Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

Oh boy. Yeah, I'm ok with Da'Vonne leaving soon. If it's not this week, before jury is fine with me. That competition was just....bad. From what the editing showed, it seemed like they only got two out of nine shots right before Jason/Steve won. That's...that's pretty bad, and I don't blame John for just doing nothing and letting her drag him around.

I don't really like Shelli and I don't like Clay; I have a bad feeling that they'll act like the power duo of the house very, very soon and I am not here for that. 

But back to Da'Vonne, she's honestly too intense and too negative for me. And I'm usually a negative person! I just don't like her attitude toward others and, honest or not, it rubs me the wrong way personally. So if she does go this week, then I won't be upset.

I like how Becky made her train story more of a non-chalant, positive one. 

I liked John a bit more this episode; I haven't been a huge fan because of his yelling (and I also just really hate dentists...sorry John) but he was really endearing in the BOTB.

• Love 2

Wow. I don't get the feeds, so from what we were shown on the episodes, the inciting incident for all this was Clay taking exception to Da'vonne going in another room. Did Da'vonne overreact? Yes. But Clay's "Gee, all I did was accuse you of being sneaky and then you have the nerve to get all upset, so the problem is with you" looked like a big helping of casual racism with a little casual sexism ("Women are so emotional, amirite") thrown in.

I've always said Big Brother is one of the most interesting social experiments, and sadly, it seems the show can pat themselves heavily on the back for calling out overt racists, but casual racists or sexists will always get a pass. So, Clay (and Jeff) can talk with Shelli about nominating Da'vonne for "coming after us," which is code for "Angry Black Woman," which is code for "Gee, I have no idea why someone would get upset about being accused of sneaking into a room, because that doesn't reinforce racial stereotypes or anything."

But Clay, Jeff and Shelli will get a pass because they didn't compare her to fish that sit on the bottom of the tank. Society...amirite?

• Love 7
(edited)

I could have done without the quasi-goofy music played over Becky's "My face was hit by a train" story. She apparently came close to requiring brain surgery!

So in Jason's part of the country (Massachusetts) do they all pronounce squirrels like "square-ils"?

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 2

Wow. I don't get the feeds, so from what we were shown on the episodes, the inciting incident for all this was Clay taking exception to Da'vonne going in another room. Did Da'vonne overreact? Yes. But Clay's "Gee, all I did was accuse you of being sneaky and then you have the nerve to get all upset, so the problem is with you" looked like a big helping of casual racism with a little casual sexism ("Women are so emotional, amirite") thrown in.

I've always said Big Brother is one of the most interesting social experiments, and sadly, it seems the show can pat themselves heavily on the back for calling out overt racists, but casual racists or sexists will always get a pass. So, Clay (and Jeff) can talk with Shelli about nominating Da'vonne for "coming after us," which is code for "Angry Black Woman," which is code for "Gee, I have no idea why someone would get upset about being accused of sneaking into a room, because that doesn't reinforce racial stereotypes or anything."

But Clay, Jeff and Shelli will get a pass because they didn't compare her to fish that sit on the bottom of the tank. Society...amirite?

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't particularly like Da'Vonne, and I do have the feeds but haven't watched much of them. I don't like Da'Vonne mostly because I find her DRs annoying, she's too intense and she's paranoid to the point of judging people harshly. But I also do not like Clay/Shelli/Jeff because of their attitude toward her. Clay seems like the type to be misogynistic in a way, and I'm not sure why. He just gives off a bad vibe, as does Jeff. Shelli acts like some manipulator, especially through her DRs this episode, but she's really just listening to Clay and going 'yes, Master'. I don't know if they want Da'Vonne out because she's black. Maybe it just so happens they do not like her and she happens to be black. I would hope that's the impression I give off of myself with my opinion of Da'Vonne. But it's hard to really see, because they'd have to cast more than one black woman/man to really see if this is true, especially of Shelli.

Plus....I hope nobody on this show can be as racist as Aaryn from BB15. Now SHE was so incredibly racist, there were neon lights with the word flashing above her constantly.

• Love 4

Clay is basically running Shelli's HoH and he is still stuck on that one room incident. Also, I think the main reason SHelli lost trust in Da'vonne is because she didn't get the safety last week.

Gosh I seriously hope Clay goes home next week (preferably at the hands of Audrey).

I feel bad that her plan to backdoor Audrey is falling through. However, she know that it was only a matter of time before Audrey fell back into good graces.

• Love 1

Audrey may just get far - she's absolutely fearless with the lying. And one of the main things about lying is that if you tell a lie often enough, people start to think it might be true. She's always going to be a huge target, and as such will be kept as a meatshield while the others pick each other off over petty issues like who got mad someone walked into a room or whatever that's all about. I still don't know. I think this show needs to be on more than three days a week, no more than one comp per show, so we can see more of the house dynamics and strategy.

• Love 1
(edited)

Da'Vonne totally lost me with that "I'm a solo performer, I don't work duos, teams or groups" remark. She picked the wrong show to be a contestant on, then.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 8

Johnny Mac is a chump and a fool. He has the chance to do the right thing AND be SAFE by 100% and he passes on it so as not to anger people that are in power who may very well be OUT of power next week. 

It's time for someone to notice that its time to split up a power duo that Clay and Shelli are becoming. This should be done at the first opportunity. Shelli is just a catty witch....Clay she's not interested in your opinion..she interested in your d@*k.

Typical BIG BROTHER..the one person who should be going out appears on the verge of reprieve. Also typical BATTLE OF THE BLOCK...same nominees every week. This year it will be John and Steve I guess. Why did they bring this back now?

No hint of the twin shennanigans.

Save Da'Vonne!

• Love 6

I think I figured out how to tell which twin is which.  It seems that Liz prefers to part her hair on the side, but Julia's hair is parted closer to the middle.

I think the reason Audrey may make it farther is because no one trusts a word she says, so they can just ignore her for the most part.  She'll always be an 'easy' vote off if/when they need to do so.  But in the mean time, take care of others they want out that are more dangerous because sometimes they tell the truth and sometimes they don't.

I did love that DaV called a house meeting to out Audrey's lies.  Too bad the fearless one will likely be going home.

Two words that in BB history have never gone well: "House Meeting"

I love that their ad for "LIVE" updates features all players from last season. What you couldn't throw together three clips for an add by episode 6??

John has a little bit of Bobcat Goldthwait in him when he talks in the DR... that kind of strained a little too loud thing... 

There are way too many people talking about themselves in the third person...

I love Jason saying "SQUARE-ill" for squirrel.

It drives me so nutty how much Shelli looks like Dani (Evel).

So in Jason's part of the country (Massachusetts) do they all pronounce squirrels like "square-ils"?

God no.  I don't live there any more, but his accent is so weird.  He sounds more like a retiree in Florida playing bingo recalling his past life.  Or Betty Boop.

• Love 4

Da'Vonne totally lost me with that "I'm a solo performer, I don't work duos, teams or groups" remark. She picked the wrong show to be a contestant on, then.

She was giving me bad vibes before tonight but yeah her going all Brittenum Twins on us didn't help matters. She came in, it would seem to me, with a plan to hate everyone in order to bring out her most competive self. No attatchements = no problems, the old "as long as it's not me going home" strategery. However you gotta trust somebody even if it's just one person if you want to take a real run at winning. You can't go all rouge and coming in with all bridges already burned and hope to do well. She's still all "I can't believe I'm in here with all these morons" yeah well those morons are going to vote you out sooner rather than later because your attitude is as bad as your gameplay.

• Love 5
(edited)

Anyway I hope mama da wins POV and Audrey gets her butt kicked to the curb, I hate trouble makers and that's all she has done in the house

Edited by Stinger97
  • Love 1

I guess the 7th Call is going to a bust, too. The 3 votes aren't gonna do squat. Between that & the boring twin twist its slim pickings. Day shouldn't have signed up for BB if she wanted to play solo. Props for calling the house meeting but it backfired. Shelli & Clay are annoying me. Enjoy the week, y'all!

I feel like that is a lot of projection there. Da'Vonne doesn't seem like someone most people would to deal with. Whether that person be black, white or green. He could just not like her or trust and he has every right to. He shouldn't be trusting anyone. But, Day didn't pull Shelli out of harms way when she could have and they were in alliance. Of course they don't trust her now. Seems pretty logical.

Her constant crying and stank attitude is already tired to me anyway. Just go away. Audrey will always be easy scapegoat because no one trusts her anymore.

I'm sure something will be made of the black and transgendered women in the house being targeted. But, they brought all the targeting on themselves. Playing too hard too fast will get you burned.

• Love 10

I feel like that is a lot of projection there. Da'Vonne doesn't seem like someone most people would to deal with. Whether that person be black, white or green. He could just not like her or trust and he has every right to. He shouldn't be trusting anyone. But, Day didn't pull Shelli out of harms way when she could have and they were in alliance. Of course they don't trust her now. Seems pretty logical.

Her constant crying and stank attitude is already tired to me anyway. Just go away. Audrey will always be easy scapegoat because no one trusts her anymore.

I'm sure something will be made of the black and transgendered women in the house being targeted. But, they brought all the targeting on themselves. Playing too hard too fast will get you burned.

I like da's spunk, and I like that she doesn't put up with any crap, I can see where people wouldn't like her but I do. Unpopular opinion of mine I guess.

I don't like Audrey she came on to strong and is really bad at lying.

I'd like to see vanessa win next hoh

• Love 3

Well, Audrey was pretty insufferable in her DRs tonight. You go on patting yourself on the back, Audrey, and gloat about how you played everyone right until they cut you loose early jury. Well played. I think she thinks she's a Will or Dan, when really she's just an Amanda.

She still takes a distant second place of people I want to punch in the face during their DRs. Stop it John, stop yelling at me! You're not funny! Inside voice! Stop!

I now cannot unsee Becky's face getting hit by a train. I mean, damn.

Da'Vonne is most likely going because she overplayed, Shelli doesn't trust her after Da'Vonne didn't use her save on Shelli, Clay doesn't like her, and Audrey is still a giant target who won't go after Shelli, so why take her out? I'll miss her, but think she only has herself to blame.

• Love 3
(edited)

I had forgotten how badly this show messes with my misophonia.  Last year it was all the people chewing and smacking with their mouths open that made me want to call 911 and beg to be life-flighted to a silent, padded room.  This year so far it has been Da'Vonne clapping in the middle of people talking, I guess to show that she's mad?  I never understood why people clap in the middle of arguments, but even beyond not understanding the purpose, the repetitive sound makes me  C R A Z Y, for real.

I had been trying to figure out what was going on with Becky's mouth from the moment they introduced her at home.  I thought maybe it was a subtle distortion caused by scars, or clusters of freckles creating an odd shadowing effect...not in a million years would I have guessed that she got hit in the face by a train.  To be fair, though, who would have guessed that?  Most people don't even know that's a thing that can happen to someone and then one day later on they can just sit around and casually tell people about it?  Girl looks GOOD for nearly getting her whole face taken off!  And she only needed 8 weeks off from work?  I would have milked that shit dry.  "Sorry, I know it's been 8  months, but you know, a train tore off half my face and I still don't feel quite ready to come to work.  You understand, right?"

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 13

Except for a soft spot for Steve, I don't particularly like or dislike anyone yet, so I think my perspective is basically objective.  I think that Clay and Shelli are making the best move for themselves and I can't fault them for that.  Da'Vonne's big target was Audrey, but once she was gone, who was next?  If Clay and Shelli thought that the answer to that question was Clay and Shelli, then why wouldn't they try to oust Da'Vonne now?  Audrey will remain to be a big target to take the attention off their duo, and she may not target them herself because she knows that they saved her this week.  Going after Da'Vonne seems like pretty good strategy on their part in the short term, and there is no way to know if it was a stupid move in the long term until the rest of the season plays out.

• Love 2

Well, Audrey was pretty insufferable in her DRs tonight.

"Insufferable"?  I was thinking more along the lines of "delusional".

I now cannot unsee Becky's face getting hit by a train. I mean, damn.

I had been trying to figure out what was going on with Becky's mouth from the moment they introduced her at home.  I thought maybe it was a subtle distortion caused by scars, or clusters of freckles creating an odd shadowing effect...not in a million years would I have guessed that she got hit in the face by a train.  To be fair, though, who would have guessed that?  Most people don't even know that's a thing that can happen to someone and then one day later on they can just sit around and casually tell people about it?  Girl looks GOOD for nearly getting her whole face taken off!  And she only needed 8 weeks off from work?  I would have milked that shit dry.  "Sorry, I know it's been 8  months, but you know, a train tore off half my face and I still don't feel quite ready to come to work.  You understand, right?"

Gotta give props to Becky on that.  My father worked trains for over three decades, which entailed human/train collisions WAY more frequently than one might think.  Amazing how many people go all Bill-Murray-in-Groundhog-Day and apparently think the train will swerve at the last minute to miss them (FYI - not an option for a vehicle on rails, folks). 

Out of several dozen occasions over 30+ years, I only recall my father twice mentioning the human in question even surviving the initial impact; one had both legs amputated mid-thigh and died a few hours later, the other was miraculously unscathed except for scratches (thrown clear of his semi which was completely destroyed).  The rest?  He generally described what was left of them as being able to fit in a couple of good-sized buckets.  So Becky surviving a collision with a train and recovering to such a degree as to merit Hilary Swank comparisons is pretty close to proof of divine intervention.

• Love 2

Audrey is a cancer.  The only reason to keep her is as a target others can hide behind. 

Clay is a jerk.  His first attempt at an apology to Day reminded me of Dan's apology to Sierra last season in Survivor.  A total joke.  But he's right that he can't trust Day.  She has been very clear that she can't stand him and wants Shelli and him out.  So the move to evict her is a good tactical decision.  They way Shelli and he are doing it, though, will create lots of dissension and enemies. 

Day herself has been a disappointment.  I was really pulling for her.  She seemed like she could go far.  But she's lost her cool now several times, gotten involved in unnecessary drama, that has alienated some of the other HGs.  I feel she has partly dug her own grave.  Hope she can climb out of it. 

If someone could point out to me how some of the house guests are racist, I would appreciate that, because that's not what I've seen on screen. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I was on Days side in this kerfuffle. She can go into whatever fucking room she wants. Like se said all the rooms are public (except) HOH: so I don't really get why Clay and Jeff were coming at her in the first place. First of all who the fuck cares when and why she did? Second she doesn't have to explain her motivations or actions to those Neanderthals. As far her getting an attitude or emotional or reading people in the house. I'm willing to give the woman a teeny bit of slack. It's a very isolating and stressful experience being in the house. And she might be a touch more emotional than some expect since she is a young mom and left her young baby.

I do sense a touch of racism when she's labeled a hot head or angry or unstable. When I watch reality tv like BB, the Real Housewives franchise, the episodes I've seen of The Bachelor. She's behaving not out of character or outlandish in comparison. That being said I think she's a bit turned up in the way she is trying to be witty or make good tv especially in her diary rooms. But most of the guys are reeking of "try hard" in that respect too.

Shelli has been compared to many famous people in the episode threads and live feed thread and each woman has been much more attractive. I think she's very plain and typical looking. Jeff looks like an aardvark and Joey Fatone had a love child .

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 4

Can't decide which is the cutest: Becky's mouse shoes or Steve's scruff. Seriously, maybe it's just me or the lack of competition in the house this year, but Steve looked really good last night. Can shipping Steve and Meg be a thing?

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm still finding this season pretty interesting and entertaining. I could get on board with either Da OR Audrey going home, so I'm not really pulling one way or the other. But what I do like is that we have 2 HOHs already going their own thing. Shellie agreed to the backdoor Audrey plan, but then she realized getting Da out might be better for HER game. She could be wrong, or maybe just listening to Clay too much, but I appreciate that people are trying to play, alliances are shifting, and not everything is lock-step, uniform. 

I do think if Da would simmer down her emotions she would be a better player. Audrey is just too all over the place. She just leaped into this game, guns blazing, wanting to make moves and lie and scheme just for the sake of it. I have no qualms about lying in the BB house, but lie for a good reason and don't be freaking stupid about it. Saying "word is you're running an all girls alliance" without naming who supposedly said it would have been infinitely smarter. Or, here's an idea, don't say anything to Vanessa at all! What was the point of that? She just continues to shoot herself in the foot. 

But she did calm herself down and is now pleading her case, sure makes for good TV. 

John cracks me up.. When Shellie and Clay were floating their plan by him, he looked like a scared 15-year-old with his wild eyes and green hoodie. I swear his voice even cracks on occasion in his DRs. Is this dude really old enough to be a dentist???? 

How sad that he didn't even need to TRY and throw BOtB! I'm glad Steve pulled himself off, though. 

Becky is cute and I liked the way she could laugh about her train incident. 

Edited by ghoulina
(edited)

I was on Days side in this kerfuffle. Se can go into whatever fucking room she wants. Like se said all the rooms are public (except) HOH: so I don't really get why Clay and Jeff were coming at her in the first place. First of all who the fuck cares when and why she did? Second she doesn't have to explain her motivations or actions to those Neanderthals.

Day was on a mission to count things, thinking it may be in the challenge (way too soon for that).  So she was on a "secret" mission, and that showed in her manner.  Had she stopped and said hello to those she passed and casually say she was visiting all the rooms, nothing would have come of that.  Ya goitta be able to finesses situations in this game.  This illustrates her playing too hard, too soon and not well.   Then, when questioned,  she became aggressive.  She missed a second opportunity to create a smooth connection with her fellow HGs.  She put herself on the block.  

I feel bad that her plan to backdoor Audrey is falling through. However, she know that it was only a matter of time before Audrey fell back into good graces.

This was never Shelli's plan, it was Becky's.  She just went along with Becky so as not to expose her real target.  

I do sense a touch of racism when she's labeled a hot head or angry or unstable. When I watch reality tv like BB, the Real Housewives franchise, the episodes I've seen of The Bachelor. She's behaving not out of character or outlandish in comparison.

People are not voted off, by their peers, on those shows.  And a cash prize is not involved either. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 8
That competition was just....bad. From what the editing showed, it seemed like they only got two out of nine shots right before Jason/Steve won. That's...that's pretty bad, and I don't blame John for just doing nothing and letting her drag him around.

I don't know how much better it would have gone even if John hadn't been trying to throw it. She seems like the type who thinks she's got it all figured out and isn't going to listen to anyone else. 

Clay is basically running Shelli's HoH and he is still stuck on that one room incident. Also, I think the main reason SHelli lost trust in Da'vonne is because she didn't get the safety last week.

Honestly, I think Clay is still stuck on that incident because Da is. Was it wrong of him to question what she was doing? I suppose? Although, everyone is paranoid in the BB house and wondering what people are doing when they go off on their own. I think that whole thing could have gone much differently if she had handled it better. She reacted in such a paranoid way because she was counting for a potential game down the road and didn't want other people to have the same advantage. She should have had a cover story all ready - "I was looking for my ___" instead of completely flipping her shit. I just think her reaction was way out of proportion with Clay's actions and it's quite clear, to me, that she is not going to get over it. 

So with that, coupled with Da not giving safety to a member of her so-called alliance, I can see why Clay and Shelli want to target her. 

• Love 2

This was never Shelli's plan, it was Becky's.  She just went along with Becky so as not to expose her real target.  

I think it may have been Shelli's plan until Clay told her it wasn't.

• Love 8
(edited)

Da played that terribly. She picked a fight with them and didn't try to finesse a cover for what she did. She could have just walked in there and said, "I heard what you guys are saying about me sneaking around. You are right. I think the next comp is a counting comp and I'm counting stuff in the house. You guys do it too and Let's keep it between us so one of us wins." And instead of an enemy, she's building the illusion of an alliance, even if she hates them. If she'd done that, they probably wouldn't be going after her now.

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 8
(edited)
If someone could point out to me how some of the house guests are racist, I would appreciate that, because that's not what I've seen on screen.

I don't think Clay/Shelli/Jeff are consciously racist, but I did think the whole "What is she doing in our room? Jeff, go find out!" reaction that they had might not have happened if Da'Vonne wasn't black.  (And Jeff did actually say "our room", which is what got my bigot-dar up.) Similarly, does Becky's impression of Steve "lingering" in rooms spring from his being the nerdy type she might normally have ignored?  I have to wonder if it isn't the behavior that leads to the exclusion, or rather some HGs' predisposition to believe the worst of certain others.

If I were John, I wouldn't have thrown the competition, not so much because he's in danger now, but because getting a rep for throwing comps is a good way for people not to trust you and want to eliminate you before you can sabotage their game that way.  (See Pao-Pao, last season.)  But Da' was so awful in the comp I suppose it behooved him to just let himself be dragged and let her take the blame.  ("I was trying to win, but she just wouldn't listen…")  And I'm not put off by his DR voice because I don't think it's about him wanting to tell us what a genius he is (like Dan or Hayden…and hey, they did both win…) or feeling his emotions/perspective are Just.So.Important. (Sharon Overshouter, Chef Joe)  I think he's just weird.  Still on the John train.

Speaking of trains, I think I read somewhere that Becky actually got hit by a tram/trolley, not a full-out locomotive.  But still, it's not anything I'd want to (pardon the pun, it's inescapable) face off with, so good on her for surviving.  Be interesting to see how she reacts to Shelli's planned double-cross.

And was the "girls' alliance" of Vanessa/Becky/Liz/Jackie ever a thing, or did Audrey pull that one straight out of her butt?  Because it actually sounds like a good idea; the girls who aren't in that organized-but-now-imploding Week 1 alliance getting together, and maybe picking up Austin or Steve as additional help.  Thanks, Audrey!

Edited by DAngelus
  • Love 2

If I were John, I wouldn't have thrown the competition, not so much because he's in danger now, but because getting a rep for throwing comps is a good way for people not to trust you and want to eliminate you before you can sabotage their game that way.  (See Pao-Pao, last season.)  But Da' was so awful in the comp I suppose it behooved him to just let himself be dragged and let her take the blame.

My understanding is that he DIDN'T throw the competition.  She was SO bad, there was nothing he could do to even come close to winning it. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that Becky's accident involved a tram/trolley while she was living in Germany. I think saying a train hit her face might have been embroidering on her part. Hey, at least she didn't have to pay a penny for her medical bills since it was in Germany!

As much as I think Da has dug her own grave in terms of the game I am sympathetic to her regarding the bedroom incident. I agree that it wasn't really cool for her to just wander into others' bedrooms without having an excuse of some kind. However I'm pretty sure this incident triggered something in Da, possibly harking back to a racial situation from when she was a kid, maybe someone stopped her from going somewhere that she "didn't belong." I think it may not have even hit her on a conscious level. If it had she might have expressed "how it made her feel" in the DR.

Edited by TimWil

I was on Days side in this kerfuffle. She can go into whatever fucking room she wants. Like se said all the rooms are public (except) HOH: so I don't really get why Clay and Jeff were coming at her in the first place. 

Clay and Jeff weren't "coming at her." Jeff said "What's she doing? See what she's doing." Then Clay asked what she was doing. And she flipped out and got defensive and said "Whoever wants to know can ask me himself." Then she went on a tear and ranted and raved like a lunatic. Then she cried in the DR because someone dared to question her.

The woman is a drama queen. Which is exactly why she was cast.

I also think it was a mistake, long-term, to pull everyone into the same room and demand they tell Vanessa what Audrey said to them. Sure, it exposes Audrey's lies, but it also makes everyone uncomfortable with Da'Vonne. Nobody likes to be backed into a corner like that and put on the spot. Jason was willing to go for it but everyone else looked like they'd rather be anywhere else but there.

That said, Audrey isn't right in the head. I don't understand what the hell she was thinking, first trying to make Vanessa a target by telling a bunch of people she was running some all-girls alliance, and then turning right around and telling Vanessa that people thought she was running an all-girls alliance. WTF? 

And I'm sure Andy is going to have an oversized ego again because of tonight.

Also is it me or does John sound a bit like Dan Gheesling?

So that is Andy from a few seasons back? Ugh. He is so repulsive. And enough with this fake Ginger movie already.

Yes, John uses the same "outside" voice in the DR that Dan always did. There's always someone who does. I'm kind of warming up to him though. I'm not sure he has much game in him but he's kind of adorkable.

• Love 4
(edited)

Can't decide which is the cutest: Becky's mouse shoes or Steve's scruff. Seriously, maybe it's just me or the lack of competition in the house this year, but Steve looked really good last night. Can shipping Steve and Meg be a thing?

I'm not big on the whole shipping thing, but I've actually gotten fond of Meg - and if she must have a boyfriend(?) in the House, Steve would be my first pick for her. Steve, John and (I think) Austin appear to be the only guys in the House who have demonstrated much in the way of respect for women.

John cracks me up.. When Shellie and Clay were floating their plan by him, he looked like a scared 15-year-old with his wild eyes and green hoodie. I swear his voice even cracks on occasion in his DRs. Is this dude really old enough to be a dentist????

Dang, ya beat me to it. Every time John speaks in anything beyond one- or two-word sentences, I'm suspecting speech impediment - and when he's in the DR, all I can hear is "Brady Bunch Movie" Peter Brady before he got kissed by a real live girl.

Day was on a mission to count things, thinking it may be in the challenge (way too soon for that). So she was on a "secret" mission, and that showed in her manner. Had she stopped and said hello to those she passed and casually say she was visiting all the rooms, nothing would have come of that. Ya goitta be able to finesses situations in this game. This illustrates her playing too hard, too soon and not well. Then, when questioned, she became aggressive. She missed a second opportunity to create a smooth connection with her fellow HGs. She put herself on the block.

I don't think Clay/Shelli/Jeff are consciously racist, but I did think the whole "What is she doing in our room? Jeff, go find out!" reaction that they had might not have happened if Da'Vonne wasn't black. (And Jeff did actually say "our room", which is what got my bigot-dar up.)

YMMV, but I didn't get a bit of race-read off that incident. I heard the "our room" as well, but my immediate perception was Jeff's "our"was referring to himself and the other HGs who slept there - a set of which Da wasn't a member. The bedroom in question was a dead-end room, not a pass-through room, so no reason to enter unless that is your intended destination.

Given last season's record-setting hijinks regarding HGs screwing with other HG's personal items: if someone is going into the room I sleep in, but they don't, where I keep my stuff, and no one else is in there to see what's going on - I'd be more than a little paranoid as well. And race wouldn't have a thing to do with it.

And was the "girls' alliance" of Vanessa/Becky/Liz/Jackie ever a thing, or did Audrey pull that one straight out of her butt? Because it actually sounds like a good idea; the girls who aren't in that organized-but-now-imploding Week 1 alliance getting together, and maybe picking up Austin or Steve as additional help. Thanks, Audrey!

The only "all-girl alliance" I recall was the Day One Audrey/Da'Vonne/Shelli alliance - which, IIRC, was initially proposed by Audrey. Maybe just Audrey's way of busting up another potential AGA before it had the chance to get started...?

ETA: fixed editor F-ups

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 3

I don't think Clay/Shelli/Jeff are consciously racist, but I did think the whole "What is she doing in our room? Jeff, go find out!" reaction that they had might not have happened if Da'Vonne wasn't black.  (And Jeff did actually say "our room", which is what got my bigot-dar up.) Similarly, does Becky's impression of Steve "lingering" in rooms spring from his being the nerdy type she might normally have ignored?  I have to wonder if it isn't the behavior that leads to the exclusion, or rather some HGs' predisposition to believe the worst of certain others.

It seems to me your second point contradicts your first.  i.e. Clay jumped on Day because she is black... but Becky had a similar reaction to Steve, who is not black, when he was doing pretty much the same thing.   

Let me propose another interpretation.  Day and Clay didn't like each other from the start.  The second they brought Clay into their alliance, Day assured us this would be very short-term.  And as soon as she saw Shelli and Clay getting chummy, that was it.  Her all-girl alliance was history and she wanted them gone.  At the same time, Shelli was pissed because Day didn't choose Audrey or her: Shelli wanted Day gone as well, something Clay, who didn't like Day, was all for. 

So plenty of mistrust was already circulating.  Takes very little in that situation for problems to ignite.  We see this happen over and over in BB.  What should be trivial incidents blow up into major divisions. 

Maybe because his apology was uunnecessary

Well, he thought it was necessary.  He told us he would swallow his pride and make amends with Day.  Instead he opened with both barrels firing, and went downhill from there. 

I see this as a shortcoming on the part of both players.  They could have handled the whole thing simply.  Instead, both got worked up and chose to fight.  Looks like this might cost Day her place in the house; and I bet Clay follows her shortly.  

Clay was kind of pompous from the start.  I could care less if he goes.  But Day I had higher hopes for.  Disappointing. 

• Love 3

Thank you. You said it better than I could. My bigot-dar (great word!) goes up when I try and imagine, say...Meg doing the exact same thing, and wonder if the boys would've been quite so "Halt! Who goes there?" Would Shelli have been quite so affronted if (again) Meg didn't offer her or Audrey safety? Would they jump so quickly to "get her out before she gets us?"

I judge contestants when their reasons for wanting one person out seem curiously aligned with broad, societal stereotypes ascribed to one particular person's behavior. On slim evidence, they've decided Da'vonne is suspicious and untrustworthy. So, I believe they're a little bit racist for doing so.

Looks like this might cost Day her place in the house; and I bet Clay follows her shortly.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the latter happens, but I doubt it. I suppose I'm particularly annoyed that it looks like yet another WGA (White Guy Alliance) may run the house while the women target and destroy each other. Big Brother has basically become American Idol at this point. I hope I'm wrong!

• Love 1

Another poster said that he looks like Peeta Mellark, and I can't unsee that.

So I agree Da' has caused herself to be isolated by some of the houseguests. Maybe she's negative but it's refreshing to see someone who isn't willing to sweep bullshit under the rug to get further. It will likely cost her the game though. Just like last week when Steve told them absolutely not, I don't want to be no damn pawn. Everyone is so scared of being perceived as difficult, or going against the grain, they go around tippy-toeing around everyone.

Even though I know mama Da's time in this house is short lived, I always find it annoying when the popular group gangs up on the the stragglers and outcasts. I hope she can rally just this one week and then she can go home at the hand of someone less annoying like James or Steve or John. Anyway, just my thought.

• Love 3
Another poster said that he looks like Peeta Mellark, and I can't unsee that.

LOL, that poster was me! I called him a "Very Hungry Peeta Mellark", because he's not quite as filled out as Josh Hutcherson. Looks like he's been in the games too long. ;)

Let me propose another interpretation.  Day and Clay didn't like each other from the start.  The second they brought Clay into their alliance, Day assured us this would be very short-term.  And as soon as she saw Shelli and Clay getting chummy, that was it.  Her all-girl alliance was history and she wanted them gone.  At the same time, Shelli was pissed because Day didn't choose Audrey or her: Shelli wanted Day gone as well, something Clay, who didn't like Day, was all for.

I agree. The second Shellie and Clay started getting chummy, Da was on alert with him. Then she ended up not giving Shellie safety, and Shellie begins distrusting her. I think there was quite a bit in the works under the surface before the room incident. 

(edited)

Well, if I'm going to start pulling for a random showmance to materialize, I'm going for Steve/Liz.  First because she (unlike Meg) isn't aligned with the people (James/Jason/Da'Vonne) who put him up last week, over his "I'm not well-liked enough to be a pawn" objections.  Second because Liz was nice and complimentary to him after he won the Veto.  And third because they're already sharing a bed. (As Shelli would say, "with the winky-face.") 

It seems to me your second point contradicts your first.  i.e. Clay jumped on Day because she is black... but Becky had a similar reaction to Steve, who is not black, when he was doing pretty much the same thing.   

I don't actually think my points contradict each other, although if you think they do, then I may not have expressed them as well as I could.  IMO:

1)  Clay/Shelli/Jeff were a bit more territorial about "our room" when Da'Vonne went in there than if, say, (as Eolivet notes) Meg had gone in.  Because Da' is black and Meg is white and Clay/Shelli/Jeff might (hypothetically) be less accepting of black people in "their" private space.

2)  Becky is put off by Steve "lingering" in conversations where she might not be if, say, Clay was "lingering".  Because Steve is awkward and Clay is "hot" and Becky might (hypothetically) be more tolerant of the Clays of the world hanging around her very nice boobs than the Steves.

So that's why I thought the situations might be analogous; in both cases, the HG's (hypothetically) pre-existing antipathy for a type of person (in Clay/Shelli/Jeff's case, blacks; in Becky's case, awkward [Jewish?] geeks) might lead them to be more put off by behavior (entering a room, "lingering" in a conversation) they would never give two thoughts about if the person in question were, instead, someone the HG perceived to be "their" kind.  Hypothetical and JMO, but I could see this sort of "confirmation bias" in various social dynamics, and I was trying to show how the C/S/Jeff possible "ew, black person near our stuff!" twitch might be somewhat like Becky's possible "could you leave already, loser?" twitch about Steve.

BTW, I think the show is doing a good job of showing that the ogler Becky should worry about is not Steve, but James.  From his being distracted by her assets when asking her to go on the block in ep 3 (backed up by an "eyes up, dude!" DR from Jason) to his perking up in this episode when Becky talked about sharing the bathtub with Shelli in their bikinis, ol' James does seem a wee bit thirsty.  And then there's his constant "Meg's like Taylor Swift!" comparisons, where I don't actually think he's talking about Meg's singing voice.  (Given that you're not allowed to sing in the house, due to copyright issues.)

I did like how the show went back and showed a good 5.00 of flashbacks to last week to show the whole Audrey/Da'Vonne (half the-) house meeting situation.  Sometimes significant events just get skipped over if they don't fit the pre-established "storylines"; glad to see this wasn't.

Simply from a strategic p.o.v., I question Clay/Shelli/Jeff's decision to essentially "eat one of their own" by targeting Da'Vonne when there does exist a whole "other side of the house" that has enough votes for Shelli to be (IMO rightly) adamant about not putting Clay up as a pawn.  Austin/Liz/John/Steve/Becky/Vanessa may not be as organized as the Week 1 group that targeted Jace, but if Audrey is now a pariah, and you vote out Da'Vonne, and by doing this you antagonize Jason (and possibly James), it seems like you're crippling your numbers because of your obsession with Da'.  Which I suppose could be more grist for the "are they racist?" mill, but I'm hesitant to go there, as yet.  JMO.

Edited by DAngelus
  • Love 2
(edited)

1)  Clay/Shelli/Jeff were a bit more territorial about "our room" when Da'Vonne went in there than if, say, (as Eolivet notes) Meg had gone in.  Because Da' is black and Meg is white and Clay/Shelli/Jeff might (hypothetically) be less accepting of black people in "their" private space.

That all seems wildly speculative to me and not backed up by any evidence. I think it equally likely that anyone who had gone into that room would have been asked the same question. It has already been noted that's a "dead-end" room, not one you'd naturally pass through going somewhere else. And this is Big Brother, which has all kinds of Twists like the Saboteur. I'd be asking "Hey watcha doin' in there?" too. No matter who it was.

More to the point is the aggressively defensive way Da'Vonne handled being asked that question, making her behavior all the more suspicious. Not the fact that she was asked at all, which she seemed to find offense in, in and of itself.

I suppose I'm particularly annoyed that it looks like yet another WGA (White Guy Alliance) may run the house while the women target and destroy each other. Big Brother has basically become American Idol at this point. I hope I'm wrong!

The reason we keep seeing the same scenario played out over and over again is because the show keeps casting the same types every year. If they cast more Da'Vonnes and fewer Shellis and omitted the Jeffs and Clays of the world, we'd have a different game for a change.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2

Dear Houseguests,

It's only a "house meeting" if it includes the entire house. That was nine people in the Have Not room. That wasn't the house. If you're gonna tell me that you're holding a house meeting, I expect some Devin level stuff, late night in the living room while you cry about your daughter and your integrity. I loved seeing Da'Vonne pop off on Audrey and Jason joining in, but that was not a house meeting. Better luck next time!

• Love 3

DAngulus, Eolivet is assuming Clay et. al. would act differently towards Meg.  But even if so, they had and have different relationships with those two.  Clay/Shelli and Day were already antagonistic towards each other, out for blood.  Meg on the other hand is everyone's friend. 

Clay and Day were both suspicious of each other.  Both were eager to see the other gone, and both are aggressive players.  It's not surprising sparks might fly between them.  But again I see that as flaws in both their games.  If you let other people manipulate you that easily, I don't think you will go far in BB. 

celi cat, yes, Audrey urged Clay to apologize.  But he decided to do so, and agreed he needed to be repentant.  He told us that.  Instead he came in full-attack mode.  I just can't believe this guy will go very deep.  He has about zero finesse. 

• Love 1

I think you might be reading a liiiiiiitle too much into it.  Why does accusing someone of being "sneaky" (which was lame in and of itself) automatically equal racism?  Because she's black?  We've SEEN racism in the BB house and it was ugly.  But just because some shit gets started between a white guy and a black woman doesn't mean race is at issue.  "Sneaky" is not an adjective reserved for people of color.  I mean, is Audrey ALSO racist because she tried to pin her ridiculous shit stirring on Day?  

• Love 5

I had forgotten how badly this show messes with my misophonia.  Last year it was all the people chewing and smacking with their mouths open that made me want to call 911 and beg to be life-flighted to a silent, padded room.  This year so far it has been Da'Vonne clapping in the middle of people talking, I guess to show that she's mad?  I never understood why people clap in the middle of arguments, but even beyond not understanding the purpose, the repetitive sound makes me  C R A Z Y, for real.

Yes!!!  I am with you, my fellow misophonia sufferer! I am also peeved by Da'Vonne's clapping. And I need the housemates to stop twirling whatever that string is....even though it doesn't really make a sound, that twirling and spinning is doing my head in! I want to reach through the screen and smack their hands. 

Oh, and what is with John's DR voice?!  Good Lord.  

• Love 2

I think I figured out how to tell which twin is which.  It seems that Liz prefers to part her hair on the side, but Julia's hair is parted closer to the middle.

I think one has skinnier arms than the other, but I didn't pay attention to which. It's nice to see them get a normal amount of air time now that we've been told they're the twins; the episodes were edited to keep them mostly off screen prior to that to keep viewers from figuring it out too soon.