Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I have no idea who that Melissa woman is

The archive isn't updated, but isn't tonight Melissa Harris-Perry?  If so, this makes me strangely sad.  She's one of my favorite columnists for The Nation, and she had a great news discussion show on MSNBC until recently.

On the other hand, that $400 Moderates clue where you had to name all 3 Democratic Presidential candidates moderated by Rachel Maddow (she's awesome) should have been a $2000 clue.  I couldn't come up with Martin O'Malley at all.

That clue made me laugh out loud while reading the archive, because it was so very, "Can anyone remember Martin O'Malley?"  It took me back to Trevor Noah's many bits on The Daily Show at that time.

• Love 3

FJ was another instaget.  Thank you, Lin-Manuel Miranda!

I thought the same thing. One of the wonderful things about "Hamilton" is that it's gotten a lot of people interested in history, especially young people.

I don't think it was cool for MHP to embarass Matthew Weiner, who seemed like a nice guy. Save the shaming for ignoramuses and jerks.

• Love 7

Not a bad game to end the week. At least the DJ round was complete, even though the first round left many, many clues on the board. TS's were Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, which I like despite the annoying Guy Yeti (I never believed in Yetis until I saw him), Dee Dee Myers, Circus Circus and Carl Sagan. 

I liked how giggles rippled through the audience at the Palin clue, even before the answer was given. 

I didn't need the two seconds of "Escapade" to know the answer to the Janet Jackson clue, but nice to hear it, anyway. At least I think that's what it was, it was only two seconds...

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

I just watched Friday's show and I was appalled at Melissa.  Has it become acceptable to use the word "queer" (not once but twice) in talking about her charity?  I find that in the same vein as the N word.  I also did not appreciate her shoving out her chest when the question mentioned double D's.  Both instances were so tacky...

Queer is a generally accepted term as far as I know. Doesn't mean it can't be used as a pejorative (same as "gay" can be), but there are people who identify as "queer", and it can also be used as an umbrella term to include LGBTQIA. When Melissa described the women as queer, I assumed either one or more of the women identified as queer, or they identify differently (lesbian, bisexual, etc) and she used queer as a general term.

Definitely not analogous to the N word, which is offensive in any situation except certain historic contexts.

• Love 8

So many TS!  Gone With The Wind surprised me.  I don't remember the others I got.  But at least they started at the tops of the categories and cleared the board in DJ.

I said Ohio for FJ, too.  It doesn't seem to be larger than Indiana!

• Love 4
(edited)

I went with Ohio also.

TS's I got were Rand, Blair House and Padua and was pretty sure Greeley and Maine were right but didn't actually say them out loud.

I am so glad to be back to regular games!  Buzzy is a little smug but I still like him.  Other than the bits of smugness he shows, he seems pretty nice.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 6

I could almost tolerate Buzzy until his stupid FJ answer, then it was back to full out "who can't I stand, Alex?"  What a jerk.

I got Bad Reputation, Picasso and Rand.

I was too busy arguing with myself over FJ and wouldn't have had time to even write down the wrong answer of Ohio.

• Love 3

I got several TS's, but was already feeling old at the start of the game when Joan Jett and Donna Summer were missed by the contestants! "See you tomorrow, Trebek!" sounds so much better in my head with Sean Connery's voice.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, Alex...folks with the last name of Cohen are usually not "Christened" no matter what their first name is.

That's what I was thinking, just another facepalm in my Trebek-watching experience.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, Alex...folks with the last name of Cohen are usually not "Christened" no matter what their first name is.

I had that exact thought as well. Made me laugh.

Quite a few TS, but I did find Buzzy more tolerable in this game than previously. Hopefully it stays that way.

• Love 2

Lots of unnecessary snark during today's interviews by AT. John told that story about his mistake, and Alex rubbed it in over and over. Then it was Heidi and her spoon pilfering. I thought Buzzy's line about how he and his sister might have been named Spock and Uhura was cute--no need for Alex to pretend it was the strangest thing ever said. I wasn't a fan of this game; a lot of TS's and not very good guesses. But I do like Buzzy.

• Love 2

Buzzy seems all right. He's knowledgeable, but I wish he wouldn't do those things like brush off his shoulders or slick back his hair. I'm sure some people find it amusing.

I said Ohio for FJ. I picture Indiana as being bigger.

There were a few that I just couldn't bring to mind, like the song titles by Joan Jett and Donna Summer. Some I did get were yelp, fortune (and men's eyes), Picasso, Gone with the Wind, and Maine. I mistakenly said Brady instead of Blair for the guest house, which I actually thought was the VP house.

• Love 1

I could almost tolerate Buzzy until his stupid FJ answer, then it was back to full out "who can't I stand, Alex?"  What a jerk.

You're better than me because I was done with him before the game even started. I don't know who told him he looks cool making these gestures but they lied.

I missed the Joan Jett question too. I can't remember how it was worded but  I think they said it was her signature song or best known hit or something? Anyway I knew the category called for something with "Bad" but I thought "I Love Rock n Roll" was a much bigger hit than "Bad Reputation" and couldn't get it out of my head. Surprised the resident Music Executive didn't run that category *eyeroll*

• Love 4
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I started with Ohio but changed to Indiana in enough time.

New York was a curious answer.  And her interview, oy.  So many "likes" and "ums" for a teacher.

We just had two weeks of teachers -- and we get another teacher the first game back.  Really ?

2 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I got several TS's, but was already feeling old at the start of the game when Joan Jett and Donna Summer were missed by the contestants! "See you tomorrow, Trebek!" sounds so much better in my head with Sean Connery's voice.

I thought Joan Jett's signature song was 'I Love Rock and Roll', or even 'Love is a Battlefield', not 'Bad Reputation'.

Buzzy didn't bug me as much this game as previous games, but his FJ answer was a little smarmy.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I thought Joan Jett's signature song was 'I Love Rock and Roll', or even 'Love is a Battlefield', not 'Bad Reputation'.

Pat Benatar would like a word with you.

pat-benatar-o.gif

• Love 16
5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

We just had two weeks of teachers -- and we get another teacher the first game back.  Really ?

What's wrong with teachers as contestants? 

But I am curious about the process of deciding who plays in the Teachers' Tournament and who plays in the general games.

• Love 1

I suppose it depends on which type of game you apply for.  There's a finite amount one can win in the teacher's tournament, but the questions are easier.  Regular J! has harder questions, but the sky's the limit on winnings.  If I were a teacher, I'd be torn as to which I would apply for.  Guaranteed easy (limited) money, or riskier with potential higher yield.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

What's wrong with teachers as contestants? 

But I am curious about the process of deciding who plays in the Teachers' Tournament and who plays in the general games.

I'm not against teachers as contestants at all, but we just had two weeks worth of teachers.  But it's not like they have tournaments dedicated to any other profession like dentists, lawyers, engineers, scientists, or military personnel. I'm also curious how they decide who gets in the Teacher's tournament.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

... it's not like they have tournaments dedicated to any other profession like dentists, lawyers, engineers, scientists, or military personnel.

I think we should have Dentists Week. Think of all the category names! Rinse and Spit. Bite Down. "Bi"cuspids.  

• Love 9

So Directv was having some kind of problem in my area last night which affected about 3 or 4 channels - naturally my Jeopardy channel was one of them.  But at least I was spared Buzzy for one night.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

So many TS!  Gone With The Wind surprised me.  I don't remember the others I got.  But at least they started at the tops of the categories and cleared the board in DJ.

I said Ohio for FJ, too.  It doesn't seem to be larger than Indiana!

My mother would cut me out of the will if I ever got a GWTW clue wrong.  It's her favorite movie, and I saw it more times than I'd try to count during my childhood.  I'm guessing maybe the clue was in the Pulitzer Prize category, but I'm thinking I still would've known it.

• Love 3

Yeah this may be humorless on my part but I eye-roll when contestants give jokey FJ answers, especially if they are guaranteed to come back because of a blowout. It comes off show-offy, rubbing it in that they're going to win. I'll give a little leeway if the game is contested and a contestant just doesn't know the answer and goes for a little humor (although more often than not the humor is a little meh). 

• Love 2

I have a love/hate relationship with Buzzy.  He's smart, good looking, not a smart-ass (I thought his FJ! answer was quite clever), no annoying vocal tics, no swaying, no umming, starts at the top of the category.  But I can't warm to him.  Whatever.  Not like he is a part of my life.

I said Indiana for FJ.  I live in Illinois so did a run through of the neighboring states.  I dismissed Ohio because while it's not long north to south, it's wiiiiide east to west.  I drove through Indiana a few weeks ago and it's not a big state. 

2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I was thinking of the GL states, forgot about PA having Erie coastline, and wondered if Vermont had a GL coastline. If I'd remembered PA, I would have been torn between Illinois and Indiana as the smallest. 

Illinois is as wide as Indiana, but it's LONG. Even most Illinoisans don't realize it until they have to drive the length of it. Its most southern border is only 55 miles or so from Tennessee.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But he did miss the Yiddish word "Schmooze" in the hm category.

• Love 4

Setting aside the fact that I don't think Buzzy has answered FJ correctly in a while, I don't find anything too objectionable about him, much like Paula said above.  I have to give him high marks for his suits and that he's not wearing a ratty polo like some prior horror shows (not naming any names JOSHUA).

• Love 2

Ok, now one of my big fears is that Buzzy is going to win the Tournament of Champions. Please, no. I can't stand him at all. And I've tried, I'm a nice person. (Mostly.) :)  I think I'd take Chu over him. And for me that is saying a lot.

• Love 2

Three guys wearing suits today.  And 2/3 wore ties.  Good to see them classing the place up.

Weird game.  I thought Brian would pull through but his buzzer went quiet in DJ.  Victor was flailing.

Buzzy is a good player, but he doesn't seem like a great player - or the type who could win 7 games.

• Love 4

That was such an odd interview piece..."I argue with my GPS", really?!

It feels like I'm still watching the teachers' tournament or power week, with the pace and number of clues left on the board.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

Three guys wearing suits today.  And 2/3 wore ties.  Good to see them classing the place up.

Weird game.  I thought Brian would pull through but his buzzer went quiet in DJ.  Victor was flailing.

Buzzy is a good player, but he doesn't seem like a great player - or the type who could win 7 games.

Victor was a terrible contestant -- slow to pick clues, slow to answer, starting at the $2000 clue frequently.

I thought we might get rid of Buzzy after the results of the Jeopardy, but no such luck.

• Love 4

Okay, I would never advocate violence against another human being, but if Victor decided to punch himself in the face after that game, it wouldn't break my heart.

Today was the very first time I remembered to have my little micro-recorder on hand so I could keep track of the TSs I got.  But after only two of them (and there were a lot more than two), I was so distracted by screaming at Victor not to keep starting at $2,000 when he never once knew the answer to the hardest clue and groaning every time he buzzed in and then took ten minutes to guess that I completely forgot.  What an annoying guy, and boy, did he slow things down.  Even Alex was fed up with him.

• Love 8

I was so afraid Victor might actually get the win.  I liked Brian, would have been fine with him winning but I like Buzzy too. 

I didn't do any better than they did on the Stupid Answers Misdirect category.

Also didn't get FJ - my mind went to Dreyfus, thinking a Frenchman accused of treason might end up in New Orleans., totally didn't even think of civil war people.

• Love 3

Buzzy has gone from being a jerk to being an insufferable jerk.  The only good thing I can say about him is that he starts with the low dollar clues.  I was cheering when he was in the red.  The sad thing is, he's not that great of a player, doesn't even make much money per game and hasn't answered any FJ correctly, has he?  We need to get a moderately decent player in here to force him to answer FJ incorrectly and get rid of him.

I wish they'd get rid of the interviews and have more game time.  An entire category left untouched in the first round and many clues left in DJ.

I got Rescue Me,  Shades of Blue, Haifa, Palestine and The Handmaid's Tale.

Clueless on FJ.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Okay, I would never advocate violence against another human being, but if Victor decided to punch himself in the face after that game, it wouldn't break my heart.

Today was the very first time I remembered to have my little micro-recorder on hand so I could keep track of the TSs I got.  But after only two of them (and there were a lot more than two), I was so distracted by screaming at Victor not to keep starting at $2,000 when he never once knew the answer to the hardest clue and groaning every time he buzzed in and then took ten minutes to guess that I completely forgot.  What an annoying guy, and boy, did he slow things down.  Even Alex was fed up with him.

Bawahahaha!  You made me spurt wine from my nose!  Good thing I'm wearing an old t-shirt.

Micro-recorder, uh?  I have a Jeopardy! notebook.  I also have no life.

• Love 1

I don't think Buzzy is all that great a contestant, but I don't mind him at all. He starts at the top and is all business, and he gets enough answers wrong to make me feel smart without me thinking he's stupid. He's just not a super-player.

• Love 5