Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E06: Lace To The Finish

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I liked Merline's look although I thought Ashley should have won. Her panties were on point! Swapnil had a good idea but lacked in execution. I already knew this would be a meh episode because lingerie and swimwear are not easy to make. Even with the "foundations", most of the work looked sloppy.

Yay!!!! for Blake leaving. That bra was an abomination and I cannot believe he let his model walk out like that. Terrible!

• Love 2

I was wondering how on earth you can put ON Swapnil's bra. I could see it becoming very frustrating and me getting all tangled up in the straps and cursing whoever came up with such a crazy impractical design. And once I finally got it on, I wouldn't want to take it off right away because I'd be all, "Honey, do you KNOW how long it took me to get into this thing?" LOL.

Sorry, Swapnil, I love you but... maybe I will like next week's design better! 

I agree.  Swapnil's bra reminded me of something that we could have seen Samantha from SATC wear during one of her "sex with random guys" scenes.  In certain scenes with Kim Cattrall or SJP, we would see them in the "afterglow" wearing a fancy bra.

Love Swapnil, but that bra/panty was not one of my favorite designs of his.

• Love 3

I thought Ashley should have won and Kelly second place.  I liked those two the best and thought they looked most like what is in Heidi's collection.

I can't believe the bras on Heidi's website are S, M, L - at least Merline's is.  I have to try bras on so I don't order them on-line. Is it normal not to have precise cup and strap measurements for on-line ordering? (like 36C, etc.)

I'm glad Zac shut down Blake with his simpering pwecocious nonsense, thinking it cute to be a woman's fashion designer w/no knowledge of a woman's body. Did he spend his years in design school just drawing pretty pictures?

• Love 6

I missed the beginning of the show where their challenge was explained to them. Did they have to design a bra and thong (since that's what most of them made)? I'm surprised nobody designed a camisole with tap pants.

I was wondering that too. It was a "lingerie" challenge. That's a big category. I guess the bra and panty sets on the mannequins on the runway let them know that's what they were supposed to do? Combined with the gift of base bras to use? Or did they just not show us them getting told they had to do bras and panties?

Merline's design is up on Heidi's website for sale.  They made the cups a bit bigger but overall it's pretty close to what she designed.

It definitely looks better on the website with a few changes made to the way the cups were secured, but it still won't work on any woman with breasts. I notice it only comes in S, M, and L on the site. So if you need to specify a cup size you're SOL.

H21-1419.BLAK_BF_4.jpg

• Love 4

I didn't think Jake's was that bad. Am I high? It looked like a cross between something cute and sweet, and a bit naughty. At least the bust looked great. Swapnil's was awful, I thought it would be in the bottom. How do you get it off of you? It looked like surgical tape. Merline's....ugggh. Poor model's boobs!
Good riddance, Blake. I'd like to reiterate that he needs to get himself on RuPaul's Drag Race pronto, so he can design some clothes for himself. He clearly has no interest in designing clothes for actual women!

• Love 3

Anyway, I wonder if they told the models to shave their vajayjays because half of Laurie's models was hanging out.

What?

Not to get too graphic, but there is no hair on a vajayjay and Laurie's model would be in need of medical assistance if her vagina were "hanging out."

What is up with men and women alike referring to some externally visible part of the female human anatomy as the vagina?  

Edited by remotecontrolfreak
  • Love 14

When the six designers remained on the runway I thought to myself, aside from Ashley - who else could possibly be on top?  I hated Swapnil's, and Merlene's was lacking any structure I normally think is part a bra.  That said, I understand why Merlene won.  Tweaking her design would make it fit into Heidi's collection very well.  Designing for Heidi often makes for awful episodes.  I thought doing exercise wear for her line was a terrible challenge.  This was even worse.  I watch PR for fashion (or what passes for it).  I just don't think yoga pants and underwear are what these designers, nor the viewers signed up for.  This episode was all about the drama.  

• Love 1

It definitely looks better on the website with a few changes made to the way the cups were secured, but it still won't work on any woman with breasts. I notice it only comes in S, M, and L on the site. So if you need to specify a cup size you're SOL.

H21-1419.BLAK_BF_4.jpg

It won't work for a woman without breasts either. When you don't have any volume, the bottom band on bras tends to just ride up your chest and up over the bottom of your breast, cutting into it. When the bra cups are cut straight across the bottom, it's a real problem. Even when I wore a 32A, I'd have to get underwire so that the bottom of the cup area was curve shaped. I'm loving the current trend of curve shaped bras in stretch fabrics from Danskin and others.

Swapnil's was awful, I thought it would be in the bottom. How do you get it off of you? It looked like surgical tape.

Get it off me? I probably would give up just trying to get it off a hanger in the store! And if that didn't defeat me, getting it ON probably would.

• Love 7

I thought Ashley should have won -- her outfit was pretty, fit the model well, and had a cover-up that was finished and worked with the outfit. I also liked Kelly's. I thought hers looked really good on her model and was kind of a sporty cute look.

I didn't think Ashley's was anything special, but I did think it was the easiest to mass produce and was acceptable. Of the top 3, I would have given it the win. I was floored that Swapnil and Merline both beat out Kelly to be in the top 3. I thought both looked rather sloppy. And, really? Bridal, Swapnil? Under what wedding dress could you wear those straps up to your neck? In the end, though, I took the crazy top 3 because Blake was sent packing. That will make up for a lot in my book.

To be honest, I liked Jake's bra a lot. I just hated the straps. In fact, I hated the that so many of the designers went with the stupid straps on their designs. I loved that he had the humanity not to make his model bare her ass on national TV when she was uncomfortable doing so. Thongs are idiotic, anyway. The last think I want in underwear at any time is floss up my ass. Good guy.

• Love 6

I thought Ashley should have won and Kelly second place.  I liked those two the best and thought they looked most like what is in Heidi's collection.

I can't believe the bras on Heidi's website are S, M, L - at least Merline's is.  I have to try bras on so I don't order them on-line. Is it normal not to have precise cup and strap measurements for on-line ordering? (like 36C, etc.)

I'm glad Zac shut down Blake with his simpering pwecocious nonsense, thinking it cute to be a woman's fashion designer w/no knowledge of a woman's body. Did he spend his years in design school just drawing pretty pictures?

I'm guessing it is because S, M and L sizes are easier and cheaper to mass produce.  So, in essence, people are buying the undergarments more because of the look and "name" brand, not for actual support and coverage.

And, really? Bridal, Swapnil? Under what wedding dress could you wear those straps up to your neck?

By "bridal" I really think he meant "wedding night" rather than underwear for a wedding dress. Still, awfully complicated and not that well executed. One of the first times I haven't thought Swapnil should have won the challenge. Glad he made it to the top 3 again though.

• Love 6

I was amused the models were wearing "flesh" toned undies under theirtheir, uh, undies. I too was surprised at Heidi flirting with Edmund!

WRT the models deciding what they will or won't wear, my SIL is a fancy swimsuit designer. Her stuff is pretty tiny anyway, but for Miami Fashion Week, she did a couple of runway suits. They were basically there eyepatches strung together with dental floss. Several of the models refused to wear it, and these were models who were already wearing thongs and bitty bikinis. I guess some of them have a line in the sand (see what I did there?). I think it's probably a good thing that some models now have the moxie to decide for themselves what they're ok with. They're so often treated as inanimate objects.

So, that was some fugly lingerie from several of them. Merlene makes me completely insane, and her look was absolutely nothing special. Swapnil was robbed.

I loved the talking heads from Candice. She has totally charmed me with her sunny goth persona. I totally made assumptions about her based just on her look (bad XT, bad). (And I think her look is badass). But I really love the warmth when she talks about her kids, and the way she talked about lingerie was both persuasive and sexy. I love how solid her POV is. I love that she doesn't seem to be on the Mean Girl tip like many if the other womenwomen.

Candice and Swapnil are magic for me. My pick for the final two, with Edmund probably my top three. His cover-up was just about the only one that had much effort or design. Lovely.

• Love 1

Well, this looks kind of familiar:

http://www.heidiklum...color=HB.BCPSFF

I liked Jake's better, though...

Wow...I'm betting if her intimates line is successful we'll see some other "familiar" designs pop up too.  Since the show (and Heidi as a producer) owns the designers' designs they can copy anything they want.

I'm confused by the foundation bra they were given.  Heidi specifically said "don't just cut & paste fabric" on the existing bra.  But isn't that what the majority of them did?  The re-covered the template with their fabrics/embellishments right?  How else would they use the foundation if not covering it with a colored lace or stretch fabric?  I'm not a sewer so I'm easily confused by the technicalities these guys are facing.

Merline's looks better on the website, but that thing was all kinds of wonky on the runway.  The main straps in the center were very crooked and the execution looked almost as bad as Blakes,

If Swapnil had more of the white strapping for his bottoms, he probably would have won.  Ashley's was very good and even Kelly did a great job.  Kelly's own personal look was miles better than previous weeks too.

Speaking of styling, I thought Tim's trademark, product placement admonishment to use the Whatever Wall "thoughtfully" was kind of useless this week.  If I'm wearing "sexy time" lingerie I don't envision with purse or bracelet will be the perfect finishing touch.  I know they always put lingerie models in heels for that slutty sex goddess effect, but I think shoes were superfluous accessories for this challenge too!

• Love 1

Blake must've been getting a lot of friendly indulgent giggles because he made a baaaaad mistake stepping that line of naivete' up a notch and telling the judges he's never seen lingerie before.  Smack!

Ho-kay. I guess I missed the part for the last four weeks where Blake screamed and threw his arm over his eyes when the army of models came into the workroom and stood around in their bras getting fitted?

But I forgive all, because it led to that  magic moment when young Ickarus flew too close to the sun and tried to tell Zac Posen that he can't be asked to know about foundations and how they interact with the icky bits beneath them because he knows not the touch of women. And the magic moment right afterwards, where Zac kept going until the smirk died.

Yeah, Blake's comment was totally stupid in the context. "I don't design for breasts! I don't even look at women's undergarments!" What - he's never looked at a fashion magazine in his life? Aside from revealing his totally limited design skills (as if he were proud of it) to the dress-making master Posen, he managed to dis both Heidi and Nina with his "cute" commentary, with absolutely no apparent awareness of what he was actually saying. Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 2

That's my bet, too. Ashley will have a bad day, they will auf her, and Tim will save her. And we will be treated to lots of tears and brave little speeches about how hard it is to be different. You notice we haven't had too many lip-quivering True Confessionals (e.g., HIV, cancer, bullying) like we've had in the past - I think they are saving it for Ashley.

Oh, if Ashley gets auf'd at any time, she will be saved. They obviously want me to have a very specific "poor Ashley" reaction every time she doesn't get her way. I bought it until last week. The amount of "how dare you not pick me" whining aimed at the women when the men didn't pick her,either, turned me off. I didn't find anything endearing about her behavior at all, but I definitely felt that the editors and producers wanted me to. So, I don't think Tim will spend his save on Blake. I think he's saving it in case something happens to Ashley.

By "bridal" I really think he meant "wedding night" rather than underwear for a wedding dress. Still, awfully complicated and not that well executed. One of the first times I haven't thought Swapnil should have won the challenge. Glad he made it to the top 3 again though.

You may be right, but I have to wonder how many women would wear different underwear like that. Everyone I've ever known (myself included) wore our sexy lingerie under our wedding dresses, usually some form of fancy corset. I honestly felt like he just tacked the "bridal" thing on to explain why he didn't do any color.

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2

I didn't think Ashley's was anything special, but I did think it was the easiest to mass produce and was acceptable. Of the top 3, I would have given it the win. I was floored that Swapnil and Merline both beat out Kelly to be in the top 3. I thought both looked rather sloppy. And, really? Bridal, Swapnil? Under what wedding dress could you wear those straps up to your neck? 

None - its for the bridal night, there's a huge market for that sort of "special occasion" lingerie.

Swapnil's was awful, I thought it would be in the bottom. How do you get it off of you? It looked like surgical tape.

You don't - the point is that your partner gets it off you ;D

• Love 3

They seem to want to stigmitize Ashley in a way, even if in the guise of defending her, placating her, etc.

i hate that...it is like the judges are treating her weight as a disability. And she obviously has issues with it, which will make working in mainstream fashion difficult. I did not mind her look but did not get a plus vibe, especially.

• Love 3

The thing that underscored how affected Blake's perspective was was him claiming that he only designs for braless women. Every fashion designer has to factor in a woman's shoulders, underarms, waists, hips, behinds, legs...so why would you specifically exclude breasts?

• Love 6

My issue with Swapnil's as a "wedding night" outfit is that you'd need an assistant to help you get it ON (uh... pun intended I guess). How many women have a dresser or maid help them get ready for bed on their wedding night? Plus the fact that by the time someone has gone through a wedding, reception and possibly travel to get somewhere, they don't have the energy to mess around with something that complicated. I can't count the number of times I've heard women say "Don't have an evening wedding because you'll be exhausted by the time you get to your room because it will be so late". Except I've heard the same thing about morning weddings and afternoon weddings. Heidi and Nina may have staff to do everything for them, but real women aren't going to have the energy for that hot mess, and if they DO have energy left, they aren't going to have the "patience" (if you know what I mean! wink,wink,nudge,nudge)

• Love 1

Wow...I'm betting if her intimates line is successful we'll see some other "familiar" designs pop up too.  Since the show (and Heidi as a producer) owns the designers' designs they can copy anything they want.

Actually, I seem to recall a previous season where they had to design sportswear for Heidi's sportswear line, and she basically gave them piles of fabrics from her factory stock so the creations would fit in with her existing line. So I'm not surprised to see similarities between what the designers made and what's already on her site. (And yeah, I also liked Jake's scalloping better than what she's actually selling, though the larger strap looks better than the two separate thin straps he had up on the runway.)

• Love 1

The thing that underscored how affected Blake's perspective was was him claiming that he only designs for braless women. Every fashion designer has to factor in a woman's shoulders, underarms, waists, hips, behinds, legs...so why would you specifically exclude breasts?

Blake's pattern seems to be

It becomes clear that Blake is out of his depth / nobody's paying attention to Blake >

Blake says something calculatedly outrageous while pretending to be the precious love child of Pee Wee Herman and the character Hank Azaria played in The Birdcage >

Everyone is some combination of disgusted and uncomfortable >

Profit!

It seems to have gotten him through design school when he's not a very good designer, so it must be effective. He just apparently never did the math on suggesting to Zac Posen of all people that he should get a pass on his shoddy, amateurish construction because he's gay.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 7

The reason they all made things, basically, is because that is what Heidi wants. She jumped all over any bigger bottoms.

While her stuff is not insanely priced, I can't and won't pay $60 for a bra. Especially if it sized at S, M or L.

• Love 4

My double-D's laughed at the sad excuse for a bra that won.

Omg  how I lolled  at this!

Merline's  looked extremely uncomfortable to me.   I want comfort not architecture in my undies.

Overall , this episode made me feel skeevy especially Zac and his " Me Likey".  *gag*  Though, I

did laugh out loud a few times especially when Jake was talking about Blake and Tim's TMI comment!

I'm just glad we don't get a yearly underwear challenge.

I'm starting to find  Candice's "know it all" talking heads insufferable when she started out in my top 3

favorite's.

About Mood,  I read  somewhere  ( I think Blogging Project Runway ) that  their workroom was so far away

that it made the trips too hard to time manage this year.

Edited to add:   I wonder if Hanmiao  would have made square  cups for her bra.  

Edited by xtra-innings
  • Love 6

The reason they all made things, basically, is because that is what Heidi wants. She jumped all over any bigger bottoms.

Right?! Nina actually said "granny panty" about something that may have come up to within two inches of the belly button - Nina, dear, it isn't granny if most of the buttocks are exposed.

• Love 4

H21-1419.BLAK_BF_4.jpg

What an awkward pose. She looks either freezing or bound...

• Love 9

So almost everyone punted on the cover-up part of the challenge? That was disappointing. I would wear Ashley's, Joseph's, Jake's, and Kelly's (although I wasn't too fond of the lavender lace with the yellow print). I thought Laurie's bra was pretty, but what the heck was she thinking with the panties? I am the queen of the granny panty, but even I won't wear one that goes all the way up to my belly button. I appreciated what Merline was trying to do but she's lucky her model was so flat chested. That "bra" would be a disaster for most women. Swapnil's was fun. The straps didn't bother me. It looked like they were all attached to the standard straps and it shouldn't be a huge issue to take off or put on. I don't know what the heck Blake was thinking. The color and the cut screamed 1980s and then there was no support at all for the model. He should have stuck with his original pink ombre bra. I also thought Lindsay overreacted about her injury. One stitch? I would have just bandaged it up and finished. There was no need to rush to the ER for a tetanus shot. 

I knew as soon as they declared Merline was on the top that she would be the winner. Of all of them, it would be the easiest and cheapest to mass produce. Funny how the judges said it could be adapted to fit any body and yet, looking at it on Heidi's website, it only comes in S, M, and L, and according to their size chart, I'm sized completely out. Because I have, you know, boobs.

I can't recall from first viewing, and I don't care enough to look it up again, but did Blake actually make an underwire bra with soft cups that did not actually have any straps holding up said cups? The straps only held up the wire. No wonder he made those boobs look so floppy. Mournful tits. Bye, Blake.

I seem to be in the minority, but I didn't actually care for Ashley's or Swapnil's sets. I wasn't a fan of the boob cage look of Ashley's. I felt like the strappy detail didn't match at all with the lace and twee bow. Swapnil's straps looked just impossible to put on and take off. The way they ended in the back was odd as well. He should have taken off a strap or two and used them to finish the look in the back. I think I would have liked his much more if it were just double straps that crossed in the front.

I didn't think Jake's was so bad, but you can buy a polka-dot t-shirt bra anywhere. His in particular looked like a training bra and it made his model look about 13. I don't know why everyone is acting like thin side straps on the bottoms are the most horrible thing ever when I have seen a ton of panties and swim bottoms that have a similar style. The problem with Jake's is that the back of his panties were too wide and came around too high and far on the model and made the straps look awkward.

My favorites were Kelly's and was disappointed she wasn't in the top. I liked Joseph's bra, too, though his panties were strangely saggy.

Laurie and Blake, I haven't seen panties cut that high since the 80s. Which is strange, because I don't think either of you were even alive during the 80s.

Is it possible they're trying to spread the wins around a bit so they don't end up looking like Ashley, Swapnil and a bunch of cannon fodder?

I think you might be onto something. It's the only valid explanation as far as I'm concerned. Lol.

• Love 4

I can't believe the bras on Heidi's website are S, M, L - at least Merline's is. I have to try bras on so I don't order them on-line. Is it normal not to have precise cup and strap measurements for on-line ordering? (like 36C, etc.)

Just another indication of how cheap (not in price, but in how they are made) her product is.

Right?! Nina actually said "granny panty" about something that may have come up to within two inches of the belly button - Nina, dear, it isn't granny if most of the buttocks are exposed.

But, based on Gretchen's win, I thought they liked granny panties!  Maybe only when paired with a grandpa sweater.

In order to win, you had to make something that would fit in with Heidi's existing collection.  That meant the fabrics that she uses, as well as the general style.

All the shots of existing looks had very small panties.

• Love 3
My issue with Swapnil's as a "wedding night" outfit is that you'd need an assistant to help you get it ON (uh... pun intended I guess).

I don't think it would be hard at all.  ALL that strappy stuff was in the front.  The straps came together in one (badly constructed) point at each shoulder and were sewn onto the shoulder straps going down to the band.  The band was a normal band that fastens in the back.  From the back, Swapnil's bra looks exactly like every other bra you've ever had.  You would put this bra on in exactly the same way you would put on any other bra, no contortions or anything required. 

However, I think it would be highly unflattering, as that point at where the multiple straps were sewn onto the shoulder straps was very thick (as will happen when you sew a bunch of fabric together).  Also unflattering were the cups, which were all bunchy at the sides, and looked lumpy (either bad construction or he picked non-stretchy fabric or both).

His cover-up covered up a multitude of sins, IMO.  Frankly, I hated that bra, so take my opinion with that grain of salt.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4

Very disappointed with the winner... I thought Merline's look was just as bad as Blake's... it was poorly put together and I HATED the underwear. Not that a front seam and cameltoe is good, but it was like a V pointing to the crotch. I mean, I guess that could be what she was going for, but it just looked bad. I don't like the reimagined version for the website either though, so maybe it's just a style of bottoms I dislike.

I though Ashley should have won. The color choice and design was great. It looked really good on the model and fit well. The coverup was also an actual construction and not just a wrap of fabric.

I liked Swapnil's though I don't think it was the best ever. The beige pieces didn't look right. I also don't think his bra would really be that hard to get into/out of, it looks fancy in the front, but the back was complete normal bra... unhook it and bam, boobies are free.

Blake's was terrible and I'm fine with him going. He was grating on the nerves in addition to bad designs. The other bottom looks were bottom worthy, but I do think the judges made the right choice (unless they wanted to send Merline home, I would have been okay with that too)

I don't know why they offered base bras if they were going to ding people for making use of them. If Merline got extra praise for 'building her own' it seems like a sabotage to give them bra pieces to work with in the first place.  Plus, it's a bra and panties, how unique can it really be??? I don't have a problem with the designers making some use of the already made bras if they actually did something to them, like Ashley.

There was definitely a lot of terrible underwear out there. I think Joseph had the right idea with his talking head about why so much of the high waisted huge panties? His might have 'relaxed' a little before the runway making them look loose, but he at least knew where the waistband should fall.

Overall, i thought this challenge could have had some potential... but was majorly disappointing.

Edited by Jjrmt
  • Love 2

izabella, I was just about to say the same thing about Swapnil's front-loaded straps; fortunately, I clicked on "Show me" when your post arrived while I was typing.

How does Heidi muster up the energy to even pretend that she thinks these types of ideas are fun and clever?

They're fun for Heidi - she loves torturing designers.

Edited by ChelseaNH
  • Love 1

Workroom:

LOL at Jake's producer's "Um" during his TH.
"Heaven" for Laurie's boyfriend. Cute.
LOL at Candice's TH. She's lost some of her sheen, is getting Gretcheny, but I don't hate her.
I like seeing Merline using her architectural strength to 'build' a bra, but it turned out fugly.
LOL @ Jake speaking to Blake. Practically weeping. A challenge so perfect for these misogynistic men.  Jake doesn't know it, but hipsters and boy shorts are the best. It's actually nice that he considered your model.
I'm not missing Amanda's voice in the workroom at all! I do wish Swatch would come and visit, though.
I like Kelly's toned down attitude, she's grown on me.
Swapnil - "I'm praying to 10,000 of my Indian Gods."
Not feeling optimistic about Laurie's panties.
Lindsey re hearing Tim: "I think I left my tv on - oh, I'm on tv." made me laugh.
I don't mind Swapnil's concept, but the execution looks really, really tacky. Blake's cotton candy pink is so junior and chintzy.
Merline's model is pretty.

Runway:
Swapnil - it's kinda bad on top, saggy on bottom. too much look for me.
Ashley - pretty, delicate, bottom fits well. "It's yummy!" The only one of the three on top that I actually could/would wear.
Jake = the bra is a little too cute, but marketable. the bottom is bad.
Edmond - cheesy stripe in the underwear, top fits poorly, I like the color of the wrap.
Lindsey - I like the cut of the panties, but not that it's layered. the bra is cute.
Candice - that's pretty ugly on top, don't mind the bottom.
Joe - the bra's a little weird, but not horrible. the panties are nothing new.
Merline - cute bottoms! I like the concept of the top, but it looks weird, but I think maybe her model's boobs are a little weird.
Blake - Ew. Pepto pink, and the straps are odd. Sporty meets French? LMAO. I like that the judges are truth-talking him. The back is fucking awful.
Laurie - I get it, I don't mind it. Kinda cute, I like the knot. The panties aren't great.
Kelly -  I think it was successful. The undies don't fit great. The coverup is cute.

Jake/Blake auf'ing? either way, we, the audience, are the winners here. Blake's comments about who he dresses have doomed him, I'm quite sure. OOh, say goodbye to both of them! Say goodbye to both of them!
Ah, well heck. I'm glad for Merline. Cute idea, for sure. Just losing Blake is just fine with me.

Edited by Grandma Saracen

A designer who has no desire to design for breasts should design for men, or maybe children.  Sorry, but he's a dumbass.

• Love 3
young Ickarus

<applause>

Whoa. Bit harsh, dude.  Perhaps you're calling Heidi a whore because she has actually taken money from you in exchange for sexual acts, but I think we're past the days of calling a woman a whore because of her taste in clothing.

I'm a woman, not a "dude" (I know you meant no offense, but it's just way too close to dudebro for me:) and -- sarcasm in my previous Mom Whore comment aside -- I do think Heidi perpetuates the idea that a woman's body is only good for being "whored" out (in quotes because whores are fantasy objects, not sex workers -- which I guess also places Heidi in pimp camp -- seller and user?) Anyway, her esthetic never runs to empowering sexual imagery, but to seeing the female body as an object to be consumed.

I think Joseph had the right idea with his talking head about why so much of the high waisted huge panties

I did not like the range of bottoms (can't say the P word:); cut too high, or cut so they sat with a bit of a dip across the top band --  some of the models, even with their flattest of all abdomens, looked like they had a bit of a tummy -- so many unflattering looks.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5

I'm just grateful that they managed to find some synonyms for "panty".  if not, I would have gone around the bend like I do every time I hear a Victoria's Secret ad.

UGH. For me, the word "panty" (or "panties") is like the word "moist" for some people. I can handle "moist." I enjoy a really moist cupcake, for example. (LOL.) But the word "panties" drives me NUTS. I don't know why. I just don't like the word. It sounds obnoxious to me. It's got kind of a nasal sound to it and overall it sounds childish to me, like some word someone created to avoid saying other words. It's just weird and annoying and kind of dumb-sounding and I hate it. When I refer to my lingerie, I say "bras and underwear." If I had my way, the word "panties" would fade into obscurity as some never-used-again, out of date piece of language.

I can't believe the bras on Heidi's website are S, M, L - at least Merline's is. I have to try bras on so I don't order them on-line. Is it normal not to have precise cup and strap measurements for on-line ordering? (like 36C, etc.)

I think it's just Merline's or bras like Merline's, which have no real structure to them so they can't have a true cup size applied? I clicked around the site and looked at a few of the bras and they went up to about 38F. If Heidi had gone into the 40's I would have been more impressed with her for trying to consider larger sized women. Alas, she apparently only wants money from people who are 38 or under.  *sigh*

• Love 7

My double-Ds laughed at the sad excuse for a bra that won.

LOL....mine too! I couldn't have gotten away with that little coverage in the fifth grade!!

I couldn't have gotten away with that little coverage in the womb.

Swapnil's did look costumey, but I liked it anyway. It looked more appropriate for Fredrick's Of Hollywood, a Victoria's Secret runway show or, as some judges/ Game Of Thrones fans said, "Khaleesi's wedding night," but at least Swapnil doesn't act like he failed Women's Biology 101-unlike, say, Blake.

Ashley's definitely should've won. It was a great color, great style, had great support and looked like something that women of most, if not all, sizes could wear.

Buh-bye, Blake. I hope that the door kicked your ass on the way out.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

UGH. For me, the word "panty" (or "panties") is like the word "moist" for some people. I can handle "moist." I enjoy a really moist cupcake, for example. (LOL.) But the word "panties" drives me NUTS. I don't know why. I just don't like the word. It sounds obnoxious to me. It's got kind of a nasal sound to it and overall it sounds childish to me, like some word someone created to avoid saying other words. It's just weird and annoying and kind of dumb-sounding and I hate it. When I refer to my lingerie, I say "bras and underwear." If I had my way, the word "panties" would fade into obscurity as some never-used-again, out of date piece of language.

When my granddaughter got out of diapers, I asked her one day if she needed clean panties.  She loudly and emphatically told me, "THEY'RE NOT PANTIES!  THEY'RE UNDERWEAR!" 

• Love 13
Just looked at Heidi's line, and basically, she only offers bikinis and thongs. Even her boy shorts are so tiny. I am thin but still like a decent hipster cut, at least. Not interested in picking at my underwear all day long.

Thank you!  Even when I was really thin the vast majority of my underwear was designed for comfort and coverage.  Even now, I do have some sexy items.  They are still more substantial than Heidi's offerings.

Seeing Merline's bra being offered in S/M/L proves that it is a breast covering, not a bra.  There is a reason bras are sold by band size and cup size.  The S/M/L offering let's you know that it only fits the small breasts that the model has.  I assume the model is in that awkward position because she is using her arms to hold the straps into place.

I would've put any designer who placed the ubiquitous useless bow on the bra in the bottom.  I could not believe how many of them did that!  Such a stupid detail.

I hate those damn bows. 

I cut them off my bras.  I agree - so stupid!

I can see why Swapnil’s was in the top.  It really walked well.  But it is incredibly impractical.  I volunteer for a group that helps homeless youth.  We were sorting and folding clothes and one of the guys had to ask me what something was.  It was so confusing he wasn’t even sure what type of article of clothing it was.  It took me a while to arrange this tank top with a knotted racerback and shelf bra.  I can imagine someone pulling Swapnil’s bra out of a drawer and staring at it for a long time while trying to figure out how to put it on.

From the previews, someone mentions vagina again next week.  I would like Laverne Cox to appear in character as Sophia on Orange Is the New Black to explain female genitalia to these designers and judges.  She’s done it on one show; I’m sure she’s prepared.  She can use the same props.

• Love 4