Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

To the surprise of less than nobody, the Texans have "ZERO" interest in trading DeShaun Watson.

Based on the Texans situation, and IMO as of right now, I think the next move for incoming players from the collegiate level is to avoid the draft / not enter it. Then the draft comes and goes and they would be a free agent. I think that cannot happen, but I haven't seen it yet.  In other words, I can recall a recent and rather modern situation where a human being that's good enough to be a high draft pick, says "No thanks!" and then post-draft, wants to / is ready to enter the league.

As for Watson, maybe just play the season, and turn the ball over a lot more than Jameis and crush Houston

Pretty sure if you skip the draft, you can aren't a free agent.   You have to enter the draft next year.   Otherwise Eli Manning would have done that.   He was NOT going to the Chargers.   If they hadn't done the deal with the Giants he was prepared to sit out the year and try again the next year.   I remember there was some talk a few years ago about a player skipping the draft and all the analysists saying you can't do that.  teams are not allowed to sign them.   Rookie undrafted free agents are players who WERE unavailable to be drafted but weren't in the 7 rounds.  

You think the NFL is going to let PLAYERS control where they go as rookies?

17 hours ago, Carey said:

To the surprise of less than nobody, the Texans have "ZERO" interest in trading DeShaun Watson.

Considering they just hired David Culley, the 'mastermind' of the Ravens' basic-as-fuck passing game, as their head coach, DeShaun Watson should be looking to get the NFLPA to step in and get him the fuck out of Houston. Culley only had a job with the Ravens because he's John Harbaugh's buddy from their Philly days. He's got a proven track record of failing.

That organisation has pissed away anything good they ever had, and Watson forcing his way out, only for them to then waste the draft picks they get for him, would be the crowning moment.

I saw someone suggest the Giants should offer Jones plus three first round picks for him, and that's a bloody good deal for both sides.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

Wow how crappy does Goff feel right now? They want to dump you so bad that they give up two future first round picks and your ass. I’m sure Stafford is going to do well in McVay’s system.

Edited by twoods

The NFL is determined to be annoying.  There was a crawl on the NFL Network that said “Tom Brady is the only QB to beat Mahomes in the playoffs”.  

Stahhhhhhhp.

And if we’re going to use inaccurate stats, that defensive lineman from the Chiefs is the one who beat Mahomes in the 2018 AFC Championship Game.

• Love 5
On 1/29/2021 at 6:28 PM, merylinkid said:

Pretty sure if you skip the draft, you can aren't a free agent.   You have to enter the draft next year.   Otherwise Eli Manning would have done that.   He was NOT going to the Chargers.   If they hadn't done the deal with the Giants he was prepared to sit out the year and try again the next year.   I remember there was some talk a few years ago about a player skipping the draft and all the analysists saying you can't do that.  teams are not allowed to sign them.   Rookie undrafted free agents are players who WERE unavailable to be drafted but weren't in the 7 rounds.  

You think the NFL is going to let PLAYERS control where they go as rookies?

Bernie Kosar was able to engineer his way to the Browns by circumventing the draft in 1985, but they may have closed the loophole.  First, he managed to get his degree in 3 years and had already graduated.  Then, he didn't sign up for that year's draft and, since he had 2 years of collegiate eligibility remaining, he couldn't be forced.  Once he missed the deadline for registering for the draft, all he had to do was forfeit his eligibility and he was able to enter a special supplemental draft since he already had his degree and was no longer enrolled at Miami.  Several teams complained, but Pete Rozelle let it go and the Browns then traded draft picks with Buffalo who had the first pick and he was a Brown.  Supposedly Bernie and his father figured out how to do it.  However, it would only work with a player who has already graduated and who still has some eligibility remaining.  I expect the league wouldn't allow it these days.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

The NFL is determined to be annoying.  There was a crawl on the NFL Network that said “Tom Brady is the only QB to beat Mahomes in the playoffs”.  

Stahhhhhhhp.

And if we’re going to use inaccurate stats, that defensive lineman from the Chiefs is the one who beat Mahomes in the 2018 AFC Championship Game.

I'm pretty certain that if you told TPTB at that network that Marcus Mariota was truly the first and only QB to beat Mahomes in regulation, you'd get a shoulder shrug meme/emoji/gif/whatever.  At the very least.  A backup version of Patrick Mahomes against an opposing quarterback is just as ineffective as a starter version of Patrick Mahomes against an opposing quarterback named Tom Brady.  It's true!  Pat doesn't play defense

• Love 1
On 1/30/2021 at 11:11 PM, AimingforYoko said:

You know Goff was the last 1st round pick LA had? And will have had for the foreseeable?

I read somewhere that the Rams won't have another 1st round pick until 2024. Goff was drafted in 2016. That's a long time to go without a 1st round pick.

Well, it's finally Super Bowl week.  BTW, I'm with mojoween and ChitChat as it relates to Super Bowl talk, as of last week.  I might get into that later, but after months and months of football, there was no need to listen to any NFL talk two weeks before gametime.  Personally I'm worn out in terms of football.  No, I'm not saying I'm sick of it.  I think it's just the time of the year that I'm really to be done with it, and then half a year later, ready for its return.

Over the past week, I mentioned Detroit as being a dumpster fire of a franchise.  Things suck for Jared Goff anyway, and this is adding insult to injury.  The kid seems like a nice guy.  While I’m not optimistic for him turning it around, maybe another scene might work.  Not really optimistic for the new head coach either, but it is a new direction for the Lions and not Matt Patricia being there.

Speaking of Patricia, man did the Patriots screw their situation up!  Matt Stafford saying no thank you to a winning culture in New England just because Patricia returned there says something about the past three seasons in Detroit.  On the other hand, I hardly think Belichick wanted him anyway.  

Given the current era of the NFL, I can’t fault the Rams for going without a first-round pick for most of a decade period of time.  You have to get your QB when you can.  However, that is way too long to be going year to year without a first-round pick.  It’s imperative to make your team the best they can be.  I would hate for Los Angeles to completely blow this during the best years of Aaron Donald.  AD’s eleventh season comes when LA finally gets a first-round pick, unless McVay trades that away for someone down the road.

One thing that I admire about New England is that they annually picked outside the first 25.  Well, within the past decade.  However, somehow Bill and company were clever and smart enough to either trade up or acquire picks before their original selection to maintain their success.  That’s something LA is not doing well at all.  As mentioned, they needed a QB, but it sucks that it was not a successful one

I feel bad for Goff going to the Lions.   They are TRYING to turn around the culture.   But they are trying by doing the same things over and over.   

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

This is just another one of those trades where no one knows for sure how it will turn out until they see what the Lions do with the draft picks that they have received in the deal.  I do think the Lions have gotten the better end of the deal so far.  For the Rams to go that long without any first round picks is a big deal.   I don't think the Rams acquiring Stafford will be enough to bring them a SB ring.  As far as QBs go, I consider him vastly overrated.   Better than Goff?  Sure.   That said, Goff will have another opportunity to prove himself.  That isn't a bad thing.  

How will the picks turnout?   They will screw them up as usual.   It's the Lions.

Having no first round picks for years is going to hurt the Rams badly.   They don't have anything they can package up to move up either.   Sure the picks are 50/50 but you need quality players AROUND your QB.   They can't trade for anyone either -- no good picks to do it with.   They are going to have to make all their moves in free agency.   Which I am not sure they have the cap space to do much there.   

Hi guys, I have Game Pass and I'm watching Vikings games starting in 2009 through 2020. Can you recommend any other good, exciting, or excitingly crappy games to watch?. Vikings are 2-0 so far in 2009. Favre's first season there,  Stafford's first season at Detroit. Antoine Winfield Sr is playing for Vikings. 

Edited by Lamb18
11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Six years ago on this date was the second worst Super Bowl OF ALL TIME (sorry, nothing will ever be worst than XXXV).

RUN THE BALL, PETE.

Why bother thinking about what happened on this date SIX years ago, when you can think of what happened on this date TWELVE years ago?!  Maybe xaxat will agree (or not)!

For a second, mojoween, I thought your post read as 25 and not 35.  Coming from you, I was shocked for a second and then saw three X's, not two X's.

IMHO, the only way 35 is the worst is if you remove XXX from NFL history

• Love 1

Super Bowl XXX was bad, but I hate both of them and the game ended quickly so eh.  Nothing good can ever come from rooting for Pittsburgh.

43 was gross too. 

In the hierarchy for SB I am aware of (it starts at XX) 35 was the WORST, then 49, then 51, then 48 (I think? The one where Peyton was pasted by Seattle), then fuck the Cowboys and Pittsburgh and oh yeah the blackout in New Orleans sucked too and also I cried when Joe Montana helped beat Cincinnati the second time.

Edited by mojoween
19 minutes ago, grommit2 said:

Wow.  Houston Texans were 11-5 in 2018, 10-6 in 2019.  Made the playoffs in both years.
Then in 2020, they fell off to 4-12.  Gadzooks! What happened to cause such a drop off?

I believe it's a combination of losing Hopkins and starting off with several very good teams to go 0-4.  The AFC South also had to face the AFC North (who was really good this year) and the NFC North (slightly above average this season)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Carey said:

Maybe xaxat will agree (or not)!

The blocking on that play is a thing of beauty.

https://youtu.be/uYtxoNgvIFI

When the various leagues started play in 2020 with intense and rigorous testing, proximity meters, contact tracing etc. I hoped that they would put their data to the public good. The NFL did. The NFL’s Covid-19 Finding That Saved the Season

The safety of interactions during this global pandemic had been for months measured by a stopwatch and a tape measure. The guidance was that someone had been exposed to the virus if they had been within six feet of an infected person for more than 15 minutes. It was drilled into everyone for so long it became coronavirus gospel. 

But that wasn’t proving true during the NFL’s outbreaks. People were testing positive for the virus even though they had spent far less than 15 minutes or weren’t within six feet of an infectious person—and the league had the contact-tracing technology to prove it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

In the hierarchy for SB I am aware of (it starts at XX) 35 was the WORST, then 49, then 51, then 48 (I think? The one where Peyton was pasted by Seattle), then fuck the Cowboys and Pittsburgh and oh yeah the blackout in New Orleans sucked too and also I cried when Joe Montana helped beat Cincinnati the second time.

I will hate Joe Montana until the day I die for breaking my ten-year-old heart that day.

Watching Peyton get his ass whooped made me laugh and laugh, though.  That was a great day. #memories

XLIX was the absolute best, though.  I don't think I've screamed more heterosexually than I did that day.  God, that game was amazing.

They say the greatest game ever played is, was, and always will be the Colts vs the Giants in 1958.

Superbowl XXV is the greatest Super Bowl ever played.  My favorite, and it will be forever.

18 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

Jared Goff signed a guaranteed contract for $110 million.

I don't feel bad for him.

Not even a little bit.

That is fair enough.  To defend myself, I never said I felt bad for him; I just said it sucks for him.

On the other hand, it shouldn't suck, and there are 110 million reasons why. 

Or 109; money can't buy happiness in Detroit.

The Superbowl 43 blocking was phenominal.  That catch at the end wasn't even "The Catch" but seeing that around this time over the past 12 years gets better with time.  Probably the only thing people will remember in Holmes short career.

Speaking of remembering anything, maybe Jimmy Johnson remembered that Bruce Arians, not Bill Belichick, will be on the sidelines opposite Andy Reid on Sunday

• Love 1

Because I am stupid interested in stuff like this, I googled some young NFL players and discovered that DK Metcalf’s dad, who played in the NFL from 2000-2010, is 43 years old.

Come on.  He’s been retired for 11 years, but played with Tom Brady, and is the same age as Tom Brady.  If Tom Brady were a randy teenager, he could be the dad of SO MANY current NFL players.

Super Bowl XXV was AMAZING, but I’ll never forgive Buffalo for how they treated Scott Norwood.

Last night on the NFL Networks Super Bowl Opening Night show they had an interview with Sarah Thomas, the first female ref in a Super Bowl.   She said her little girl for a school assignment said when she grows up, she wants to be "a mom, a teacher and a referee just like my mom."   I teared up at that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

You know Adam Schefter is a big fuckin' deal when this story broke (NFL Network) at the beginning of the week, and yet Schefty gets credit for it as if it was developing until Wednesday when it would only become an official story because ESPN "broke the news"

Edited by Carey
The Rap Sheet Source
  • Love 1

ESPN is dragging out the Pats beat reporter asking how Pats fans feel about Brady in the Super Bowl with another team and The Cult of Brady is weird, man.

I don’t remember Super Bowl week interviews in Indianapolis when Peyton took Denver to the SB for the first time.

What's different between Indianapolis and New England is that the Colts only made it twice during Manning's tenure, whereas the Patriots were there 9 times with Tom.

Speaking of Peyton, to the surprise of no one, he'll be headed to Canton.  David Baker didn't wait until Saturday to give him the good news.

Totally have no problem with the super obvious getting the nod ahead of everybody else.  I think they did this with Favre.  FWIW, the voters had decided their 2021 Hall of Fame class a couple weeks ago (likely due to no one being in Tampa Bay for the Super Bowl this year)

• Love 1
9 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Pat Mahomes was in line (along with a bunch of other Chiefs) to get a haircut from a barber that tested positive for Covid.

That's the nightmare scenario for the NFL, to make it this far only to get tripped up by a barber.

You would think they would wait for the test results BEFORE starting the hair cuts.   It's a hair cut guys it can wait (said the person who is about to celebrate her 1 year anniversary of her last haircut)

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

ESPN is dragging out the Pats beat reporter asking how Pats fans feel about Brady in the Super Bowl with another team and The Cult of Brady is weird, man.

I don’t remember Super Bowl week interviews in Indianapolis when Peyton took Denver to the SB for the first time.

Oh its worse.   They are interviewing players who played for the Pats in the years they DIDN'T go to the Super Bowl to see what is like for them to explain they played with Brady and no, they don't have a ring.   

Can we get some stories from Eagles players who didn't get a ring with Andy Reid but now he is doing back to back Super Bowls (with a QB who won't puke during the 2 minute drill like the last time he coached against Brady in the Super Bowl)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2021 at 6:08 AM, mojoween said:

Super Bowl XXV was AMAZING, but I’ll never forgive Buffalo for how they treated Scott Norwood.

iirc, didn't Thomas fumble twice? I can't stand when a game in any sport comes down to one single play, as if the 99.9% of the rest of the game didn't matter. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

The most surprising thing about the haircut thing was that Mahomes would have to wait in any sort of line behind his teammates. You'd think he'd have automatic right to cut in front.

Mahomes was slated to be at the front of the line, but he found out Kilgore was only getting the Rodgers Rate, and not the Patrick Prize.  As a result, Pat was content on waiting in line

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Jimmy G doesn't count?

That's a fair point.

That said, even though Jimmy G started games as the Patriots QB, I never thought of him as the starter.

In any case, here's an even more devastating bit of news. Break down Super Bowl sites into 3

1. States that belonged to the Confederacy during the Civil War,

2. States that belonged to the Union during the Civil War, and

3. States that were admitted after that he Civil War

Tom Brady is

5 - 0 in former Confederate states

0 - 2 in Union states and

1 - 1 in post-Civil War states

Sunday's game is being played in a former Confederate state.

Edited by Constantinople
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

don’t remember Super Bowl week interviews in Indianapolis when Peyton took Denver to the SB for the first time.

We were delighted!  Colts fans were thrilled for him.  

• Love 1

According to the warrant Reid told an officer he had a few drinks and took some prescription Adderall.  If that's true then he deserves every sort of punishment that's coming to him.  I'd say he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, but I'd expect nepotism to help him get a slap on the wrist.

• Love 11

This was posted on Twitter before the news about Britt Reid came out.   It was more in the context of why black coaches aren't getting chances at HC.   But it applies to Reid too:

Eterrc8XEAM_p-J.thumb.png.338d92b3576d66e7d31ab77e6d52b355.png

I was also thinking that if the Chiefs had gone to Tampa for a normal Super Bowl week he wouldn't have been driving.   But because they stayed in KC he was doing his normal routine.    

My first thought is for the family of that child.    But, I have to admit my second thought is "If this distracts the Chiefs and they don't beat Tom Brady I am going to be PISSED."

• Love 3

I have mixed football loyalties today.  I was sad to hear that Jim Leonhard declined the offer to be the next Packers defensive coordinator.  However, as a Wisconsin Badgers football fan, I was delighted to hear that Defensive Coordinator JIm Leonhard will be remaining with Wisconsin after declining an offer to go to the NFL.  

It would suck if Kansas City didn't win over the distractions.  OTOH, people might discredit Tampa Bay winning due to those distractions.  Not being near RJS is an excuse.  The Chiefs have been at home everytime during the Patrick Mahomes Era, it's a bad thing, this tragedy.  It would've been nice if it didn't happen at all, but that could've happened two or three weeks ago.  Just a bummer that it's Super Bowl Week.  Given the haircut thing, I wonder if they would've been distracted in Tampa more.  And that is surprising given the fact that they are still the champs.

Yeah, I’m going with Tampa for the win tomorrow.  I made my mind up to stick with the Buccaneers yesterday, well before the Reid stuff happened.  Actually, I really sided with the Bucs the evening of and morning after the Conference Title Games.  Much like the previous two games, I didn’t feel the need to go on the record.  There was 2 weeks for anything to happen.

Eric Fisher is missing in action.  Tampa’s D-Line would have been good enough to get home even with Fisher.  Kansas City’s defense is pretty good, but I don’t know if you can stop TB12 and company for 60 minutes.  The Chiefs are the defending champion, but there a guy who’s 30-40 hours away from holding more rings than every franchise in the sport.  Well, Super Bowl rings.  I don’t know for sure if Green Bay has 9 rings prior to Season 47.  Brady has championship experience and has the ability to spread that amongst his players.

Not sure if Mahomes is 100 percent;  if that toe injury is not a thing, then that may be a different story. 

I’m hoping for a good game, but I think Tampa Bay might need to try to win by 21 in order to survive against a team that can score in a hurry.  The Bucs defense is underrated though; while I think the Chiefs will lose, I just don’t know by how much.  It’ll be either 49-9 or 49-18. Just my opinion