Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Headline in today’s paper said that the Bills are going to meet Pittsburgh at Highmark Field and I had to read the article to find out where that is.  Apparently, I missed a naming rights article about Buffalo because I had no idea New Era Field (? I think that’s what it was before) was no more 

Yeah they changed it in the off-season.  It is super confusing because Pittsburgh is on the road against Buffalo at Highmark Stadium.  Highmark is a non-profit company headquartered in Pittsburgh, and there is actually a Highmark Stadium in the city.

Week One Picks: Houston, Chargers, Seahawks, Carolina, Minnesota, Tennessee, San Francisco, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Kansas City, New Orleans, Denver, New England, Rams, Ravens

AFC Division Winners: Kansas City, Indianapolis, New England, Cleveland (WC: Buffalo, Los Angeles, Tennessee)

NFC Division Winners: Los Angeles, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Green Bay (WC: New Orleans, San Francisco, Seattle)

Conference Title Week: Browns over Patriots & Buccaneers over Cowboys

Super Bowl 56: Cleveland Browns over Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Edited by Carey
Picks & Predictions
  • Useful 1

I may be hearing things but every time Cole Beasley catches the ball I swear the fans are booing.  Or maybe they are saying Cooole. 

Kyler Murray is looking very good.

I guess the Texans are going to win at least one game this year. I’m happy Tyrod is doing well. 

Edited by twoods
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Apparently, I missed a naming rights article about Buffalo because I had no idea New Era Field (? I think that’s what it was before) was no more 

I'm such a Neanderthal and/or Luddite because I'm still thinking they're in Ralph Wilson Stadium.  But of course there's no money in keeping a stadium named for your late long-term owner.

Edited by meowmommy
17 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I'm such a Neanderthan and/or Luddite because I'm still thinking they're in Ralph Wilson Stadium.  But of course there's no money in keeping a stadium named for your late long-term owner.

Snerk.  I had to pull New Era Field out of the recesses of my brain because I still want to say Rich Stadium.  And I don’t even know who Rich IS.

• LOL 2
55 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Az is crushing tenn

Lions already in midseason form!!!

So much for going 285-0!   I was leaning toward picking Arizona but the travel thing is what it is.  Detroit might end up in a class away from Cleveland and end up winless twice in the last 15 years let alone all time

I don't get the Giants game, so will have to rely on score updates and highlights.

Here I sit rooting for the Packers.  While never one of my top teams, I have always generally rooted for the Saints, but with a rapist under center, no fucking way.  Same with how I can't ever enjoy the Steelers again until Big Ben retires.

I watched 49ers vs Lions as my morning game, and it was  better than I expected it to be.  I thought - and was hoping, as I'm still bitter at the 49ers over Kaep and was kind of rooting for Goff - maybe Shanahan was going to blow yet another lead.

I still can't believe we have Matthew Stafford at QB, but am looking forward to tonight's Rams game.

Maybe the Packers should have traded Rodgers in the offseason after all.

Never count out Mahomes.

You know it would nice if the Lions didn't save all their scoring for the 4th quarter.   Just once.  

Looks like the NFC East is going to be putrid again this year.    SOMEONE has to win the division.   

I’m the most casual of NFL fans, so I was a little surprised that the Broncos beat the Giants and that Teddy Bridgewater played well, considering that when he was QB of the team I follow (Panthers), I thought he was mediocre-to-bad.  Did he improve, or are the Giants just that bad?

Another year, still the browns.....

Colts lose and it had nothing to do with Carson Wentz, way played well despite pressure all day.  OL, secondary, particularly the safeties, not the corners, and bad plan on D first half lost it.  Oh and missed opportunities.   

Who saw that AZ beat down of Tenn coming?  Wow. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

I’m the most casual of NFL fans, so I was a little surprised that the Broncos beat the Giants and that Teddy Bridgewater played well, considering that when he was QB of the team I follow (Panthers), I thought he was mediocre-to-bad.  Did he improve, or are the Giants just that bad?

The Giants defense is still terrible, but the scuttlebutt all preseason is how good Teddy looked and how improved Denver is from last year.  Having Von Miller back is no small shake either.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

In tv news, Amazon is making a push for Sunday ticket.  DirecTV has it until after 2022-2023 season.  

Wonder if it'll be a separate subscription or will every Amazon Prime member suddenly be paying $500 a year?  They're already shelling out a billion dollars for the few games they do carry, none of which are exclusive to AP.

DirecTV is a racket.  I paid for their lousy product for ten years, solely so I could get Sunday Ticket.  If they lose the NFL to Amazon, their subscriber base will likely crash.

• Love 1

Yep, one of the reasons we still keep direct TV is for the Red Zone channel.

I’m glad Teddy Bridgewater had a good game. He is playing as well as he did pre-injury. Hope he continues it up.

One drive and Stafford is already eons better than Goff. 

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

DirecTV is a racket.  I paid for their lousy product for ten years, solely so I could get Sunday Ticket.  If they lose the NFL to Amazon, their subscriber base will likely crash.

We used to be able to haggle with DirecTV over the NFL Sunday Ticket price, but once they merged with AT&T, we could no longer do that.   I am curious as to how this might play out with Amazon Prime though.   

What the heck happened with Aaron Rodgers today?  Wow!  We didn't expect that beat-down.  

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't get the Giants game, so will have to rely on score updates and highlights.

I didn't get the game on TV down here either, but I caught some of it on Sirius in the car. Probably best that we didn't get to see how they played...

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Looks like the NFC East is going to be putrid again this year.    SOMEONE has to win the division.   

I don't know, maybe a four-way tie for last?

5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Wonder if it'll be a separate subscription or will every Amazon Prime member suddenly be paying $500 a year?  They're already shelling out a billion dollars for the few games they do carry, none of which are exclusive to AP.

I'm sure the Amazon Sunday ticket deal would be a separate fee. 

Yeah DirecTV sucks.  I'll drop it if they lose Sunday ticket. 

Chandler Jones is on pace for 85 sacks.

ESPN Radio played a recap from the guys who called the Pats/Miami game and Rob Minkovich summed it up thusly - if the Pats had scored more touchdowns or field goals they would have had a better game.  Thank you Rob!  You should call Bill and let him know.

• LOL 6
10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

In tv news, Amazon is making a push for Sunday ticket.  DirecTV has it until after 2022-2023 season.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-nfl-sunday-ticket-package-deal-football-games-frontrunner-2021-9

That would be great since we can't get Redzone on our basic Comcast anymore (which we only keep because of spotty internet).

Colts lose and it had nothing to do with Carson Wentz, way played well despite pressure all day.

How soon before he gets hurt and is out for the season?

Edited by Haleth
9 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I didn't get the game on TV down here either, but I caught some of it on Sirius in the car.

I was listening to the radio call at the start of the third quarter. Bob Papa said "... and Teddy Bridgewater looking like Joe Montana..." Heh. 

NFL Radio on Sirius during game days does it's version of the RedZone but with going to the local radio calls when something is going on in the games. So I get to hear what the rest of the country sounds like calling their own teams. 

The NY calls are a lot more even-handed and critical of their own teams than what I hear from some of the other calls. The play-by-play guys never refer to the Jets or Giants as "we", the color guys never openly cheer a good play. They're obviously rooting for the teams to do well, but they also give even coverage to what the opponents are doing well and what the home teams are doing poorly.

A couple years ago, Papa got so frustrated with the Giants pass defense that he exclaimed after yet another third and long conversion, "Carl [Banks], we've said it all year. If you need to complete a pass against the Giants, just throw it over the middle. Somebody will be open!"

11 hours ago, ChitChat said:

We used to be able to haggle with DirecTV over the NFL Sunday Ticket price, but once they merged with AT&T, we could no longer do that.   I am curious as to how this might play out with Amazon Prime though.   

Good question. Amazon will probably try to bundle it up with other services and/or products.

• Love 1

As part of what I do for a living, I get market reports, investor reports, and other such things about the TV industry.  Today I got one that talks about the impact of the NFL. Before it gets to the nuts and bolts about numbers, ratings, new platforms and so on, it drops in this:

As we look forward to a new season, hope springs eternal (except for Jets and Giants fans) that the year will bring a revival in fan interest as more stadiums welcome back fans, fewer NFL players will fall ill to COVID, sports gambling accelerates and a new crop of exciting players take the field.

Dude. I mean, I laughed out loud, but still.

Ouch.

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, KHenry14 said:

AT&T/Directv is bleeding money and customers, so I find it hard to believe they could find the money to pay for Sunday Ticket

We were long-time customers (20+ years), but due to their constant price increases we changed over to Dish Network.  We'll finish out our contract with them and then consider going back to DirecTV in order to get all of the perks for signing up (NFL Sunday Ticket hopefully), and go from there.   I like their setup better than Dish, and we were told after the fact that if we had been able speak to the right person, they could've gotten our monthly price down.  I think they're desperate to keep customers.  

We'll wait and see who has what in the next year.  Right now we're seeing most of what we want to on ESPN and local stations, so it's okay for now.  

Holy hell, what a game to end week one.  I kept feeling certain the Raiders were going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  They scored the TD with too much time left in regulation, and of course the Ravens moved ahead, but then, wait, the Raiders tied it up with a beautiful 55-yard FG and off to OT we go.

Then they seemed poised for win, then, damn, they'll have to settle for a FG and play on, and then, holy shit, they turned it over and now they're really cooked.  But they force a turnover and just have to kick a FG.  Instead they dick around and lose yards again, so they're going to bring back the offense and, oh lords of Kobol, please don't make for a longer FG (or worse, turn it over), and, behold, they wind up with a winning TD.

I went to Raiders games as a kid, and I've maintained a passing interest in them in the decades since they moved on and so did I - since I'm an NFC fan, they were fairly inconsequential to me other than nostalgia; not a threat, so a team I would faintly root for but not get invested in - and tonight made me surprisingly happy (it helps that I dislike the Ravens, but that was just exciting football).

• Love 1

Damn Ravens.   I thought for sure Justin tucker was going to blow the FG attempt when all the announcers talked about how "automatic" he is.   

The West Division in BOTH conferences all won in week 1.   Gonna be a tough division this year.   2021 might be one of those years where the shifts in where the conference champions come from.    I remember when the NFC East sent THREE teams to playoffs, Division Winner and BOTH wild cards.   Now one of the West Divisions could do that.    

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

So Brent Musburger is going to say “jackpot baby!” every time the Raiders make the end zone, huh.  Well that won’t get old in a 17 game season at ALL.

He did it all last season as well. He's all in as the Raiders play-by-play guy. 

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

The West Division in BOTH conferences all won in week 1.   Gonna be a tough division this year.

The AFC West does look to be a lot stronger this year. If the Broncos stay relatively healthy, they'll be a lot better with good QB play like they got in week one. The Chargers made some more steps in the off season, and they've got themselves a really good QB. The Raiders are what we saw last night, and the Chiefs are still excellent.

• Love 1

Aaron Rodgers said that one of his interceptions was due to receiving a double nut shot, which lead to a discussion of different types of nut shots on the Key, Jay and Max show, and today is one of those days I’m just fine with being a chick.

• LOL 8
On 9/15/2021 at 6:58 AM, mojoween said:

Aaron Rodgers said that one of his interceptions was due to receiving a double nut shot, which lead to a discussion of different types of nut shots on the Key, Jay and Max show, and today is one of those days I’m just fine with being a chick.

It is always 100% funny as long as it isn't you.

season 6 GIF

homer simpson GIF

• LOL 3

Football in the groin!!  Football in the groin!

I don't know what happened to Aaron Rodgers lately but hasn't been a good year for him so far.  I know one game but wow, after his off-season you come out and suck like that in week one, not good

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't know what happened to Aaron Rodgers lately but hasn't been a good year for him so far.

So when do we start talking about him as a possible Jeopardy host who happens to play football, vs a future Hall of Famer who happens to want to host Jeopardy?

It won't take long, if it hasn't started already, for the mice to come out and complain that all the off-season distractions related to Aaron Rodgers's unhappiness are what caused the Packers' disaster in Week One.

Speaking of bad teams, watching tonight's game, apropos of nothing, will be like choosing to have root canal work done, missing the anesthesia.

• Love 3

If the Giants put half the effort towards winning they dedicated to throwing away this game against a mess of a team, the season might not be a total embarrassment.  Holy hell!  It's been quite a while since I saw a team squander so many opportunities out of utter stupidity.  And I thought I'd resigned myself to my G-men deserving the loss, but, nope, when the game came to its inevitable conclusion, my "I hate everyone" fit prompted my cat to come check on me (and she's five years used to "the yelling season" as I figure she calls it). 

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Two sports, two teams, two walk-offs, two losses, one night.  Thank DOG I was at a concert and missed most of the mess, but I got home in time for Heineken to throw a TD (boooooo) and the Giants to score a FG (yaaaaaaay) and then a special teams player (who WILL ABSOLUTELY BE RUNNING LAPS AROUND GIANTS STADIUM) pissed it all away.  

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I'm sad my Giants handed that game to the WFT...

They really need to get their shit together.

Having said that, let's take a look at what the NFC East has lined up through week 3.

The Eagles host the 49ers and Dallas goes to LA to play the Chargers.  Let's just say for the sake of argument that we can mark those two games down as losses for the NFC East. (They're both 3 to 3.5 point underdogs.)

Week three, Giants host the Falcons, Football Team goes to Buffalo (loss), and Eagles go to Dallas. 

There's a distinct possibility that they're all 1-2. There's also a chance that the Cowboys could be 2-1 and a chance that the Eagles could be right there with them at 2-1 or even way out in front at 3-0.

I'm stopping this exercise at week 3 because the Giants go to New Orleans week 4. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I'm stopping this exercise at week 3 because the Giants go to New Orleans week 4. 

New Orleans, where the Saints are going home for the first time since the hurricane, who were exiled to New Jersey after Katrina, who lost that game.  Not thinking good things for Big Blue’s chances here.

• Love 1