Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Rodgers has all of the leverage here.  Not traded?  Fine, he retires.  He'll be hired immediately as a talking head, might end up the full time Jeopardy host, and is all set financially unless he's been a complete spendthrift.  Plus he doesn't have to worry about that one hit that'll do permanent damage.

Plus his historical legacy is pretty secure.  He's already got his SB and even if he could go on another run he'll never eclipse Brady.  Sure, he can climb the leaderboard for the various counting stats but so what, he's never going to be unambiguously better than Brees, Manning, etc.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Rodgers has all of the leverage here.

Only if he truly is fine with not playing next year.  Otherwise, Packers do have some leverage.

Packers fans have experience with a legendary QB making his move via the media and leading to the question whether or not his current team will dump him for the heir apparent.

I'm sure the fan base (of which I'm a part of) is handling this with the calm of lived experience where things worked out and not at all treating it like it's the end of the world. 

Looks at timeline: 

Freak Out Panic GIF

Me:  Meh.

We're just one dick pic away from the complete Favreization and I wish I could say that I didn't see it coming.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I also heard the Rams contacted GB. Didn't they just get a new QB?

That ESPN article you posted said the Rams contacted GB back in January, so before they traded for Matthew Stafford.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Hell of a power play by Rodgers and his camp dropping this story on draft day.

Well, I guess it's fair enough as a (final) warning for Green Bay to do better with their draft

27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Jacksonville taking the full ten minutes is infuriating.

I know.  It's not like they haven't known for a week who they are going to pick.  Frankly, I don't know why every team doesn't know their first picks.  Have a board with their top x picks and cross off players as they are taken.  Top one left on your board when it's your turn, is your guy.  I guess they just want that ten minutes for the commentators to talk about their team.  Or maybe the network asks them to do that so they can say one more time what they've been saying for the past two months.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Carey said:

I believe Aaron's chances of that are nil.  As for returning for his 17th season in the NFL

I think his chances at Jeopardy are better than they were before his episodes aired. 

I've seen a lot of random "Aaron's going here" from people with blue checks by their names.  But Ian Rapaport had this about a half an hour ago.  So does Ian get scooped?  I think that'd be almost a bigger story than Aaron reportedly not wanting to go back to GB.

Ya know, only 12 teams made the playoffs every ( before this year) and almost half are one-and-done so is the stat "haven't made playoffs in four years" or "haven't won a playoff game in x years" really that big of a deal? Especially when you consider that half the teams are perennially in the playoffs, so not that many spots for the "also-rans" .

And while I'm here, another stat that annoys me is judging a player by how many pro bowls he was in.  So many factors that aren't how good they are go into that.  Popular players playing on popular teams or teams with fans willing to vote repeatedly get more votes than teams that no one notices, especially if they don't get many prime time games.

Edited by Johann
Just to rant some more

Fucking Eagles screwing the Giants over again.  Yes I know the Eagles didn’t owe anyone other than themselves anything on the last game blat blat blat they suck and they stole Smith right away from his rightful place in New York.

• LOL 1
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Fucking Eagles screwing the Giants over again.  Yes I know the Eagles didn’t owe anyone other than themselves anything on the last game blat blat blat they suck and they stole Smith right away from his rightful place in New York.

Heh.  Eagles conspiring with Cowboys.  In my team's division, I would compare it to the Ravens and Browns conspiring against the Steelers.  But not sure how the animosity ranks in your division.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Doggone those Bears, they went ahead of the Vikings even though they had a better record! A conspiracy!!

We'll get a better guy anyway, that'll show the Bears!! (ha)

I think the Ravens went ahead of the Steelers to "steal" the one guy they had their sights set on in 2015.  Baltimore didn't have a better record over Pittsburgh, but posted a 2-1 record over them in 2014, including a postseason win at Heinz Field.

Looks like Chicago might get it right this time around.  Especially given the Green Bay news.  The Bears will have to face the Browns and Ravens but avoid Tampa for 2021

WHAT!!!  VIKINGS, WHERE DID YOU GO? I've been waiting for the 14th pick and suddenly I don't know where they went. I better check the website.

Well, we are #23 now. But I bet we traded down in exchange for the Jets' second round pick. Vikings don't have a second round pick.

I think we got another 3rd round pick.

At least we are still ahead of the Packers.

I wonder if Belichick's dog is in the draft room.

Edited by Lamb18
  • LOL 2
3 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

WHAT!!!  VIKINGS, WHERE DID YOU GO? I've been waiting for the 14th pick and suddenly I don't know where they went. I better check the website.

Well, we are #23 now. But I bet we traded down in exchange for the Jets' second round pick. Vikings don't have a second round pick.

I watched one year waiting for the Ravens' pick - they were near the end - only to have them trade down to the next night.  Aaargh.

I don't even know why I watch the draft.  I don't watch college football and know nothing about any of these kids.  It's a weird fascination.  Like watching the O.J. high-speed Bronco/  police chase. 😁

• Love 2

Apparently the song of the night Peaches & Herb's "Reunited"; so many former offensive teammates coming together.

OMFG!! We got Najee Harris! Pittsburgh's running game was putridly anemic last season.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Johann said:

And while I'm here, another stat that annoys me is judging a player by how many pro bowls he was in.  So many factors that aren't how good they are go into that.  Popular players playing on popular teams or teams with fans willing to vote repeatedly get more votes than teams that no one notices, especially if they don't get many prime time games.

I loved it when those pasts the Patriots lack of Pro Bowl appearances since 2015.   Ummm, because they changed the game to the week before the Super Bowl so the players picked for the Pro Bowl don't appear.   

11 hours ago, mojoween said:

Jacksonville taking the full ten minutes is infuriating.

You must have loved Arians just busting in his pick at #32.   Yeah, it's the last one of the night, I wanna go home, here's the pick.   Go away now.

@mojoween  You have no idea how happy I am with the Micah Parsons pick.    I think Stephen or Charlotte made that pick.   It's too smart to be Jerry.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Do you know what would be funny? If Aaron Rodgers went to Chicago. Ha ha ha ha Packers. (Doesn't make much difference to Vikings.)

Rodgers would have to pull some Favre level diva-ing to manage that.  I think he wants to put his own spin on things and not be a copycat of his predecessor.  He wants to be out West. 

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

How about this......russell wilson for aaron rodgers.  Make two unhappy players .........less unhappy.  Maybe

Ha.  I saw someone joke about that on Twitter. Even if it were a possibility, I don't see that happening.  This is happening because GB drafted who they feel will be Aaron's replacement.  GB isn't going to want an even younger star QB years away from retirement.

(edited)

Nice portrait of Gooddell in the Rams' Malibu draft house.

Also I keep thinking those signboards in the back are writing "The Pig Is In!"  (instead of Pick)

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1

Those Packers! They butt in line right in front of Vikings! (traded w/Tennessee) 

The announcers are going nuts because the Packers' draft pick is A(mari) Rodgers. Another A Rodgers!!

Looks like Vikings got a good offensive line player - Wyatt David. His grandpa (Willie) played for the Packers!

While I understand that Louis Riddick is very knowledgeable about football, I think he hogs the conversation too much while they're sitting around discussing the draft.  Sometimes I yell "shut up!" at him.  

• Love 1

I'm a little confused.
There seems to be a lusting after quarterbacks that can run and throw...Patrick Hahomes clones. Mahomes certainly is a game-changer and I would love to have him on my team. 
But, is this the real path to Super Bowls?  Aren't most successful teams QBed by big, strong-armed folks who really do not run much.  Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, etc...do not strike me as really quick runners.  And isn't the fear that when your franchise QB ventures outside the pocket, he is going to get crushed by a 300 pound sprinter playing middle line backer?  
But, what do I know, eh?

Dallas went hard for the D this year (the jokes just write themselves).    But I'm happy.   With Sean Lee retiring and mostly injured the last few years, the defense has been terrible.    With a healthy Dak, the offense will be fine.   

Of course, the draft means nothing.   Its what you do with the players who actually make the team that matters.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, grommit2 said:

I'm a little confused.
There seems to be a lusting after quarterbacks that can run and throw...Patrick Hahomes clones. Mahomes certainly is a game-changer and I would love to have him on my team. 
But, is this the real path to Super Bowls?  Aren't most successful teams QBed by big, strong-armed folks who really do not run much.  Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, etc...do not strike me as really quick runners.  And isn't the fear that when your franchise QB ventures outside the pocket, he is going to get crushed by a 300 pound sprinter playing middle line backer?  
But, what do I know, eh?

The real path to a Super Bowl (and eventually a win there) is a complete team.  Obviously both can work while both have their pros and cons.  With a statue of a QB, he won't get hurt but man, he's dead if the rest of the team can't get the job done.  Whereas a mobile QB has a better chance of escape.  Doesn't always work, especially in the pros, but it's a nice asset.

The stronger the O-Line and/or the level of one's run game is important, period.  So is a solid defense to help take the pressure, load, and stress off of the QB

• Love 3
5 hours ago, grommit2 said:

I'm a little confused.
But, what do I know, eh?

Rodgers is very mobile (he's had to be, because the Packers have had terrible offensive lines at times, and a lack of receiving targets), and Roethlisberger used to be elusive and able to extend plays before he turned himself into the sixth offensive lineman on the field.

I think teams are just looking at the future of the QB position, and the impact that mobile QBs who can actually throw are having - the Chiefs and Ravens have had league leading offenses, Josh Allen took the Bills to the AFC Championship Game, Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes are Super Bowl winners - and see the death knell of the pocket passer. 

The idea is that these guys throw as well as pocket passers do, but can also run if they need to. They're not Vick-style run-first QBs who might be able to throw a bit.

I would also say that the risk of QBs being injured in the open field has been somewhat exaggerated. Everyone said Lamar Jackson would get hurt but he's been fine, as as Josh Allen, Pat Mahomes, Russell Wilson etc. In fact, I'd think that being sacked by a DE coming around your blindside and hitting you while you're in the act of throwing the ball would be far more likely to result in injury than being hit when carrying the ball in the open field.

The worst injury that we've seen a QB suffer in years was Alex Smith, and that was from a sack where two huge pass rushers landed on his leg and snapped it like a twig.

• Love 2

QBs still have to primarily be good passers.  

If they can run, great, but they need to get the ball out quick and be accurate.  

And if they do run need to be smart about it.  Avoid hits if possible.  Look to pass first then run.  Scramble and pass before just taking off with it. 

There have certainly been running QBs that have been successful.  But if they can't pass too, they don't last. 

Cam newton great runner, average passer.  He had a strong arm, but not accurate  He aged and his value plummeted.    

Michael vick, even before the dogfighting fiasco, was headed down the same path as cam newton. 

Vince young.  

Donovan mcnabb.  

You can play qb a long time if you can pass the ball even without running, and you can be effective.  Rivers last year was a statue, still played well most of the time. 

If you rely on running more than passing, your career will not last. 

• Love 2

I feel like the 'death knell' of the pocket passer comes around every so often. You're still going to have to consistently get down the field quickly with 2 to 3 minutes on the clock to win that 10th or 11th game to get you into the playoffs, or to get an FG in the playoffs before the half, where points are going to hard to come by, and running around just isn't a high % plan. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think it's an "either or" when it comes to pass/run for QBs. Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen all make good use of their mobility, including rushing downfield. They also finished in the top five in passing yards last season.

The Steelers used their seventh round draft pick to select Pressley Harvin III. He's 5' 11" and 260 pounds.

He's a punter.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6

No, I didn't mean either or, but there's still times when you need to stay in the pocket and fire off 5 to 7 completions and get down the field in a hurry. 

Sure, it helps if the play breaks down that you can scramble for 5 and get out of bounds. 

I just don't see the end of a pocket game any time soon. 

24 minutes ago, xaxat said:

The Steelers used their seventh round draft pick to select Pressley Harvin III. He's 5' 11" and 260 pounds.

He's a punter.

He has thighs like tree trunks and he can probably make tackles any time the returner tries to run it back. I'm digging it!

• Love 2