Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I remember Souter because of the poem I made up about my cat: Scooter-dooter, Ain't None Cuter. She doesn't need a tutor to use the computer. Her fave SC justice is David Souter. If you have a party, you'd better include 'er.

Yes, I have no life.

• Love 12

I can't believe Alex used the phrase "women's lib"!

Me either. Condescending much? 

As to the issue of annoying and flaky women, if they didn't call Rachel Maddow they should have. Or Elizabeth Warren. Or Doris Kearns Goodwin. Or Sam Bee. Any or all of them would be AWESOME

• Love 7

The archive is updated, so now I'm caught up - even though I'd spoiled myself for some clues by coming here last night.  (I'd have known FJ anyway, and that's really the only one I remembered being discussed, so I went into it pretty fresh.)

The Wyoming TS really surprised me, perhaps unreasonably.  Montana was not at all a bad guess, and probably many people's first guess; even though it's a large state, there are a lot of unpopulated areas.  So once that was ruled incorrect, I'm surprised none of the other two rang in with another sparsely-populated western state.  I would have thought Wyoming the natural second guess.

I'm going to go ahead and declare there's nothing unreasonable about being floored not one of the three knew Louis L'Amour wrote westerns, though. 

I want to be surprised by the Chile TS, but I can't because geography - particularly world geography - knowledge has gone the way of the dodo.

Maybe it's because I have a print of it hanging in my kitchen, but I would have thought someone would know Irises was by Van Gogh.  That whole category (well, the four clues they got to) was pretty Art 101 - I say that because I have only a rudimentary knowledge of art history, but got all of them instantly - but The Blue Boy was a TS, too.  I confess I would not have got that one without the "colorful" hint in the clue.  I'm mildly curious what the $2000 clue they didn't get to was.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The Wyoming TS really surprised me, perhaps unreasonably.  Montana was not at all a bad guess, and probably many people's first guess; even though it's a large state, there are a lot of unpopulated areas.  So once that was ruled incorrect, I'm surprised none of the other two rang in with another sparsely-populated western state.  I would have thought Wyoming the natural second guess.

Exactly what I said to Mr.Trey.  If it isn't Montana, it's Wyoming.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I remember Souter because of the poem I made up about my cat: Scooter-dooter, Ain't None Cuter. She doesn't need a tutor to use the computer. Her fave SC justice is David Souter. If you have a party, you'd better include 'er.

Yes, I have no life.

I love it!  Then again, I'm the one whose Jeopardy chat with Alex involved singing songs to my cats, so . . . :-)

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, just prin said:

A whoooolllle lot of cats live on this board!

Six here.  Luckily for me, only a couple of them like songs made up for them.

• Love 3
(edited)

I've got two (Scooter is deceased) & I'm working on poems for them....Bosco-roney, full of baloney & Stella-Bella, acapella, whose favorite cheese is Fontinella. She eats it on bread with a schmear of Nutella. She's been spayed, so she don't need a fella.

"full of baloney" is hard to rhyme.

But I think either one of 'em could've done better than most of the contestants so far this week. (except for that buzzer operation, since they have no thumbs.)

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've got two (Scooter is deceased) & I'm working on poems for them....Bosco-roney, full of baloney & Stella-Bella, acapella, whose favorite cheese is Fontinella. She eats it on bread with a schmear of Nutella. She's been spayed, so she don't need a fella.

"full of baloney" is hard to rhyme.

My cat's name is Fontina!  (It's also her favorite cheese, which vindicates me in having given her what my husband at first said was a really stupid name.)

You can't go with "macaroni" to rhyme with "baloney"?  Or "Silvio Berlusconi"?  Or "pepperoni"?  Or "zamboni"?  "My little pony"?  I don't think you're really trying.  I love the Stella poem!  I wouldn't be surprised to see you in the Famous Poets category someday.  Assuming your real name is Prevailing Wind, that is.

• Love 2

Good job, Al Franken, including the SNL-type  snark about the USO letting Alex into their shows despite his not having any talent.

They must do a ton of editing in these special shows, because there are so many uncovered clues.

• Love 8

That was a reasonably good game.  Al Franken did a really good job. I kind of wish they'd pick up the pace a bit, though.  I would have liked to have seen at least one clue from the poetry category. 

FJ was an instaget for me.

• Love 5

What a great game! And two intelligent women who didn't act ditzy.  Did you all laugh when "Women's Lib" was an answer to a clue?

I probably would have gotten FJ (in fact I'm pretty sure I remember the answer from when he was inaugurated) but I somehow misread the clue and thought they were looking for another former president.  I knew it was too late for JFK so I was stumped.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Trey said:

What a great game! And two intelligent women who didn't act ditzy.  Did you all laugh when "Women's Lib" was an answer to a clue?

I thought Alex Trebek might have been trolling us with that one ;)

• Love 6

A much better game!  The two women weren't giggly dingbats, Al was charming (loved his "no talent" dig at Alex) and they all acted like they came to play instead of to try and look cute or be funny.

There sure were a lot of clues left on the board, though.  Two whole categories in J and 1 1/2 categories in DJ.

• Love 6

Wonderful.  Such a gem after the last two days. I'm bummed, Summer, was it? didn't win because I really wanted her to build a museum in the Bronx.

My husband who doesn't know Al Franken from Cam Newton said after Al's interview "I like him.  He's funny."

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, mojoween said:

My husband who doesn't know Al Franken from Cam Newton said after Al's interview "I like him.  He's funny."

I guess Stuart Smiley (his character on SNL) was right then. "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me." Good game, Senator. 

• Love 12

Yes, thank goodness Senator Al played to win.  What annoys me is when contestants playing for charity goof off and have a "good time" instead of playing to win money for their charity!  Be serious.  I was so impressed with Carol Burnett, when she was on Celeb Jep years ago because she wanted to win for whatever was her charity.  Loved her.  Love Senator Al. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Wonderful.  Such a gem after the last two days. I'm bummed, Summer, was it? didn't win because I really wanted her to build a museum in the Bronx.

I thought that Sunny woman was either very ill-informed or was disingenuous.  The Bronx Children's Museum is already being built.  She made it sound like it was just in the process of trying to get funding.  Also, contrary to what she said, there are several museums in the Bronx.

• Love 1

I had sworn off this tournament but I came back for Louis CK and I.love.Senator.Franken.

There were a couple of odd edits when it was the woman in the middle's turn to choose. She had some long pauses; I wonder if she went off on some kind of tangent.

• Love 3
(edited)

The hell with this poser-player tourney. Next year: Windy-Mon--you two will become a great comedic team! Trey will bring the six cats, who I'm sure can walk the high wire, jump thru hoops, etc. And my Princess (granddaughter liked them at the time we got the cat) will emcee; she's a Maine Coon, and chatty. Everybody's else's kitties can ring the stage and applaud! Jeopardy's ratings are bound to go up!!

PS: We should be able to being in at least as much charity money as most of those "players" did!

Edited by just prin
  • Love 3

My winnings are going to a rescue group or SpayGeorgia. 

Yes, "Women's Lib" was a guffaw moment at my house.

I liked that the Senator applauded for the women when it was due.  He seems so genuine.  I used to be on his email list.  He had a birthday coming up (62, I think) and I got an email from his wife, Franny, asking us to donate to his campaign fund and however much we donated, make it end in 62¢.  He then sent out an email telling us whoever contributed to his campaign would get Franny's incomparable chocolate cake recipe.

Of course, my brother, being of the opposite political spectrum, can't stand Franken. He would have turned off the TV.  His loss.

• Love 7

It took me a moment to do the math, but I did get FJ right.  I liked this game.  I adore Al Franken and have since his SNL days, and both women seemed personable and intelligent.  Although it did bug that they still didn't clear all the clues (two whole categories left on the board in the first round!), I don't think there were many stupid answers or TSs.  In fact, the only stumper I remember is the Jarvik 7, and even though I did know that one, I didn't think badly of the contestants for not coming up with it.

• Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, just prin said:

The hell with this poser-player tourney. Next year: Windy-Mon--you two will become a great comedic team! Trey will bring the six cats, who I'm sure can walk the high wire, jump thru hoops, etc. And my Princess (granddaughter liked them at the time we got the cat) will emcee; she's a Maine Coon, and chatty. Everybody's else's kitties can ring the stage and applaud! Jeopardy's ratings are bound to go up!!

PS: We should be able to being in at least as much charity money as most of those "players" did!

I will sing a rousing round of "Fuzzy cat, fuzzy cat, how in the world did you get so fat?" set to the tune of Jesus Christ Superstar for my interview.  And, of course, give my winnings to the local cat rescue.

Edited by proserpina65
Because 'fat' and 'far' are different words
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

There were a couple of odd edits when it was the woman in the middle's turn to choose. She had some long pauses; I wonder if she went off on some kind of tangent.

I've wondered about the time allowed for play. How does that work? Since I have no idea what it is, I'll just say 12 minutes per round. Do they stop the clock when judges confer? Is the 12 minutes what is actually broadcast, or is some of the 12 minutes unaired for whatever reason (like contestant tangents)?

• Love 1

I don't think there were many stupid answers or TSs.  In fact, the only stumper I remember is the Jarvik 7, and even though I did know that one, I didn't think badly of the contestants for not coming up with it.

According to the archive, they also did not get Libya, which kind of blows my mind.  "Lib" country when Liberia has already been ruled out, and neither of the remaining two could come up with Libya?

I didn't know the Jarvik 7, though; it was the only clue in the first round I missed (of course, my odds were improved by the fact they left two entire categories untouched).

• Love 3

I managed to watch Al Franken's show! It's so sad that I feel like most members of Congress would not do so well, even discounting TV theme songs and the like. Here's Al on Letterman in 1987. Skip to 6:34 for the reason I posted this.

• Love 7

"Women in Charge" was the Queen, Sarah Palin, a Wal-Mart bigwig, Jan Brewer, and who else? They're all awful. That was a disappointing category.

On the DC tapings, I've liked Alex appearing in front of a bank of TVs for FJ, like he used to.

• Love 4

The bad news:  Tremendously dumbed down clues

The good news:  The contestants got just about all of them (but really - no one knew Mad Anthony Wayne?)

Thank goodness that's over.

• Love 6

I think this was the best game of the Power Players week.  Granted, they didn't come close to clearing the board in the first round, but I blame the interview segment for that, since they very nearly did in the second round.  Not too many TS that I remember, either, and I have to say that I was proud of them for not knowing Guy Fieri's show.  I can't stand him.

But not knowing NAACP was bad, as was not knowing Mad King Ludwig (both of which I got).

FJ was another instaget.  Thank you, Lin-Manuel Miranda!

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, dcalley said:

"Women in Charge" was the Queen, Sarah Palin, a Wal-Mart bigwig, Jan Brewer, and who else? They're all awful. That was a disappointing category.

"In 2011 Christine Lagarde became Managing Director of the IMF, short for this."

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

But not knowing NAACP was bad, as was not knowing Mad King Ludwig (both of which I got).

I believe he did know NAACP, just couldn't get it out in time.  I got NAACP but couldn't remember Mad King Ludwig, although I've heard of him.  Also got Mad Anthony Wayne.  But not FJ.

This was  a very good game with likeable people.  I think Tuesday was the only really bad game, the rest were decent, even if the clues were dumbed down. I enjoyed this tournament more than most celebrity tournaments.

• Love 3

That was another good game with surprisingly unstupid contestants.  However, it was also extraordinarily easy.  I was rooting for David or Michael to win.  I have no idea who that Melissa woman is but she was annoying as hell with her "militant" attitude.  Kind of a bitch to Michael, too.

I got Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (I hate Guy Fieri, too), General Sherman, Colorado, Carl Sagan and NAACP.

Gird your loins, people.   Buzzy is back on Monday.  Blech.

• Love 8
(edited)

Just caught up on Thursday's game -- it was a good game, I just wish they would have moved a little faster to get to more of the clues.

That $2000 conservatory clue in the DJ round was ridiculous -- they even put "conserv" in the clue.

On the other hand, that $400 Moderates clue where you had to name all 3 Democratic Presidential candidates moderated by Rachel Maddow (she's awesome) should have been a $2000 clue.  I couldn't come up with Martin O'Malley at all.

ETA:  Friday's game was pretty good too, though they did leave 10 clues on the board in the Jeopardy round, and cleared all but one clue in DJ round.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Gird your loins, people.   Buzzy is back on Monday.  Blech.

Oh good...I'm on vacation and traveling next week, I'll have to drop it from my DVR schedule.

• Love 3

Yay!  I was rooting for Matthew Weiner from the get-go (before the get-go, actually), and he won!  No one I root for ever wins.

I wonder if Melissa would've liked it if Weiner had tossed his hair (which in itself would've been an amazing accomplishment) and said that his soul was broken every time she got something wrong.  What an assholey, bad-sport move.

The "Mad Tom" part of the clue confused me, so I didn't get the Sherman answer.  I wonder where they got Tom out of William Tecumseh?  Google probably knows.

I'm glad this is done.  Carpe and I both can't wait for Buzzy Redux.  ;o)

• Love 7
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 5:41 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

I don't know why this quote box is here or how to get rid of it.  I guess that I don't know how to delete it qualifies me to be on this Tournament of Idiots.

As my Dad used to say, "That was a piss poor excuse for a game."  What a bunch of morons!  Lara couldn't be more annoying if she tried.  I got 12 (yes, 12!) TS and that wasn't all of them.  I missed a few.  And they left half the freaking clues on the board!  FJ was pretty easy.

I need to go down a huge glass of wine to get over this debacle.

I accidentally happened on how to get rid of quote boxes (with or without text). 1) Hold down your control key 2) right click inside the quote. You'll get options that allow you to paste or delete. I don't know how it works with a tablet or smartphone, though.

We binged Tues-Fri (couldn't watch it because of schedules), but decided on Tuesday the show was so absurdly bad it was hilarious - so we just decided to enjoy ourselves. Especially since the players on the left seemed to have really hot mics and we could hear their gasps and moans. Even though it got better as the week went on, the clues were still softballs.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Not too many TS that I remember, either, and I have to say that I was proud of them for not knowing Guy Fieri's show.  I can't stand him.

I'm sorry to say I got DDD. My sister loves that show.

I got NAACP, and I couldn't quite recall King Ludwig's name.

FJ was another instaget.  Thank you, Lin-Manuel Miranda!

I guessed Hamilton and figured it was probably right because of the Broadway show.

I was rooting for Weiner since I'm a big Mad Man fan and think Weiner is brilliant. Seemed to me that no one in the audience got the meaning of the category "Not Great, Bob." (a Mad Man reference, btw)

I couldn't remember Brewer's first name. I couldn't get Theresa out of my head ("Put another nickel in, in the nickelodeon...), so I would have just said Brewer, which Gregory obviously should have done.

I also got Carl Sagan (shocked no one else did) and Colorado. 

• Love 2

The "Mad Tom" part of the clue confused me, so I didn't get the Sherman answer.  I wonder where they got Tom out of William Tecumseh?  Google probably knows.

I cannot find any reference to William Tecumseh Sherman being called "Mad Tom."  When Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson taught at VMI some of the cadets called him "Tom Fool" or "Mad Tom."  Maybe Jeopardy! missed this one.

On the other hand, that $400 Moderates clue where you had to name all 3 Democratic Presidential candidates moderated by Rachel Maddow (she's awesome) should have been a $2000 clue.  I couldn't come up with Martin O'Malley at all.

Given the difficulty of some of the other questions, maybe they should have named Sanders and O'Malley and asked for the other candidate.  I second the awesomeness of Rachel Maddow; if she has not been on Jeopardy she should be.

• Love 2

I had the pleasure of meeting David Gregory and he was a very nice guy and super smart so I really wanted him to win. He and Weiner had a casual demeanor but still played with focus. I've only ever seen Melissa Harris-Perry in serious journalist mode so she bugged me a bit. It's like they dosed all of the women before each game with silly pills.

thanks Carpe for reminding me of the return of Buzzy after a week of celebrity tournament. Oh the humanity!

• Love 2