Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ok and another thing this chaos with the uniform numbers has got to stop.  Put them back the way they used to be so I can figure out who’s playing what position for cod’s sack.

Either let any position use any number or make the rules more definitive.  

QBs and kickers get lowest numbers?  Who combined those two positions?  WRs in teens or 80s?  Big gap. 

It doesn't make sense and they aren't going to make everyone change numbers to make it make sense, so drop the whole number protocol.

• Love 1

I am a critic of the increase of public surveillance. But if leagues wanted to get together and use facial recognition to make sure assholes like this would be banned from all sports venues, I might be able to get behind that.

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

I am a critic of the increase of public surveillance. But if leagues wanted to get together and use facial recognition to make sure assholes like this would be banned from all sports venues, I might be able to get behind that.

So there's the guy in the white shirt who got pummeled, the three guys who did the pummeling, and the woman in the striped top who blew everything up when she tossed a drink at the guy in white.  Security needs to work on their response time

• Love 2
6 hours ago, xaxat said:

Yeah but with all these videos, they don't need facial recognition.  They can be recognized via social media.  I hope they're arrested. 

• Love 2

Atlanta Falcons believed to be first NFL team to be 100% vaccinated against COVID-19

The Atlanta Falcons are fully vaccinated, the team told ESPN on Monday, and are believed to be the first NFL team to reach this milestone.

Atlanta has been proactive with vaccinations in the community as well, offering vaccines at its preseason game last Friday and the team's practice inside Mercedes-Benz Stadium earlier this month.

The Falcons did have five players on the reserve/COVID-19 list at the start of training camp, but all have since been removed from the list.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

We all can breathe a sigh of relief right now. Tim Tebow has just been cut by the Jaguars. 

Hopefully, the Cowboys will somehow scoop him up. It'll be very entertaining to not only seeing the Cowboys fall flat on their face. But, it'll also be very satisfying watching Tim Tebow be a part of the crashing & burning of the Cowboys 2021 season.

• LOL 7
3 hours ago, Magog said:

We all can breathe a sigh of relief right now. Tim Tebow has just been cut by the Jaguars. 

Hopefully, the Cowboys will somehow scoop him up. It'll be very entertaining to not only seeing the Cowboys fall flat on their face. But, it'll also be very satisfying watching Tim Tebow be a part of the crashing & burning of the Cowboys 2021 season.

Cowboys aren't picking up Tebow.   Jerry Jones doesn't like anyone who can compete with him for attention.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

How does everyone feel about the new taunting rule?  I don't like taunting at all, but it sometimes looks like the referees are bleeding into the celebration zone with the flags.  Maybe I'm not seeing everything or maybe the refs will get some clarification before the next set of games. 

I don't want them to curtail celebrations, unless they are excessive - I like the quote "act like you've been there before" when addressing excessive celebration, but if they aren't allowed to be happy when they make a play, it will put a damper on my viewing.

• Love 1

Johann, I think you and I agree.  I guess I'm in the middle here with the new taunting rule.  On one hand I love it since it's unnecessary.  Make the play and move onto what's next.  On the other hand, I hate it because someone might passively celebrate (or not even) but the ref thinks it's taunting and then there's the flag.  I can't imagine the rule surviving, but it probably won't go away until it costs someone a meaningful game, which might factor into one's season and career

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

The taunting call during the Colts game was in no way deserved.  

This.  That play is where the refs turned into the No Fun League.

Personally, I have no issue with taunting.  Can’t take it?  Do better.

• Love 2

This shit probably amuses only me, but I just found out that Bill Belichick has been in the league since 1974, and Nick Siriani was born in 1981.  Time is a crazy thing.

Also, Belichick’s tenure in the NFL is my junior by one year.  WTF.

Edited by mojoween

Yeah I figured out I was in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL when Belichek started in the NFL.   OOOF

But other than finding out that Evander Holyfield's kid plays for the Eagles, what else was there to talk about in that game.   It was a blow out -- even by preseason standards.

Meanwhile, there's a guy that played for the worst franchise in the league that didn't even exist during Belichick's first decade in the NFL.  As time passed, that guy that didn't exist is in the Hall of Fame and Bill, who has about 2/3 dozen rings isn't in the HOF

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was reading captions on the NFL Network while we were at Outback and it said something about Larry Fitzgerald not sure if he wants to play, and did I miss a retirement announcement?

No. He just isn't inspired to play at the moment. Maybe he'll sit out this year and come back in '22.

7 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

No. He just isn't inspired to play at the moment. Maybe he'll sit out this year and come back in '22.

Huh.  That’s a dangerous idea for a receiver of his age but Larry has earned the right to do whatever he wants.

I think Fitz will sit out this year, and then in the off-season, announce his retirement.  It'll be somewhat similar to what Vinatieri did a year ago.  Maybe he'll return mid-season; maybe not.  You never know who'll need WR help later, but I imagine it'll have to be a contender (as in Super Bowl contender).

It's possible that Larry emulates what Randy Moss did a decade ago when he was out in 2011 & then returned in 2012 with San Francisco.  I could see that with, say Tampa Bay.  It would be fitting to end it in his "home stadium" with his fellow Westwood One teammate.  While I think Tampa could win it, the difference between Larry and Randy is the latter was in his mid 30s, whereas Fitz will turn 38 in 10 days.

Nevertheless, barring a comeback, Larry will be celebrating something somewhere in Ohio in August 2026

• Love 1
On 8/21/2021 at 12:27 PM, Carey said:

Nevertheless, barring a comeback, Larry will be celebrating something somewhere in Ohio in August 2026

As someone from Pittsburgh, I cheer for all teams from the area. Including the Pitt Panthers.

Every 5-8 years or so, the HOF shows that they have been historically good at recruiting great talent. This year it was Jimbo Covert. Revis, Fitz and Donald to follow. There are only five schools with more honorees.

But at the same time, I am really annoyed that (with a couple of seasons in the seventies excepted) they have never been able to find a supporting cast that can make them anything more than a perennially mediocre team.

Doesn't matter what coach, AD, stadium, decade etc.

Yeah, PITT is pretty much average.  Not awful, but not championship level either.  Like the professional team in the area, they always lose to a team they have no business losing to.  What sucks is that they have a history of knocking off powerhouses in games they have no business winning!  To add insult to injury, it occurs in a year where they're going nowhere.  Though Pitt hasn't won double-digit games in nearly 40 years (should have in 2009).

Speaking of the stadium, I sorta wish people would stop wishing for an on-campus stadium to best help with their situation.  Sports or no, really anything, the most popular thing to best help in one's situation?  Winning.

Back to NFL.  Man, it looks like it's curtains for Cam Newton.  It was probably going to happen anyway.  I totally will have no issue if they name Mac Jones as the Week One starter.  If the former MVP can get it together, he can still contribute someway and somehow toward New England's quest to its 7th title.  Of course, Cam has the right to make his own decisions, but man, there are rules & protocols, and I guess I was a little surprised that Newton isn't really vaccinated

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Buffalo, is Cole Beasley worth it?  I mean really worth it?

After all Buffalo has Stephon Diggs.

Question: I'm watching Vikings/Kansas City game. The KC receiver caught the ball and while running, hung onto the face mask of the Vikings defender. Would that be a penalty? Also KC #40, not only did he tackle a receiver when both were out of bounds, he also head butted him. There was a penalty that time.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

After all Buffalo has Stephon Diggs.

Question: I'm watching Vikings/Kansas City game. The KC receiver caught the ball and while running, hung onto the face mask of the Vikings defender. Would that be a penalty? Also KC #40, not only did he tackle a receiver when both were out of bounds, he also head butted him. There was a penalty that time.

Yes, but did anyone taunt anyone else?  That's the real crime this year.  🙄

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, twoods said:

I’m sick of Beasley. Get him the fuck off the team I love- his me me me bullshit is going to ruin everything.

Not just everything, but the guy might ruin everybody!  In other words, with contract tracing and the passing along of whatever, he could impact other people and other teams, which could wreck the schedule.  While people are better off being vaccinated than not, coupled with the NFL rules & guidelines, someone that isn't vaxxed but did everything to avoid getting infected could cause an outbreak through no fault of his own.  It could lead to a forfeit, which is not cool.

OTOH, someone that is fully vaccinated could infect someone that isn't, but despite the possibility of following the rules, it could have a domino effect.  At the end of the day, it's a tricky spot; the players have the right to make a decision, and the league has the right to make the decision to control the conditions of the workplace.

I don't know whether Buffalo will have a ton to gain from keeping Cole Beasley around, mojoween.  Lamb18 is on point in that the Bills have Stefon Diggs.  However, Diggs is not immune to injury.  No one is; even Favre got hurt (albeit in somewhat of a lame duck season 11 years ago).  On the other hand, looks like a guy like Josh Allen can make everyone around him better.  I don't think they'd regret it from booting Beasley, but it would be bad business if they didn't check with the other 31 teams to see how they can profit from his ouster prior to a release

• Love 2

YES someone who IS vaxxed could be pass it on.   But someone who is NOT vaxxed is NOT doing everything they could to not be infected.   1) they are not getting vaxxed which is THE BEST defense against getting, 2) if they are on the field, they are not masking and social distancing.   They would be at fault for an outbreak because they are not stopping the vector.   Someone who is vaxxed is less likely to pass it on.

Also, the NFL make it MORE likely that on game day an unvaxxed person will be scratched at the last minute.   Daily testing for unvaxxed.   Vaxxed are only tested weekly.   Also, if you are unvaxxed and exposed, you have to quarantine for the full 10 days.   If vaxxed, you just have to have 2 negative tests and can go back.

So by being unvaxxed, you are messing with the entire team.   Being vaxxed makes that less likely.    This is not about choice, its about NOT fucking everyone else with being selfish.

• Love 8

While it may go without saying that Baltimore’s 20-game preseason winning streak is phenomenal, it should be acknowledged.  As unnecessary as the preseason is, it can tend to be underrated.

That being said, it likely seems important to the Ravens, but I don’t think they should have or needed to go all in to preserve it.  J.K. Dobbins didn’t need to play in the game, but based on the rather awful structure of this season’s schedule, I don’t think it’s a total big deal, either.  This final week of games was previously used for the league’s dress rehearsal; with the start of the season a couple weeks later, some teams didn’t want to have their starters out of action for 2 weeks.  Plus, I think the Ravens are a tad bit deep in terms of who they have within the run game.

Sucks for Dobbins, but I think Baltimore will be fine.

On a separate note, I think New England will be fine regardless of whether they start Cam or Mac.  Either decision Bill makes is no surprise.  IMO, I could see the Pats making the switch after their game against Tampa.  Or it could be made before then, if at all.  If I had to guess now, Tampa wins in Week Four if Cam starts for the Patriots, but they’ll lose if Mac starts for the Patriots when the two teams face off

9 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

Wow. Did not see that coming.  I know Mac Jones has looked good, but I wonder how much this Covid test fiasco factored in.

Probably a lot.  This year, the penalties are too high to allow a (presumably) unvaccinated player to muck things up.

• Love 4

I was about to add to / edit my post re: Covid.  I tweeted as much that the status of Cam's vaccine status is why it was pretty much a lock that Mac would get it.  I was surprised that it would lead to Newton's ouster right now.  In time it would be business as usual.  The move to kick him out is typical Patriots stuff, but based on the fact that Mac getting knocked out, especially if the Bucs defense gets to him, they're screwed without a QB to fill in

• Love 1
Just now, Carey said:

I was about to add to / edit my post re: Covid.  I tweeted as much that the status of Cam's vaccine status is why it was pretty much a lock that Mac would get it.  I was surprised that it would lead to Newton's ouster right now.  In time it would be business as usual.  The move to kick him out is typical Patriots stuff, but based on the fact that Mac getting knocked out, especially if the Bucs defense gets to him, they're screwed without a QB to fill in

I wonder if this is Belichick's way of trying to do Newton a solid--instead of making him a backup, he cuts Cam loose and lets him go pursue other potentially starting options. Newton has made it clear that he wants to be a starter still so. I say this mostly because you can't convince me the Pats are better off with Brian Hoyer as their backup than Newton, and with players that they clearly respect--and I do think Belichick respects Newton--they do try to treat them right.

Though I agree the Covid stuff can't have helped Cam's case at all. The best ability is availability.

• Love 6

Of course Belichek was going to release him after the Covid Protocols snafu.   Belichek wants guys who put the team first and are available to play.   Newton by NOT getting vaxxed made himself unavailable to play when he traveled out of the area.   This is not a surprise.

• Love 7

Agreed, stealinghome.  Letting Newton go is better than backing up Jones.  Didn't help that it's a Auburn guy being replaced by an Alabama guy!  The Covid stuff is bad for business, but people were saying that Mac was closing the gap even before the breach.

I think it's over for Cam.  Sure he can get a job somewhere, because there are a ton of awful QBs in the league (right now).  He probably will have to settle with a backup spot, but more important, he should be vaxxed.  The league has made it very clear that they will not tolerate anything that would lead to an outbreak and disrupt the season

• Love 2

The Packers sat about 30 players every week.  I think the only starters who played were the kickers.  

Were there any other teams who played basically no one? I remember it happening in the past for a game or two but not the whole season.

14 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Probably a lot.  This year, the penalties are too high to allow a (presumably) unvaccinated player to muck things up.

Right.  I think the player has to be a special talent to keep.  If they decided that Cam wasn't going to be the obvious starter, there's no point in keeping him.  It's not worth having an unvaccinated player in the QB room.

Vikings mostly played no one. Cousins did a couple of plays in the second game. In the third game he played a quarter, another qb played a quarter, and Kellen Mond played the second half. I'm pretty sure Mond will be the backup. Jefferson did not play preseason at all, neither did Harrison Smith or Kendricks. Theilen did a little bit.

In my opinion, the Pats decided to start Jones because even as a rookie, he tends to throw the ball nearer to his receivers than Cam did last year and from what I saw so far this year.

They released Cam because he's an Alpha personality who has never been a back-up and almost definitely doesn't want to/know how to be one. That's why they cut him as opposed to asking him to be the #2.  Also, the Patriots staff absolutely LOVE Cam, so releasing him rather than trading him was in respect to Cam. 

Yes, I do believe that many teams will opt to not even kick the tires on him because of his vaccination status. But more so, I think teams won't kick the tires on him because he doesn't fit the role of backup very well.  Should some team lose a starter, then I think that team will get over the vaccination status concern pretty quickly.

Cam will be awesome on TV when he's ready to move on from his playing days. 

• Love 3
On 8/31/2021 at 10:58 AM, merylinkid said:

Of course Belichek was going to release him after the Covid Protocols snafu.   Belichek wants guys who put the team first and are available to play.   Newton by NOT getting vaxxed made himself unavailable to play when he traveled out of the area.   This is not a surprise.

Hi...can y'all help me with some questions?
1) What happens if an unvaccinated player is on the official roster during the regular season?           Does the team automatically lose the game?
         Does the unvaccinated player lose his 1/17th salary?
2) Do the Pats still have Hoyer as their #2?
Thanks!