Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Oh, good. That partially offsets my disappointment in his embarrassing performance. 

This group really did need the "Letters that are G" and "Say your name" categories. Maybe what Jeopardy needs to do is give them answers in advance.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ABay said:

This group really did need the "Letters that are G" and "Say your name" categories.

Naming the three colors of the French was very close to those.

I couldn't believe Anderson didn't get "snake with a hood." 

Coincidentally, I first heard of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon just the other day on a TV show, which I can't recall right now.

• Love 7

I only watched last night's episode for Anderson Cooper.  Power players huh?  I j'adore A.C. and I know that he graduated from Yale so I would assume even for celebrities you need to have a somewhat high I.Q. to participate soooo....IDK maybe it was just an off night for him.  And when celebrities are on this show that the show has a bit more laid back feel to it.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

He seemed totally flummoxed by the name of the category "Words From the Portuguese" (or whatever it was), muttering a couple of times that he didn't know any Portuguese and couldn't quite grasp that it would be a word we use in English.

• Love 4

I'm skipping this week because I don't care for any of the participants except Al Franken, but I saw a news bit about the Cam Newton TS.  Had the Panthers not been mentioned in the clue, I wouldn't have had the slightest notion, but since he's the only Carolina Panther of whom I've ever heard, I'd have said Cam Newton.

• Love 1

After enduring last night's game, I knew there would be some very snarky comments here and I wasn't disappointed!

It's still shocking that MS couldn't at least come up with a guess for FJ. One only needs a basic knowledge of the geography of that region to do so. Instead he makes a joke about how dim he is. Points for self-awareness, I guess.

Sen. Franken is a Harvard grad so he at least shouldn't embarrass himself. I'll be so disappointed if he does.

• Love 6
(edited)
15 hours ago, dcalley said:

Save yourselves and skip Tuesday's game if you haven't already been subjected to it!

Michael Steele couldn't get Colin Powell. Nobody could get Colin Powell (and many other easy questions).

Oh, dear dog, really?!?!?!?!?  I knew Michael Steele was as dumb as a box of rocks, but still.

I just looked this game up on the archive, and while there were maybe three or four clues I wouldn't have gotten, I still can't believe how lame these contestants were.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

That was painful. We were spoiled Monday night. This was never going to be as good based on who was playing, but damn. The FJ question was basically what country is located between India and Afghanistan? It was so simple I started to second guess myself because no way would it be that easy.

Michael should have just stayed home for the 3 questions he answered. I'll give him credit though because he was 3 for 3 at least.

The number of TS was shocking and for questions that shouldn't be that hard. The Stalin one or cervical cancer or Social Secretary or Colin Powell. That "A Brief History of Time" author was a $2000 clue and a Triple Stumper was maybe the saddest one of all for me. Plus this group seemed to have an aversion to the $200/$400 clues and they needed those easy ones. Hopefully tonight is better.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

Sen. Franken is a Harvard grad so he at least shouldn't embarrass himself. I'll be so disappointed if he does.

Anderson Cooper is a Yale grad, and that didn't stop him from embarrassing himself.  I have to admit I was a little surprised by how badly he did.  I was expecting better.

• Love 10
(edited)
22 minutes ago, vibeology said:

That was painful. We were spoiled Monday night. This was never going to be as good based on who was playing, but damn. The FJ question was basically what country is located between India and Afghanistan? It was so simple I started to second guess myself because no way would it be that easy.

Michael should have just stayed home for the 3 questions he answered. I'll give him credit though because he was 3 for 3 at least.

The number of TS was shocking and for questions that shouldn't be that hard. The Stalin one or cervical cancer or Social Secretary or Colin Powell. That "A Brief History of Time" author was a $2000 clue and a Triple Stumper was maybe the saddest one of all for me. Plus this group seemed to have an aversion to the $200/$400 clues and they needed those easy ones. Hopefully tonight is better.

All of this.  But the bolded?  Oh Em Gee.  The word Punjabi was included in the clue and India and Afghanistan are excluded as the answer.  Really ya'll?   I hadn't invested any feelings in Lara, but my crush on Anderson is diluted.   He must've still been reeling from Cobra.

Edited by ZaldamoWilder
referenced *the bolded* and didn't bold. :O
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, secnarf said:

Did Alex seriously ask Lara about her being sexually assaulted in the interview portion?! I was pouring tea at the time and actually splashed it on myself in shock when I heard that. 

I was shocked too. She didn't flinch and gave a great answer to her credit. I'm glad she won.

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Naming the three colors of the French was very close to those.

Coincidentally, I first heard of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon just the other day on a TV show, which I can't recall right now.

Silicon Valley? One of the recruiters used it get Gilfoyle to come to a meeting.

• Love 2

Michael Steele and I would most likely not ever be friends but damn he was hot.  What a disappointment.

Without sounding like a complete Jeopardy! snob, my biggest issue is that NONE OF THEM acted like they have ever even seen the show before.  I mean, I get it, people who are always on the move don't have time to make sure they are home to watch every day, but for cod's sack.  The show is fifty years old.  Alex Trebek is a freaking pop culture icon.  And if you know you are going to be on, maybe brush up a little.  Watch an ep on demand while in the makeup chair at your job.  Play some Trivial Pursuit or something.

• Love 4
(edited)
18 hours ago, secnarf said:

Did Alex seriously ask Lara about her being sexually assaulted in the interview portion?! I was pouring tea at the time and actually splashed it on myself in shock when I heard that. 

Were you also wearing pearls? That you then clutched? Heh. I was trying to squeeze in this episode while getting ready this morning,  and for a moment I thought my half-alive brain was playing tricks on me when that happened.  But reading here about how open Logan is about her experiences makes me better able to believe they vetted that question and that she chose to speak about her assault. It was still awkwardly done as all hell, though.

Franken is my former senator,  and I'm still devoted to him; I know he'll make a good showing, and I have my fingers crossed for Melissa Harris-Perry and Louis C. K. too. If their games end up like yesterday's, I'm going to have to keep reminding myself it's all for charity.

Edited by Lois Sandborne
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Great googly moogly. So very very bad. I was hoping that DJ would have Colors that are Red, or Name a Number...any number. 

Michael Steele would have been outplayed by a wooden post. 

My husband suggested that they should have done the category "colors that rhyme with 'purple'."

Back when Michael Steele was GOP chair, "The Daily Show" used to feature a regular segment in which Jon Stewart would interview Steele in Muppet form. I'm pretty sure Muppet Michael Steele would have done better than the real thing.

As for Anderson Cooper, he actually hosts a quiz show himself. CNN airs an occasional "CNN Quiz" program in which they pit hosts against each other. Maybe he's just used to having all the answers written on cards.

• Love 4

Anderson was actually doing pretty well in SJ! but then he got a few wrong in a row, and I think it threw him.  He was much more reluctant to ring in after that, and I think a few times he could have, but was too nervous too.  Yes, they are familiar with the lights and cameras aspect, but I think there is still tremendous pressure not to look stupid.

I was shocked at how few clues we saw though.  I didn't care for Lara L., but I looked her up and she is apparently from South Africa and has lived most of her life abroad.  It is entirely possible that she's really never seen the show before.

Anderson's been on before, for god's sake, and I love the guy--he's just sooo cute and a really nice fella!--but come on Anderson, did you think you were still doing The Mole????

• Love 4

I asked my husband if he could name the Carolina Panthers quarterback and he said he could not, off the top of his head.

So while I can give them a pass on not knowing Cam in relation to the Panthers, I cannot give them a pass for Lara's "that's sports, we don't know sports" and the agreement from the peanut gallery.  You are news people.  He was just IN THE NEWS for more than his play on the field.  I wouldn't expect them to know the QB of, say, the Miami Dolphins but Cam is a huge presence not just in the NFL.

• Love 3

So while I can give them a pass on not knowing Cam in relation to the Panthers, I cannot give them a pass for Lara's "that's sports, we don't know sports" and the agreement from the peanut gallery.  You are news people.  He was just IN THE NEWS for more than his play on the field.

I agree; he had just played in the Super Bowl a couple of months before this was filmed.  There were numerous stories about him, specifically, before the game, and much resulting media commentary on whether a racist double standard was at play when talking about his attitude and comportment (spoiler alert: duh), and much attention paid to his "sore loser" press conference after the game.

• Love 2

Re: today. 

Spoiler

Just finished round 1. I never thought it would be possible for a game to be MORE annoying than yesterday. Hoo boy. This girl is even worse than the girl yesterday. Can we get a decent woman representing us, please?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I asked my husband if he could name the Carolina Panthers quarterback and he said he could not, off the top of his head.

So while I can give them a pass on not knowing Cam in relation to the Panthers, I cannot give them a pass for Lara's "that's sports, we don't know sports" and the agreement from the peanut gallery.  You are news people.  He was just IN THE NEWS for more than his play on the field.  I wouldn't expect them to know the QB of, say, the Miami Dolphins but Cam is a huge presence not just in the NFL.

I watch plenty of news, and sports-related stories are heard by me in Charlie Brown's teacher's voice. I found Alex's questioning of Lara Logan uncomfortable, not because she isn't open about it, but because Jeopardy just is not the venue, IMO, for the subject. Still, her name is one I want added to the Superman cast of characters. Poor Anderson. On the plus side, Wolf Blitzer doesn't have to be the only one avoiding mentioning Jeopardy at work from now on. Michael Steele's songs were some of my favorites by the Bangles.

I am sad now that I recorded last night's game to watch today.  What a terrible, terrible game.  I expected better of Anderson Cooper!

Lara was exceedingly annoying, but in the end, I think they all should have lost, they did so badly.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

At least we have Senator Franken to look forward to.  He takes this seriously and always does very well.

I have a party Thursday night and am super bummed to miss his episode.

• Love 1

Is this where I bet/wager/whatever he said???? Do you think if you've never seen a damn (well-known,classy) game show before, yet you agree to be on it (for reasons unknown to man), you could at least watch it once or twice! Gaaaahhh!!!

• Love 2
(edited)

Souter was a terrible answer and Kate was super annoying but that was still a palate cleanser after yesterday's shitshow.

I figured Louis was going to do well.  And take that with your pseudo-French accent Alex!

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 7

Oh my god, that was so much better than last night's.  Still not a great game -- there were quite a few TS, and the boards weren't cleared, but compared to last night's show, this was a panel of geniuses.  So glad Kate didn't win.  She was annoying, particularly in the first round.

TS that I remember getting were Western, Wyoming, Chile, Van Gogh and Blue Boy.

• Love 4

I actually thought it was a decent enough game for celebrities and Kate didn't annoy me too much.

Louis C.K. is cool.  And the guy on the end did pretty well and was cool too. 

I didn't even bother waking up my brain cells for FJ since there was no way I would know it.

• Love 1

It should be a requirement that anyone who agrees to be a contestant has to have watched the damn show and know how it works.  

WTF with the dingbat women?  Kate wasn't quite as bad as Lame Lara from yesterday, but she was still extremely annoying and acted like an idiot.

I'm glad Louis C.K. won.  He, the comedian, was the the least goofy acting contestant.  I also really admire him for his choice of charity.  The movie, Dry, is about this heartbreaking issue.   http://smile.amazon.com/Dry-Stephanie-Linus-Dr-Zara/dp/B017QHEN9I/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1463618255&sr=1-1&keywords=dry

I got Western, Wyoming, Chile, Cape Girardeau, Van Gogh and Blue Boy.

• Love 6

Looked up Fistula, since it was Louis C.K. and I didn't trust that it wasn't something more like it sounded. Got Western, Wombat, and Blue Boy as the TS's I recall. (I think Lamour and Zane Grey were the only Western writers until McMurtry.) Kennedy was easy, as I'd been speculating recently that he'll be leaving the Court once he's no longer the swing and no one will pay attention to him. Fun fact: a radio station in Florida was changing formats, and during the transition, rather than have dead air, played every version of "Louie, Louie" they could get their hands on.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, just prin said:

Is this where I bet/wager/whatever he said???? Do you think if you've never seen a damn (well-known,classy) game show before, yet you agree to be on it (for reasons unknown to man), you could at least watch it once or twice! Gaaaahhh!!!

I'm sure Louis was just joking around. Or stalling. Take your pick.

A much better game than yesterday. I can't remember the TSs I got. I also got FJ.

10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Silicon Valley? One of the recruiters used it get Gilfoyle to come to a meeting.

Thanks! That's it.

So while I can give them a pass on not knowing Cam in relation to the Panthers,

I knew it was the Panthers' QB, and that his first name was Cam.  Couldn't come up with the last name.

I was saying, Cam....Cam....Heyward? (from the Steelers!) No, that's not it......!  I had just read this article about Cam (Heyward, not Newton!) doing whole body cryotherapy for his aches and pains.

Today's game was much better, or at least less memorably bad!   And I hope Al Franken kicks butt tomorrow.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

I knew it was the Panthers' QB, and that his first name was Cam.  Couldn't come up with the last name.

I was saying, Cam....Cam....Heyward? (from the Steelers!) No, that's not it......!  I had just read this article about Cam (Heyward, not Newton!) doing whole body cryotherapy for his aches and pains.

There was a headline sometime last year to the effect that Panthers' Newton Involved in Car Crash and I have to admit, my brain didn't go to Cam but to Huey !

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Cam Carson...

Edited by Moose135
Crazy backwards text...
  • Love 5

There was a headline sometime last year to the effect that Panthers' Newton Involved in Car Crash and I have to admit, my brain didn't go to Cam but to Huey !

This truly made me laugh out loud.  Carolina Panthers' Cam Newton/Black Panthers' Huey Newton ... I'm still chuckling.

I missed tonight's game (as per usual recently) and the archive isn't yet updated, so I caved and came here to see how it compared to last night's match.  Of course, it pretty much had to be better, right?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I can't believe Alex used the phrase "women's lib"!

Yes! I haven't heard anyone use this phrase in 30 years. But really, what's up with these annoying women (Lara and Kate)? I'm hoping the next one can get through the game without silliness.

I never watched Louis C.K.'s show, but I liked watching him last night. The "I'll take 'Me, Me'" line when choosing the "Louis, Louis" category was cute. And the goofy French accent was great.

• Love 5

Kate Bolduan apparently has a very close connection a higher power -- she OMGed so often in the Jeopardy round it was getting a little ridiculous.

That multiple choice category in the Jeopardy round was Kids Tournament easy.

The journalists missing on the political questions was kind of embarrassing.  Souter, really Kate Bolduan ?  The clue even said Reagan appointee.

At least this was a decent game,   Glad Louie C.K. pulled out the win.

• Love 6

I'd like to know what the deal is with these supposedly credible journalists acting like they're friggin' comedians or some shit. I expect Louis CK to joke around, but all three of them mugging like crazy was just waaaay too much. I wanted to tell them to just get over themselves already. It's basically been an SNL skit this entire week.

• Love 1
(edited)

Souter was a terrible answer

Given that I can name, oh, maybe 3 sitting Supreme Court Justices, I thought it wasn't a bad answer.  Not that right one, of course.  Unless he's died recently and was in the news.  It's pretty much the only reason I remember Scalia.  Needless to say, I got FJ wrong.  The Supreme Court is not a good category for me.  I knew it wasn't Ruth Bader Ginsburg or Sonia Sotomayor, and while I wasn't sure what president nominated Clarence Thomas, I couldn't imagine him being the deciding vote on anything since he seems to do as little as possible.

Last night's game wasn't very good, but it wasn't complete shit either.

Upon further investigation, I discovered that David Souter retired in 2009.  Yep, too long ago for me to remember that.  I'd have been lucky to remember his name at all.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Trey said:

No, that was Jonathan who said that, not Louis.

I had to rewatch because I was sure you were wrong. But no. I was. Jonathan's DD was right before Louis's, so I guess that's why I got confused.

Edited by peeayebee
punctuation
  • Love 3