Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1.   IF an unvaccinated player tests positive, he has to quarantive for the full 10 days.   A vaxxed player only needs 2 negative tests and can be back.   IF an unvaccinated player cannot play a game due to a positive test, yes he will not be paid.   IF the player has so many close contacts that the team cannot play, the game is a forfeit and neither the team with the player OR the other team gets paid.   Even though the other team did nothing wrong.   I think the idea is peer pressure.   "Hey you can cost yourself a game check but don't you dare fuck with anyone else's check."   Also, unvaxxed players cannot tryout for other teams without going through quarantine.   Vaxxed players can just show up.   So staying unvaxxed will STILL cost Cam even if some other team is interested in him.   If a starter goes down, it's either wait for Cam to clear quarantine or find a vaxxed QB.

2.   Hoyer was released.   Right now, there is NO back up to Mac Jones on the Patriots.   It is expected, that Hoyer will be re-signed before week 1 once the dust settles on all the roster shuffling.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Jaguars Say COVID-19 Vaccine Status Didn't Factor into Releases amid Investigation

NFL offices contacted Beane to let him know that vaccination status can't be the only factor considered when deciding whether to release a player. 

FFS, I can't believe they're doing an investigation.  Seems like a team should have the right to protect its players and staff.  Since when does being unvaccinated give you some kind of special status where you can't be cut?

• Love 10
On 9/1/2021 at 3:12 PM, meowmommy said:

Seems like a team should have the right to protect its players and staff.  Since when does being unvaccinated give you some kind of special status where you can't be cut?

It has to do with the fact the players are represented by a union.  I heard Bill Polian talking about it last night. It's not unreasonable for a team to let a player's vaccination status play into it's decisions, but they sure as heck can't say it out loud. That opens up all sorts of things that are covered under collective bargaining agreements, laws, and lawyers, and so on.  Polian did think that if the league really wanted to fight it out in court, they would be allowed to make decisions solely on vaccination status. It's just a lot easier to do it but not SAY you're doing it.

• Love 7

I'm stealing that line @AimingforYoko. Heh.

9 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised that Brady and to a lesser extent Gronk aren't antivaxxers. Would we have been that shocked Brady had claimed immunity from Covid because he's never eaten a banana?

Gronk does have that feel about him that he thinks he's invulnerable to stuff, and therefore doesn't require vaccines. 

Brady, regardless of his routines and beliefs about what he puts in his body, I'm sure would (eventually) put team ahead of that stuff. The NFL made it pretty clear that his team would suffer if he chose to go unvaccinated and somehow became exposed or infected.

• Love 2

I would not have been surprised either way if Brady was vaccinated or not.  I'll be honest, I'm actually glad that people that otherwise may not have received the vaccine ended up getting it.  Especially TPTB within the NFL.  Probably more business than personal, but sometimes people have to do things they don't want to do.  I had my questions on it too, but over half a year later, I have no regrets going for it.

Speaking of Brady, I can't wait for him and company to destroy Dallas.  Sorry that I'm rooting for Tampa, but for me, they're playing the Cowboys.  Can't see myself rooting for them against Gronk, Arians, and TB12. 

Whatever happens and whoever wins the title, I'm just happy that meaningful football is all but here (IMO, they could've had a full slate of games tomorrow, and TB/DAL could've played this past Thursday).  BTW, it would be nice to get those pick em games or whatever for the upcoming year (even if I had to run it).  Those were pretty awesome!

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Carey said:

Speaking of Brady, I can't wait for him and company to destroy Dallas.  Sorry that I'm rooting for Tampa, but for me, they're playing the Cowboys.

My two favorite teams are the Giants and whoever is playing the Cowboys.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 9/4/2021 at 12:42 PM, Moose135 said:
On 9/4/2021 at 12:05 PM, Carey said:

Speaking of Brady, I can't wait for him and company to destroy Dallas.  Sorry that I'm rooting for Tampa, but for me, they're playing the Cowboys.

My NFL Summer Vacation ends tomorrow. As for that game, There is nobody to root for on Thursday Night. Either way, I lose.

I don't have a team to root for, although I kind of have a soft spot for the Browns. I don't have 0-16 to root for anymore & that really angers me. I mainly have teams to root against and/or have an outright hatrid of. Teams like the Cowboys (duh..), Patriots, Raiders (except for their fans), those choking not worth a damn Falcons, those scummy sorry Rams (especially Jared Goff (can't wait to see him fail in Detroit) & Sean McVay), that sad excuse of an NFL team called the Texans, those losers called the Chargers, Dan Quinn (part of that 28-3 choking in that Super Bowl), Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, & Tom Brady.

One of the few current people in the NFL today that I will never ever disrespect (unless he ends up in the Super Bowl) is Rod Marinelli. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
On 9/3/2021 at 3:22 AM, Fukui San said:

I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised that Brady and to a lesser extent Gronk aren't antivaxxers. Would we have been that shocked Brady had claimed immunity from Covid because he's never eaten a banana?

Brady's wife Gisele has a good head on her shoulders, and I'm sure she would have smacked some sense into him eventually.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Brady's wife Gisele has a good head on her shoulders, and I'm sure she would have smacked some sense into him eventually.

Can she smack some sense into Carson Wentz while she’s at it?

Line all the anti vax players up and smack them, like a reverse of that scene in Airplane!

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2
On 9/5/2021 at 11:42 AM, mojoween said:

I don’t know where I’ve been all summer, but I just this minute learned that A.J. Green signed with Arizona.  Huh.

I just heard that recently, too.  Guess that news doesn't stack up as high as which body part Prescott has a booboo on or whether Brady got a vaccine or, basically, anything Cowboys or Patriots.

• Love 3
On 9/4/2021 at 12:05 PM, Carey said:

I have been eying this game for a while with the exact same feeling about Tampa smacking around Dallas. That would please me. 

I have absolutely no remorse about rooting for Tampa, or Brady, or anything in this situation or in general. I am also assuming that Tampa won't be as fortunate as it was last year with regards to overall team health. They'll have challenges to overcome like everybody else, so I don't feel that it's just automatic that they'll be representing the NFC in the Super Bowl this year.

But I would sure like them to look like they're destined to do that in week one.

• Love 1

Yeah when I think of winners who crush their opponents I think "hogs."    I mean I get its a nod to their Defense of the 80s.   But UGGGH.

Armada -- utterly defeated by the elements.

Presidents -- ummm, no.

Brigade -- WTF (oh wait that was choice?).   A brigade is simple a military unit.   It does not connote any special talent.  Okay that might fit after all.   

Commanders -- well, there are good commanders and bad commanders.   Again, its a title that does not connote anything special.   

Red Wolves - possible.   Tough scary and they can keep the colors.   Also the song still works.

Football Team -- only so I can still call them the WTF.  

I guess Red Hawks might have run into trademark issues with the military.  

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 2
On 9/4/2021 at 12:42 PM, Moose135 said:

Substitute the Patriots for the Giants and I totally agree. This has been a sad week for the Patriots. David Patten died in a motorcycle accident and Sam Cunningham died at age 71. He was Randall Cunningham's older brother.

• Useful 1

The newspaper said that Randall was Sam’s older brother and I was like no, that is just not possible.

Honestly the only way tonight’s game will be even remotely satisfying is if it ends 2-0.  For Tampa, I guess.  It’s really just gross either way and won’t be any fun at all.

• Love 3

It's KICKOFF DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regardless of the teams playing (GO COWBOYS), the season starts tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    18 weeks of football culminating in Super Bowl LVI at SOFI in LA.    

• Love 2

Looks like a ton of people are pimping their season picks ahead of tonight's game due to the start of the season tonight.  I'm ready & happy to be back to football (with fans!).  I actually do have who I'd choose in terms of division winners, conference winners, wild card, etc.  However, right now, Tampa opens their 2021 campaign handling business to Dallas before Cleveland handles them on February 13, 2022

What’s the point of even playing if you’re going to bail Tom Brady every single fucking time? I’m not a Cowboys fan but I’m livid. Any other team would have gotten an offensive PI called against them.

• Love 1

What the hell is wrong with Cris Collingsworth?! He was blathering on at the end about how courageous Dak Prescott is. Courageous?! He's in a state where medical professionals, front line workers, teachers etc have been working through possible death and he's calling Daz courageous because he's playing a game after getting 1st class medical care a YEAR ago? Ick.

• Love 8

FOUR TURNOVERS.   Dallas forced FOUR TURNOVERS and STILL LOST.    We still can't do anything in the red zone.   You cannot keep trading FGs for TDs.   6 is more than 3.   But every time we get in the red zone, nothing happens.   So field goals.   And Dallas is the place where good kickers go to die.   Zeke was freaking invisible this game.   He hasn't broken a really long run in YEARS.    

Doesn't matter how close it was, an L is an L.   You don't get to the playoffs by keeping it close all game but the other team wins.

• Love 3

Closer than I thought it would be.  Worse thing about that is going to be Michael Irving crowing about how the Cowboys are going to win the Superbowl.

Wonder what the score would have been without the turnovers...  Dallas points scored and TB drives ended.  Maybe closer to what I expected.  Don't expect TB to make that many mistakes every game.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

What the hell is wrong with Cris Collingsworth?! He was blathering on at the end about how courageous Dak Prescott is. Courageous?! He's in a state where medical professionals, front line workers, teachers etc have been working through possible death and he's calling Daz courageous because he's playing a game after getting 1st class medical care a YEAR ago? Ick.

Seriously?  Every moderately good athlete has been called heroic, fearless, etc. for doing their job - if we were meant to take those statements seriously then Tom Brady would have ascended to sainthood by now.  It has always been pointless hyperbole - the pandemic doesn't suddenly make it a dumb statement. 

7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

FOUR TURNOVERS.   Dallas forced FOUR TURNOVERS and STILL LOST.    We still can't do anything in the red zone.   You cannot keep trading FGs for TDs.   6 is more than 3.   But every time we get in the red zone, nothing happens.   So field goals.   And Dallas is the place where good kickers go to die.   Zeke was freaking invisible this game.   He hasn't broken a really long run in YEARS.    

Doesn't matter how close it was, an L is an L.   You don't get to the playoffs by keeping it close all game but the other team wins.

Had the ball in the RedZone and then two turnovers inside the 30 in a short span and scored 9 points.  Missed fg, missed extra point, fg.  

That lost the game.  

If course I he refs just blatantly missed a penalty for the BUCS defender tipping his helmet off after a play.  I was shocked that one it was missed and two the announcers said nothing about it. Should have been first and goal Dallas. And I'm not really a fan of either team. 

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Seriously?  Every moderately good athlete has been called heroic, fearless, etc. for doing their job - if we were meant to take those statements seriously then Tom Brady would have ascended to sainthood by now. 

To some people, Tom Brady is the face of sainthood & he can do no wrong. 

As for last night's game, It was a nice game. But, I can't find any joy about Tom Brady beating those scummy Cowboys with that game winning drive. Its one scummy team (Tom Brady & the Bucs) beating another scummy team (Cowboys). Either outcome, I lose. 

9 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

NBC missed a golden opportunity to have a camera in the owner's box. I would have loved to see Jerry Jones's face during the last two minutes.

That would of put a smile on my face. Everytime Jerry Jones gets mad & sad about his Cowboys losing, it makes the world a little bit brighter. His constant misery about his Cowboys always makes me very happy. Hopefully, this will put an end to him & those Cowboys being in the Super Bowl conversation. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

NBC missed a golden opportunity to have a camera in the owner's box. I would have loved to see Jerry Jones's face during the last two minutes.

Yeah, I was sorry to see they didn't show him. The shot of Skeletor as the Cowboys lose is priceless!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

if we were meant to take those statements seriously then Tom Brady would have ascended to sainthood by now.

But..but..but...you're saying he hasn't???  Whatever do you mean?

1 hour ago, Magog said:

Its one scummy team (Tom Brady & the Bucs) beating another scummy team (Cowboys).

The Bucs only became scummy because Mr. Spygate/Deflategate/Giselle's dependent joined the team, no?  Bruce Arians, unlike Tom Terrific's last coach, seems to be a good guy.  And secure in the knowledge that Tom Terrific can never take away the fact that my Giants beat him twice in the games that counted, I find it's always a good day to root against Dall-ass.

• Love 4

The Ravens may or may not find a way to succeed, but this season is a reminder of their 2015 campaign (a season that followed a promising season that included a road playoff win against a big-time rival)

41 minutes ago, meowmommy said:
5 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

if we were meant to take those statements seriously then Tom Brady would have ascended to sainthood by now.

But..but..but...you're saying he hasn't???  Whatever do you mean

I bet that there are some fans out there who would be willing to testify that they saw him walk on water.  🙄

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

Did we all know that TJ Watt is better than JJ Watt?

I know that TJ is hotter.  Does that count?

Maybe, but TJ is playing for a respectful, historic, and legendary franchise.  JJ played for the Houston Texans.  As a result, TJ > JJ

3 hours ago, Magog said:

That would of put a smile on my face. Everytime Jerry Jones gets mad & sad about his Cowboys losing, it makes the world a little bit brighter. His constant misery about his Cowboys always makes me very happy. Hopefully, this will put an end to him & those Cowboys being in the Super Bowl conversation. 

Actually, I think this will ramp it up.  Nobody expected them to win and they lost to the defending Superbowl team that returned all of its starters by only 2 points.  And had a comeback drive.  

REALLY worried about my Ravens.

Sooo... even though I don't have a clue what was being advertised, the Tom/Giselle commercial was cute.  "I said I have 10 more years in me" and the conversation with the Patriots fans that hate him, but would take him back, were fun.  "Did he say he hated you?"  "Yeah."

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

nd secure in the knowledge that Tom Terrific can never take away the fact that my Giants beat him twice in the games that counted

That's why I never had the ill feelings towards Brady and the Pats - they always lost to the Giants in the SB.

• LOL 1

Headline in today’s paper said that the Bills are going to meet Pittsburgh at Highmark Field and I had to read the article to find out where that is.  Apparently, I missed a naming rights article about Buffalo because I had no idea New Era Field (? I think that’s what it was before) was no more