Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E03: Shut Up And Sew

• Start Topic

Also, she is the daughter of Diana Ross.

I did not know that. I've always liked her a lot.

I want to know who gets told "Shut up and sew." After the first week, I would have guessed Merline, but she was quieter last week. Personally, I'd tell Blake that, but he wouldn't have to be talking a lot for me to tell him to shut up.

• Love 4

None of the designs blew me away tonight. Why don't they give these designers more than 8 hours or one day to design? Maybe fit and construction would be better if they had more time.

I wanted to be mad at Joseph for the way he talked and treated Merline but she seems to have adult ADHD and doesn't seem to be taking this competition seriously. I would have been frustrated with her too.

Same thing with Edmond and Hanmaio. I felt bad for their model . Half her ass was hanging out of that poorly made swimsuit. Nina was right, It was hideous. Hanmaio deserved to go home.

Jake is a tool. The girl (name?) did all the work. I was surprised they were in the top three.

I like Ashley but why was she wearing a floral arrangement on her head? I'm glad her and Candice won.

• Love 6

I liked the winning look but I also liked the India look. That top was to die for.

I really don't like the teams show though. Too much fighting and I end up tuning it out. I missed a lot of what was said because I preferred to sort my bills. Lol

The guest judge was good. Clear concise mature answers. Not trying to get a laugh, not being mean. Good job show!

• Love 14

I couldn't believe that Jake and what's her name attacked each other so strongly when they were in the top, I though for sure they'd be told their attitude knocked them down to the bottom.

• Love 4

I really thought Joseph should've gone since he was totally responsible for that look, just as Edmond was totally responsible for the look that sent that Chinese designer home. *He* insisted upon the yellow skirt and a swim-suit, both of which failed and was "too literal." However, since Edmond couldn't go home, I think Joseph should have for being so condescending to Merline and basically shutting her out. That was *his* look 100%.

That being said, I hated the winning look too. That was incredibly disjointed and busy. I wouldn't wear that on a bet. What I really liked was the Grecian look by Blake and Kelly ... and I hate Blake, but I've got to say, that was really nice.

I couldn't believe that Jake and what's her name attacked each other so strongly when they were in the top, I though for sure they'd be told their attitude knocked them down to the bottom.

I think, after the judges heard what they had to say, that doomed them and they weren't going to win. However, she was totally responsible for that look so he should suck it up. He was useless.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 12

I hated the winning look.  It looked sloppy, and it didn't fit very well.  And a cape over the drappy back?  I don't get it at all.  Loved Swapnil and Laurie's.

Joseph was an ass.  I think Merline is quite able to create a cape, but he kept insisting it be exactly what HE wanted, then blamed her for his own failure. 

I wonder how much of a tattle-tale Tim would have been had Jake and what's-her-name had said they got along fabulously.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 18

Edmond screwed Hanmiao over. Why didn't he make the swimsuit since he wanted one so badly? The Hanmiao could have made a dress in her style with the floral print. I can't believe Edmond only made that stupid little skirt that would only take an hour to make. What was he doing all that time?

Jake and Joseph are crappy. Maybe Merline's behavior is annoying but Joseph has no business acting like a prison warden. Joseph, Edmond and Jake looked at their female partners as problems to conquer and control as opposed to equal collaborators. Although Edmond was trying to get Hanmiao to talk, when she did, he didn't listen or really consider her point of view. Jake just pouted like a silly toddler when he couldn't have it all his way.

I think Greece should have been in the top and Hong Kong safe.

• Love 20

I hated the winning look.  It looked sloppy, and it didn't fit very well.  And a cape over the drappy back?  I don't get it at all.

I saw it, hated it, didn't understand it, and so instantly knew the judges would love it. I once saw a Good Housekeeping magazine circa 1972 with Mary Tyler Moore' s house featured in all its floral glory. I swear the print on her sofa was similar to the cape of the "winning look". So when Zach said it was "fun in a '70s kind of way" I knew exactly what he meant, minus the fun part.

I have a lot of sympathy for what Edmond was dealing with tonight. Talk about passive aggressive...the way she wouldn't even watch him to try and learn how to make a swimsuit, for example. All because she didn't like the fabric? So grab the fabric you really want  and make a good swimsuit!Stop whining. Don't let him boss you. He has immunity! But at the same time, I couldn't quite get where Edmond's head was tonight.  He says he's made swimsuits before, so he would have to know their print wasn't a suitable fabric  I notice when he went to make the backup suit, he didn't mess around with that fabric that they just had to use, according to him.. So why not let his partner have a stretchy fabric and he could make something out of the floral fabric? Why was garish yellow the only solid fabric that would match? Why are tacky, full length day glo yellow skirts suddenly "in"? If Edmond's taste level is questionable for designing one, why isn't Ashley's taste level questionable for wearing one? So many questions...

• Love 21

I thought Greece should have been top three. It was gorgeous. My 11 year old was upset at how Joseph shut Merline down and disappointed that he did not go home. And someone should tell Sourpuss Boy that you don't have to attack your partner if you are, in fact, in the top three.

Edited by Archery
  • Love 8

I detested the winning look! Too busy, pants too short, and it took me back to the 1970's, and not in a good way! I don't get it at all! I'd have put Blake's and Kelly's Greek-inspired look in the top over that mess.

Jake is a passive aggressive little bitch, but I pretty much can't stand Lindsey, either. Joseph is a jerk, and although Merline drives me nuts just watching her (and I can't imagine how exhausting it is to be around her), I felt bad for her when she was saying how she just wants to be liked and that she wasn't getting to be herself. I'm sure my goodwill towards her will fade, though, because she has "Tim Gunn Save!" written all over her...marginally talented designer with "sweet" attitude who will shed copious tears upon her exit, causing Tim to feel sorry for her and bring her back to show us all what she can really do, thus promising her an unearned and undeserved spot in the finale. Please let me be wrong!!

I loved Swapnil's and Laurie's look, and I love Swapnil, period.

Edmond made an ugly yellow skirt...the same ugly yellow that Ashley was wearing. Hanmiao was very stubborn, but Edmond didn't come off very well, either.

Finally, Gabrielle and Amanda...meh. I knew they'd both be safe when the judges weren't shown asking which of them should go home.

Edited by Marmiarmo
  • Love 9

I feel for Edmond.  He kept asking Hanmaio to tell him what she was thinking.  And she told him to shut up.  They were working off of her sketch.  She said she drew it because she thought that he would like it and he said, "What's makes you think I would like it?"  That look was not his fault.  He even reminded her that if it went south, he wasn't going home.  Hanmaio started talking about their styles not meshing from the very beginning.  I think Edmond was willing to let Hanmaio take the lead since she was the only one at risk.  And she wouldn't talk to him.  She got the boot and she deserved to.  

Don't go on Project Runway if you can't make clothes in a rush.  And don't go on Project Runway if you can't work with someone else because you know there is going to be a team challenge.

I do think that team would have been better off picking St. Petersburg.

And Joseph/Merline probably would have done better with the Caribbean.  

The two that bothered me the most were Lyndsay and Jake.  

• Love 24

You know how they sometimes say there are too many ideas in a look?  That's what I thought of the winning look - there was way too much going on, and it came off way too busy and schlumpy to me.  All the pleats on those pants made them look like they'd be heavy and hot to wear walking around, the cowl back of the top seemed like it would be a pain to deal with all day long, and then there's the cape which does such a great job of covering the figure underneath that she looked boxy, especially with the big pant legs.

All that flapping and draping and fabric looked messy to me, and like it would be complicated to climb into a Venice gondola wearing it.

I would have picked Swapnil and Laurie's for the win, although the pants could have been made better. 

The Hong Kong design seemed tacky to me, and too much for Hong Kong.  Pick one piece for that rich fabric, not the whole outfit.  Seemed like a costume.

• Love 20

What a horror show. The people (mostly guys). the designs. Yuk.

Everything that the judges hated about that look was all Edmond, but Hanmiao paid the price for it. She didn't want a swimsuit; she didn't want the ugly yellow skirt; she didn't want those bizarre strings all over it; she didn't want "Carribbean" to mean "Beach cover-up", and she didn't want to make a bathing suit out of non-stretch material. And Edmond had the gall to say SHE was conniving because she took the model into a private bathroom to fit her because that prevented Edmond from forcing his hot pink suit onto the model without any collaboration. Yeah.. she was conniving in getting the model into the piece they had agreed on, but he wasn't conniving attempting to substitute something unilaterally. (I was really disturbed that they went into a bathroom for privacy for the model to be sewn into the suit, and the cameras followed them in)

I have more sympathy for Hanmiao than some might because as a "thinker" personality, I can't think out loud or think while someone is talking to me. I can't process what's going on in my head and what they are saying at the same time. They need to STOP TALKING for me to work through what's in my head or what they have already said. The more they say "Talk to me", the more I want to shout STOP TALKING SO I CAN FIGURE OUT WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY!!!!" Edmond wanted to talk, and he didn't want to deal with who Hanmiao was... a thinker. He also wasn't interested in anything she had to say about the design anyway. When she DID talk, he just shut her down. I was rooting for Edmond before, but not now.

Joseph was insufferable. But his behavior at least seemed to be specifically about the person he was partnered with and what he had seen from her up to that point vs Jake....

...who was just a petty whiner. Everything about his demeanor even on the runway bespoke someone who can't accept women who are strong and capable or who have opinions. There was NO excuse for him saying he just gave up or abandoned all responsibility because she had a point of view or expressed it. I didn't see her steamroll him at all. He just has an air about him that gives me the impression he is quite a misogynist in a passive-aggressive way. But instead of coming on strong like Joseph, he just pouts when women don't know their place. Even his silhouette projected on the backdrop when he was declared safe and he exited looked churlish. It reminded me of the sort of character on L&O SVU who is a defeated sulky toddler-man by day and a horrific rapist by night, working out his hatred of women. What a tool. He is now my absolute least favorite contestant, and I didn't think it would be that easy for someone to bump Blake from that spot!

As a poster upthread said, Joseph, Jake and Edmond looked at their female partners as people to be managed or controlled rather than as collaborators.

I thought Swapnil and Laurie should have won. And they made a great team. Laurie's doubt about the drape fabric and pulling out the one she did was what sent them to the top. The one Swapnil had planned to use was too much. The final look was JUST referential enough without being literal. The Hong Kong look was too literal IMO.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 21

I liked Swapnil and Laurie's look a lot but thought the Grecian look was fantastic and should have won. The winning look was too busy for my taste and I didn't care for the fabric at all. These designers need to stop whining about team challenges. In the real world, you will need to work with and collaborate with other people. These special snowflakes need to get used to it. I didn't have a problem with Hanmiao going home. Edmond was equally responsible, but he had immunity. I also think she wasn't cut out for this type of show and would have left soon anyway.

• Love 10

I always feel bad for the contestant in the team challenge who is paired with someone who has immunity.  Edmund knew that it wouldn't matter what they sent down the runway because he couldn't be eliminated, which means that it was up to Hanmaio to insist on doing whatever she thought was best.  I think there may have been some cultural difficulties for her, partly in language, probably thinking in Chinese and mentally translating before speaking which made it seem like she was being unresponsive because she has to take time to get her thoughts together before speaking and also just not being of the temperament or background to be assertive.  She really didn't have to work with him, she should have just ignored him from the beginning.  He certainly wasn't going to do anything to help her succeed.     

I thought the winning look was the kind of thing I'd throw together out of a thrift store box of cast offs.   Of the losing looks I would have gotten rid of purple dress guy.  It looked like my 7th grade home ec project.  Poorly made, ill fitting, really nothing to recommend it at all. 

• Love 4

I'd lump Edmond in with Jake and Joseph if I didn't think Hanmiao was *very* difficult to work with and if she hadn't actively resisted working in any kind of partnership until it was too late. I will give her credit for resisting the swimsuit idea, but I think if it had been executed well, and the top ended up looking chic and classic like Swapnil and Laurie's and Edmond had had a finished skirt it could have been very different.

With that I just have to say, I love Tim Gunn but this is the 3rd challenge in a row where his advice contributed to a garment losing.

And speaking of 3rd episode, why no trip to Mood yet??

I have to disagree. She was already trying to give input by the time Tim came in. For all his "talk to me.. we have to collaborate" stuff, it was clear to me that Edmond was not going to go with anything she said anyway. She seemed clearly flustered trying to think through things while Edmond was badgering her to "think out loud" and constantly talking himself, telling her to talk. If you want someone to talk, you have to shut up and listen. Or try to follow what the person is gesturing. He badgered her for trying to demonstrate and gesture rather than use words.

As for the swimsuit top, one of the things the judges really hated about it was all the stringy stuff Edmond threw on at the last minute when he couldn't use his own suit (that he took time to make instead of making a better skirt... at least the judges called him out on that one!)

In other words, he tried to mold her into the partner he needed instead of working with who she was. It was all about him... just like Jake and Joseph. I've no sympathy at all for him.

Tim.. .yeah.. he may not have thrown Hanmiao under the bus, but he steered the bus right to the road she was trying to cross!

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 15

I wanted to punch Joseph for his attitude. I can see why he wanted to state right off the bat, "You need to focus, not mess around, singing and dancing. If we're going to work together, you've got to get your work done." But he didn't seem to ask her input on anything. He didn't mesh their styles, he didn't even for a second consider that she had a style at all to incorporate, he just steamrolled right over her and decided what he wanted was what should be used, period. He was arrogant and offensive, and I felt bad for Merline that she felt so marginalized and not like herself. She should not go home for that, and I was glad that she didn't.

Jake... oh boy... I had trouble watching his partnership because I don't like Lindsey. That was another partnership where I felt neither of them were willing to listen to one another or consider one another's point of view. Jake thought that Lindsey was getting the cultures mixed up, that's a valid concern. You don't pick Hong Kong and send a Grecian style dress down the aisle. Likewise, you can't lump all Asian cultures in together. A kimono is not Chinese. Right from the start, as soon as he said no to that, she got equally dismissive of him, and I think she was angry that he didn't like her idea. So she got pissy with him, started demanding what they were going to do, and he gave up, which was passive aggressive and extremely childish -- there's no defense for that on the runway. You can't say, I didn't like working with her, she wouldn't listen to me, so I gave up. You're in a competition, jackass; you have to keep going and do your best anyway, and if her part of the end result sucks, then that's on her, not you. So while I appreciate that Lindsey did most of the work (and that was terrible of Jake), I don't think she was the easiest person to work with either, and that does affect how the teamwork goes. 

That said, his condescending "sweetie" and "sweetheart" comments were misogynistic and she was right to call him out for that.

• Love 16

I think there may have been some cultural difficulties for her, partly in language, probably thinking in Chinese and mentally translating before speaking which made it seem like she was being unresponsive because she has to take time to get her thoughts together before speaking and also just not being of the temperament or background to be assertive.  She really didn't have to work with him, she should have just ignored him from the beginning.  He certainly wasn't going to do anything to help her succeed.    

I would have liked to see her start babbling in Mandarin or Cantonese or whatever language/dialect of China she speaks when Edmond insisted she should think out loud. :)

Then Edmond could get all self-righteous about how she wouldn't speak English. And maybe we'd have another ignorant moment when he tells her "I don't speak Chinese".

I can appreciate needing to think and sort out one's thoughts -- I can be like that too -- but it seemed, at least to me from the edit, that the issue went both ways. She needed to think, but she wouldn't talk AT ALL. He tried to get her to verbalize SOMETHING, ANYTHING, so that he would know where her head was at, so that he had something to work with, to say, "Okay, I get what you're saying, we can work with that," or "I like this part but I don't think we should do this part, I think we should do it this way, what do you think..." Instead, all he got from her was dead silence. She didn't verbalize, "I need more than a minute to think, please give me five minutes to sort out what I think will work." And she didn't look him in the eye, she ignored a lot of what he suggested without giving suggestions of her own.

When my brain is on overload from too many words coming in from someone else, I can't respond that clearly and rationally. Just saying "Please stop talking" would be all I could manage. If Hanmiao had just said Please stop" instead of "Shut up" I don't think anyone would have been so put off by her difficulty verbalizing.

For all that they tried to do an edit where she only gave him stony silence, she DID offer suggestions; he wouldn't take any of them. Tim shot her down too and praised the direction Edmond was going... which turned out to bad a bad one. Tim is 3 for 3 now, right?

Also, for some Chinese people, sustained eye contact is considered rude and inappropriate, as is direct confrontation.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 15

That white top, the long one, was my least favorite thing on this show ever.  It was weirdly bunched at the top or something, I kept wanting to physically pull it down, and it made me physically uncomfortable looking at it.  I've never had that before, and I didn't appreciate it.

Part of me wonders if there's a bit of editing making Jake look worse than he is.  It was interesting to watch though because when they started out it seemed like he was going to run over her and it seems he decided to check out entirely instead.  At least he copped to it on the runway.  That's why the other dude, Joseph, gets my vote for biggest douche.  How are you going to squash someone completely and then fault them for your sins?  Plus, your talent clearly didn't help the cape-like thing.  And at this point on this show they were lucky to have two people to make 3 pieces in one day.  If he can't focus on multiple pieces at once, how's he going to do long-term?

I feel like this was the best celebrity judge we've had in a long time.  I'm familiar with her, which helps, but her comments seemed coherent and relevant, and I appreciated that.  I also appreciated how happy that one designer was to see her, it was cute.

Tim's skin is terrible.  Can't Sally Beauty help with that?

I thought the Greek Isles one was pretty good.  I'm really liking the woman who was on that team (so she'll be losing soon I'm sure).  There's something about her that reminds me of junior high school ca. 1992, and I'm appreciating the familiarity/comfort that brings.

I don't remember hearing so much talk about their ideal customer before.  

A double win makes me suspicious about the next challenge, like they need two team captains or something (I didn't watch the preview, that's just random speculation).

• Love 9

Ah, team challenges. When personalities begin to appear...

I'm glad to see Ashley & Candice paired together, 2 of my favorites. I appreciate both of them for both their aesthetics & their personalities :) 

Laurie & Swapnil together also seems like a good thing. (Sidenote: Laurie's daughter is adorable.)

The last 4 people, any way you sliced it, there was going to be trouble.

Still no Mood. I miss Swatch!

Joseph telling Merline what she was/wasn't allowed to do - not cool. I get what he was saying, & he did help her focus, but he was assy about it. Their dress was a shit show. A mumsy, matronly shit show. The way they styled their model is *not* going to help them. 

Jake talking to Lindsay in skeevy manners was unpleasant. I smelled trouble early on. Appreciated the honest THs on Lindsay's part. 

With all the drama, at least we didn't have to hear from Blake this week :D 

Candice measuring in the work room - "here's my vag...." and a look to the camera. Heh. 

Hanmiao & Edmond started out strategizing okay, but they just couldn't get it together. 

I'm not going to miss any of the people that appear to be on the bottom. 

Runway:

YAY TRACEE ELLIS ROSS!!!

Candice/Ashley - I like it, I don't mind the mixing, the cape actually works for me

Joe/Merline - that's just really horrendous

Hanmiao/Edmond - yeah, not so good. Heidi gave it appraising eyes, but they were 'what is this mess?' eyes.

Laurie/Swapnil - I love the contrast of materials and the top.

Lindsay/Jake - Jake's an ass, but I like the green vest.

Kelly/Blake - so ugly from the front, but cute in the back.

Gabrielle/Amanda - I'm bored of asymmetrical elements, but I don't mind the pants and like the stripe. 

Judging - Kelly/Blake safe - sure, thats right. They liked Lindsay's look more than I did, and disliked Amanda/Gabrielle's look more. On the up close look, I saw the problems they had with it.

Tracee gives real feedback because of course she does <3

The top 3 interviews were so awkward. :/ Fighting on the runway!

Bottom 3 - 'oversexed grandma' comment cracked me up. Joe, being an ass, and then Merline "I'm here to stay, so I don't want to go." Ehhh. Not how it works. Figuring Gabrielle/Amanda were safe, knowing Edmond had immunity, I felt like we could lose any of the bottom 3 and I'd be okay with it.

So happy about the win! :D 

Everyone was nice to Hanmiao as she was leaving, that's good. It's not often the 'quirky' designers last very long, but it's always nice to see the different perspectives.

• Love 2

I kept wondering if they meant Florida or Russia.

Crikey! I thought it was Russia! That makes soooo much more sense. I'm such a doofus.

Edited by atir
  • Love 12

Jake talking to Lindsay in skeevy manners was unpleasant. I smelled trouble early on. Appreciated the honest THs on Lindsay's part.

I didn't like how Jake talked to Lindsay, his whole approach was childish, but one issue I had with Lindsay was that she never told HIM that. She bitched about it on camera to the producers, she bitched about him behind his back in the sewing rooms, and she bitched about it on the runway, but not once did she call him out for any of his behavior in person to his face to let him know she was not cool with his behavior, be it the way he talked to her or the way he left her doing all the work. If teamwork is about communication, she should have told him to step up and quit calling her sweetie. For someone who acts like she doesn't care what people thinks, she sure shied away from actually telling him when it counted. 

• Love 19

Swapnil was robbed of a win for the second week in a row.

I don't know who is the bigger ass, Jake or Joseph.

Tim seems to have misguided his mentees two weeks in a row; Last week he told David to scrap original first design which incorporated more of the card stock since it looked "constipated," and this week he encouraged a very literal interpretation of the Caribbean with a bikini.

The winning look was ugly. In what world does a cape go with a low cowl back? And with all those dizzying prints to boot. The judges may be questioning the contestants taste levels, but I think their own taste levels are highly suspect.

Edited by Rahul
  • Love 22

The winning look was ugly. In what world does a cape go with a low cowl back?

I guess they needed one piece to show they were taking the outfit from day to evening, but I honestly thought it didn't need that cape. The cape wrecked the effect of the cute top with the low cowl back. (And though I didn't love the color, the pants were well made.)

• Love 2

With that I just have to say, I love Tim Gunn but this is the 3rd challenge in a row where his advice contributed to a garment losing.

+1000000

Tim is a total detriment. It's gotten to the point where following his advise will pretty much guarantee your auf'ing.

• Love 13

Candice and Ashley are a breath of fresh air.  Talented, kind, gracious, and strong.  I love both of them.  Their winning outfit tonight was not my favorite at all, though.  Swapnil and Laurie's was so stylish and pretty, and I'm really liking the two of them as well.  Kelly, too.

Joseph can fuck right off.  And when he's done, he can go fuck off some more.  That was some bullshit he pulled on Merline.  Perhaps if he weren't a white man and she weren't a black woman, it wouldn't have been quite so uncomfortable to watch.  But it was, and that douche needs to do some serious soul searching on how he treats his peers.  I can't wait for him to leave.

Also can't wait for that other douche, Jack, to get auffed.  I totally agree with slothgirl's reading of him.  He was a passive aggressive little ass, and a creepy one at that.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 13
A double win makes me suspicious about the next challenge, like they need two team captains or something (I didn't watch the preview, that's just random speculation).

What made me suspicious is that we never saw the buttons Tim pulled from the bag up close. That lead me to believe the teams were all pre-ordained by the producers and the whole drawing chips was a deceptive charade.

• Love 4

How much money are they saving by not going to Mood? This is the third week in a row where the designers haven't really been able to choose their own fabric, which I think is a huge problem. That's where we often see who is boring or has terrible taste.

Jake was definitely a pouting passive aggressive baby, but the one really positive thing I have to say about him this week is that he shut down Lindsey's stupid kimono idea. I am so tired of people acting like all Asian countries are interchangeable. Hong Kong is part of China, NOT Japan, you ignorant Austin hipster, so no, a kimono is not appropriate when your inspiration is Hong Kong (the opposite happened on So You Think You Can Dance this week - a geisha character was dressed in a Chinese costume which was equally offensive in its ignorance).

And speaking of Lindsey, ITA that she was being just as passive aggressive as Jake. She complained to the cameras and the other designers about Jake but she never said anything to him about how demeaning it was for him to keep calling her "sweetie" until they were on the runway. I know some people HATE being called any kind of diminutive nickname and that's totally fine, but if you don't SAY SOMETHING then they will just keep doing it. I'm not defending Jake, but in a lot of creative industries, it's common for people to call each other things like "honey." But whatever the situation, if you don't like the way someone is addressing you, the only way to stop it is to tell them to stop it. Be an adult and open your mouth instead of bitching about it to everyone else and silently seething every time the perpetrator does it.

To be honest, I disliked almost every outfit created this week.

As much as I looked forward to seeing Candice and Ashley work together, I did not like their look. I couldn't understand why Gabrielle and Amanda were criticized for having too much going on in their look but Candice and Ashley didn't get the same critique.

To me, both needed massive editing and better fit. Candice and Ashley's top looked too loose and ill fitting in the front. Mr. EB knows nothing about women's fashion and he never watches PR, but when he saw their outfit come down the runway, he asked how they managed to make such unflattering pants that they made a thin model look bad. I hated the side mullet of Gabrielle and Amanda's top. I was sure that the judges were going to see underboob when she walked by on the runway.

I liked Swapnil and Laurie's but mostly for the sari. Laurie gets credit for choosing the right material for the sari but those pants she made looked terrible. Why were they so saggy from the waist to the crotch? It made it look like the model had gained weight and then overcompensated by buying pants that were too big to hide her bulging stomach.

I couldn't believe that Lindsey and Jake were in the top. Their outfit looked like a bad costume. Gee, maybe because the person who came up with all the ideas has never been to Hong Kong and thinks kimonos/Japan are at all related to Hong Kong! Ironically, the only part I even remotely liked was the pne part of the top that Jake did. All the crap that Lindsey did (that hideous long vest, the sheer skirt with the shorts) I hated.

I didn't blame Joseph for dreading working with Merline because she has already been shown to be consistently loud and annoying in the workroom in the two previous challenges. I thought he was trying to be friendly in the way he asked her not to sing while they were in the van before they even got started. And then he lost me when he started being a snotty know it all. He basically turned into the Lindsey of his team, shutting down the other person's ideas, assigning tasks, and then huffing and puffing about how the other person didn't know anything and wasn't doing any work. While I did feel bad for Merline, I did NOT feel bad for her when she said she couldn't be herself (because I thought she was referring to not being allowed to sing until the challenge was over). If being yourself means annoying everyone else in the workroom, then maybe you shouldn't be yourself. One person's need to be loud shouldn't supercede everyone else's need to work without someone screeching constantly. Plus what did she do when she was an architect? Walk around the office singing made up songs at the top of her lungs all day?

Edmond and Han Miao were just a disaster together. They were both at fault and I think it was just a matter of time before she was eliminated but I hate that she was aufed because she did all the things that Edmond specifically wanted to do (a bathing suit, a skirt, yellow, that bright flowered material, etc). Why did either of them think that making a bathing suit out of cotton was a good idea?!

I hated the idea of Blake and Kelly's Greek goddess jumpsuit but after all the other ugly crap that came down the runway, I was like wow, that's...not terrible!

Can one of you travellers explain the pink/orchid fabric for St Petersburg?

I bet there are plenty of older women in St. Petersburg, Florida, who would love that mumsy fabric!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 9

Tim is a total detriment. It's gotten to the point where following his advise will pretty much guarantee your auf'ing.

True this.  I was mad when they were doing "Previously, on Project Runway" and they showed David lifting the bodice front away from his mannequin because Tim declared it "constipated."  The whole thing was made of Hallmark card slivers!  It already contained as much paper as Blake used.  David could still be here!  Thanks, Tim.

• Love 7

It's been a while since a designer has angered me as much as Joseph did this episode. What a piece of shit he is. His treatment of Merlene was despicable. She may be a little kooky, but that is no excuse for his behaviour. He completely stifled and shut her down before they had even got into the design room. He then forced his design through, and spent the whole time micro-managing and condescending her, which he bizarrely seemed proud of. He then had the gall to blame her and throw her under the bus on the run way. This was 100% his design and it was crap because he is crap designer. I hope he's booted off very soon!

• Love 24

I kept wondering if they meant Florida or Russia.

I assumed Russia, so I was doubly confounded by their outfit.

Wasn't Joseph the one in the casting show who talked so proudly about how he loooooooooved making "small" people feel small? Asshat.

Also pretty ironic, since he's one of the "smallest" there.

• Love 8

Well, I made it to the third episode before I got so disgusted with the challenge pressures and shenanigans that I don't want to watch anymore.

Now they have "8 hours" instead of "1 day."  And coordinating/arguing with a partner eats another chunk of the time you'd be using to power forward with your own concept, so I see that as a deficit and not the bonus 8 hours Tim claimed.

Tonight they were hobbled by fabrics and yardage they couldn't control, assigned partners, insufficient material in first-come-first-served "mini-Mood" and 8 hour time frames.

Next week on Cutthroat Runway--they have to wear thimbles on all their fingers.

P.S>I don't believe for a minute that budgeting is responsible for turning this formerly legitimate design competition into a beat-the-clock shit show.  They aren't trying to keep the costs down--they're just ratcheting up the nerves and exhaustion to increase the probability of drama from the frazzled competitors.

Edited by candall
  • Love 21