Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

We were on the New York State Thruway today and passed a truck with Ohio plates but a New England Patriots sticker on it and I was like “how dare they, but then again the Patriots have more wins in the last ten years than Ohio’s two teams combined” so of course I had to look it up to be sure and it was 123-118 from 2011 to 2020 in favor of Ohio, so my joke was ruined.

• LOL 2
22 hours ago, mojoween said:

We were on the New York State Thruway today and passed a truck with Ohio plates but a New England Patriots sticker on it and I was like “how dare they, but then again the Patriots have more wins in the last ten years than Ohio’s two teams combined” so of course I had to look it up to be sure and it was 123-118 from 2011 to 2020 in favor of Ohio, so my joke was ruined.

Don't you know... Never ruin a good joke with the facts.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Is there even a remotely good reason why I need to give a damn about who is going to win the NFC East in June? They keep asking this question every 3 weeks. Even though I'm currently on summer vacation from the NFL, I find the constant blabbing about who is going to win the NFC East very irritating.

9 hours ago, Magog said:

Is there even a remotely good reason why I need to give a damn about who is going to win the NFC East in June? They keep asking this question ev  wery 3 weeks. Even though I'm currently on summer vacation from the NFL, I find the constant blabbing about who is going to win the NFC East very irritating.

The media is in love with the Cowboys and will use any excuse to talk about them.  Who knows, maybe some day they may even be competitive and worth talking about.  Won't the media just be all a-twitter in orgasmic delight...

(edited)

I’m confused. This dipshit has a problem having different Covid protocols than his vaccinated teammates? What do you expect would happen? If you don’t want to get vaccinated then you have to get tested every week because, shocking I know, you have an increase chance of getting it and spreading it to others. Sort of the point of getting vaccinated. Don’t whine when you end up getting it and have to go in quarantine, just to build up your own immunity. I just can’t with stupid people.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 13

So, so ignorant.  To suggest that it's everyone else's responsibility to steer clear of him and his potentially raging germs, instead of doing the right thing for himself, his teammates, the fans, and anyone else he might potentially come in contact with, is just monumentally, gobsmackingly, repulsively ignorant.  Did his mother not have to provide proof of immunity from spotty kid diseases when he was a rugrat?  But then, judging by his illiterate rants, maybe he didn't actually go to school.

• Love 5

Sorry, Cole, but there are plenty more undersized, gritty, 'bring your lunch pail to work', white receivers out there who aren't Covid denying morons.

He doesn't even have a coherent argument, just regurgitated buzz-words and pithy lines from all the anti-vax propaganda that don't even make sense.

But it doesn't surprise me that a guy who plays one of the "brain damage sports" is so into this nonsense.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, twoods said:

I’m confused. This dipshit has a problem having different Covid protocols than his vaccinated teammates? What do you expect would happen? If you don’t want to get vaccinated then you have to get tested every week because, shocking I know, you have an increase chance of getting it and spreading it to others. Sort of the point of getting vaccinated. Don’t whine when you end up getting it and have to go in quarantine, just to build up your own immunity. I just can’t with stupid people.

Oh didn't you see?  He can prevent covid from infecting him by drinking water and eating healthy.  So he doesn't need the vaccine

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

It's God will doncha now.   Of course he then did a sponsored post for Off (the insect repellent) about how great it was to go camping without worrying about bugs.   Hmmmm.

Bills fans are dragging him.   One said that the fans were taking the vaccine so they could watch his rich ass play, the least he could do is get vaccinated.

• Love 14

I thought drinking water and eating healthy would keep the mosquitos away? Isn’t that how it works in his world? I’m a Bills fan and disappointed in him. The coach is taking the high road but I’m sure he’s disappointed in his nonsense.

53 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I’m super happy for Carl Nassib, but I feel badly that Michael Sam seems to be getting forgotten, just because he was never signed.

I wish him all the best and even more I wish for a day when I won’t have to wish the next Carl Nassib all the best. 

• Love 19

As a gay football fan, I'm really heartened by Nassib's announcement, and I hope he inspires others to follow suit if they wish.

And for anyone reading this thread, The Trevor Project is an incredible organization; if you have the means and are so inclined, a donation, no matter how small, is going to do real good in the world.🌈

• Love 18
On 6/21/2021 at 11:23 PM, mojoween said:

I’m super happy for Carl Nassib, but I feel badly that Michael Sam seems to be getting forgotten, just because he was never signed.

I think the driver of that is the feeling that Michael Sam was falsely elevated because he was gay, and should never have been drafted. I've seen that sentiment so many times, particularly in the last day or two, but I'm sure I recall seeing Sam as a projected 4th round pick before his sexuality became big news.

Seeing Nassib get support from his fellow players is great, and it reinforces what a lot of ex-players have said - they've all played with gay teammates and didn't care as long as they did their jobs.

This is still a conservative sport, from the owners to the coaches to the fans, and to a lot of the players, so each little step is important. And the cynic in me wants to say that the owners are seeing these shirt sales figures and are asking 'we got any more of them gays in the locker room? This is a gold mine!'

• Love 6
(edited)

I have a NY Giants rainbow shirt, so money surely does talk!

If I am remembering correctly, Michael Sam was the defensive player of the year at Missouri so he was probably drafted lower than he should have been anyways.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
On 6/12/2021 at 11:29 PM, mojoween said:

You need to add in the 16 playoff wins for New England and the one (1) playoff win for Ohio over that same period. 

That'll make it 134 to 124, so you're all good. 

• Useful 1
On 6/25/2021 at 10:19 AM, JTMacc99 said:
On 6/12/2021 at 11:29 PM, mojoween said:

You need to add in the 16 playoff wins for New England and the one (1) playoff win for Ohio over that same period. 

That'll make it 134 to 124, so you're all good. 

I guess you could thank Pittsburgh for its contribution to that stat, in both Ohio and New England's favor!

• Love 2

NFL fines Washington Football Team $10 million; Tanya Snyder to run operations for now

The NFL fined the Washington Football Team $10 million in the wake of the league’s investigation into the team’s workplace culture.

The league announced the resolution Thursday. The team will pay the $10 million to support organizations committed to character education, anti-bullying, healthy relationships and related topics, the NFL said.

The NFL did not suspend team owner Daniel Snyder but said that his wife Tanya, named the team’s co-CEO earlier this week, will assume responsibilities for all day-to-day team operations and represent the team at all league meetings and other league activities for at least the next several months. There was little to no sentiment among other owners throughout the process to force Daniel Snyder to sell the franchise, people familiar with the situation have said.

The league’s investigation was led by Beth Wilkinson, a former federal prosecutor and partner in the D.C.-based firm Wilkinson Stekloff, who began her work last July, after a Washington Post report detailed allegations of pervasive sexual harassment levied by 15 former female employees and two journalists covering the team. Those allegations were ignored, and in some cases condoned, by top club executives, The Post reported.

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, Moose135 said:

The NFL did not suspend team owner Daniel Snyder

Of course not.  Because when even a self-serving internal investigation that you decline to have put in writing and refuse to release even redacted details of prompts you to impose $10 million worth of fines, why would you want to suspend the guy who oversaw the whole operation that dozens of victims and witnesses risked their necks to tell the truth about and who was the direct subject of several allegations?  No, just make the organization cut a check and agree to some buzzword changes, and hope everyone will forget.

• Love 5

Snyder is "suspended" for all intents and purposes.   He has to concentrate on the business side and stay away from football for awhile.   NFL claims it was voluntary based on the need to get a new stadium done (any city that pays a CENT for a new Snyder stadium is an idiot).   But yeah, what report that is THIS detailed about what needs to change is not in writing?

Mike Freeman figured out that based on the net worth of the team, that the fine is the equivalent of $285 for someone making $100,000 a year, just to put it in perspective.

Bad week for sexual assault victims, Cosby, Alison Mack and Snyder let off with a slap on the wrist.   

• Love 3

Snyder might not be in the office every day, I still believe he will be firmly in charge of all aspects of the team.

One thing the victims have asked is to be released from their NDAs. It appears that did not make the list of recommendations. Hmmm.

• Love 3

Hard Knocks will be featuring the Dallas Cowboys in their next upcoming edition. Yay.

ESPN - Dallas Cowboys Make 3rd Appearance on Hard Knocks.

I do not watch Hard knocks at all because not only its on during my summer vacation from the NFL, but its also nap-inducing.

Since these fools on HBO & the NFL thinks that the Cowboys are entertaining (they are not), I think that they should do a Hard Knocks season edition. Basically following the team throughout the season during its high & lows. I think the Cowboys would be perfect for this type of format because it will be very entertaining watching them suck week after week. Besides, we might even get to see that idiot Jerry Jones throw a temper tantrum & their fans cry everytime they lose.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Magog said:

I do not watch Hard knocks at all because not only its on during my summer vacation from the NFL, but its also nap-inducing.

I used to watch Hard Knocks, but the further they get into the preseason, the less I want to see.  I don't care about their backstories, their golddigging Botoxed girlfriends, or their conspicuous consumption.  Last year I watched some of it to see how they were handling COVID.

Mainly I enjoy Liev Schreiber doing narration.

Most teams don't want to be on Hard Knocks.  Fascinating that my Giants have never been forced to participate.  You would think at least once they'd miss the criteria for exclusion:  being on it in the past 10 years, having a new head coach or having been in the playoffs in the last two years. 

But as you say, HBO and the NFL are under the delusion that the Cowdungs are "America's Team."  Fox might as well embed Joe and Troy with the team for all the times they cover their games.

• Love 2

NFL has stated that they are NOT cancelling games this year due to Covid (not that they did last year but there was always the possibility they would have to).   Teams without decent vaccination rates will just have to live with the consequences.   GOOD.   I hope the thought of having to forfeit and the players losing a paycheck is enough incentive for the Cole Beasleys of the NFL to get vaxxed.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Teams without decent vaccination rates will just have to live with the consequences.   GOOD. 

Being vaccinated reduces the chance of catching covid, but does not eliminate it. The Yankees have one of the highest vaccination rates in MLB. They have had two outbreaks already. The majority of the players who tested positive in the outbreak that caused the postponement of their game against the Red Sox were vaccinated.

Edited by xaxat

I'm of two minds. One, it sucks for those players and staff who are vaccinated and will be exposed by others who are not and could possibly get sick. Two, for the unvaccinated players and staff, screw 'em.

• Love 8

The fact is that as of July 16th, 2021, no one can force someone else to receive the vaccine.  I guess that's fair enough.  What I'm loving quite frankly is how the NFL is sorta forcing someone else to receive the vaccine.  They're business, and they can make up rules to make life miserable for those that are not vaccinated.  Maybe it's messed up; maybe it's not.  Either way, the league will win if someone takes them to court over it.

I think I'd be shocked if Sherman had CTE.  Not shocked if an NFL player gets it, but Richard is a smart guy & is well educated.  Plus, his position and what he specializes in doesn't feature the stuff that would result in early head-trauma

On 7/9/2021 at 2:45 PM, Popples said:

Yeah there have been many rumors about Sunday ticket leaving DirecTV.   Why this was not settled with the prior NFL tv deals I have no idea.  They're have been vague articles and innuendo about it for months. 

The WFT should just be renamed the WTFs.   It's fitting and what I always think when I see WFT anyway

• Love 1

Here's the thing.  Leonard & Cole are welcome to do whatever they want in terms of the vaccine.  I'm not upset that they're against it, but I'm simply mad that they will not shut up about it.  I just do not see what there is to gain by using a platform to show one's opposition to the vaccine, but that's just my opinion

• Love 1

Sure people can refuse to get the vaccine and thereby endanger the rest of us.   BUT, employers can also refuse to employ people who are not vaccinated.   Their company their rules.   Not being vaccinated does not fall under the ADA.   So players can choose not to be vaccinated.   But the teams should be allowed to cut anyone not vaccinated.   You don't have a RIGHT to play in the NFL.  When it costs them money lets see what their vaccination stance is then.   Hell they won't even stand up for better working conditions and the Commissioner not being solely in charge of disciipline if they think it will cost them money.   

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Carey said:

Not shocked if an NFL player gets it, but Richard is a smart guy & is well educated.

Not seeing the connection between being smart and well educated, and not getting CTE.  Head trauma doesn't respect a Stanford degree.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, meowmommy said:

Not seeing the connection between being smart and well educated, and not getting CTE.  Head trauma doesn't respect a Stanford degree.

And that is a fact.  Just like every other (fatal) illness (cancer, covid, alzheimer's, etc), it doesn't care that we're saying "eff you" or "go to hell [insert said disease]".  

What I meant was that Richard Sherman is aware of the risks associated to playing in the NFL.  The way he plays his position differs from a running back or safety.  Sherman hits hard and plays the game tough, but not to the degree that Kam did.  Despite his other injuries, he's more likely to come out of this in better health than someone on the O-Line, a RB, or even the D-Line.  The O-Line is hitting on every play.

To close, when I made mention to Richard's smarts, I was referring to his education, and his common sense in the game of football.  Maybe he does have CTE, but he's only played the game for less than a decade.  I can't recall any issues that might have hampered him.  Plus, Sherman does not have a history of this type of behavior that I'm aware of. 

Meowmommy, this caught me by surprise, though it's not a complete stunner.  The man is a free agent and sometimes desperation and panic set in, along with not being within an organization where he'd be with a team working out and preparing for the 2021 NFL season.

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Sure people can refuse to get the vaccine and thereby endanger the rest of us.   BUT, employers can also refuse to employ people who are not vaccinated.   Their company their rules.   Not being vaccinated does not fall under the ADA.   So players can choose not to be vaccinated.   But the teams should be allowed to cut anyone not vaccinated.

League related medical care is negotiated under the CBA. The union would fight it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

League related medical care is negotiated under the CBA. The union would fight it.

Chances are that a team would boot a player for another reason, as in someone getting cut for "not being that good" when the real reason is due to someone not being vaccinated

1 hour ago, Carey said:
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

Chances are that a team would boot a player for another reason, as in someone getting cut for "not being that good" when the real reason is due to someone not being vaccinated

Easy grievance win for the union. Because everyone would recognize it as a circumvention of the CBA.

In the end, I think the debate is moot. I doubt a full vaccination policy is a priority for the league. Conditions will be dramatically better than they were last season.

• Love 2

There is actually evidence of education level being protective vs dementia in general.  I am not aware of any evidence of it being protective vs cte specfically though.  Most of the research is heated toward Alzheimer's  And it's debatable whether the protective effective is an actual benefit or a statistical association where starting at a higher education level just makes it a bigger decline until the diagnosis is discovered

I doubt education is protective vs cte though.  

• Useful 1