waste of 3 hrs & it downright sucks. Its bad enough that its 17 games now & there is no way possible that anybody will go 0-17. Frankly, its makes me sick. I'm still on my NFL summer vacation till Labor Day & this 3 hr suckfest is not worth the torture.

Given the rapid rate, the 2022 Schedule will drop before the actual 2021 NFL Schedule Release Show!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

I do often find myself rooting for sinkholes, but always come away disappointed.

My personal hope is an asteroid strike at the 50 yard line. According to NASA, the probability of an asteroid capable of destroying a city striking Earth is 0.1% every year, so at least there's a chance...

• LOL 5

What bugs me about the Vikings schedule is that the conference games are scrunched together at the end of the season. All 4 Chicago and Green Bay games are in December and January.

On 5/13/2021 at 8:41 AM, Lamb18 said:

What bugs me about the Vikings schedule is that the conference games are scrunched together at the end of the season. All 4 Chicago and Green Bay games are in December and January.

WFT has 5 of their division games the last weeks of the schedule.

Watched the show about how they make the schedule and grouping division games is a no-no.  But maybe just for favored teams.  I mean, it's probably not as important as the huge marquee match-up of multi-Superbowl winning Brady vs the mediocre Cowboys, but you know, they do have their agendas.

In the Super Bowl era, has any college coach been super duper successful in the NFL?

Off the top of my head, I can think of one, and I don’t know if that was all Pete Carroll, or the front office making good decisions so he came into a good situation.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

In the Super Bowl era, has any college coach been super duper successful in the NFL?

Off the top of my head, I can think of one, and I don’t know if that was all Pete Carroll, or the front office making good decisions so he came into a good situation.

The only one I can think of is Jimmy Johnson. Won a National Championship at the U (Miami) & have 2 Supel Bowl wins with the Cowboys (back when they were somewhat likeable.). I'm very certain that Jimmy Johnson wouldn't of even consider throwing that ball at the 1 yard line with the Super Bowl on the line. Pete Carroll is an absolute idiot for that & I still haven't forgiven Russell Wilson for that epic failure.

• Love 3

Oh yes Jimmy Johnson, totally forgot about him.  He definitely was successful in both, and then was railroaded out of town by a jealous, petty Jerry Jones.

I quibble with the Cowboys ever on this earth being likeable, however.

• Love 3

I am all for organizations taking risks because trotting out the same coaches over and over just guarantees consistent 8-8 seasons. However, given the rarity of translating from college to head coach, I don't see why.

Has there been a college coach that went to a coaching *staff* first for a while and then had success? 

I guess it depends on how you define success.  Jim Harbaugh was a college coach who had some good records.  He was also an assistant NFL coach in between his college stints.  He had teams with good records for the 49ers as well but no Super Bowls.

14 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I guess it depends on how you define success.  Jim Harbaugh was a college coach who had some good records.  He was also an assistant NFL coach in between his college stints.  He had teams with good records for the 49ers as well but no Super Bowls.

That's kind of what I was thinking of. I would say he's successful. 

It's just the college head coach straight to pro head coach doesn't seem to work. 

Considering teams have roughly 475 "assistant" coaches, you would think there would be plenty to take a chance on a head coach job with without having to go to the college ranks and get an automatic head coach.   Just as the players find out the game is different at the NFL level so do the coaches need time to adjust. 

But owners just go for the "hot" name and don't stop to think.    Remember all the hype about Chip Kelly a few years ago?   EVERYONE wanted him and was going nuts trying to entice him.   People were speculating what his Hall of Fame speech would be -- during the first half of his first preseason game.   He lasted what 3 years?   Then hasn't gotten a sniff from the NFL since?     Because he refused to adjust to the reality of the pro game.   12 games is a LOT different than 16 (now 17).   Most college teams are preparing for their bowl games in December not playing for a playoff spot.   Chip just plain wore his teams out going all out early in the season -- then there was nothing left for the stretch run.   That's just ONE thing he refused to accept.   

Given the absolute dearth of minority HCs while there are plenty of minority assistant coaches, it's not wonder the Frank Pollard Alliance is pissed.   They see owners going for the white college coach over a proven assistant.

• Love 1

The guest host on Keyshawn Johnson’s morning show read Schefty’s tweet that Tim Tebow signed with the Jags, and Keyshawn was so irritated about it he took his mic off and walked off the set.  (He wandered back within a minute)

I don't blame him.   Tebow is literally only doing this for the attention.   Like when he signed with the Mets two years ago.   There are only so many rosters spots in this case Tebow IS taking a spot from someone more deserving.   But Urban Meyer is a football genius right?

• Love 13

Canton.  2026 2025.  Book it.

Corrected.

Adam sitting out in 2020 means he doesn't have to wait as long following his announcement.  Pretty much what happened with Faulk in 2006 (though that was injury-related)

• Love 1

"Race norming" is one of the most offensive things I've heard in a while.   Even the NAME is offensive.   Oh hey, you ain't lily white, well I guess that means you were stupid to begin with so we will start from there to determine if you were harmed in anyway.   Just UGH.

• Love 7

I'm not even slightly surprised that a bunch of rich, privileged old white men who pay young black men to entertain them hold deep-set racist views.

These people value an athlete for precisely as long as he can make them money, then he'll be lucky if they'll even pick up the phone when he calls.

The infuriating thing is, they might be rooting this in academic testing and claiming that's their proof, while the actual issue would be the relative lack of educational opportunities and resources for young, black children due to structural racism in the country.

• Love 14