Type keyword(s) to search

Aged Well: Old Shows That Are Better Than You Remember

The creation of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime have generated the ability to rewatch old shows that would have once been lost in the ether. Some of these shows do not stand the test of time while others remain true testaments of television at its best.

What old shows are better then you remember?

My number one entry is Xena. Even twenty years later it is just as fabulous as the first time I watched it.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

The creation of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime have generated the ability to rewatch old shows that would have once been lost in the ether. Some of these shows do not stand the test of time while others remain true testaments of television at its best.

What old shows are better then you remember?

My number one entry is Xena. Even twenty years later it is just as fabulous as the first time I watched it.

I had remembered original-recipe NBC Star Trek (more popularly known as TOS) as incredibly boring when I first saw some of it with my brother. It wasn't until much later when I saw it through from the remastered DVD releases that I really appreciated it as being the hallmark of television that it was (despite it lasting only those three seasons, 1966-69). I think that the remastering really drew me into it. 

• Love 5

Is it okay if they are shows I didn't watch before, but are pretty great?

I recently watched most of  the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys Mysteries, and it was much better than I expected. A little corny, but that's fun. There are some great stories there and all the main characters are likable. I'd call it a comedy-drama.  I even seeked a few out on Youtube that weren't on Netflix.  The 70s atmosphere is so much fun.

I also just started watching Columbo. So. Great.  Peter Falk was a treasure.  Even though the murderer is given away in the beginning, it's so much fun to watch Columbo trip them up.

Murder She Wrote is a lot of fun too. 

• Love 7

Picking nits: the thread title should be Old Shows That Are Better ThAn You Remember. Is there a mod around who could change it?

I can't think of any shows that are better than I remembered but there are some that aren't as bad as I was afraid they would be when I rewatched. Man from U.N.C.L.E., Laredo, and some Dr. Who.

• Love 1

Cheers. I remember hating when my mom would want to watch this boring show. I didn't mind watching Golden Girls, Empty Nest, or any other random sitcom that was popular in the '90s, but Cheers was painful for me to sit through. I don't think I even understood that it was a comedy even though it had a laugh track. It just seemed so dour to me, especially the opening theme song. It reeked of depression to me. Watching it as an adult, it's actually pretty funny. 

• Love 3

My vote is Malcolm in the Middle. Watched it on netflix a couple of years ago and was surprised at how clever, rebellious, and funny it was. In my mind previously it was just a stupid sitcom. That being said, show would have been 100% perfect without Francis on it. He was just like..on his own show for some reason.

• Love 2

Yeah, I always thought that was odd. From day one, Francis was nearly always either at school or after he left school, up north being a lumberjack (I think) and finally married with a kid. He'd pop in for an episode or two but his stories rarely ever had anything to do with what was going on in the family.

The rest of the episodes were pure gold. If I hadn't completely lost my taste for sitcoms this is the first one I'd rewatch.

Edited by CoderLady

Yeah, I always thought that was odd. From day one, Francis was nearly always either at school or after he left school, up north being a lumberjack (I think) and finally married with a kid.

He was working in Alaska. He thought he was going to work on an oil rig but he ended up being a bus boy in a crappy restaurant. It's where he met the woman who would be his wife. As for the school: it was a military school his parents sent him too to straighten him out but it never took. Honestly the one real point of Francis was how much he was like his mother. He had his father's personality but his mothers temperament. The scenes where they were fighting were some of the best and sometimes funniest.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

I don't know whether I found Dewey or Reese more hilarious. Probably Dewey when he was younger because he was also so adorable, but then Reese was effing classic. Honestly, Malcolm was the other worst part of that show other than Francis! lol

My favorite episode was when Dewey thinks there's a whole other house under theirs, where there's "magical pants" (non hand-me-downs) and his mother is actually nice to him. LOL

Also when Brian Cranston roller skates. Or speed walks.

Damn. Literally sitting here giggling to myself. Now I want to rewatch it! Does anyone know what the Dewey/House episode is called?

Except I hated the series finale. When Lois tells Malcolm he's going to be President and that whole speech, it was just so stupid.

Edited by BrittaBot
  • Love 5
Except I hated the series finale. When Lois tells Malcolm he's going to be President and that whole speech, it was just so stupid.

I actually liked the series finale and I thought it fit well with the series as a whole.  I think you missed the point of Lois's speech to Malcom.  It was less about him being President and more an answer to the question of why she wasn't letting him take the easy path.  You have to remember that Malcolm is "that guy".  The smartest guy in any room who will always talk himself out of success. He never takes the easy path.  (There was a funny moment late in the series where he convinces Dewey (who a teacher thinks is actually smart) to bomb on the genius test  so he won't end und up in the "special class"  and he ends up messing up so badly that he winds up in the other end of "special"  but unlike Malcolm he makes the best of it.   On a side note one of the things I like best about the show is that it was able to take; i'll go with both sides of "special" and make it funny for episodes at a time without being insensitive.) So when the golden ticket to success is dropped in his lap he of course wants to take it so when his mother rips it up he doesn't understand.  Queue the speech.   Lois doesn't want him to take the easy path.  She never did.  She wants him to work hard.  She wants him to be "that guy" who works twice as hard as everyone else and yes she expects him to one day become President.  The whole family does.  Didn't he know that?    

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

From day one, Francis was nearly always either at school or after he left school, up north being a lumberjack (I think) and finally married with a kid. He'd pop in for an episode or two but his stories rarely ever had anything to do with what was going on in the family.

What I never understood was that with four sons, Malcolm was not technically the only one in the middle --so was Reese, so what was the point of the title?

IIRC, the youngest son was born after the series started, about the same time Jane Kazmarek's youngest was born.

Right. That kid, Jamie, made 5 sons & truly put Malcolm in the middle (as I remember, he was son #3). In real life Jane Kaczmarek & her (sadly--they seemed to be a cool couple, back in the day) now ex-husband, The West Wing & Transparent Emmy winning actor Bradley Whitford, had their second daughter (of 3 kids--girl/boy/girl), Mary Louisa. I think Jane & Bradley divorced shortly after both Malcolm & TWW ended (but I'm not positive).

Edited by BW Manilowe
Cheers. I remember hating when my mom would want to watch this boring show. I didn't mind watching Golden Girls, Empty Nest, or any other random sitcom that was popular in the '90s, but Cheers was painful for me to sit through. I don't think I even understood that it was a comedy even though it had a laugh track. It just seemed so dour to me, especially the opening theme song. It reeked of depression to me. Watching it as an adult, it's actually pretty funny.

That's funny because I think the theme song is one of the most uplifting songs ever made for TV.  I was fully on board with Cheers even as a kid, but it also happened to be the Kirstie Alley era, which I know is not as considered as good as as the Shelly Long years, but IMO were more fun.  I loved the episodes about the rivalry with Gary's Old Towne Tavern and the  storylines with Robin Colcord(RIP Roger Rees) were awesome. Also it was filmed in front of a studio audience and didn't use a laugh track:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Started watching Hill Street Blues a few days ago. I had forgotten how good it was. Frank Furillo was such a great character and Joyce Davenport is the original Erin Reagan except she was a public defendant not a prosecutor. But I have gotten used to most tv shows today following stories for more than one episode. For instance I know Phil Esterhaus faints at his wedding to the teenager, but it's never spoken of again, he's just with Grace. And JD Larue, is finally forced by his peers and his boss into seeking help for his drinking, Frank had told him to put in for a transfer because he didn't want him in his prescient, but in the next episode, he's in roll call. But characters do remain the same, Fay is still a pain in the butt, Joyce and Frank are still a couple, Henry is such a psychoanalyst, Phil has his women problems and Howard doesn't get any, well maybe he does later, I'm still in season one.

And what does it say, that I'd rather watch re-runs of this show than most of current tv?

And MASH was excellent, holds up well in re-runs. 

• Love 5

Perry Mason and Adam-12

Perry Mason especially! Like original NBC Star Trek, this 1957-66 CBS legal series w/Raymond Burr was a show that I had not seen that much of in my youth, but now, I'm almost through seven seasons' worth on DVD, and its accolades have been proven and very well-deserved. 

• Love 6
Frasier for me. It did nothing for me the years it was originally on the air, but I grew to love it over the last couple years. I've decided that it didn't work for me originally because I was just too young for it (the show ended when I was 22)...even in its wackiest moments, it's very much a comedy for adults.
  • Love 8

Frasier for me. It did nothing for me the years it was originally on the air, but I grew to love it over the last couple years. I've decided that it didn't work for me originally because I was just too young for it (the show ended when I was 22)...even in its wackiest moments, it's very much a comedy for adults.

That's also why I did not see it originally-- I was 23 when it quit out in 2004, and it is only now since I have that CBS DVD repackaged full-series release that I have seen some of why Frasier was spoken of so highly (I'm almost through three seasons' worth [almost roughly through a quarter of the series], and IMO, it's much better than Cheers). 

• Love 4
The Closer. Every time I rewatch an episode, I see bits of foreshadowing, clues worthy of a Perry Mason episode, facial expressions that reveal intent, and parallel meanings--plus Provenza's Christmas ties and Brenda's wardrobe. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

That Girl. I've been watching the marathon this weekend, and it's really smartly written, funny, and ahead of its time in terms of showing an independent woman.

Oh good to know! She's in a show in NYC I have tickets for and I heard her speak recently and really liked her.

When I was little I used to draw all women's hair as if it naturally just flipped up at the end.

• Love 3

Still holding up for me: Northern Exposure, M*A*S*H, and The Wonder Years. Not sure if it's a "good" show or not, but I still enjoy Leave It To Beaver, mostly for the nostalgia.

Not good on rewatch: Magnum PI, Knight Rider, China Beach.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Still holding up for me: Northern Exposure, M*A*S*H, and The Wonder Years. Not sure if it's a "good" show or not, but I still enjoy Leave It To Beaver, mostly for the nostalgia.

Not good on rewatch: Magnum PI, Knight Rider, China Beach.

I can only rewatch the 'serious' Magnum episodes, Did You See the Sun Rise, Home From The Sea, Echoes of the Mind, Limbo, Unfinished Business.

The other ones are all pretty much the same.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

And MASH was excellent, holds up well in re-runs.

Ugh, just hearing the theme song from MASH sends me diving for the remote control. Not because I didn't love it in its original run, but my dad watched the reruns obsessively for so many years it became torture for me. I guess it was a Korea thing.

• Love 1

I watched a few episodes of My Mother the Car when Antenna started running it in December.  It's basically a dull, generic 60's family sitcom, no better,no worse.    But it's amazing that it has developed the reputation of being The Worst Show Ever in the Whole History of Television.   And of course it only retains it because at this point it SOUNDS completely stupid and almost nobody has ever seen it. It became notorious almost immediately - my parents wouldn't watch it, for example.   In context the central premise of the dead mother living on as the car seems in keeping with other 60's supernatural shows like Mr Ed or I Dream of Jeannie or Bewitched or My Favorite Martian - or Knight Rider for that matter for later TV.  So - good show, no.  Worst Show EVER, also no.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Useful 1
In context the central premise of the dead mother living on as the car seems in keeping with other 60's shows like Mr Ed or I Dream of Jeannie - or Knight Rider for that matter.  So - good show, no.  Worst Show EVER, also no.

My family all used to like My Mother the Car. Also My Favorite Martian, Bewitched, Car 54 Where Are You, and The Flying Nun. I personally thought Mr. Ed was a little on the silly side but adored Jeannie. Don't look at me like that. There were basically only 3 channels plus UHF, and all of TV was still pretty new and fun.

As for the comedic aspects, I think family sitcoms like Leave It to Beaver, The Donna Reed Show, Father Knows Best, or Family Affair probably hold up a little better. (Sorry, mom, but when I was 10, I would have traded you in for Donna Reed in a heartbeat!)

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

I think shows from before the "hippie" era age better than those during this period - for a couple reasons. First, the clothes and hair were SO extreme (what were we thinking!), and second, because they spent so much time convincing their audience that they were "hip" and "mod".  For example, on "Bewitched", I like the older black/white episodes so much better than those where Samantha is wearing her hair long and straight and wearing love beads, tight striped mini skirts and go-go boots.

Edited by MaryMitch
  • Love 3

Every time I go home to visit my parents, I watch Perry Mason with my Mom (very formulaic, but entertaining. Its holds up really well in my opinion) and Get Smart with my Dad (still quite funny and clever. WAY better than that Steve Carrel update a few years ago). 

I also just re-watched some of The Prisoner, and its just the perfect combination of 60s spy coolness, trippiness, and intelligence. Its even legitimately creepy a few times. Its one of my personal favorites. 

• Love 2

My local PBS station has been running Prime Suspect on Monday nights and it completely holds up.  They are up to Season 3, which must have a cast for the ages:  Helen Mirren, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Peter Capaldi, David Thewlis, Jonny Lee Miller, James Frain,   All in a TV mini-series.

• Love 5

My local PBS station has been running Prime Suspect on Monday nights and it completely holds up.  They are up to Season 3, which must have a cast for the ages:  Helen Mirren, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Peter Capaldi, David Thewlis, Jonny Lee Miller, James Frain,   All in a TV mini-series.

I had forgotten how many great people were in Season 3.  I loved Prime Suspect (for the most part, there were a few weak stories about the time they were doing more 2 part movie episodes) and can honestly say that my very first sight of Ralph Fiennes was as a victim's boyfriend in the first season.

• Useful 1

What a cool thread!

My contributions

1)  Blossom.  I know that I loved this show as a kid.  I tried to rewatch it recently and I was kind of blown away.  I've always meant to keep on, but I think I got halfway through Season 1 so far.  It would be cool to get this on DVD but I don't think all the seasons are available.  Anyways, it seemed very smart and well acted and feel-good.  Mayim Bialik was so talented at this age.  I even saw the episode where it crossed over with Fresh Prince and was like OMG!!!  (I never had to rewatch Fresh Prince with trepidation; I've continuously loved that since childhood.  Same with Frasier, Seinfeld, Friends, etc.)

2)  Ally McBeal.  I rewatched it recently.  It was such a load of fucking fun.  My Dad and I watched this religiously when I was (a teen? A pre-teen?).  Watching this show is like being on a see-saw of finding a lot of things about it so annoying and yet loving it all the same.  (Kind of like Gilmore Girls?).  It's interesting to watch it with the knowledge of the rampant anorexia (we knew it back then, it's just that the celebrities are actually ADMITTING it now -- did anyone read Portia de Rossi's autobiography?).  But I was binging it like crazy -- made it all the way to Season 5, and I was so addicted!   This reminds me of how and why I totally idolized Lucy Liu at that age and still do.  God, is she so fucking cool.  It's one of those experiences where I wanted to try and force other people to binge on it with me.  So far, it won't work.

To join in on others.  I've always wanted to get into Cheers because I'm a huge Frasier fan but I haven't been able to.  (I'm also a big baseball fan, and I'm sure I like all of the actors on it.)  Funny to see Frasier mentioned here -- that's not before my time I guess, I'm right smack in the middle of it.  One of my top 10 shows.

I watched all of The Closer about 5 years ago and loved it.  I watched all of Without a Trace a few years ago and loved it.  Gilmore Girls just devoured in 2013.  I tried to get into Cold Case but never made it far.  I obviously have no problem starting old shows.  I think that's one of the coolest things about this time and our access to technology, etc.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1

For whatever reason, I started marathoning Columbo on NetFlix. (I have a weird obsession about watching shows that began a few years before my birth [1975]). I actually like it and really enjoy the inverted narrative.

• Love 4

Dang!  Mine is not playing this and I so want to see it.

For whatever reason, I started marathoning Columbo on NetFlix. (I have a weird obsession about watching shows that began a few years before my birth [1975]). I actually like it and really enjoy the inverted narrative.

If you have cable/satellite TV & your channels include Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, Columbo is on there Monday-Friday mornings at 7AM Eastern.

• Love 2

I'd have to check, but I think Prime Suspect episodes are available on Hulu for free, DeLurker.

The PBS station runs ads (I know!) for the dvd's - sold online by something ACORN.  I always think, I should write that down....

I had once before thought that the old BBC series All Creatures Great and Small (about the life and career of famed British vet James Herriot [real name Alf Wight]; Christopher Timothy was Herriot) would be one of the most boring things I ever saw (I had originally rented it from Netflix for a test drive and found it quite boring and slow-moving). However, I very recently purchased the first series' worth (what we Americans call seasons), and it's actually not too bad; in fact, I'm about to be through two series' worth, and will probably be starting on the third really soon.