Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Offensive Rookie of the Year - ripoff. Justin Jefferson should have gotten it. Not only did he beat Vikings/Randy Moss's rookie receiving yards record, but the beat the NFL rookie receiving yards that had been in place for 50 years. I don't know what the Charger quarterback did that was so great.

I’m pretty sure today is the first day I have ever seen Calvin Johnson without a helmet.  He could have stood next to me any time and I would have had no idea who he was.

For the HoF inductees, someone reported (Peter King, maybe?) that Peyton’s discussion took 17 seconds.  Why so long?

• Love 2

If you walk in wearing a mask, you walk out wearing a mask.  The germs don’t magically go away for you to have a conversation with these gentleman.  And fuck’s sake Jerry Jones should wear a mask every minute of the day.

Anyways, good for Drew Pearson.  Long time coming.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Very happy that Charles Woodson made the HOF.  Packer fans love him.  He only played 7 years in Green Bay, but had 38 of his 65 interceptions, 11.5 of his 20 sacks, and 10 of his 14 defensive touchdowns while wearing the green and gold.  He had that great line in the locker room after beating the Bears to go to the Super Bowl, after Pres. Obama said he would go to the SB if the Bears won, "Hey if the president won't come see us, we'll go see him - - - White House on three!"  A great player and a great leader.  Amazing when you think that his only good offer in 2006 came from the Packers.  Thanks, rest of the NFL.  Ted Thompson was questioned about signing him, since a lot of people thought Woodson's play was declining, but Ted said simply "Charles is a football player."  The highest of praise from the laconic Ted.  

But once again Leroy Butler doesn't make the HOF.  Every player from the All-Decade first team of the 90s is now in the HOF, except for Leroy.  My favorite play by Leroy (other than that first Lambeau Leap) was in the Super Bowl against the Patriots.  Leroy blitzed, Dave Meggett tried to block him, and Leroy just took him along for the ride and got the sack.  The perfect example of his power, tenacity, and skill. Leroy should be in the Hall.   

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Offensive Rookie of the Year - ripoff. Justin Jefferson should have gotten it. Not only did he beat Vikings/Randy Moss's rookie receiving yards record, but the beat the NFL rookie receiving yards that had been in place for 50 years. I don't know what the Charger quarterback did that was so great.

Totally disagree.  While I do agree JJ had a great year, Herbert was on fire- he even broke Baker’s rookie TD record.  If Anthony Lynn hadn’t done such a terrible job this year with time mgmt and stupid chances, the Charges could’ve had more wins.

Congrats to Alex Smith, Kevin Stefanski (yay!), Justin Herbert, Aaron Darnold, and Chase Young.  While I agree Rogers was MVP, he’s a jerk.  And I don’t think Derrick Henry deserved Offensive Player.  I would’ve given that to Jefferson.

Oh, and why didn’t Ron Rivera get more votes?  I expected a tighter race for COY.  He was dealing with a crappy offensive, new team, behind the scenes turmoil, NO NAME FOR HIS TEAM, took his team to the playoffs with a strong finish, oh and CANCER!  If he’d have won over Stefanski, I wouldn’t have a problem.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

The ONLY award I really disagreed with is Rodgers as MVP.   big deal, the Packers were good AGAIN.   It just wasn't that great a performance.   Now Mahomes on the other hand continues to amaze.  But you can't give it to the kid again so soon, he might get ideas RIGHT???

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Court said:

Whoever voted for Big Ben for comeback player of the year should have their voting privileges revoked permanently.

Couldn't disagree more.  Somewhat on a related note, whoever voted for Gilmore for DPOY last year should have their voting privileges taken away forever coupled with a lifetime NFL ban.

Alex Smith deserved the award over Ben and I would definitely have said that the voters got it wrong if they went with Big Ben.  However, this time a year ago Roethlisberger was a lock to win the award with a return from a near career-ending injury suffered in 2019.  The loss of Ben was felt in their final three games, even though they went 8-6 without him (8-3 through 14 NFL weeks).  Alex Smith's injury, which turned into a life-threatening one, happened in 2018.  Alex wins the award from taking one snap in any season.  If he had returned in 2021, Von Miller or Barkley would not win it.  If he had returned in 2019, Ryan Tannehill would not have won it.  BTW, Tannehill winning it over Jimmy Garoppolo was very criminal.

I understood the reasoning why Steelers fans were against giving the award to Alex Smith over those circumstances for one snap.  I didn't agree with it, but I understood it.  Pittsburgh has a history of getting hosed by the NFL throughout all the aspects of what goes on the league on an annual basis. 

Alex was the winner, period.  No way I vote for Ben.  I don't think it's a high crime like someone not voting for Derek Jeter to get into Cooperstown.  Heck, Smith didn't even need to take a snap to win the award, IMO.  Fortunately it was a moot point, given the fact that he played quite a bit.  And get this: Washington beat Pittsburgh at their place!

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Comeback player of the year is the most useless award.  And least meaningful.  It's just 'best player I jured the year before'

Granted this year the Alex smith story is nice, but most years......who cares?  

Yeah, this is the only year I thought Comeback Player was worth something.  Last winners came back after surgery and rehab that a lot of players endure, but I felt Alex Smith really overcame tragic circumstances.

I'd have been happy with either Rivera or Stefanski winning coach of the year.

I don't think Brady has been cheating for 20 years.  Just intermittently.  Or skating the edge of cheating at times.  Winning now doesn't disprove anything.  I think we all admit he's a great QB.  Now that he has weapons, he can win without cheating -at least that could be the narrative if you want to say he did, but no longer does, cheat.

• Love 4

With the combined classes of 2020/2021 being enshrined next year, there will be six people with ties to Pittsburgh going into the Hall next year. Lot of Yinzers gonna make that drive.

You know Tom Brady's legacy has been more than validated when he's made more super bowls than number of seasons a WR played in the NFL prior to being selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility!

Edited by Carey
  • Love 4

Here's some good news for Belichick as well as Buffalo: Both New England and the Bills will get their day against Tom Brady in 2021 (granted he doesn't retire or get hurt before the game).  Patriots host Tampa so who knows.  Meanwhile, the new and improve Bills, who got destroyed one win away from facing their nemesis, can get the last laugh against TB12.  That Bills/Bucs game will be at Raymond James Stadium so maybe not.

To comment on what ChitChat said about the atmosphere for Super Bowl in general a couple weeks back, I have to echo that.  For me, that two-week period between the Title Games and the Big Game were a chance to catch my breath.  I love football, but at that point I was ready for it to be over.  Usually the Super Bowl week is something worth looking forward to, and then it's over until September.  This year was different.  I really never got into the week leading up to it.  Even yesterday was sorta mild at best.

I don't know; maybe the NFL tries to outdo itself and that's what causes the burnout.  Either way, I'm looking forward to a nice break until Selection Sunday in terms of sports.

Despite the six month wait, the NFL is a 365-day ordeal.  I mean that; it's the only sport where I can't wait for the Schedule Release Show.  In addition to that, Free Agency and the Draft.  There won't be anymore games for 7 months, but there will be big breaking news throughout the off-season that's a bigger deal than some regular season game in another sport.

As mentioned, hats off to the NFL for completely the season, all 269 games in full when it looked difficult to impossible to do so.  Love them or hate them, I'm happy they found a way.  It was complicated, but nothing was cancelled outright and that is a major plus.

In case I don't get a chance, it's been a blast talking football this season.  There were some disagreements, might've been heated, but from me to everyone, total respect on one's POV.  If all goes well, it'll be great in 2021 and I hope to discuss all things NFL (and maybe even run that prediction game that went absent this year).

As for Tom Brady being the GOAT after tonight: I'll disagree.  If he is, I think he reached that status long before tonight, well before this season as a whole

Edited by Carey
Final Thought
  • Love 2

He’s no longer the QB of my team, and I was neither rooting for or against him. He’s had more than his fair share of success, and his winning moves me no more than if Rodgers or Wilson had won. 

But boy howdy, am I ever amused by how mad him winning makes 90% of the country!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
Just now, Fukui San said:

But boy howdy, am I ever amused by how mad him winning makes 90% of the country!

Seriously, the hate directed at him is just so...innnnnnncredibly disproportionate.  In the live thread, a poster wrote that a friend of a friend of a friend (or something) of Drew Brees said Brees loathes Brady and that that means Brady is a giant asshole.  Given that Brees is a huge homophobe, that actually makes me think the exact opposite and like Brady more.

This title, as with all sports titles won during COVID, gets a big asterisk from me, but I would've been happy to give the asterisk to either team as I like both teams very much.  However, I definitely am amused to see the general and completely ridiculous rage that ensues anytime Brady dares to win, so enjoy the asterisk, buddy.

• Love 3

I didn't care if Brady won or not.  I realized that this past week.  I was kind rooting for Tampa Bay and its fans, so if that meant Brady went along for the ride, so be it... As long as he didn't cry for a flag every play when his receiver missed the ball.  He didn't have to do that since all the flags went his way.  He's a great QB, I don't begrudge him what he earns.

Sooo, halftime, or what I like to call 'time to hit the buffet' was a big disappointment.  No parties, no buffet.  And moving the clothes from the washer to the dryer didn't take up nearly enough time.  What the he'll was that?  Maybe I'm just too old.

Congratulations, Bucs fans!

And I want to join in to the kudos to the NFL for getting this season in.  And can the draft always be done remotely like it was this past season?

• Love 3

My husband is a HUGE fan of Mahomes.   He was planning to work overtime tonight (Sundays are double time so he tries to work over when he can).   He was so bummed by the how KC played and the outcome, he came home on time.   

• Love 1

Well I can't get I to why I hate brady so much because it sends me down a bad road.......but suffice it to say football more than any sport is a team game and brady his whole career has benefitted from those around him.   Not that he doesn't deserve credit for winning for Superbowls than anyone. But not as much credit as he is given. 

Tampa bay deserved to win the d played great and forced the mahonmes into the worst game of his career.  Even his scrambling didn't produce anything.  

And for all that who gets the mvp?  Well brady of course.  

Happy for arians though.  

Suh and antonio brown, screw them.  

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Hey, just curious. Do you lot still believe that Brady has been cheating for 20 years? Or nah now that he's not with the Patriots and in the Super Bowl again and maybe he was just always that good?

I think Brady has always been a terrific player, who would do anything to win including cheat, if the opportunity presented itself and he felt he needed it.  For the most part, he hasn't needed to cheat because he is so very talented and his work ethic is so strong; but I think his personal ethics are just a little fuzzy and he'd use any advantage he could get, including cheating.  He's also benefited greatly from the refs giving him the calls which isn't cheating, just part of life in the NFL for the elite QB's.

I'm happy for Tampa Bay, though.  

I was rooting for KC mainly because they used to be coached by former Cleveland coach Marty Schottenheimer who is now in hospice with advanced Alzheimer's.  I always liked Marty; the best Brown's years of my lifetime happened when he was coaching here and, even when he went to KC, I rooted for him.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3

Honestly that D should be the MVP. Outside of those bullshit calls at the end of the first half they were amazing and got to Mahomes. He has never looked that rattled or confused. I know this win will be all about Brady and Gronk but their D was masterful.

I am sort of happy for my cousins who live in TB and have been fans even when they were crappy.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 5

Now if only those coordinators will get HC positions....

I’m still bummed the Weeknd  didn’t sing his song from Black Panther. I think with some background Wakanda dancers that number would have been amazing.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Scuttlebutt is, and I’m not quite up on the deets why, is that Brady continuing with his dastardly ways improves Eli’s HOF chances.

Not sure what that says for Nick Foles, though.

My friend’s husband, who I have known for over a decade, is (I thought) a huuuuge Pats fan.  Had a bazillion Pats clothes, basement all decked out in Pats stuff, the whole nine yards.  The first week of this season he posted a pic in Tampa Brady gear from head to toe and last week said something like “the Super Bowl will be in OUR house baby!”  Mmmm, no.  Fuck that.  If Eli went to Jacksonville I sure as fuck would never buy a Jags jersey.  Hell, I’m not even happy for JPP.  His first ring is the one that matters.

And yes, I am salty, and I’m not mad about it.  When I get a hate on for a sports figure or team I am a dog with a bone.

• Love 3

Why I don't like Tom Brady can be summed in by how he behaved while being interviewed by Jim Nantz during the trophy presentation.   Nantz was wearing a mask and brady told him to speak up he couldn't hear him.   Brady -- who was MASKLESS -- could hear just fine I am sure.   You can be heard through a mask fine, especially with a mic right next to your face.

Also I do not get why he is so ennamored of Antonio Brown to the point he has him stay at his HOUSE.   given how Brown treats people, I would not want him anywhere near my family.   

Also yes it sucks that Suh and Brown now have Super Bowl rings.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

If I learned anything this season, it's that I hate the Patriots more than I hate Brady. Was rooting for the Chiefs, but didn't lose any sleep over the Bucs winning.

Ha!  I discovered that I am vehemently the exact opposite.

• Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2021 at 9:26 PM, Lamb18 said:

Because QBs get the awards more often than not even if they don't deserve it.

Just look at the SB.  Brady should not have been SB MVP.  Should have been the Bucs DL, or Shaq Barret and Suh

And that opinion actually has nothing to do with my Brady hate.  The year my Colts won the SB, Manning didn't deserve it either.  That one should have gone to Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes, their running back duo.  They played great that game in the rain and ran the Bears D into the ground. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Because QBs get the awards more often than not even if they don't deserve it.

Just look at the SB.  Brady should not have been SB MVP.  Should have been the Bucs DL, or Shaq Barret and Suh

And that opinion actually has nothing to do with my Brady hate.  The year my Colts won the SB, Manning didn't deserve it either.  That one should have gone to Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes, their running back duo.  They played great that game in the rain and ran the Bears D into the ground. 

I realize that a defensive player is never going to be awarded SB MVP, but Brady did not deserve that honor last night.  All he did was manage the game.  The Bucs won because their offensive play caller called the right plays, and their defense was on point.  Leonard Fournette did more last night than Brady.

• Love 2

Was rooting for Bucs, but mostly wanted a great game. Doh! KC looked downright unprepared. I was thinking they were getting a bit over-confident. 

I hated Brady with the Pats and carried it over to the Bucs. But his knowledge, talent and passion for the game are evident, and his leadership had a lot to do with turning a good Bucs team into a great Bucs team. In conclusion, he won me over this season.* But I agree the D won that game and deserved to be MVP. 

I'm shocked I didn't have nightmares from that Weekend shit. 

*I reserve my right to start hating Brady again at any time should circumstances warrant.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

KC looked downright unprepared. I was thinking they were getting a bit over-confident. 

Andy Reid REFUSED to adjust  his game plan.   You could tell.   First quarter they were getting no where with this forever to set up plays.   they were only rushing 5 instead of 7.    So what does he do?   Keeps calling the same plays over and over with the same result.

He did this the last time he faced Tom Brady in the Super Bowl.   I don't know WHY he would get conservative and refuse to adjust in the big game but he did.

• Love 1