Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

As a Bill's fan, I was thinking I was suddenly watching hockey instead of football and honestly didn't think much of it when it happened. However, hindsight I get that it is upsetting but they (we?) had a really good season and got further then I honestly remember being. I was a four when they played in the superbowl and do not remember it.

Anyhow, besides that I thought that the Bills played pretty good considering the chiefs are just a better team. They really only lost once this season, game 17 doesn't count as they didn't play their star people. Now, I really hope the Chiefs and take down Brady. I serious am sick of that guy and wish he was would finally let someone else play. And I still think it's unfair that they get a home game for the superbowl. Anyhow, good game Chiefs.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, twoods said:

Their last meeting this season was a great game so I’m guessing the SB is going to be great as well. Better on mute so we don’t hear all the Brady ass kissing.

Great season Buffalo but you got to keep your cool. I know they are hurting and the Chiefs players were egging them on but come on. 

No need to mute the TV, when you've got Westwood One starring Kevin Harlan and Kurt Warner!

Similar to Cleveland, great year for Buffalo, I agree.  They both were trending that way over the past few years, and both lost to the champ in Arrowhead.  The Bills will get their shot at Brady (if he returns for a 22nd NFL season); it just won't be until the 2021 season at Raymond James Stadium.

Speaking of hurting, that's what Mahomes will be on February 8th as offensive lineman Eric Fisher is hurt to where he probably will not be available for the game in a couple of weeks.  I may have an idea and will decide before the day of the game, but there's no reason to post who I think will win with a couple weeks before gametime.  I somewhat thought that it would've been a pick em but unless you bet your life on the game, no one cares about that; it's all about what happens on the field.

I don't think Pat will get blasted if all goes well.  However, losing Fisher is a significant loss for Kansas City against a team that embarrassed Aaron Rodgers and the Packers

Ugh. Brady is going to the Super Bowl. Again for the 10th time. And I really hate how the commentators are literally salivating of Brady at the Super Bowl and the Buccaneers hosting it Florida (eye roll). They must love the narrative of Tampa Bay as the home team hosting the Super Bowl with their team and Brady.  Why do the NFL worship Brady so much?

• Love 4

Sorry, but seeing Josh Allen throw that football that doinks off the Chiefs defender's helmet made me laugh, even though it's poor sportsmanship. I didn't really catch what KC was doing, but I do like to see a team passionate about the game and not skipping around, saying "Hello best friend!" to the opposition.  I think KC knocked Allen down after the whistle was blown.  On the other hand I don't like seeing them throw punches and it was getting close to that.

Congratulations to KC even though I'd rather Bills won. 

Lots of State Farm commercials today! I did see a couple of Progressive ones.

• Love 4
Just now, Lamb18 said:

Lots of State Farm commercials today! I did see a couple of Progressive ones.

Including a rerun of the one that ran last year either in Week 17 or the Wildcard weekend.  I'm talking about the one with Baker's wife having him turn the lights off.  In the stadium, and out they go, "See you next season!"

Saw a ton more Mahomes commercials.  Sucks that we couldn't get the State Farm Bowl, but if they do add a 17th game, I think we definitely see it in 2021.  The plan is either to have a division face whoever they played against in 2019 (for example, the AFC West played the NFC North).  That or the conference placement (I.e. Packers vs. Chiefs and Ravens vs. Buccaneers)

3 hours ago, Carey said:

No need to mute the TV, when you've got Westwood One starring Kevin Harlan and Kurt Warner!

Speaking of my favorite announcer ever...

Kevin was the Chiefs' play-by-play guy in 1993, when Joe Montana went down hard in Orchard Park and we lost the AFCCG to the Bills and my heart broke into so many pieces that it took the Royals in 2015 and the Chiefs in 2020 and...well, beating Buffalo in an AFCCG, to put me back together again.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Sorry, but seeing Josh Allen throw that football that doinks off the Chiefs defender's helmet made me laugh, even though it's poor sportsmanship.

I thought it was funny too. And I honestly would have done the same thing as Josh. It's childish but a really normal reaction. Honestly the guy deserved it lol. It wasn't like it was going to hurt him, he hit his helmet not the guy.

• Love 1

I really didn't have a problem with Allen hitting Okafor there.  It was a post-whistle hit where Kansas City got credit for the sack but then they completed the play.  It might have been unnecessary for the Chiefs to do that, but they were in the process of taking Josh down.  It was hilarious while unsportsmanlike for Josh to toss the ball at the guy's helmet, which led to the stare down, which led to chaos.  I think it's part of the frustration of getting pummeled topped with the Chiefs maybe sending a message to Tampa Bay.  At the end of the day it's not a big deal.  Nothing really unprecedented.  Glad no one got tossed & nothing happened.  The NFL likely will fine the violators and that'll be the end of it.  Even without it, Bills/Chiefs could be a nice rivalry in the coming years, definitely in 2021 and 2023.

Meanwhile, you can blame me if the Buccaneers win one week from Sunday.  I made mention/reference to that a while back (as did mojoween I think); it back in October around the time L.A. doubled up in championships.  I likely will be off the day after, but even if I'm working I hardly think that Brady winning again will wreck my day (let alone week, month and year). 

Personally, apart from winning and losing, I'll be relieved that the NFL would have officially completed the 2020 NFL Season within a pandemic, which several saw as doubtful-to-questionable.  Following the Superbowl I'll be able to get a little bit of a break, about a month or so for the most part at least, before Selection Sunday and the dance.  Similar to the final NFL game, I'm optimistic that the NCAA Tournament including the Final Four will make it through successfully, and that would be very special, given that March Madness was the first (and really only) casualty thanks to the pandemic

• Love 2
9 hours ago, redfish said:

Why do the NFL worship Brady so much?

I think winning 6 of 9 Super Bowl appearances speaks for itself.  😉   I just read an article in which they said that Brady was more of the motivating factor for players to go to New England rather than Belichick.  Hmm.   

9 hours ago, blueray said:

And I still think it's unfair that they get a home game for the superbowl.

The stadium has been booked for this Super Bowl for a long time.  It can't be changed due to the fact that the home town team won their conference.  It's just the way the ball bounces!   

The Bucs were motivated to get to the Super Bowl and to play it on their own turf.  I do think this will be a very competitive game, but if they don't fix some of their mistakes (missed catches mainly), then it will end badly for them.  The Bucs looked really good during the first half of the GB game, but unfortunately they let GB back into the game in the second half.  They're not going to be able to do that with KC.   I was proud of TB for winning on the road, especially in GB.   I have no illusions though that this game won't be another nail biter!  

For Mr. Chat and I, it's not so much about Brady as it is about the Bucs as a whole.  Love him or hate him, he's been good for our team, and as diehard Buc's fans, that's all that matters! We've suffered through too many losing seasons.  🙂 

• Love 5

Well, I guess I'm all in on the Chiefs again. Can't stand the thought of the infinite Brady polishing that's going to happen if the Bucs win. As though Brady has transformed the team rather than stepped into a team that was built to win - really good O-line, talented receiving corps and a defence that was solid even before it heated up in the playoffs. Yes, he's a great QB but the hyperbole is absurd. Put him on the Jets or the Jags and they'd still be struggling to get four wins.

Fair play to the Bucs for going all in and building this team that had one shot to win, with the likes of Brady, Suh, JPP and Fournette, but I hope they blow it.

As for Aaron Rodgers, he should get the hell out of Green Bay and try to do the same as Brady - find a team that's built for him to win now.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4

It would be funny if Vikings signed him, but I think they have too much invested in Kirk. I could see him going to LA.

I kind of want the Bucks to win because of Johnson and Murray. Just think of being a rookie and you go to the Super Bowl in your first season!

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

As for Aaron Rodgers, he should get the hell out of Green Bay and try to do the same as Brady - find a team that's built for him to win now.

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

It would be funny if Vikings signed him, but I think they have too much invested in Kirk. I could see him going to LA.

Maybe he could go to New England for a year, win there, and then 12 months will pass to where Kirk gets kicked out of Minnesota in favor of Rodgers.  That would be hilarious, I agree.  Unless Aaron is a free agent before 2021, I don't think he'll be playing in Chicago, Minnesota or Detroit (who needs a new QB now).

I too could see him going to L.A.  The Rams have the defense to win, and possibly the best defensive player in NFL history (not counting LT).  Though I wonder about San Francisco.  That would be interesting down there.  Seattle and Arizona are out, but the NFC West is the only division in the NFC that makes sense.  In the AFC, they're set at QB in the North (save for Pittsburgh, but that's a bad spot as they have a lot to address there with or without Roethlisberger).  The Steelers have the defense too, but no to that.  The Pats make the most sense.  The AFC South would be the end of Rodgers career, and the West? Nah.  Really, the AFC would not make too much sense unless it's imperative to go there in order to get to pick his next destination in 2022.  I think the NFC West is his best option.  At least for 2021.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he's back in Green Bay next season.  Sometimes the questions surrounding one's future is considered "in the moment" as the Packers fell victim to a painful loss at home to the rising Bucs.  I'd be less than that if he left, as it's gotten stale in Green Bay.  Looks like that window closed yesterday

My dad said he wants KC to win the Super Bowl because if TB wins, all the credit will go to Brady when there are a lot of good players on the team. Also Brady is not IT. My dad also likes Andy Reid, who he says shouldn't have been fired from Philadelphia. 

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1

Regarding Eric Bieniemy not getting hired, my first thought was that all the situations that opened were crappy, so he got the experience of the interview but was going to pass on them anyway.  And definitely to stay away from Houston and that particular dumpster fire.   Perhaps there is an understanding that he will take over for Andy in KC in 2 or 3 years when Andy retires.

Then, after yesterday and Aaron's throwing of Lefreur under the bus and driving it over him again and again, sports talk radio was speculating about Aaron asking for a trade.  No team could bite because he's making too damn much money.   So, my easy solution for Green Bay is to fire the coach, keep Aaron, and HIRE ERIC BIENIEMY as head coach!  Way cheaper to pay Lefleur to leave than Aaron!  Plus fans would kill management if Aaron left.

• Love 1

I had no doubt that KC would win, but I thought the Bills would put up more of a fight. Josh, and the whole team really, seemed a bit overwhelmed.

I was rooting for the Packers, but I failed to understand a lot of their choices yesterday. As for Brady, I hated him with the fire of 1000 suns when he was with the Pats. But with the Bucs, I surprisingly have come around to being able to appreciate his knowledge, skill and leadership. At least he gave the defense the credit for the win in the on field interview, and he declined to be the star of the trophy presentation and stepped into the background. See, I'm saying nice things about him?! He might be using Jedi Mind Trick on me.

At this point, I am just rooting for a competitive SB.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I think the chiefs repeat rather easily

The chiefs D was really getting after allen, I expect brady to face the same.   And he is not at all mobile.  

Cant believe the packers kicked the fg. Three playoff games where losses go straight back to playing too conservative.  Titans and steelers punting on 4th and short, packers with the fg. That's why everyone criticizing frank Reich for being so aggressive vs the bills I ignore.  I'd rather play to win and fail than play it safe and give the game away.  

I've been thinking about the generation of QBs now passing on to retirement and in retrospect, peyton mannings playoff career doesn't look bad at all despite all the crap he receives about failing in the playoffs.  He made 4 Superbowls and win 2, with two different teams.  Sure it's not as good as brady. But compared to brees (1 appearance 1 win), roethlisberger (3 with 2 wins), rodgers ( 1 and 1 win), rivers (none), eli (2 and 2 wins), others, he actually comes out second best of his ear in playoff wins and appearances. 

Also while it's disappointing colts only had two appearances and one win with manning, look at the packers.  29 years between rodgers and favre, three appearances and two wins.  And only one appearance and win in the last 23 years. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think the chiefs repeat rather easily

That's the thought I had at the end of the day yesterday as well. It's seemed like the NFC has been fighting for the team that was going to lose the Super Bowl all year, and I don't see any reason to change my mind about that now. Especially with the defending champs waiting for a pretty good Tampa Bay team in two weeks.

19 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I've been thinking about the generation of QBs now passing on to retirement

I was thinking about the same thing, but more about Rodger's career compared to a lot of other QBs. When I was listening to all the talk about the championship games last week, one thought kept going through my head: Aaron Rodgers threw for 4,300 yards, 48 TD, 5 INT, 70.7% completion rate this year. His team went 13-3 and he's going to win the MVP. He needs to carry this team on his back and do whatever needs to be done to win this game. He's that good. He can impose his own will on the game.

• Love 1

I dunno, I get that the Chiefs/Mahomes  are the favorites, (3 points sounds about right).   However their Offensive Tackle  Eric Fisher is out with an ACL and it looks like OT Swartz isn't returning for the Superb Bowl. so up in the trenches it will be interesting how the Buccaneers pass rush fares.  

6 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

I dunno, I get that the Chiefs/Mahomes  are the favorites, (3 points sounds about right).   However their Offensive Tackle  Eric Fisher is out with an ACL and it looks like OT Swartz isn't returning for the Superb Bowl. so up in the trenches it will be interesting how the Buccaneers pass rush fares.  

I heard it was a torn Achilles but it really doesn't matter: He will not be protecting Mahomes' blindside a week from Sunday.  Even if it was minor & he avoided serious injury, he would've have played anyway.  IMO, Tampa's defense is good enough to make the stops with or without Fisher.  Likewise, I imagine Mahomes being able to get his with a depleted O-Line.  Wisniewski's return following his release from Pittsburgh couldn't have come at a better time (or season, as it happened over a month ago).  Kansas City made adjustments on the line so it's not too bad.

I don't see the Chiefs blowing out the Buccaneers, but if they win, it'll likely be by single digits.  The Chiefs defense would have to produce a fleet of turnovers in order to win going away.  I assume that KC will make TB pay if they turn it over to them several times.  The game should come down to the end, and I don't know if I would bet on the Chiefs for the win if Mahomes has the ball last.  Pretty much every other time I would, but Tampa has the personnel to get the turnover.  A championship winning turnover that is!

10 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

My dad said he wants KC to win the Super Bowl because if TB wins, all the credit will go to Brady when there are a lot of good players on the team.

Brady will inevitably get a lot of praise from all of the sports writers/analysts, but us Bucs fans know that he is part of a team that already had some great players.  We do respect him for checking his ego at the door and for wanting to help them start winning again.  We're thrilled that the Bucs players were willing to do the same.  Not all NFL players are willing to take advice from other players, so knowing that our Bucs were all in on what Brady was willing to do for them really helped us to like Brady.  I'm also liking what I'm seeing from our coach, Bruce Arians. 

I'll admit that we were mostly having sour grapes in the past about Brady and NE always winning, and I thought he was a big baby about not wanting to get hit, but hey, that's how he stays healthy and able to play at his age!  He surrounds himself with a great O-line to protect him.  Nothing wrong with that!  Your QB isn't any good if he's laying on the ground still clutching the football!

I know that the Bucs have a tough game ahead of them.  There will be no room for mistakes.  Win or lose, I'm just happy that the Bucs are going in the right direction for a change.  It gives us hope for the future.  Something we haven't had in a very long time.  

• Love 2

Is Tom Brady the last of the really old-school, pocket-QB players? It seems as if the younger QB's like Mahomes are expected to be a lot more athletic and able to take the ball themselves if need be. 

Then again Tom Brady is 43. But I don't remember him ever being an athletic QB. 

I don't see much of an advantage to playing a "home" game in the Super Bowl. The stadium won't be full thanks to the pandemic. Even if it were most of the crowd wouldn't be Bucs fans. Perhaps it's an advantage for players to stay in their own homes, if in fact they do and aren't required to stay in whatever hotel the NFL already booked. Or perhaps it provides more distractions.

And the Rams weren't exactly playing on the road when they lost to the Steelers in the Rose Bowl in Super Bowl XIV.

4 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Is Tom Brady the last of the really old-school, pocket-QB players? It seems as if the younger QB's like Mahomes are expected to be a lot more athletic and able to take the ball themselves if need be. 

Well Rivers just retired, and he was one of the few other pure, pocket-passing QBs left in the league. Maybe Matt Stafford would count? I don't watch enough of the Detroit Lions (because who would?) to really know how mobile he is. Probably more mobile than Brady, who has always been stiff and slow.

The future of the position definitely lies with athletic guys who can also throw the ball really well - Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, DeShaun Watson, Kyler Murray etc. It's a natural evolution of the professional game, because the vast majority of college QBs are athletic and mobile, running option offenses. The NFL could keep fighting the tide and trying to turn those guys into pocket-passers, but it seems far more sensible to build your offensive game around their abilities instead.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, ChitChat said:

The stadium has been booked for this Super Bowl for a long time.  It can't be changed due to the fact that the home town team won their conference.  It's just the way the ball bounces!   

Tampa Bay is part of the regular rotation of sites for the Super Bowl because its in a warm climate.    The Super  Bowl this year was SUPPOSED to be played at SOFI in LA.   But there were construction delays and they were worried it wouldn't open on time for this season, so Raymond James became a last minute substitution.    Because of course, it would be substituted the year the home team has an actual chance at making it.

Even though Los Angeles was originally slated to host Super Bowl LV, as mentioned by ChitChat, Raymond James Stadium was booked to host it for quite awhile now.  Based off of the rules, the league doesn’t want first-year tenants hosting the big game.  It might be due to safety and assurance but the NFL would want to have a team playing in a new stadium to go through at least one full season before having them host the in the future.

For example, the 49ers played in Levi Stadium for the first time in 2014.  They hosted Super Bowl 50 a season later (2015 Season on 02/07/2016).  Other examples include the Vikings in playing at US Bank Stadium for the first time in 2016 and the Falcons playing at Mercedes Benz Stadium for the first time in 2017.  Respectively, US Bank and Mercedes Benz Stadiums hosted the big game the following years (2017 season on 02/04/2018 & 2018 Season on 02/03/2019).

Therefore, the move was done to stay consistent.  It actually was made official all the way back in May of 2017, prior to a couple more Superbowls for Tom Brady and when the Patriots were still rolling.  Nobody was dreaming of Bucs QB TB12 in 2017.

No conspiracy with this.  It’s just purely coincidental.  There were construction delays but that was an issue 4 years ago, not 4 months ago to benefit Tom Brady.  If Tampa wins, it’s because they were the better team.  FWIW, Kansas City did escape there in a legitimate road game earlier in the year.

The game would have been moved to Raymond James Stadium anyway given the nature of California.  Tampa was the runner up originally to host Super Bowl LV

• Love 3

An ESPN talking head vomited out “what Tom Brady has done these last two weeks, beating Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers ON THE ROAD...” and then I didn’t hear the rest because my head exploded.

No. No no NO.  The BUCS beat those TEAMS.  QB’s do not beat other QB’s, no matter how much the media wants wins to be a QB statistic.  ALSO the Bucs defense had a fuck of a lot to say about those wins that happened IN SPITE of Brady.

Day two of Super Bowl buildup and I am already over. it.

• Love 9

An ESPN talking head vomited out “what Tom Brady has done these last two weeks, beating Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers ON THE ROAD...” and then I didn’t hear the rest because my head exploded. I calmly turned the TV off.

I think I would've used the term that was used for Joe Flacco when he defeated Peyton Manning AND Tom Brady on the road 8 years prior.  Flacco out-dueled both of them.  And he did.  For Baltimore's case, that defense made Brady's life miserable, and in an unprecedented way.  He had a lead, albeit a very small one, and did nothing in the second half.  The amazing thing was that Flacco crushed a Belichick-owned defense while trailing in one half, also unprecedented.  At least Manning was able to score on the Ravens defense but Joe was just unstoppable.

I don't know whether I'll rank 2020 Brady over 2012 Flacco (or the reverse).  Either or is fair enough.  Flacco did it opposite better QBs, while Tom did so as a human being in his mid-40s.

Brady did enough to beat New Orleans, but Drew Brees sucked that game.  Meanwhile, Brady was able the same at Brees at Lambeau, but by default, he did enough to beat Green Bay.  It's not his fault Rodgers didn't capitalize, but I definitely have to thank the defense for that one.  To close, Brady didn't single-handedly beat the Saints & Packers, but he out-dueled them.  Definitely Brees but for Rodgers, Brady did more toward victory

Edited by Carey
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

An ESPN talking head vomited out “what Tom Brady has done these last two weeks, beating Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers ON THE ROAD...” and then I didn’t hear the rest because my head exploded.

No. No no NO.  The BUCS beat those TEAMS.  QB’s do not beat other QB’s, no matter how much the media wants wins to be a QB statistic.  ALSO the Bucs defense had a fuck of a lot to say about those wins that happened IN SPITE of Brady.

This is exactly why my dad does not want Tampa to win - it would all be about Tom Brady, win or lose.

I've been posting my dad's opinions lately. I just like hearing his perspective as he turns 95 on Friday and he's been a football fan since the 1940s. (He wanted to play football in high school but was too short and underweight.) He still has a sound mind and can remember things from way back.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Based off of the rules, the league doesn’t want first-year tenants hosting the big game.  It might be due to safety and assurance but the NFL would want to have a team playing in a new stadium to go through at least one full season before having them host the in the future.

That's actually surprisingly sensible where the NFL is concerned, imo. And it's not all that often you can say that about the league!

7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well Rivers just retired, and he was one of the few other pure, pocket-passing QBs left in the league. Maybe Matt Stafford would count? I don't watch enough of the Detroit Lions (because who would?) to really know how mobile he is. Probably more mobile than Brady, who has always been stiff and slow.

The future of the position definitely lies with athletic guys who can also throw the ball really well - Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, DeShaun Watson, Kyler Murray etc. It's a natural evolution of the professional game, because the vast majority of college QBs are athletic and mobile, running option offenses. The NFL could keep fighting the tide and trying to turn those guys into pocket-passers, but it seems far more sensible to build your offensive game around their abilities instead.

On the other hand, with the money invested in top tier QBs, protecting them from the injuries that could occur from a more mobile style of play is a concern, too.

I watch Blown Away, the glassblowing competition on Netflix. Stephen Weatherly of the Panthers appeared as a guest judge as he blows glass as a hobby.

He was fantastic as a judge. He didn't come off cocky. He had real insight into the art and the technique. The funniest bit was when the host asked him and I'm definitely paraphrasing, "If (professional judge) called your work too gift shop, how would you react?" He responded, "I would be thrilled because that would mean someone would want to buy something I made." It was absolutely charming.

Also, glassblowing is a cool hobby. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Comments like these always amuse me. Not because they're untrue, but compared to Drew Bledsoe, Brady was, if not Winged Mercury, at least someone who could move just a little.

• Love 4

I feel like this conversation re: end of the pocket passer happens every 10-12 years or so. I think there's always going to be need for being in pocket at times. Not that Brady is the epitome, and you can point to Montana against the Bengals too, but both of those drives required pocket passing just for the time factor alone. Same with Elway, and he moved better than those two. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

Even though our team is in the Super Bowl, we tune out all of the outside noise at this time.  There's too much speculation with too many analysts yapping on endlessly over a game that could go either way.  I give no weight to anything these so-called "experts" have to say.  I go by the saying of "any team can be beaten on any given day."  Most of the football analysts are just a bunch of blowhards anyway and just like to hear themselves talk.  There are so many things that can happen in a game that can't be predicted, so I say let the game begin and let the chips fall where they may!  

I feel this way every year at this time.  They all yammer on about the same things.  Sometimes it's best not to listen to them! 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Greg Olsen and Jason Witten (again) have both announced that they are retiring. Are we actually going to get a HOF ceremony featuring two tight ends?

I wouldn't bet on it.  On second though: maybe I will.  I'd add a Million off of a one-dollar bet in 2026.  Two tight ends, two quarterbacks, and a man of the year Canton bound

It's looking more and more likely that tight end Kyle Rudolph won't be back with Vikings next season, so it looks like there will be a good market for tight ends if he needs to look elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Cleveland with Stefanski. But Rudolph sure will be missed. He is a good guy and has done a lot of good in the community.

It makes sense that Andy Reid is in his 60’s, but it still surprises me to hear that.

Is that picture that circulates every so often of giant child Andy “Ried” at the punt/pass/kick competition in the 70’s real, or is the internet tricking me?

I feel bad for Bieniemy. It appears that his ceiling, for whatever reason, is the guy teams interview to satisfy the Rooney rule/please a disgruntled Black quarterback.

ESPN just ran an interview with Patrick Mahomes. He is looking more Sideshow Bob than ever!

Edited by xaxat

It does suck for Bieniemy, but I think I got over it in time.  Despite the final vacant spot being filled, it was probably for the better.  Who wants to go to a recent joke of a franchise?  While being a HC is a valid goal, going to Houston would have been being a coach just for the sake of being a coach.  Personally, outside of Jacksonville, there really wasn't any decent openings this year.

For what it's worth, the notion of "hiring the best candidate" is somewhat flawed.  I do support hiring the best, but while that is the case in several cases, it's a complete dumpster fire in the NFL.  The notion that NFL teams hire the best person possible is total crap, and I say that because so many teams lose game after game after game, and year after year after year.

Around this period next year (January 2022), there will be 20% head coaching vacancies, which is the norm.  It probably isn't going to be easy to argue the fact that a team took the best candidate when 6-8 coaches are let go, on average, and on an annual basis.

Who know whether Eric will be any good or get a fair chance.  If it's true that people are hiring or sticking to the best, then there shouldn't be that much turnover every season.  With the exception of 2012, owners have kicked out their coaches mid-season.

What sucks for Eric Bieniemy is that he's in a similar spot that Dan Quinn was 6 years ago.  Conference champion a year removed from being a Superbowl champion.  I don't think Quinn did a great job at all, but Atlanta was a much better vacancy and the Falcons had some success during his tenure.  Eric ain't getting that in Houston.  He might in Minnesota (or Chicago) in the future, but it's saddening right now.  This is typically when someone in Bieniemy's shoes would've gotten a spot as a HC

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

It is an amusing factoid (perhaps only to me) that Tom Brady graduated high school in June 1995 and Patrick Mahomes was born in September 1995.

It's not just you.  A similar comment was made two years ago with Jared Goff being born during Tom Brady's senior year

9 hours ago, Carey said:

does suck for Bieniemy, but I think I got over it in time.  Despite the final vacant spot being filled, it was probably for the better.  Who wants to go to a recent joke of a franchise?  While being a HC is a valid goal, going to Houston would have been being a coach just for the sake of being a coach.  Personally, outside of Jacksonville, there really wasn't any decent openings this year.

You are so right.   But, he didn't even get interviewed for the dumpster fire.   They could have interviewed him on the bye week.   Their disgruntled black qb asked them to.   They did not.   Then when their disgruntled qb went public with his disgruntlement, they said "Oh wait we will interview him after all."   Except they would have to wait until after the Super Bowl now.   Which they didn't.   they hired Culley who was not on ANYONE's HC radar.   

Did Bieniemy dodge a bullet there by NOT getting offered the job?   Sure.   But if you can't even get interviewed by the dumpster fire team that says something is SERIOUSLY flawed.

As for HC's getting fired each year because of ... reasons.   It's not that they aren't hiring the best.   Tony Dungy got the Bucs to the playoffs every year.   But he was let go.   Because he just couldn't get the team over the hump for some reason.   It wasn't Dungy because he went on to win a Super Bowl with the Colts.   And the Bucs won a Super Bowl with the next coach (who had the other team's signals because he coached them the year before and they didn't bother to change a damn thing).   Sometimes, its just a coach has been there too long and its time to try something new.   Even if the coach is good.   Getting a new coach gets players to rethink things and try something in a different way that may work better for the composition of that particular team.   Playcalling gets stale (hello steelers, packers under McCarthy, a HOST of other teams).  New playcalling wipes off the dust.    But yes, some teams are gonna suck at hiring no matter what.   Lions, Jets, now Houston.  

• Love 3

Those of you who know tons about football, who would be a good replacement for Kubiak as OC for the Vikings? They really loved him there and the offense learned so much from him. It would be nice to have someone who has a similar style and philosophy, and is a decent human being who can continue building what Kubiak started. 

14 hours ago, Carey said:

The notion that NFL teams hire the best person possible is total crap, and I say that because so many teams lose game after game after game, and year after year after year.

That's because they're hiring the safest choice and not the best candidate. Owners want to just float above water to keep fans buying tickets and merch and hope the team catches a break and gets into the playoffs. If it doesn't happen soon enough they try the next guy. 

If an organization was really invested in building a contender they'd really hire the best or take a chance on a high risk-reward guy and give him 5 years at least. 

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Tony Dungy got the Bucs to the playoffs every year.   But he was let go.   Because he just couldn't get the team over the hump for some reason. 

I think that's different than the norm though. I'd be hard pressed to say that the Bucs wouldn't have won that year with him as the coach. They maybe wouldn't have crushed the Raiders - that was due to Gruden knowing all the plays - but that defense was designed by Dungy. Maybe the organization could have gone out and gotten him a decent QB over his run there and he might have won a title.