Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

You guys got the fun game you wanted.

Hubby said that when the Texans kicked the field goal instead of going for it on 4th that decision would lose the game for them, and he’s right. He also predicted 28-24 at the half about 10 minutes ago and he’s probably right. Unbelievable.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Wow, I went out for a walk when it was 24-0 and just got home and the Chiefs are driving for the go ahead score?  WTF?  

The Packers have more players questionable due to illness than injury - I sure hope they've been dipping the two Aarons, Z Smith, Adams, and a few others in disinfectant before, during, and after practice.  

The Browns hiring Vikes OC Stefanski?  Isn't this the guy the Vikings almost fired last year?  

23 minutes ago, twoods said:

Hubby said that when the Texans kicked the field goal instead of going for it on 4th that decision would lose the game for them, and he’s right.

I don't think that's going to cost them the game.  I'm still holding firm to my opinion is that it was going to be in how they handled  a switch in momentum.  KC is a talented team for a reason.  It was unlikely they were going to keep shooting themselves in the foot which is the main reason the Texans had such a lead.  If it wasn't the run back, it would have been something else.

Instead of calmly accepting that the run back was just well played by KC, the coach tightened up and started questioning his decisions and he tried to "make up" for not going for it on 4th & 1 by going for it on his own side of the field. While I think going for it on 4 & 1 and kicking a field goal are equally smart decisions, I don't think going for it on 4th down on your own side of the field is anywhere near as smart as going for it on 4 & 1 on the opposition's 10 yard line. The coach treated them as equal and gave KC a boost.

And then they fumbled.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, emma675 said:

This KC/Houston game is so fun but OMG SHUT UP ROMO. Ugh, I cannot stand him.

Damn system limitations not allowing me to like this a bazillion times.

The metaphor for a team sucking ass is that they threw up all over themselves.

Kansas City threw up all over themselves like a baby trying solid food for the first time.

Houston threw up all over themselves like Davey Hogan AND the entire audience.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

The Browns hiring Vikes OC Stefanski?  Isn't this the guy the Vikings almost fired last year?  

No, last year Vikings fired the then OC John de Filipo and appointed Stefanski the interim OC for the rest of the 2018 season. After the season was over, Stefanski interviewed at Cleveland, Kittens got the job, then the Vikings hired him as OC.

• Love 1

I try to make it to one pro football game per year with my dad. We both pull for the Panthers since that’s our home team. My dad is a long time Redskins fan since childhood so ideally I try and get tickets for Panthers vs Skins. That didn’t work out this year so we went to the Titans game where the Panthers won. Since my most hated teams are out (Pats and Saints) I’m really pulling for the Titans to make it all the way! Tennessee is like 20 minutes from me so they are almost a “home” team. I couldn’t believe they pulled out the win last night! 

We were under sever weather warnings all night and the local weather station was complete bullshit. Like, couldn’t even watch the game. They did do a split screen for part of the game but the announcers were muted so all you could hear was the weather report. They had their asses handed to them on Facebook for what it’s worth. 

I totally thought the Texans had the win this afternoon. Can’t believe the turn of events in that game!

ETA: I’m looking forward to the Redskins next season with Rivera as coach. I don’t follow college ball so have no clue who Rhule is but I feel like the Skins got the better deal there. Now, what are the Panthers going to do about QB? I swear if it’s Brady- I quit!

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 3

Packers get screwed by the officials 5 minutes into the game - what a joke the NFL is.  Not sure why they lost the TO because they ruled it WAS a fumble.  No clear recovery my ass.  DId they bring back the officials from the Fail Mary?  

21 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Packers get screwed by the officials 5 minutes into the game - what a joke the NFL is.  Not sure why they lost the TO because they ruled it WAS a fumble.  No clear recovery my ass.  DId they bring back the officials from the Fail Mary?  

Right?!? I thought the same thing!  You SAID it was a fumble, so the challenge was valid.  Dumb refs.

Edited by mojoween
37 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

So do all us 49ers fans.

Thanks for reminding me to root more for Seattle than Green Bay. It's a shame one of them has to lose. 

All I want is no Niners in the Super Bowl. If it's Niners/Chiefs, I will boycott. Or root for stadium implosion. 😁

• Love 2

I am glad that Jimmy Johnson was selected to the Hall of Fame. It's nice to see how emotional and grateful he is to be in there. It's also nice to see how happy all of his colleagues are for him too. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 8

Just watched Jimmy Johnson being told he was going to the Hall.  I am still bawling.    So so deserved.    

He deserved to get in before that MF Jerry Jones.   They won because of Coach, not the stupid ass GM.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I cannot even lie...I thought FOX was fucking with Jimmy Johnson after what CBS did for Cowher yesterday.

Also I thought Jimmy was already in the HOF.

I thought he already was in the HOF too.  Kind of like when I see some death announced in the In Memoriam thread and my first thought is "He was still alive?  I thought he died years ago!"

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Just watched Jimmy Johnson being told he was going to the Hall.  I am still bawling.    So so deserved.    

He deserved to get in before that MF Jerry Jones.   They won because of Coach, not the stupid ass GM.

I got weepy when I saw Troy Aikman with tears in his eyes watching it all. Happy for him.

Fucking Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, twoods said:

Fucking Aaron Rodgers.

Gee. I wonder who FOX is going to root for in the NFC Championship Game next Sunday.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Unlike Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson deserved to be in the Hall of Fame. 

• Love 2

As a lifelong Packers fan now living and raising my son in KC....dam what a day!  That was a good time.  And I get to do it all over again tomorrow when my 🐯 face Clemsux for the Natty.   Needless to say, “dry January” went out the door at about 4:00 this afternoon.  🙄.  Pray for me y’all.....this is wearing me smooth out!  🤣

• Love 1

Dammit!

Graham no more got that first down than I did, but I knew when Seattle didn't make the two-point conversion to make it a FG game, they were not going to come back and win.

I don't know who to root for in the NFC championship.  If Clay Matthews was still in Green Bay, I'd probably root for the Packers, but I've always liked the Bears, so that also always feels a little weird.  I love that the 49ers have Katie Sowers on staff, but, come on - I'm a Rams and Seahawks fan and I'm gonna root for San Francisco?  Plus I'm still mad about Kaepernick (although that's directed at the league as a whole, not just SF).

But whoever wins both championships, the Super Bowl will not contain a team I hate, which will be really nice.  Even if I don't have one of "my" teams in to well and truly root for, I don't have anyone to root against, either, no one whose victory would piss me off.  I will just enjoy the game.

• Love 6

These playoffs have been very enjoyable. A lot of good teams involved and a lot of entertaining/interesting football has been played. I would be happy for any of the remaining teams if they won the Super Bowl. And honestly felt that way after the Patriots were eliminated, lol. 

And there is also a nice mixture of storylines connected to things like QB's and coaches left. Regarding, QB's Aaron Rodgers is the seasoned veteran who's won before and wants to add another championship to his legacy, Patrick Mahomes is the young star and reigning MVP, Jimmy Garappolo is trying to solidify himself as a QB after sitting for a few years and then being out with injury. And Ryan Tannehill is someone who people had given up on after he left Miami and started out as the Titan's backup this year.

And for the coaches you have seasoned Andy Reid, trying to get a SB win that has eclipsed him, Matt LeFluer and Kyle Shanahan as the young coaches trying to make a splash, and Mike Vrabel, who probably wasn't really on a lot of people's radars. Until the second half of this season/postseason. And has his underdog team playing well. 

There are some interesting stories here and I'm looking forward to the Conference Championships next week. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I think Graham was short. His helmet touched the yellow line and his arm with the ball was a foot behind that. 

If he was, it's a push, because the Pack got hosed on that fumble call early. And I say this as a Vikings fan.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Fukui San said:

I think Graham was short. His helmet touched the yellow line and his arm with the ball was a foot behind that. 

The yellow line is not official.  I think if it was called short on the field, they wouldn't have overturned that either.  I agree that it evened out the Packers being screwed on the fumble in the first half.  Chew on that Pete Carroll.  Not great officiating during the game - they also missed a couple facemask calls.  

I'm sure the 49ers will be 8 to 10 point (at least) favorites next week.  The Packers need to get Bulaga healthy.  The right side of their line was not great today, either run blocking or protecting on passing downs.  (And pass out some masks, hand sanitizer and Lysol - we don't want this bug spreading to anyone else.)   I don't know if the Packers have the receivers to get to the Super Bowl.  I don't think San Fran's defense will allow Adams to be as wide open as he was today, and the rest of the Packer receivers are just a bunch of guys. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I don't know if the Packers have the receivers to get to the Super Bowl. 

Funny you say this, it’s the exact response I gave to one of my Chiefs friends today.  She asked if I thought the Packers would beat the Chiefs in the SB.  I said we (Packers) don’t have the offensive weapons / options that KC has, but it would be a close game in my opinion, and super fun to watch.  All of my friends here want to have a redo of the Chiefs / Packers since Mahomes was out during the regular season match up.  

1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

All of my friends here want to have a redo of the Chiefs / Packers since Mahomes was out during the regular season match up.  

And let's face it, the NFL probably wouldn't hate it either from a marketing perspective.  It'd be a rematch of the 1st super bowl in this, the 100th anniversary of the NFL.

The yellow line is not official. 

No it's not.  I'm watching the replay of the Chiefs and Texans and the yellow line looks to be consistently ahead of the first down marker you can see on the sideline.

Edited by Irlandesa

I don’t see how the Titans offense can compete with Mahomes. Guy was absolutely unreal today. The Titans won because of Henry and even if he runs for another 185 yards, Tannehill is going to have throw for at least 200 to keep up with the Chiefs. I hope they prove me wrong again because they are the only team left that I can stomach. 

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And let's face it, the NFL probably wouldn't hate it either from a marketing perspective.  It'd be a rematch of the 1st super bowl in this, the 100th anniversary of the NFL.

I always hoped and prayed for a Manning / Manning SB, and I was certain from the day Elisha was drafted that the NFL would make it happen.   Never happened.  THAT would have been something.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

A fake punt after having that big of a lead with that field position?  Stupid.  Just stupid. 

Ever since everyone believes that the Eagles beat the Pats in the Super Bowl on the Philly Special, every team thinks they need a trick play in EVERY GAME.   9 times out of 10 the trick play fails.   But they keep doing it because -- PHILLY SPECIAL.   That was more of the thinking there.   The Texans were winning, they did not need to pull a trick play.   

• Love 6
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

The “we are resting X player so they don’t get hurt” idea drives me bonkers.  He could walk out of the shower, slip and bash his face in.  Anyone can get hurt, anytime.

Saying that someone might get hurt in a meaningless game makes NO SENSE because they can just as easily get hurt in the next meaningful game they play after the meaningless one.  Players need to play, or they get rusty.  I’ll never understand it.

But then you have the Tua/ Alabama situation where the worst case scenario did happen.  Saban was playing a player in an arguably meaningless drive where Tua was arguably not needed, and in the process, Tua was exposed to a severe, what could have been career-ending, injury.  And he wasn’t available to play in the next game that mattered when his skills were probably needed to tip the balance. I can’t argue with any coach that works to minimize such risks to key players.

And as for rustiness, I heard one commentator this weekend say that the end-of-season injury that Derrick Henry had might have allowed him some rest that rejuvenated him for the playoffs, so maybe some greats can overcome the rustiness factor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The Titans will never beat the Patriots.

The Titans will never beat the Ravens.

I put nothing past them.  (Even if I really think KC will win.)

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

They beat KC earlier this year, but so did Houston.

So did the Colts!

Wouldn't State Farm love to see a Rogers/Mahomes SB?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Note to Ravens: KC is how you respond when you get punched in the face. I am still so disappointed in them. 

I don't think Russell Wilson could have given any more. 

I'm trying to decide what would make for the best Super Bowl. Probably 49ers/Titans. But that's not bloody likely. 

• Love 5
On 1/13/2020 at 7:46 AM, Haleth said:

The Titans will never beat the Patriots.

The Titans will never beat the Ravens.

I put nothing past them.  (Even if I really think KC will win.)

So did the Colts!

Wouldn't State Farm love to see a Rogers/Mahomes SB?

Sunday night, Deon Sanders was asked to make his pick for KC-Titans.   he said "If you think I am going to pick against the Titans again, you done lost your mind."  Exact quote.  That pretty much sums it up.

• Love 7

Man.... just read the news that my favorite player for the Panthers since Smitty is retiring. Luke Kuechly. Ugh! He was a beast and only 28 but suffered quite a few concussions so I get it. But damn! I suspect Greg Olsen is next. With all new coaching staff there’s not likely to be any recognizable names on the team next season. 

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

In other news, Antonio Gates has also retired, and I defy you to admit that you knew he was still playing.

He wasn't still playing.  He was brought back due to injuries in 2018, but wasn't signed in 2019.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

In other news, Antonio Gates has also retired, and I defy you to admit that you knew he was still playing.

He’s one of those that comes up every year at our fantasy draft because he’s listed on the sheets and the entire table goes “I thought he was tiered, he’s like our age.”  There’s a handful of them that we go through this same OMG every year at our draft.  🤣

• Love 1