Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E06: Lace To The Finish

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I knew Blake wasn't long for this show.  His arrogance was amazing, and if I really cared that much I'd be angry he was even given a spot over some other cannon fodder candidate.  Someone who has absolute no interest in women shouldn't be allowed in a design competition for women's clothing, nor in the business of designing women's clothes.  His poor model should win some type of award for wearing that ill-fitting, unflattering horror.

Actually, I felt bad for all the models.

The guest judge gave constructive feedback and was also considerate.  I'll take a well-spoken teen over the many vapid or bon mot dropping celebs PR has had any day.

Candice really doesn't push herself at all.  I can see her getting auffed right after Jake and Joseph if she doesn't wow the judges again. 

I also hate the word "panty" and wish it would fade from the English language.  However, whenever I hear the term it conjures up an image that looks very much like the hideous pair of underwear Laurie designed.  (Sorry, Laurie, I like you but those were awful!)

Overall this was a boring episode, but then I've never liked the episodes that focused on one of Heidi's clothing lines.   

• Love 3

Twopper, I was thinking the same thing. I already discussed the previous season's menswear challenge that caught those designers (even the men) as flat-footed as this group. The later Top Chef contestants annoyed me in the same way: "Fer crissakes! you've seen enough people sent knife-packing because they couldn't turn out a simple fucking dessert! why didn't you show up with a few in mind??" (eventually, some did)

That's why I think Edmond might win it all. He's absorbed a number of those lessons.

I think the same when people go on Amazing Race without learning to drive stick, and Survivor without learning to swim.

• Love 7

I'm days behind at this point, but finally got around to watching the "what's Heidi's line THIS season?" episode.

My favourites were Ashley's and Kelly's, and both of them had a nice little robe/cover up, too. I would have probably given Ashley the win, and was frankly puzzled with Merline's win. Hers was fine but was not the top, imho. I cannot stand either Joseph or Jake and their apparent disinterest in all things female/women/girly. They need to be designing for men or PetSmart customers (the PETS, not their owners). I have plenty of male gay friends who LOVE women of all shapes and sizes so I don't understand the total disinterest. They will definitely not succeed in design, not that they would have anyway, judging from what I've seen of their designs so far.

Ah Swapnil and Edmund: two of the loveliest male designers to be on the show in ages. I didn't care a ton for Swapnil's bridal ensemble, but he works hard, has new ideas and always has a great story. I just like Edmund in general; there's something to be said for being such a fan of the show that you try out every season. You know he has watched and studied and I applaud that as well.

When Blake's Barbie pink "bra" and pantaloons came down the runway, I was appalled. He made his model look like her breasts had been sagging for forty years. I'm thinking he was pretty surprised to be sent packing as early as episode 6, especially after two barely deserved wins under his belt. I can't really see Tim saving him next week. I've been wrong SO many times before, but Tim just didn't seem that broken up over his departure.

Lindsey wasn't as bad as usual this week, design-wise. I swear, though, Zac still managed a grimace at her outfit, without allegedly even knowing who it's supposed to be that's designing it. I didn't really like Candice's at all. I think she does have chops, but she does need to get out of the almost hot topic'y look every week. Well, except for the week she and Ashley did the Venice thing which didn't speak to me of Venice at all.

I do think this group has a fair amount of decent designers, way more than last season, which I still hate with the fire of a thousand suns.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 5

Merline should STFU about her designs being architectural. She mentions it in every single challenge. I've yet to see anything remotely inspired by architecture in any of her shoddy work. Her bra was almost as bad as Blake's and no women would want to be caught dead in those panties.

Overall, it was another shitty challenge that only served to shill for Heidi's latest pet project. As a laugh, I'd like to point out that they sell men's underwear too (link). I'm sure the demand for that's going to be through the roof.

• Love 1

Underwear is supposed to get you laid! That men's collection...I'm trying to think of a time and place that a straight man would buy that underwear...OK, on vacation overseas, there's been a bit of digestive difficulty so your original supply is used but you can't go commando and this is what the little store near the hotel in Mykonos has available.

• Love 4

After looking for and finding Heidi's intimates sight to view the atrocious men's ware, I had to laugh at the main page. The set "designed" (and I use that term lightly) by Merline is featured twice on the home page....and in both, the model is practically clutching her arms to her side. I wonder which -- the tops or bottoms-- she is trying to hold up.

• Love 3

[soapbox]

I'm one of those humorless, hardcore, unapologetic feminists and I have nothing but the sunshine of my warm approval for people who say "vagina," even when they're using the word incorrectly. ...

I get your point that it's a step up from using silly euphemisms,

However, calling the entire pubic area the "vagina," just makes people sound ignorant and like 12 year olds who just learned the word and can't resist saying it all the time just to sound provocative or cool.

• Love 8

Heidi's challenges on PR are always a train wreck.

Remember the New Balance challenge?  it started out with designers competing in a foot race to gain advantage in the challenge and moved on to creating a look for her New Balance line which she defined as not really what one wears to do athletics but what one wears to go to the supermarket, possibly, but not necessarily, after attending a yoga class.

The winning look was a billowy hoodie that no one could wear for any actual athletic activity.

Now we have Heidi's lingerie line which, let's be real, isn't actual wear-it-all-day underwear.  It's designed to be worn for the brief period of time between emerging from the bathroom in a hotel room, perhaps wearing spike heels, and having it removed by a waiting man, or woman.

That explains the lack of any support or utility found in the garments.

As for the judging, the underlying criteria for judging on Project Runway is a look that is somehow new.  Or as the judges like to say, that they haven't seen before. They're especially looking for a silhouette that they haven't seen before.

When it comes to creating bras and underwear, this is pretty difficult.  There's not a lot that hasn't been done and not a lot of that can be done with only a tiny bit of fabric that must cover specific areas of the body.  

So hence the win by Merline's look which wasn't so much a bra as two triangles of lace held together by string.  It's not useful and arguably not very attractive, but hey, it's something that hasn't been done before.

Edited by remotecontrolfreak
  • Love 3

I've never been a fan of the thong. I've owned them. I don't get the point. They sort of just move the VPL up the ass, IMO. I've also seen some major faux pas with thin trousers and shorts and thongs...starting in the late 90s. It's horrifying to me to see someone's ass through their trousers.

Do you know some people wear them to the gym? I know this because I've seen them riding up their ass. That just makes me…shudder. I understand no visible panty line but IT'S THE GYM WHO CARES. Also, I haven't had a problem with VPL since I stopped buying the tightest shorts/pants possible after high school. I literally just avoid clothing that would require me to wear a thong.

I guess that's why I was confused at first why Jake's model made such a big deal out of coverage. In my head, I was like jeez, most underwear covers your butt, no? Um, not like any the designers made. 

My favorites were Kelly, Ashley, and Lindsey. And I hate to admit it, but matronly guy's (forgetting his name) wasn't that bad either looking it on the website. I would wear it. I guess that makes me a 26 year old matron.

Edited by BrittaBot
  • Love 4

However, calling the entire pubic area the "vagina," just makes people sound ignorant and like 12 year olds who just learned the word and can't resist saying it all the time just to sound provocative or cool.

Hey, if it was covered in in my copy of "A Doctor Talks to 9-12 Year Olds" ~50 years ago - and in the fourth grade "miracle of girlhood" filmstrip - it's something adults should get right (especially adults who actually have one). If your damn vagina actually IS hanging out, get it - and the rest of you - to an ER, stat. You're in the midst of a serious medical emergency. Sheesh. A real pet peeve of mine.

On topic, Blake may have missed the "filmstrip." But if he's designing for women, he doesn't get to claim ignorance of/disinterest in our basic outward anatomy. I'm glad someone (Zac?) called him out on his "My girl never wears underwear" crap.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 4

My niece wore a thong with a short dress to her graduation party. The dress was loose so vpl was not the issue, that's just what they wear I guess. Anyway, how do I know this? Because I was treated to the sight of her ass every time she bent over or crouched in some way all day long. As was the rest of the party. I don't care that she had a nice figure, I don't want to see anyone's ass all day.

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 7

If you happen to be built with a certain type of anatomical curve in the back, then whatever underwear you choose inevitably rides up into your butt crack. In which case, a thong is the most comfortable choice, because it minimizes the amount of fabric that ends up packed in there. Or so I've heard.

• Love 5

I think they've forgotten the originally stated purpose of the TGS, which even Heidi doesn't say any more--if he disagrees with the judges about an aufing, he brings that sewtestant back.  Unfortunately he didn't use it either time, for Justin or Char, for that purpose, but only because he felt sorry for them.  I miss his old blog where he would sometimes be apoplectic about a particular aufing and that's what the TGS was supposed to remedy.

I only remember Bella Thorne as one of the two Teenys, the seldom seen kid on Big Love who was only dragged out when it was important for the plotline.  She did ok, but what happened to the parade of actual designers who used to guest panel on this show?

• Love 3

I think they've forgotten the originally stated purpose of the TGS, which even Heidi doesn't say any more--if he disagrees with the judges about an aufing, he brings that sewtestant back.  Unfortunately he didn't use it either time, for Justin or Char, for that purpose, but only because he felt sorry for them.  I miss his old blog where he would sometimes be apoplectic about a particular aufing and that's what the TGS was supposed to remedy.

He said on one Daily Show visit that he argued the judges into keeping Michelle.

I agree about liking Edmond. He's always got a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. And I still really like how good natured he was when Ashley gunned him down.

Edmond is another one I could see Tim saving, because he's been doing good, solid work and because he has worked so hard to get on this show, it means so much to him. I could see that being a big factor for Tim -- it's got the sentimentality factor plus the "you've shown good work and we're not done seeing it all yet" factor.

• Love 3

If you happen to be built with a certain type of anatomical curve in the back, then whatever underwear you choose inevitably rides up into your butt crack. In which case, a thong is the most comfortable choice, because it minimizes the amount of fabric that ends up packed in there. Or so I've heard.

Mr. Guilfoyle has a donk that girls envy. I will have to ask him how this works. He wears boxer briefs (the ones with legs) and as far as I know his butt isn't often hungry (wedgies). Boxer briefs also solves the VPL issue.

And here is my thing about the booty and the "ewww, girls' underwear" designers. A nice booty is a nice booty - male or female.  So, you can't make a thong. Are you the type of dude that ONLY finds a thong attractive? If you do find non thong types of chones attractive, think about it and translate. 

• Love 1

Edmond is another one I could see Tim saving, because he's been doing good, solid work and because he has worked so hard to get on this show, it means so much to him. I could see that being a big factor for Tim -- it's got the sentimentality factor plus the "you've shown good work and we're not done seeing it all yet" factor.

I hadn't considered Edmund, but he seems to keep out of the drama. Ashley, on the other hand, let herself get swept into it by getting all pissed off that she was chosen last.

When I was a kid, I was chosen last or near last on a few occasions in gym class. I wasn't particularly bothered by it because I was never really athletic anyway, so I understood why. I get why she felt bummed out, but it's a competition reality show and surely she watched it before going on to know that there is always a Queen Bees group. In this case, it's always best to take the high road, unless they do or say something really offensive to warrant a reaction. Being chosen last, in the grand scheme of things, isn't the worst thing that can happen to a person.

Heidi created that conflict and Tim kind of fed it, which is why I think Tim will most likely use his save on Ashley.

But using his save on Edmund is another strong possibility because the guy had been trying to get on this show since its inception.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Underwear is supposed to get you laid! That men's collection...I'm trying to think of a time and place that a straight man would buy that underwear...OK, on vacation overseas, there's been a bit of digestive difficulty so your original supply is used but you can't go commando and this is what the little store near the hotel in Mykonos has available.

Wait... you are suggesting that the decision of whether or not someone is getting laid happens after they are down to their underwear? I would have thought that once someone is in their underwear, the main hurdles are pretty much over with. Especially for men. I've already decided that him getting laid is a strong possibility long before I see his underwear or he sees mine, if for no other reason (and there are plenty of other reasons) than it's much safer to decide he ISN'T getting laid before that point. I don't bother letting someone see my underwear unless I'm pretty sure I'm willing to take it off, and if I'm not, I really don't want to see his either!

I also expect men to pick their underwear based on comfort and I'm not going to change my mind about him based on what he finds comfortable... unless it's the panties Laurie made!

I can't wait for "mons pubis" to come around. I love that phrase. It's perfect.  "I need to cover her mons pubis."

I think everyone on PR should stick with the term "The good china".

;)

I knew Blake wasn't long for this show.  His arrogance was amazing,

In the PR website designer interviews section, when asked what his weaknesses are, he replied "Not applicable". He needs to change that to "basic high school Anatomy"

I cannot stand either Joseph or Jake and their apparent disinterest in all things female/women/girly. They need to be designing for men or PetSmart customers (the PETS, not their owners). I have plenty of male gay friends who LOVE women of all shapes and sizes so I don't understand the total disinterest. They will definitely not succeed in design, not that they would have anyway, judging from what I've seen of their designs so far.

I thought Jake's outfit last episode was one of the best. I would wear it in a heartbeat (hey, it's a good enough evaluation comment for most of the PR guest judges...)

And when did a 'breast' become a 'boob'?  The definition of boob is a stupid or foolish person.  A dunce.  I find it almost derogatory.  It's a breast. 

My sentiments exactly. I HATE the terms "boobs" and "tits" with more malice than any I've even felt for my worst enemy. I also hate "the girls" and "the sisters". I hate ALL euphemisms for "breast" and in this day and age of breast cancer being something many of us face (or at the least, worry about) I am appalled that anyone over the age of 12 gets giggly or embarrassed by the word or feels the need to use a substitute.

Yeah, But I don't see Edmond getting eliminated in the first place.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 11

Ashley didn't weep all the way through the episode...what she was really hurt about was at the end when there was group think about blaming her for the failure of the team.  When it came down to it, the only reason the "leader" named someone else was because the judges interrupted the blame game. 

The other women behaved like assholes. That's obvious. Ashley was hurt because her "friend" Laurie told her about how they were throwing her under the bus. If I had been Ashley, I think I would have wondered what Laurie expected to gain by doing that, which makes them both idiots because Ashley bought it. I think maybe Laurie wanted to cause some sort of friction to give herself an advantage.

I actually like Ashley's work, but that whole episode turned me off all the female designers, which is sad.

I don't either, especially since Heidi seems to have taken a shine toward him.

Edited by Surrealist

Even a talented designer can have a bad week, though. We've seen some good people get sent home (before there was such a thing as a Tim Gunn save). So if he were to need it, I could see Tim using it on Edmond. I hope he doesn't end up needing it, though. Him, or Swapnil. And frankly I'm hoping that Ashley won't need it either, but you never know.

• Love 1

Merline should STFU about her designs being architectural. She mentions it in every single challenge. I've yet to see anything remotely inspired by architecture in any of her shoddy work.

I absolutely agree....she seems to think that adding a square chunk o'fabric turns it into 'architectural'.  She needs to study some of the designs of Gianfranco Ferre who was the master of 'architectural'.

My sentiments exactly. I HATE the terms "boobs" and "tits" with more malice than any I've even felt for my worst enemy. I also hate "the girls" and "the sisters". I hate ALL euphemisms for "breast" and in this day and age of breast cancer being something many of us face (or at the least, worry about) I am appalled that anyone over the age of 12 gets giggly or embarrassed by the word or feels the need to use a substitute.

I once got in trouble for using the words "breast" and "penis" in a newspaper story about lewd molestation charges. I suspect "boobs" became more popular because of TV restrictions, although why "breast" would be impermissible, I don't know.

In my family, we have the word "snisket." As in, I fell off my bike and hurt my snisket. Or ... Good grief, now I have poison ivy on my snisket. Or ... A hornet flew up my pants and bit me right on the snisket. It defines the area visible between your legs from the front. It's not internal, like vagina. It seems to me to be a really useful word. Not demeaning, not crass. 

• Love 1

Your poor sniskets!

Didn't like Swapnil's and, on a shallow note, not crazy about his contacts. I get kind of a Children of the Corn vibe. There's something unreal about the color or something. He's a great talent and seems like a really nice guy.

I liked Ashley's best.

Buh bye Blakey. He must be really tiring to be around.

• Love 2

I thought Ashley should have won -- her outfit was pretty, fit the model well, and had a cover-up that was finished and worked with the outfit. I also liked Kelly's. I thought hers looked really good on her model and was kind of a sporty cute look.

Those were my favorites as well. Ashely's were super cute and  I thought Kelly should have gotten extra points for her cover-up. It was annoying that they showed no judging regarding the cover ups. (I assume it was edited out, but who knows?) When you add this "TWIST!" and then don't talk at all about how some designers failed it completely, it's extremely annoying. 

Have any of our very observant posters tallied wins by runway model? If Aube hasn't won every challenge, it has to be pretty close.

Ashley's was my favorite, but I definitely wondered if it was due to her model. She is no doubt the best model up there - she really elevates people's designs. If no one else has tallied this, maybe I will go check to see how she's been doing.  ETA: I looked it up, and she has been in the top in every episode except one. And she's never been in the bottom. 

Well, (gross generalization alert), scratch a dude who gets passive-aggressive around pushy women and as often as not you'll find a dude who can be played neatly by someone who's willing to play the wounded sparrow.

Not that I know either of those people. Just saying, in general.

Excellent point. I have NO idea if it's accurate in this situation, but I think in general, you are correct.

I have heard that these same people might have an issue with the thong because then their CLOTHES end up going up their crack. Because there is no fabric stopping it. So...thongs are the opposite of what they need (when wearing dresses and skirts, etc). Again, something I've also heard and wouldn't know at all personally. 

Edited by hks

Oh c'mon, it could be (and has been) worse. 20 years ago they wore em OVER their leggings/bike shorts.

Back in 1992 when I entered high school the popular attire for my aerobic dance PE class was a thong leotard over bike shorts. I still remember going to Dick's Sporting Goods and trying on a set and vowing never to put my ass in a thong again. I wore a much less fashionable tank top and leggings but at least I was wedgie-free. 

• Love 1

The p word works as accurate, but people squirm when they hear it, I guess. Yes, it's slang, but it's better than naming the whole thing after one part!

YES. A MILLION TIMES YES. I abohor the word "panties" and refuse to use it. Underwear. It's all underwear to me. I also get a vaguely misogynistic vibe from the word that I can't entirely explain - like women are little children who need cutesy names for things, or such delicate flowers that their underwear needs a baby name. I don't know. I FEEL WHAT I FEEL.

Many moons ago, there was a usenet group called alt.fashion, and the convention there was to write it as pnaties.  Made it vastly more palatable.

Whenever I hear "vagina" being misused like this, for some reason I always picture Khloe Kardashian doing it, so...yeah.

• Love 1

Devil's advocate for Lindsey, probably because I'm one of the 3 or 4 people on this board who liked her design.  I worked for a very large concern, and if we were hurt on the job, we had to see the resident nurse or doctor, and if advised to seek further medical attention - shot, stitches, X-rays, even hospital admission, it had to be done on the same day as the injury or accident.  Otherwise, there would be company insurance problems, and you might end up having to pay for additional attention on your own.  It's possible that Lifetime or Project Runway's insurance had the same stipulations.

• Love 4

Do you know some people wear them to the gym? I know this because I've seen them riding up their ass. That just makes me…shudder. I understand no visible panty line but IT'S THE GYM WHO CARES. Also, I haven't had a problem with VPL since I stopped buying the tightest shorts/pants possible after high school. I literally just avoid clothing that would require me to wear a thong.

I just hope I get to be there to witness it when someone goes a little too hard on the elliptical and saws herself in half.

• Love 1

Devil's advocate for Lindsey, probably because I'm one of the 3 or 4 people on this board who liked her design.  I worked for a very large concern, and if we were hurt on the job, we had to see the resident nurse or doctor, and if advised to seek further medical attention - shot, stitches, X-rays, even hospital admission, it had to be done on the same day as the injury or accident.  Otherwise, there would be company insurance problems, and you might end up having to pay for additional attention on your own.  It's possible that Lifetime or Project Runway's insurance had the same stipulations.

I missed it. Were people harping on her for going to the ER? I missed that I guess. It really seemed like she had no choice. All of these shows make it clear in their contracts with the players that they have to do whatever the show medic says. Period.

• Love 2

Righteous, righteous auf.  I was afraid Blake would skate by again because he's had a couple wins and he's young and the judges favor the young contestants over the middle-aged.  But instead, they came down like the wrath of god on his dismissal of female anatomy, immaturity and arrogance.  Good job, ladies and gent.  I loved to see the smirk fade off his face.  And I do not think Tim will be saving Blake either.  Tim seemed unbothered by his departure, as was everyone else.

On the other hand, Jake is not long for this world.  He hasn't done anything noteworthy and is starting to live on the bottom.

Swapnil is one of my favorite designers but I was shocked he finished in the top 3 this time.  To me, his outfit looked sloppy and amateurish.  Plus, how would you even get in and out of that bra?  Merline's looked a bit sloppy on top as well, but I did think it was a cool look if executed well with better structure, and it would be easy to mass-produce, so I understood the win.  Personally I would have gone with Ashley's.

Heidi's challenges on PR are always a train wreck.

Remember the New Balance challenge?  it started out with designers competing in a foot race to gain advantage in the challenge and moved on to creating a look for her New Balance line which she defined as not really what one wears to do athletics but what one wears to go to the supermarket, possibly, but not necessarily, after attending a yoga class.

The winning look was a billowy hoodie that no one could wear for any actual athletic activity.

Now this is so funny, because I remember that challenge and I CRAVED that hoodie!  Not for actual athletic pursuits, as you say, but just because I wanted to wear it around town. 

Edmond won't need saving, is my bet.  He's got wins under his belt, the judges like him, and he's a canny competitor, having studied the show for so many years.  In fact, I'm really puzzled why he never made it as a contestant before now.  He obviously has talent and I'd think at least one time he would have shown PR a mini collection that was good enough to get him on the show . . .

If anyone gets the TGS this year, it will be Merline later in the season.

For those commenting about how rude it was of Heidi to express disdain at how little the designers had accomplished in five hours, I have no doubt that she was prepared to say that in any case in order to establish justification for the runway sleepover.

So many of the terms I object to are diminutions of perfectly serviceable words:  underpants is fine; panties is silly.  Teats is fine if you're discussing a goat;  tits is not okay in any discussion.  Unless we are prepared to call all men's undergarments tighty-whities, it's time to speak like grown-up about both sexes.

• Love 1

I'm an old lady and I don't watch porn, so I'm still always kind of taken aback at how tiny underwear is these days.  Back in the olden days, like 20 years ago, a nude female still had a bit of mystery because there was hair shrouding the specific bits; now it's an advanced anatomy lesson.  I don't remember whose design it was, but one of them was just the tiniest little triangle of fabric in the front, and between that and the pre-pubescent hairlessness, I got a real prurient vibe, which is not the same as sexy.

I do remember Blake's, and I'll just say that if your garment is just one inch of fabric, then it really needs not to "relax."

• Love 6

I am a size 18, and I have a lot of underwear. I wear thongs under my work dress pants--I have a big butt, and there is something about dress pants+boy shorts+the size of my butt that, when I pull my pants up, the full-coverage underwear push up my back further than the waistline of my dress pants.  This doesn't usually happen with jeans.  So, I happily wear a thong with my dress pants and have no issues.  Under skirts and pretty much everything else, it's boyshorts/hipsters.  ESPECIALLY AT THE GYM.  I will go through as many as 3 pairs of underwear in a work day if I'm working out after, because I always change into full-bottomed underwear to work out.  I have had the unfortunate experience of forgetting to put extra underwear in my gym bag, and being forced to work out in a thong...it's AWFUL.  My thong ends up in places that Laurie's model had to deal with.  That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with thongs, or little underwear, or shaving, or any of that--it depends on your taste.  It's not trashy or unfeminist.  I thought Merline's pieces were kind of a joke, but they'd appeal to some possibly young person who has a thin body with small chest. I figured she'd be safe at best. It's not terribly interesting or creative, or new.  I was very confused about her win.

Speaking of infantilizing, "vajayjay" needs to go.  Boobs doesn't bother me.  T**s and its variations gross me out.

• Love 4

Pleasantly surprised by the auf. I was watching with a PR-n00b who was rooting for Blake to go home and I remarked to her that they'd never send home someone who makes "good TV" over a dull lump like Jake. Thrilled to be proven wrong.

I'm a 36D. I also love lingerie. (I have two Elle MacPherson bras; no Heidi Klums.) bras, anything), it stays in the store.

Apparently Heidi's bras are just Elle MacPherson bras with the tags cut out. Heidi bought out the Intimates line from Elle.

This show occasionally throws people into the competition who really shouldn't be there, presumably "just to see what happens."  I'm concurrently watching Season 10 on Hulu.   In a word, Kooan.   Maybe Blake was a similar casting choice.

Kooan has some of my all-time favorite PR designs. I take your point, because no way were the judges ever going to appreciate his work, but I loved him.

I kind of hate the idea of a "save". It is admitting that the judges are fools who go off on tangents, and also allows Tim too much room for sentiment. He does lean that way, and of course Ashley is the perfect "victim" if she should be eliminates. I think she is middle-of-the-pack and not a final contender. I am guessing Swapnil and Edmond will make it, not sure who else but it does have to be a woman, so maybe Merline is being sent up the ladder..

One of the issues with the Save (and there are many) is that the judges already account for a designer's track record, even if they feign the "next day you're out" mantra. The only time a "Save" would make sense is in the first 5 or 6 weeks where Tim may feel a designer didn't establish themselves in the eyes of the judges quickly enough but have a lot of untapped potential. In theory it could be used as a drama vehicle to eliminate a frontrunner and keep them in the competition, but it isn't even used for that! Thus far it's only been used to bring back middling designers and hand them a one-way ticket to Fashion Week. Heh.

"Bralettes"?  Lol, I haven't heard of that--marketing is everything.

Ha! A 16-year old model on AusNTM used this word and all of the fashion "experts" were like WTF?

Even a talented designer can have a bad week, though. We've seen some good people get sent home (before there was such a thing as a Tim Gunn save). So if he were to need it, I could see Tim using it on Edmond. I hope he doesn't end up needing it, though. Him, or Swapnil. And frankly I'm hoping that Ashley won't need it either, but you never know.

TBH, I can't remember a time when a true frontrunner was sent home for one bad week. Maybe Alexandra or Ra'mon? The elimination order and judging is so manipulated by production that the few times somebody is sent home unfairly it's because the judges are trying to protect somebody else, meaning they are just cannon fodder and not a darling of production, anyway.

• Love 1

Looking at these pics, I liked Lindsey's better and Swapnil's even less (there's a pouch-like quality to the underpants much more noticeable in a static shot). And the close-up on Blake's bra -- he could've given the look a lot of lift, if he'd just tacked the lace to the side strap -- you can see how slack it is.

There's no doubt in my mind that the girls had a better time of it on this challenge than the men.  All they had to do was head to the ladies room with a measuring tape, check out their own bras and panties, and make some mental notes.  I bet none of the guys were even aware of 3-part cup construction.  

...and I'm sorry, but all I could think about when Lindsey returned to the workroom from the hospital was the post subway/ hospital scene in "Adventures in Babysitting": Doctor: "One stitch" Actor: "1?" Doctor (bored and disgusted): "Yes, 1 stitch".

Really? How much time did you lose for that? And how the heck are the paramedics unable to give the girl 1 freaking stitch themselves and have her get a rabies shot after the runway show?

Hahaha! I can hear the doc saying that clear as day. I loved that movie.., great reference. The husband and I were hassling Lindsey for leaving right away...we recently learned when our 11 year old stepped on a pitchfork that you do indeed have 72 hours to get your tetanus shot. I didn't think abt the show forcing her to go for legal reasons tho...

And add me to the chorus of finding the show a little too graphic. Well, at least to the point that I didn't want to watch with my boys in the room.

• Love 1