Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E03: Shut Up And Sew

• Start Topic

Now they have "8 hours" instead of "1 day."  And coordinating/arguing with a partner eats another chunk of the time you'd be using to power forward with your own concept, so I see that as a deficit and not the bonus 8 hours Tim claimed.

I'm going to say something I thought I'd never say which is that Threads might have actually been a good idea. My tolerance for idiocy on Project Runway proper is so much higher now. When you're watching 12 year olds make 2 outfits in 5 hours it makes an 8 hour team challenge (where both people should be able to sew) seem less terrible. 

• Love 2

I've never been to Venice. Do people there really stroll about in massive bell bottoms and capes? I don't know. Is that a day look in Venice? The Cape? And saggy pants? Who the hell wants box pleats on the front of their thighs? Venetians, I guess? What do I know? And then for evening, they hop in their gondolas in Isadora Duncan style backless tops with nooses of fabric? Really?

And then the south of France. Never been there, either. I guess they're also really keen on bell bottoms with Hi/Lo blouses and Red, White & Blue stripes? I mean, I guess it's possible, but it doesn't really scream Monaco to me. I can't even picture the trashier Princesses wearing that look. And was the night time look? Or was that it? Maybe it's always Right Time for the Night Time in Monaco? Who knows.

Santorini got the biggest bell bottoms. What the hell goes on in Europe, anyway, that everyone wants pants that can sleep three?

• Love 12

And Swapnil is just beautiful. That's all from my shallow end of the pool.

I find his lavender contacts distracting. If you google his name, you'll see lots of photos of him with his naturally brown eyes. He's handsome, particularly when he's shaved his face. Lots of personality, too.

• Love 4

OMG, seeing the winning outfit on the Lifetime site really makes me shake my head - it is awful and thoroughly unflattering on the model.

Wow, I thought the pleats looked OK seeing it for a few moments on TV but looking at that static image her crotch looks like it's two feet long. 

Merline's an inconsiderate pain in the ass.    I hate thoughtless people.   She places her own craving for singing and dancing above everybody else's need for a workplace in which they can concentrate.   Unless her antics are a deliberate attempt to psych out her opponents, then she's just being an asshole.

I can't explain it but I get a very strong "performing for TV" vibe from her. There have only been a few contestants that has worked for. Santino. Christian Siriano. I don't think Merline is going to be one of them.

• Love 5

I would be side eyeing the shit out of someone who suggested a Kimono for Hong Kong.

Not just because it's culturally incorrect, but because it is also possible that you would get nailed for it on the Runway. I can hear Nina saying "Why did you do a KIMONO?! FOR HONG KONG?!"

And after that, I'd have a hard time really trusting the person who suggested it, especially if that person didn't acknowledge that they were wrong. And then the person goes on to demand as if they know 100% of what needs to be done? I've worked with people like that and they are as annoying as fuck. My instinct (which isn't correct, I know) is to contribute and try to correct glaring errors and GTFO as soon as possible.

I'm not saying that Jake wasn't a condescending ass, but she also needs to communicate. If you don't like it when people call you sweetheart, tell them. If you incorrectly suggest a coconut bra for Geneva, Switzerland, acknowledge it. You can take the terms of endearment two ways - he was either trying to be patronizing, or he was trying to be friendly. She never found out because she was so busy being offended by it.

• Love 12

Lisablingling(?), I'm a knitter, too & I got my feelers dissed when Lindsay complained about Jake doing something with the fabric like an old woman knitting. Gah!

Ling Ling is my family nickname, yeah, like the Giant Panda.  Also - thanks for reminding me what it was I don't like about Lindsay!  

Lindsay and Jake were a bad pair who both, possibly, could have worked well with someone else.  But in Jake's defense, I call everybody Sweetie or Honey or Dear.  And when they ask me to stop, I try my hardest, but sometimes I have to resort to Buddy.  If you can't stand to be called by an endearment, ever, then we probably aren't going to be friends. 

I realized though that all of the teams were mixed doubles except for the winners.  I wonder what would have happened if we hadn't had so many boy/girl pairs.  Jake - Joseph?  Could have been a much more fun trainwreck to watch.  Hanmaio and Merline?  Probably also a trainwreck but maybe not.  I'm just glad they didn't put Swapnil and Blake together to see if they could ramp up the tension from last week.  

Edited by LisaBLingLing
  • Love 3

You can take the terms of endearment two ways - he was either trying to be patronizing, or he was trying to be friendly. She never found out because she was so busy being offended by it.

I've been called those terms by a man in a professional place of business (which this essentially is for them) before. It's practically never trying to be friendly.

Mind you, if he'd said that to me, I would so have wanted to say, "My name ain't sweetie. It's auntlada. Ms. auntlada, if you're nasty." Yeah, I'm old, and so therefore would never be on this show anyway, what with (according to them, apparently) having one foot in the grave already.

In defense of the people on the show who talk in horror about clothes seeming matronly or old, that does seem to be much of society's opinion. I'm not saying it's right, and I don't think it is, but pick up almost any women's magazine, and you'll find more than one article about how to look younger than you are.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 10

I'm not a fan of Lindsey, but I'm fully on board the train of not wanting to be called Sweetie, Honey, or Dear. I find it incredibly condescending and just plain rude--and that includes when women use the term when addressing other women.

Unless you're Mr. Tess, my mom, or a relative, it's Tess to you. Or ma'am, if you're much younger than me (which, at 52, is just about ready for the retirement home cough cough #yourenotthatmuchyoungerthanmenina). 

• Love 5

I've been called those terms by a man in a professional place of business (which this essentially is for them) before. It's practically never trying to be friendly.

Mind you, if he'd said that to me, I would so have wanted to say, "My name ain't sweetie. It's auntlada. Ms. auntlada, if you're nasty." Yeah, I'm old, and so therefore would never be on this show anyway, what with (according to them, apparently) having one foot in the grave already.

In defense of the people on the show who talk in horror about clothes seeming matronly or old, that does seem to be much of society's opinion. I'm not saying it's right, and I don't think it is, but pick up almost any women's magazine, and you'll find more than one article about how to look younger than you are.

It wasn't the comments about the clothes so much as the comments about OLD WOMEN, as if to be one was the ultimate horror/disgrace/dishonor or something.

• Love 5

I think we're about the same age cuz I was in HS when that song was popular.  Seared into my memory.

However, I've found both. I've worked in tech and never had a boss call me "sweetheart." Clients, yes, and giant eyeroll to that.

I feel like PR is a mix of professional and personal. You can't maintain a strictly professional demeanor in that environment. Although he was a pissy ass...you know what? I was going to say "he might have been trying to set a friendly tone," but there is no way a man of his age doesn't know that you don't call a female colleague "darling."  Especially if she's already pissed off at you.

So yeah, he was being a dick. And being passive aggressive about it. And it shouldn't be up to her to say that he was being inappropriate because he knows and was doing it anyway.

However, she also acted like an asshole so maybe that's why he was trying to needle her or "put her in her place."

• Love 1

I feel like PR is a mix of professional and personal. You can't maintain a strictly professional demeanor in that environment. Although he was a pissy ass...you know what? I was going to say "he might have been trying to set a friendly tone," but there is no way a man of his age doesn't know that you don't call a female colleague "darling."  Especially if she's already pissed off at you.

So yeah, he was being a dick. And being passive aggressive about it. And it shouldn't be up to her to say that he was being inappropriate because he knows and was doing it anyway.

My issue wasn't as much about him calling her pet names, but the way he sulked, pouted and (most importantly) threw in the towel on the whole challenge. He was playing the part of: "man hen-pecked by a domineering woman". That's why he reminded me so much of the psycho killers on L&O... it's those churlish "docile" passive aggressive men who are committing violent crimes against women in their secret life, because they feel powerless and hate women for that.

Not saying Jake is doing anything like that... just that his demeanor reminded me of that tv character stereotype.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

Cruises leave from Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, and Tampa, Florida.  A number of cruises stop in Key West, Florida, but the port of St. Petersburg is not used for cruises.  As a previous poster noted upthread, St. Petersburg is the highlight of many Baltic cruises, and many cruises let you stay there overnight (some even let you tour the city for 3 days).  The designers clearly knew which city they were supposed to be designing for, as they described it to Tim as "opulent and garish" and he told them to lean towards opulent (although I saw neither in their design).

• Love 2

I wish Hanmaio barraged Edmond with a deluge of Mandarin (or whichever Chinese dialect she speaks) when he pressured her to tell him exact what she was thinking. It would be all that much sweeter if she was cursing him out and they subtitled it.

I don't get this.  It was a team challenge that they only had a day to complete.  They needed to have a blueprint of what they were going to do fairly quickly.  How were they supposed to work together if she wouldn't tell him her ideas?  He was very patient with her and behaved like a gentlemen after she was unprofessional, rude and witchy when she told him to shut up twice.  I don't give a crap about a language barrier, she knows it's impolite to tell someone to shut up.  I was extremely pleased when she went home.

• Love 21

I have been to Europe stationed in Germany and visited Venice twice and believe me, nobody was wearing that awful outfit that won the challenge!...honestly, everyone was wearing skirts or jeans!!  What were the judges thinking? And second who would wear all three pieces.

This challenge really brought out the rude, unprofessional behavior of several people...let's hope as the season goes on it gets better

• Love 2

People do realize that Chinese and Japanese are nationalities and not two separate races right? While Lindsey was culturally ignorant, it wasn't racist. As a racial minority who has, does and will experience racism, that word does actually mean something you know.

Anywho, I thought Swapnil's design should have won and probably would have if his partner didn't screw up the pants. They were so focused on the crotch when the back was a hot mess. I thought the pants being high waisted was dumb and cliche too.

I really did not get the winning design at all. The pants were ill fitting and the wrong length. The top made no sense in the back and the cape looked like the model was playing dress up and tied a sheet around her neck. Middle of the pack at best.

The designer who makes matronly clothes was a complete asshole. He can't completely blame his partner for the loss when he took over the project completely. And his dress was poorly made anyway.

The right person went home. When she refused to even look at Edmond when he tried to show her how to make a swimsuit after admitting she didn't know how to make one, I was just too through with her.

• Love 8

I have been to Europe stationed in Germany and visited Venice twice and believe me, nobody was wearing that awful outfit that won the challenge!...

The outfits were so bad as a whole (really ALL of them), that this was relatively painless in comparison though.  Sure it was a cliche, but that's mostly what this show deals in even at the best of times.

I'd rate it mediocre, winning due to poor competition, more than awful.

Nope.

Well then 'people' needs to be defined.  All I saw was one idiot girl who didn't know the difference between two cultures, and a forum full of people who have discussed that (a few coming down a bit too strongly and calling her 'racist'). But not everybody did, and even those who did I don't think were implying that they thought Chinese and Japanese were different races.  Merely that being insensitive about different cultures within the Asian bailiwick bordered on being racist (again--two different races don't need to be involved for something to be potentially racist--it could just be someone running roughshod over the differences between different members of the same race--it would be like saying "all white people can't dance", for example).  

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 6

I haven't listened yet this week, but Tom and Lorenzo had a conversation (not actually related to PR) about cultural appropriation during their recap podcast last week. Where they came down was that cultural appropriation can be an act of respect, but it can be problematic if you don't acknowledge the culture you're appropriating from. So I didn't get racism from her (not that I necessarily would), but I did get a disturbing feeling that she was annoyed at him for harshing her vague glow of orientalism by reminding her that she was thinking of the wrong real people. I also think she was a bit nettled because he pointed out that she said something ignorant, which she kind of did.

FWIW.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 7

Well then 'people' needs to be defined.  All I saw was one idiot girl who didn't know the difference between two cultures, and a forum full of people who have discussed that (a few coming down a bit too strongly and calling her 'racist'). But not everybody did, and even those who did I don't think were implying that they thought Chinese and Japanese were different races.  Merely that being insensitive about different cultures within the Asian bailiwick bordered on being racist (again--two different races don't need to be involved for something to be potentially racist--it could just be someone running roughshod over the differences between different members of the same race--it would be like saying "all white people can't dance", for example).

If it doesn't apply to you, ignore it then.  Also, she didn't say or imply "all Asians wear kimonos."  I think she legitimately didn't know AND it wasn't derogatory or even a blanket statement.  She didn't say, "Whatever, ching chang ching chong, none of them can drive anyway."  Nobody would have said boo if the city was Addis Ababa and a designer suggested to make a dashiki.  I have seen plenty of well meaning, "liberal" people act as though Africa was one big country.  I don't see that as racist as it is straight up ignorance of cultures and geography.  What WAS racist was when that one idiot told Swapnil that he doesn't understand "Indian" when Swapnil was speaking perfectly understandable English.  It just looks to me that many here are confusing ignorance of a nationality and and actual racism.

Edited by Freckledbruh
  • Love 8

Can Tracy be added as a regular judge, please? She was amazing, especially compared to whatsherface from last week who was cringeworthy.

I like how the women this season seem to have such a great rapport and are so supportive of one another. Even their reaction to Hanmiao's elimination seemed genuine and sweet while all the men (Swapnil excepted) stood on the periphery looking like bitches.

Hi, I would like to place an order for a Final 4 of Ashley, Candice, Laurie and Swapnil for delivery. (Although I also find Lindsey absolutely delightful. She is just so over it all the time and is how I imagine myself being on Reality TV.)

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 4

Jake was definitely a pouting passive aggressive baby, but the one really positive thing I have to say about him this week is that he shut down Lindsey's stupid kimono idea. I am so tired of people acting like all Asian countries are interchangeable. Hong Kong is part of China, NOT Japan, you ignorant Austin hipster, so no, a kimono is not appropriate when your inspiration is Hong Kong (the opposite happened on So You Think You Can Dance this week - a geisha character was dressed in a Chinese costume which was equally offensive in its ignorance).

Here, here! That was his one major saving point. Pan-Asian fusion is fine and I love it, but not when you're aiming for a specific  culture.

I don't know why pink/lavender would signify St. Petersburg, Russia.

Maybe the intern loading up the suitcases saw "St. Petersburg" and thought, "Oh, my Granny lives there. She'd love this purple stuff..."

• Love 2

I thought all the looks were tragically bad except the India one. I was happy with the elimination since Edmond tried all he could to get her opinion or just start a conversation, maybe if they had collaborated they would have made something nicer. Another one who deserved to go was Joseph, he really is a fan of granny-chic, when the St.Petersburg model came out I was like "why is this model so much older than the others?" She literally looked, to me, like 45-50, then when I saw a close up of her face, it was just the way she was styled. Just weird, and then when he blamed his partner... he so deserved to be sent home. This should have been a double elimination.

The looks that were number 1 and 3 just looked a tiny bit better than all the rest, I thought the greek look was awful and among the weirdest ever.

• Love 1

I was happy with the elimination since Edmond tried all he could to get her opinion or just start a conversation, maybe if they had collaborated they would have made something nicer.

Yes, maybe if Edmond had collaborated by taking some of the suggestions that Hangmiao made instead of just badgering her to talk and then ignoring her ideas, they would have made something nicer... something that wouldn't have been a swimsuit with a garish yellow wrap over it.

• Love 2

Yes, maybe if Edmond had collaborated by taking some of the suggestions that Hangmiao made instead of just badgering her to talk and then ignoring her ideas, they would have made something nicer... something that wouldn't have been a swimsuit with a garish yellow wrap over it.

Wasn't the swimsuit Hangmiao's "idea" and contribution?  She didn't want to do it at first but when Tim Gunn Suggested it (and Edmond stated that that was his original idea that they scrapped), she went along with it.  She even took the model out of the showroom to work on it alone rather than use the other swimsuit.

Edited by Freckledbruh
  • Love 2

I disagree with Candice and Ashley's look winning even though I like them both because I just thought there was too much going on. I loved their striped top, but I didn't like how it drooped down below the cape and I wasn't a fan of the pants either. I really liked Swapnil and Laurie's look, but my favorite was Kelly and Blake's Grecian design. I really thought that should've been in the top and should've won.

Edmond and Hanmiao's collaboration was a disaster from the very beginning and I put a lot of blame on Hanmiao. I think she was so set on the fact that their design aesthetics are completely different from each other  that she didn't even try to compromise with him. I thought that Edmond was being very respectful towards her and did try to get her input, but she didn't communicate with him or listen to him. She even admitted at the end that it was her fault that the team didn't work out and that the lack of communication was the main problem. I thought her elimination was justified.

• Love 7

I don't think Edmond was all that patient either. He seemed to tell her to say what she was thinking and while she seemed to be thinking how to verbalize it, he'd interrupt and say, "Think out loud." He wasn't giving her time to think out loud. I also wondered if she didn't actually realize that saying shut-up was rude because of the cultural difference. I don't know exactly where she comes from, though, and I don't know a lot about Chinese culture (not even enough to know exactly how many different Chinese cultures there might be) so I don't know if being that abrupt isn't considered rude where she's from.

• Love 2

I watched the episode twice.  First time through, I was all on Edmond's side of the situation with Hanmiao, but on second viewing, I saw it a bit differently.  There were times when he said, "Tell me what you're thinking," and she started to, but he just kept telling her to talk, instead of listening to what she was actually saying.  So there was fault on both sides, it was not just all Hanmiao's lack of communication.  Not equal amounts, though.  She was clearly far more responsible for the ultimate failure.  That awful yellow skirt was all Edmond's, though. 

• Love 1

seriously people... google Chinese kimono. There IS such a thing. While the people in China may not use that term for the garment, it's not completely out of left field that someone else might.

While I agree that Lindsey was probably operating from ignorance of Chinese/Japanese, the basic kimono idea (a wrapping robe-like piece of outerwear) is or has been prevalent in many cultures, including China. She even tried to clarify in her talking heads that she was trying to suggest a JACKET.. one that wrapped.

The real mistake wasn't referring to "Kimono".. It was taking a stereotypical "Oriental" looking fabric and doing something that in any way resembled a costume. The challenge wasn't "China"... it was Hong Kong specifically. HK is an international progressive city that was heavily influenced by the entire world. They should have used that fabric, but designed something fashion forward and chic. (and no, Jake's absurd idea to use black and do color trim lapels wouldn't have been very good either... images of black velvet smoking jackets immediately popped into my mind!)

• Love 6

They should have used that fabric, but designed something fashion forward and chic.

That is assuming either one of them could design something fashions forward and chic.  The design was pretty basic and I am not sure they would have changed that even with different fabric.

• Love 2

What, exactly, were Hanmaio's suggestions? because I don't remember any and my daughter's already erased the DVR.

The only look that did the day/evening part of the challenge was Swapnil's, without the 'sari' for day and with for evening. Everyone else's didn't seem to come close.

• Love 4

The Hong Kong fabric was pretty awful. I mean, did the Greek fabric have little acropolises on them with Greek letters?

Why didn't the Venice fabric have gondolas on it and say "ciao?!" The St. Petersburg fabric was missing a portrait of Lenin.

They really got stuck with that red and green and gold mess. I've been in Chinese tourist traps that were less gaudy than that crap.

I'm still not giving Lindsey a pass on the kimono, because the was she handled it was not awesome, but they were sort of in a corner.

• Love 5

Wasn't the swimsuit Hangman's "idea" and contribution?  She didn't want to do it at first but when Tim Gunn Suggested it (and Edmond stated that that was his original idea that they scrapped), she went along with it.  She even took the model out of the showroom to work on it alone rather than use the other swimsuit.

She made the suit, but I don't recall that she ever suggested doing one. I remember her trying to oppose it. Once TG had approved the idea though, what was she supposed to say to convince Edmond AND Tim that it wasn't a good idea? She was trapped at that point. She did try to get Edmond to use a different fabric for the skirt and he shut her down. Edmond making a bad skirt regardless of color was all on him because he was too busy trying to make a 2nd bathing suit to replace the one they agreed she would make, and then getting pissy that she was fitting the suit in a bathroom. Then Edmond threw up strings all over it for no good reason at all.

I do blame her for not making a top and bottom that fit. Since she was making them, she could have pushed "swimsuit" out of her mindset and made a fitted top (which is what it looked like she was headed towards) and some sort of boy-short bottom. If the pieces weren't intended to be swimwear, they wouldn't need to be skin tight and stretchy. If she had made a 2 piece casual wear type thing out of that fabric and then his awful skirt got thrown on top, she might have escaped elimination because it would have clearly been HIS contribution that was outrageously bad.

As much as I was looking forward to seeing more from her because of her completely different aesthetic, I have to wonder if her preference for "unfeminine" styles was either due to, or resulted in, a complete inability to fit a garment. If that was the case, she wouldn't have lasted long.

• Love 4

She made the suit, but I don't recall that she ever suggested doing one. I remember her trying to oppose it. Once TG had approved the idea though, what was she supposed to say to convince Edmond AND Tim that it wasn't a good idea? She was trapped at that point. She did try to get Edmond to use a different fabric for the skirt and he shut her down. Edmond making a bad skirt regardless of color was all on him because he was too busy trying to make a 2nd bathing suit to replace the one they agreed she would make, and then getting pissy that she was fitting the suit in a bathroom. Then Edmond threw up strings all over it for no good reason at all.

Sorry. I didn't mean to suggest that the swimsuit was her idea as much as she took ownership of it.  Also, Tim didn't approve of the idea.  He suggested it because they didn't have any fully realized ideas on the mannequin.  Edmond then said that he had that idea originally but they scrapped it because she didn't want to do it.  Tim then convinced her to go along and she took ownership of that part of the project.  Edmond then asked if she knew how to make one.  She said no.  Edmond then tried to show her how to make one and she refused to even look at him.

I don't remember Edmond choosing that particular fabric BUT I do think that was his bigger faux pas because he never suggested changing it and it was all wrong for a swimsuit.  One of the judges said that it was a stiff cotton with no stretch and as a former bikini shop manager, I can tell you that swimsuits must have stretch to it.

PS:  He put those strings on?  I thought he was making his own swimsuit by the time that mess appeared.

Edmond and Hanmiao's collaboration was a disaster from the very beginning and I put a lot of blame on Hanmiao. I think she was so set on the fact that their design aesthetics are completely different from each other  that she didn't even try to compromise with him. I thought that Edmond was being very respectful towards her and did try to get her input, but she didn't communicate with him or listen to him. She even admitted at the end that it was her fault that the team didn't work out and that the lack of communication was the main problem. I thought her elimination was justified.

Hanmiao seemed to show herself to be a huge hypocrite.  Unless what we saw was heavily edited to make her look worse (possible of course) the narrative we got was Edmond pressing her to talk it out and her outright ignoring him.  While a language barrier and her thinking in another language might indeed be a very big part of that (and left out by the show), what also needed to be there (assuming it wasn't cut to make her look bad) was her finishing her "thinking" and then coming over to him and saying more than "our aesthetics are too different", and then her having concrete suggestions other than hand wringing, losing her temper, and later on going around him.

Then, and this is the capper, her seeming to blame him in the aftermath (even though she said she wasn't) with her parting line about how the communication was bad. Because again, unless they really went after her in the editing, we SAW Edmond try and bridge that gap and her turn her back on it.  And remember, even if she didn't say "it's Edmond's fault" she did say "I am so mad".  Who do we suppose she was mad at? Nina?  I bet not. It was Edmond. I suppose that fury could have been over the accessories he added last minute (and we heard her anger about that), but if she think they lost because of the accesorizing, then she's even more delusional than it seems. 

• Love 6

im still waiting to see if these people can design. 3/3 challenges and no opportunities to go to Mood and SELF SELECT materials, colors, fabrics, textiles. Yes, there was backup fabric and they could ignore what was CHOSEN FIR THEM in random suitcases, but I don't know any designer that would given the time challenge and the fact they sketched in the ship with back up materials sight unseen. I'm hoping next week will allow them to truly reveal who they are. Until then, I can't really pick a favorite aside from their personalities.

...and I don't remember her saying she was mad,,,I thought she said she felt helpless, not mad....I'm probably wrong...

• Love 2

Are people here still confused if it's St. Petersburg, Florida or Russia? Seriously? Since when is a small town in Florida at the same level as the rest of the international destinations like Venice and Hong Kong?

Can we put that to rest now?

• Love 6

Are people here still confused if it's St. Petersburg, Florida or Russia? Seriously? Since when is a small town in Florida at the same level as the rest of the international destinations like Venice and Hong Kong?

Can we put that to rest now?

According to Mila, who's blogging on the PR site, it's Russia.

PS:  He put those strings on?  I thought he was making his own swimsuit by the time that mess appeared.

My memory is that he put the string things on it as they were doing the last minute stuff before heading to the runway (after he'd given up getting his suit on the model) I have a dim memory that he was playing with stringy things for his own suit.

im still waiting to see if these people can design. 3/3 challenges and no opportunities to go to Mood and SELF SELECT materials, colors, fabrics, textiles. Yes, there was backup fabric and they could ignore what was CHOSEN FIR THEM in random suitcases, but I don't know any designer that would given the time challenge and the fact they sketched in the ship with back up materials sight unseen. I'm hoping next week will allow them to truly reveal who they are. Until then, I can't really pick a favorite aside from their personalities.

...and I don't remember her saying she was mad,,,I thought she said she felt helpless, not mad....I'm probably wrong...

I also remember her saying "helpless". She might have also said "angry", but I definitely remember "helpless".

I'm starting to wonder if "We pick your fabric!" is this season's "twist". Like "It's all TEAMS this season!" from a few seasons back. Maybe along with all the other vendors that have come and gone, Mood doesn't want them in there anymore.

Sponsorship has really gone downhill. And I'm seriously already sick of the MaryKay commercial jingle. I know the video is different, but isn't that the same annoying song from last year? Or is it so irritating that I just THINK I've been hearing it for years? They really need a new jingle.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

My memory is that he put the string things on it as they were doing the last minute stuff before heading to the runway (after he'd given up getting his suit on the model) I have a dim memory that he was playing with stringy things for his own suit.

I might watch it again but I definitely know he wasn't using the strings on his own suit because it was a maillot style one piece that looked like Body Glove circa 1992.

And remember, even if she didn't say "it's Edmond's fault" she did say "I am so mad".

You're correct English Teacher, she said "I'm not mad." She said she felt helpless and was disappointed (I think).

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

And I'd like to point out that King of the Hill is set in Texas and Lindsay is living in....Texas.

So what are you saying? I wouldn't judge a whole state of people by one ignorant hipster. I'm sure cultural ignorance is prevalent in all 50 states. And for the record, we have a huge Asian population from various countries living in the DFW metroplex. Sorry if I sound defensive, but I get tired of the constant put-downs of Texans.

As for the looks this week, the only one that looked like someone would actually wear it was the sari outfit, but only if that crotch was fixed on the pant.

I've never been very impressed by Joseph or Jake so they can go next, preferably in a double-elimination.

Loved seeing Diana Ross's daughter. I was a huge fan of Diana's back in the day. Her Touch Me in the Morning Album was the first album I ever owned, and I spent hours lying on my bedroom floor listening to the Diana & Marvin album.

• Love 7

As for the looks this week, the only one that looked like someone would actually wear it was the sari outfit, but only if that crotch was fixed on the pant.

What's funny to me is... I never noticed there was anything wrong with the crotch on those pants, because I was too distracted by how it seemed to bunch up around the hips. They didn't lay flat nicely. That's the part that was bugging me. 

But I did love the sari-inspired outer wrap. It was beautiful, on the model and on Tracee.

• Love 3