Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I'm eye-rolling the attorney claiming the pandemic forced Watson to find massage therapists on Instagram. Seriously? You mean to tell me Watson didn't have access to professionals through the Texans organization? Let's be real, the guy was looking for happy endings. I don't know if he's a rapist, but at best he's a sleaze. 

His lawyer has backed him into a corner. His initial defense was that he would never treat a woman with disrespect. The implication was that he would NEVER proposition someone during a professional massage appointment. Now he’s claiming he had consensual encounters. Does this mean he DID proposition some of the women and a few inexplicably decided to have sex with him? Or is he now saying female professionals massage therapists threw themselves at him first? I just don’t think it’s believable that dozens of licensed Houston massage therapists 1) had sex with him and 2) put their business and reputation at risk by lying so they could sue him. He’s looking more and more like a serial predator with a very specific kink. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, coconspirator said:

His lawyer has backed him into a corner. His initial defense was that he would never treat a woman with disrespect. The implication was that he would NEVER proposition someone during a professional massage appointment. Now he’s claiming he had consensual encounters. Does this mean he DID proposition some of the women and a few inexplicably decided to have sex with him? Or is he now saying female professionals massage therapists threw themselves at him first? I just don’t think it’s believable that dozens of licensed Houston massage therapists 1) had sex with him and 2) put their business and reputation at risk by lying so they could sue him. He’s looking more and more like a serial predator with a very specific kink. 

Yep, yep, yep.    His lawyer should have kept his mouth shut.   Just because the other side is trying the case in the media doesn't mean you should.   Also, "and some of the random massage therapists he called were willing to have sex" is NOT the defense he thinks it is.  

Hell even if he didn't trust the Texans to help him find a good massage therapist, he knows other NFL players, he could have called one of them for a rec.   Also, going to different ones, even if it takes a while to find the right one, you are going to over 30 different massesuses.

• Love 7

I'm going to take another tack and go with replacing Washington with Chocolate City. 

Really though, I was surprised at the lack of government monikers. Really, only Ambassadors. I would think Magistrates would be good. 'Come to be judged on the grid iron'. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm going to take another tack and go with replacing Washington with Chocolate City. 

Really though, I was surprised at the lack of government monikers. Really, only Ambassadors. I would think Magistrates would be good. 'Come to be judged on the grid iron'. 

If we go that route my suggestion would be Washington Gridlock. A tough defense that lets no one through.

Or Washington Filibusters.  You would have to beat them by more than 10 points for your win to actually count. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Popples said:

My suggestion of DCFC is on there, which somewhat pleases me. My non-list alternate name is "Go-Gos".

I like the Go-Gos.  Or how about the Half-Smokes.

I have to say I first read "Griffins" as "Grifters" and thought that would be perfect... 

• Love 2

Realistically, I don't think any poll is going to tell Dan Snyder what to name his team.

Back in the nineties, I was in DC when the Washington Bullets underwent a similar name change process. Lots of names suggested by the public, newspaper polls, team poll etc. When the new name of the Wizards was announced, everyone was like " Who the hell voted for that?"

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Realistically, I don't think any poll is going to tell Dan Snyder what to name his team.

Back in the nineties, I was in DC when the Washington Bullets underwent a similar name change process. Lots of names suggested by the public, newspaper polls, team poll etc. When the new name of the Wizards was announced, everyone was like " Who the hell voted for that?"

Mrs. Pollin.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Mrs. Pollin.

The woman who gave us the purple seats at the MCI Arena. I remember someone trying to make the case that the color was chosen because on TV it would look close to the blue worn by the Caps at the time. Even though it was clearly purple to anyone actually looking at it on their TV.

WFT for the win. It's developed it's own brand energy, people like it, and the name is derived from the actual history of the team.

For all of the crap people have (deservedly in my opinion) dumped on some of the names, the poll was a pretty canny PR move. Makes the season ticket holders feel engaged and generated a ton of buzz.

I see we are at that point in the draft cycle where the talking heads are debating the career potential of a future draft pick based on a single statement that seems rather innocuous.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Upon further reflection redtails sounds like a racist strip club

No, quite the opposite. It was the nickname for the pioneering African American WWII fighter squadron the Tuskegee Airmen. 

My great uncle was a Tuskegee Airman.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

No, quite the opposite. It was the nickname for the pioneering African American WWII fighter squadron the Tuskegee Airmen. 

While I thank and respect the service of your uncle for this country, you understand conotation vs denotation I presume.  

I cant see the name redtails being used for a sports team. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
9 hours ago, xaxat said:

Much respect there, @xaxat. I had the privilege to get to know a number of members of the group at my air museum back on Long Island. Incredible what they went through. I was speaking with one gentleman, and told him I had been a pilot in the Air Force. He said "Well, then you know what we went through." I said "No, sir, I don't - I only had to deal with learning to fly, I didn't have to deal with all the rest..."

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Either the internet has tricked me again or Alex Smith is retiring.

The Washington Post says the internet has not tricked you.  

This time. 

• LOL 5
4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

All that "whooshing" you hear is a collective sigh of relief that he's retiring.  I wish him well. 

With his family probably the loudest.  I know I was scared every time he played.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Johann said:

With his family probably the loudest.  I know I was scared every time he played.

Agreed.   His wife probably has more gray hairs that she would like from him playing.

He got to go out on his terms.   Even though WTF cut him, he apparently had legitimate offers.   Who knows what the next step will be for him, but I wish him well.   Andy Reid already called dibs if he goes into couching.   But given his story, he's got a future in motivational speaking.

• Love 7
On 4/15/2021 at 10:43 AM, mojoween said:

Washington sent out a list to its season ticket holders with team name suggestions.  Many of them are good, some are ok, and some need to be reminded that football and football may have the same name in multiple countries, but they are not the same sport.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-nfl-team-might-change-its-name-and-here-are-some-of-the-options-fans-are-being-asked-to-consider/

To be honest, I'm not a big NFL fan (anymore - I used to be a rabid 49ers fan back in the 1980s but then they won everything and I lost interest). But I do get regular emails from YouGov asking my opinion about stuff, and this "poll" was sent me as well. "Demon Cats" - really???? I still think Washington FC (even though that is like a footie team name) is best. Most of the options are super lame or silly.

On 4/20/2021 at 8:05 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Chocolate City Thunderbolts. 

You're welcome. 

I don't get it.

Chocolate City makes me think of Hershey, PA and then the team name would make more sense to be the Kisses.

• LOL 1
3 minutes ago, Johann said:

I don't get it.

Chocolate City makes me think of Hershey, PA and then the team name would make more sense to be the Kisses.

DC was known as "Chocolate City" due to the large Black population. Although with it being heavily gentrified, I'm not sure the moniker fits anymore. My mother being a DC native would probably love the name.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Popples said:

DC was known as "Chocolate City" due to the large Black population. Although with it being heavily gentrified, I'm not sure the moniker fits anymore. My mother being a DC native would probably love the name.

Thanks.  So why is Thunderbolts supposed to be so good?  Oh, and I live in Maryland, right next door, and never heard that name.

1 minute ago, Johann said:

Thanks.  So why is Thunderbolts supposed to be so good?  Oh, and I live in Maryland, right next door, and never heard that name.

I guess it depends on how old you are?  I also live in Maryland and am quite familiar with Chocolate City. 

I'm also ancient.

Edited by ebk57
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

I guess it depends on how old you are?  I also live in Maryland and am quite familiar with Chocolate City. 

I'm also ancient.

Maybe it's where in Maryland.  I'm upstate. And also old.

Edited by Johann
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Johann said:

Maybe it's where in Maryland.  I'm upstate. And also old.

That's it.  I'm in the immediate suburbs, worked in DC forever, and even lived there for 3 years before moving back out to Goatville.  Don't ask...

The draft is this week, surely there is something to talk about.   Who rising/sliding on the draft boards?   Who your favorite team should take?   Something.

Goodell said he was fully vaxxed so drafted players can touch him when crossing the stage.  I think everyone who is attending has to be vaxxed too but I would do the touching thing yet.   

• Useful 2

Lions and panthers want to trade back. 

Mike Greenberg taking over as espn host.  

Justin fields reportedly has epilepsy, though it's unlikely to affect his playing ability.  (I say this as a neurologist). I think fields is overrated anyway.  

Its a deep OL draft lots of them projected round one.  Edge rushers are not great as a group.  

Kyle Pitts is a physical freak at tight end it seems near the gronk level, will be interesting to see how high he goes.  A top five pick on a tight end?   Could happen. 

Devonta smith of Alabama is a great wr but might drop because of his size And low weight.  Some team may get a steal.  

Cleveland for the draft?   Not sure why it was chosen. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

History.    NFL was founded there.   Should have been last year for the 100th Anniversary but they wanted to show off the Roomba in Vegas.   Also rabid fans who will show up to cheer/heckle.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Lions and panthers want to trade back. 

Mike Greenberg taking over as espn host.  

Justin fields reportedly has epilepsy, though it's unlikely to affect his playing ability.  (I say this as a neurologist). I think fields is overrated anyway.  

Its a deep OL draft lots of them projected round one.  Edge rushers are not great as a group.  

Kyle Pitts is a physical freak at tight end it seems near the gronk level, will be interesting to see how high he goes.  A top five pick on a tight end?   Could happen. 

Devonta smith of Alabama is a great wr but might drop because of his size And low weight.  Some team may get a steal.  

It's possible the Falcons take Pitts.

• Love 1

I like Baker Mayfield, even if he does live in a football stadium.

For people who really hate Dallas, I recommend watching the 2009 playoff game vs. the Vikings (if you can). Even if you don't like the Vikings but hate Cowboys more, or really dislike Romo. Highlights include fumbles, interception, sacks, Romo pouting on the bench, the fearless owner stomping around malevolently.

Is anybody into mock drafts or tired of them? I plan to watch the real draft but I find all the time going into making these lists that don't mean anything kind of annoying.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Is anybody into mock drafts or tired of them? I plan to watch the real draft but I find all the time going into making these lists that don't mean anything kind of annoying.

So. Tired.  

And today on my phone an alert from CBS Sports said “predicting NFL draft surprises” and if you are telling me NOW, it’s not going to be a surprise TOMORROW, now is it?  I am a major spoiler-averse person, even for drafts and awards shows, and I hate how you basically know everything ahead of time.  Come on Atlanta!  SHOCK ME.

• Love 3

Nothing may happen for San Francisco as it relates to obtaining Aaron Rodgers, but I think I'd be surprised if he returns to the Packers for 2021.  On a related note, it would be sorta dumb if the Niners traded their pick to get Green Bay's number 12

I guess the only way this gets topped is for a True NWO move within the Draft.  In other words, Urban (maybe Trent) trade their first pick to New England in exchange for a 4th round pick and a 2022 5th round pick.  Meyer quits on Friday, joins the Patriots as an offensive assistant, and Baalke gets killed post-Draft.

That is totally not happening (unless it does).  To be honest, I root for the totally out there stuff that can't even be scripted for film or television