Type keyword(s) to search

Aged Well: Old Shows That Are Better Than You Remember

The No Ma’am years at the end is where Married with Children really went downhill. Although I did love the running joke with the reporter’s overly long name. “This is Miranda Veracruz de la Jolla Cardinal!”

• Love 4
22 hours ago, kariyaki said:

The No Ma’am years at the end is where Married with Children really went downhill. Although I did love the running joke with the reporter’s overly long name. “This is Miranda Veracruz de la Jolla Cardinal!”

Although thinking  back I did kinda like the concept of Psycho Dad and would have loved to see that in practice even if just for an episode or two.  

• Love 3
On 2/12/2018 at 12:07 PM, cleo said:
On 2/12/2018 at 1:55 AM, SVNBob said:

There is a reason they were nicknamed "The Pre-Fab 4"....

How did their timeline line up with the Beatles? I'm confused about timing between the Beatles, Beach Boys, and Monkees...because  I thought I read somewhere that the Monkees built their idea of the music videos or romps off the success of the yellow submarine film, which I think was 1966. Wasn't that prior to the Monkees? I guess I assumed Monkees and Beach Boys were copycats, which doesn't mean they didn't have distinct talent, etc., just that the Beatles were first. 

as someone who was in Jr. High School at the time of the Beach Boys and the Beatles, they became really famous about the same time, but I think the Beach Boys had some hits before the Beatles came on the scene. The Monkees came out when I was in High School. I think they were a sort of response to The British Invasion. I never thought of those musical scenes as romps, but that is a pretty good description of them. I was also disappointed to lose Man from U.N.C.L.E., I was an Ilya girl all the way! Now that's a show that in many ways doesn't hold up, but in other ways was very ahead of it's time. I saw a few episodes on very late night H&I when I first shut off cable. I can't remember much about them except they used a lot of sexual innuendo. Or as in one of my favorite misspellings from my working days, sexual in yer window.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, friendperidot said:

as someone who was in Jr. High School at the time of the Beach Boys and the Beatles, they became really famous about the same time, but I think the Beach Boys had some hits before the Beatles came on the scene. The Monkees came out when I was in High School. I think they were a sort of response to The British Invasion. I never thought of those musical scenes as romps, but that is a pretty good description of them.  

And it's interesting that,for a time, the Beach Boys and Beatles considered the latter day band part of their circles. Mr. Dolenz said that the Beatles nicknamed him 'Monkee-Man' .

At the time the Monkees debuted, the Beatles and Beach Boys were entrenched teen idols but the Monkees took up the gap with preteens who were too young for the first two bands but had outgrown Captain Kangaroo! Of course, what happened was that the initial generation grew up and stayed fans but by the time they became genuine teens and adults, the show had long since gotten cancelled by the network and the band had (at the time) broken up! 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Blergh said:

the Monkees took up the gap with preteens who were too young for the first two bands but had outgrown Captain Kangaroo! Of course, what happened was that the initial generation grew up and stayed fans but by the time they became genuine teens and adults, the show had long since gotten cancelled by the network and the band had (at the time) broken up! 

You've just described my mom in a nutshell here :D. 

• Love 4

I was too young to watch it when it was new, but I've discovered a show from 1963-64 called Arrest and Trial. It was an early Law and Order, with the first half devoted to the police investigation and the second half to the trial. I've only seen a couple of episodes, but one guest starring Mickey Rooney as a heroin addict was ahead of its time in its plea for a re-examination of laws criminalizing addicts.

• Useful 3