Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Magog said:

The NFL offseason is basically summer vacation for me & it ends on Labor Day

It's totally different for me. I love all of the roster building components of the NFL.

Salary cap machinations, free agency, the draft, the return to the field for summer camp with new expectations... I probably talk as much about my team during the off season than I do about it during the season. 

• Love 3
On 2/4/2020 at 5:44 PM, Silver Raven said:

If you don't count his brother Jason.

The Paul brothers are from there, too.  Want them back?  😄

I don’t know the Paul brothers.  Who do they, Or did they, play for?

But two more, huh?  We Westlakers must be very athletic.  Jennie Meno from figure skating went to school w/my youngest brother.  Wonder what happened to me?  😁

1 minute ago, roamyn said:

I don’t know the Paul brothers.  Who do they, Or did they, play for?

But two more, huh?  We Westlakers must be very athletic.  Jennie Meno from figure skating went to school w/my youngest brother.  Wonder what happened to me?  😁

They're disgusting YouTube "stars".

• Love 1
18 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Which is cuter --

Baby Mr. Peanut

Baby Yoda

Baby Groot

Baby Mahomes

I haven't seen the other 3, so I'll go with Baby Mahomes. Little did he know when he was in an infant Twins outfit . . .

With Manning and Rivers moving on, it's fair to take a look at what the teams got with the first three QB's picked in the 2004 NFL draft.

Not too shabby. They played in 682 games, each entirely for the same team, threw for 1,126 TDs, and 172,839 yards over the 16 seasons.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

With Manning and Rivers moving on, it's fair to take a look at what the teams got with the first three QB's picked in the 2004 NFL draft.

Not too shabby. They played in 682 games, each entirely for the same team, threw for 1,126 TDs, and 172,839 yards over the 16 seasons.

And in typical Cleveland fashion, they missed out on Roethlisberger.  They took Kellen Winslow, Jr.  Who actually had a decent career, but he was supposed to be the literal second coming of, well, Kellen Winslow. 

Though lets face it, had he gone to Cleveland, who knows Roethlisbergers  career turns out. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Though lets face it, had he gone to Cleveland, who knows Roethlisbergers  career turns out. 

Pittsburgh was really the best place he could have landed. As a Giants fan, I've always maintained that of the three, only Eli was the right one for New York. 

Of the really interesting QB "misses" in 2004, I think the BIG one was that the Bills traded up #22 to take JP Loman.  The trade was "The Bills received this pick from the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for the Bills' second round pick (43rd overall), fifth round pick (144th overall), and first round pick in 2005."

And.... in 2005 when the Bills didn't "need" a QB because they picked Losman in 2004, that pick they traded to Dallas was #20. With the 24th pick of the 2005 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers selected Aaron Rogers.

I'm just sayin...

• Love 1
15 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

And 4 Super Bowls, with Manning and Roethlisberger taking 2 each.   Only Rivers never got to a Super Bowl.

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

That's one hell of a power move by Taysom Hill.

Well, he's 29 and at this point, it's not a terrible idea for him to try to do something to get himself a nice big chunk of guaranteed money.  

I just noticed some "No way the Patriots want Brady back" headlines, which makes me wonder much less where he's going to end up and much more in what direction are the Patriots going to go?

Seems to me that there are some really, really interesting options for them. Anybody have any theories?

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Well, he's 29 and at this point, it's not a terrible idea for him to try to do something to get himself a nice big chunk of guaranteed money.  

I just noticed some "No way the Patriots want Brady back" headlines, which makes me wonder much less where he's going to end up and much more in what direction are the Patriots going to go?

Seems to me that there are some really, really interesting options for them. Anybody have any theories?

If I had to guess, I think Brady will end up back in New England. Boring, but unless there's a team out there who wants to throw $30 million at him and which doesn't completely suck, I'd put my money on going back with a not top of the market salary. There have been a few free agents who they let talk to other teams in free agency before the players signed back with the Patriots for what the Patriots thought they were worth.

The option I'd be fascinated to see would be if Brady goes elsewhere and the Patriots do a year in which they just get a number of B minus options at QB. Their 2nd year QB Jarrett Stidham, plus Marcus Mariota, plus Andy Dalton. Something like that. Let those QBs slug it out in training camp and use their 12 draft picks to fix the OL and get offensive weapons, see if they can get 10-11 wins and go from there. If team fails because of the QB play and go 5-11, then go all in the draft next year for an anointed QB of the future. I'd be fascinated to see what that looks like, and how Brady would fare in another system.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

f the Chargers had won the SB in 2006, maybe they stay in San Diego.

The city of San diego was not paying for a new stadium.   Even with a Super Bowl win.   Spanos was not paying for a new stadium himself.    That impasse was always going to end with Spanos taking his football and going away.

• Love 5
On 2/12/2020 at 3:13 PM, merylinkid said:

The city of San diego was not paying for a new stadium.   Even with a Super Bowl win.   Spanos was not paying for a new stadium himself.    That impasse was always going to end with Spanos taking his football and going away.

True. Winning a Super Bowl didn't keep the Rams in St. Louis.

• Love 1

I’m watching Friday’s “Highly Questionable” now and Dan said exactly what I was thinking - I fully believe that Myles Garrett thinks he heard Mason Rudolph say something that was a slur.  That doesn't mean that Mason Rudolph actually said it.     

What a mess.

In other news, Myles looks incredibly handsome in his glasses.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I fully believe that Myles Garrett thinks he heard Mason Rudolph say something that was a slur.  

I don't. The day after the incident Garrett issued an apology.

I want to apologize to Mason Rudolph

As an African American male, I can see how the league/his publicists/ the team could have convinced him to apologize to the league/ the Steelers/ the Rooney family etc. But the man who called him him the n word? 

No way.

• Love 4

To this day, he admits that what Rudolph said does not justify his response, and, given the severity of that reaction, I can understand him including Rudolph in his next-day apologies; he seems to have realized pretty quickly that he disproportionately escalated things, and never wavered from that.  So that apology doesn't make me think he only came up with the racial slur story later to attempt to lessen his suspension, especially since he didn't tell the public about it; he only talked about it after what had been said in the hearing came out and he was asked to comment. The way Garrett has conducted himself through this whole aftermath impresses me far more than how Rudolph has.

• Love 2

I don't know if the new suggested changes will be approved for the next CBA, but I do like the idea of having another team in the playoffs for each conference. There are definitely times when a division will be very strong and have three teams that could legitimately make it, but one gets left out. This could allow for one of those types of teams to get in. (On the flip side to that it could allow a team that doesn't have that good of a record to get in too, but overall I like the idea).

I saw some more details on Twitter, on what the proposed changes could mean for the players, including how it could help shift some of the revenue to their sides. 

Edited by Jx223

Ex-Browns left tackle Greg Robinson arrested, faces drug charge

Me: Man, gotta be careful so you don't get popped for possession.

Robinson, 27, a former Auburn standout who played for the Cleveland Browns last season, was booked by the Drug Enforcement Administration on Tuesday after federal agents said they found 157 pounds of marijuana in a rented vehicle in which he and two other people were riding.

Me: 157 pounds?!?!

(FYI Greg Robinson made 6.4 million dollars last season. Not a great career choice.)

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

There are definitely times when a division will be very strong and have three teams that could legitimately make it, but one gets left out.

Three teams from one division still can make it.  It has happened seven times since 2006.

13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

So, if they add a seventeenth game to the schedule, will they all be held at a neutral site?   Will all 32 teams be taking a trip across the pond each season?

It would be unfair for any teams to have nine home games while others have eight.

This is the way to get to 18 games.    Owners who only get 8 home games complain so they have to increase to 18 to be "fair."   

Oh and the 17th game check is capped at 25K.   Which yes, seems like a lot.   But the top players will actually play that 17th game which may determine playoff position (especially with only 1 bye at stake) for a discount.   With the same risks of career ending injury as the other 16.

One thing I love about the NFL is that their season doesn't go on forever.   Starts in August with preseason, done by first weekend in February.   Boom.    Baseball can go into November for goodness sakes with preseason starting in March.   Basketball is even worse starting in October, playoffs in April and the championship in June.    Hockey for some god awful reason ends after the first day of summer.

• Love 7

The NFL schedule is so very structured, so very precise, that it makes Monica from Friends look disorganized.

courteney cox friends GIF

Adding an extra game wouldn't be a problem. Here is the current formula (I copied it from Wikipedia):

1. Each team plays twice against each of the other three teams in its division: once at home, and once on the road (six games).
  2. Each team plays once against each of the four teams from another division within its own conference, with the assigned division based on a three-year rotation: two at home, and two on the road (four games).
  3. Each team plays once against one team from each of the remaining two divisions within its conference, based on the final division standings from the prior season: one at home, one on the road (two games).
  4. Each team plays once against each of the four teams from a division in the other conference, with the assigned division based on a four-year rotation: two at home, and two on the road (four games).

Adding an extra game should be no problem. First thing will be to figure out where the extra game comes from. It'll probably be based on your finishing position and against a team from the opposing conference. In other words, adding another game to #3 above.

This will be where the schedule nerds have to get creative figuring out a way to have the 32 teams alternating 9 home 8 road this year, 8 home 9 road next year.

They should be able to figure out a way to always alternate the two at home one on the road each year in a way that also fits the "1st place finisher in the NFC East plays the 2nd place finisher in the NFC West in years when the NFC East is on the NFC South (#2 above) cycle" rules. It could get little tricky, but I'm sure they'll have a big old math party to work it all out before they tell us how it will work.

6 hours ago, xaxat said:

Tony Romo just signed a contract with CBS for $17 million a year.

That's about as much as he made in his best single seasons as a player.

It was a no-brainer. All he'll be doing for CBS is calling football games. No appearances on NFL Live. No NFL Draft coverage. No trips to Indianapolis to cover the combine. Just one game a week and all the golf he can muster for $17m per annum.

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Romo never shuts up.  If he were paid per each word he spoke, he would be making less than minimum wage.

If he edited himself by at least half, he'd be a good commentator -- he knows the game as much as he loves it, so he does have something to offer (and y'all know how hard it is for me to say anything nice about a Cowboy).  But he doesn't, just chattering incessantly, so he's an annoying twit instead and the value of anything he says in the midst of all that is lost.

• Love 4

Congrats to Romo, I guess, but does he really add any eyeballs to the game?

Here's a conversation I've never had, with anyone:

"Are you gonna watch the game later?"

"Depends. Who are the announcers?"

• Love 3