Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Ching Chong Chang

• Start Topic

Aww, Chang.

This is what the show does so well, to me - take a character who you think is there for comedic reasons, and give them a backstory that makes you understand them. (Re: Crazy Eyes)

I'd like to see more of Chang's rise, myself.

And I don't know why, but I kind of want to try a Fritos and pea microwave patty. They...didn't look awful?

• Love 11

Yael Stone is really hitting it out of the park this season. She looks lost and no one (hello, Red) is really looking out for her. my heart is breaking for Morello. 

Chang... wow. WOW. 

Mya - i know right? I was like. what are you do... oh hey that wouldn't be that bad lol

• Love 2

I liked Chang's story to a point; but doing evil to someone who hurt you doesn't make you any better. I think the very sad backstories are leaving out the parts where lots of women have the same things happen to them and don't turn to a life of crime.

Happy to see Red back in the kitchen. Don't the correctional officers have any kind of union (most law enforcement officers do). I find it hard to believe their jobs could just be cut like that so they don't get benefits. Not to mention hiring people with no training to be guards; sound dangerous. My husband was a corrections officer working at a jail before becoming a regular police officer; and he received extensive training. I feel sorry for these women that donut shop employees can just waltz in. 

• Love 2

Yes! I was so hoping for Chang backstory ever since season 2. She is so my spirit animal, because I too would smuggle in a phone just to watch my Korean drama and Tdrama.

But this makes me wonder though, if Chang was a leader of crime wouldn't she know of Red and came across her outside of Prison? Since Red was working for the Russian Mob. Has Chang and Red ever been in same shot before? I feel since we kinda know both their backstory they have allot common and should be friends.

• Love 1

No wonder Miss Claudette had so much respect for her, Chang is hardcore. I half expected it to be her asshole brother who was brought back and beaten to a pulp, he's the one who basically threw her to the wolves. 

• Love 7

I had to stop this episode after the first scene because I was laughing so hard at O'Neill's red velvet rant. FINALLY, someone expresses how I've felt all along! And also, O'Neill and Bell are my favorite couple on this show.

Speaking of the guards, how exactly is it a good thing to completely destroy the morale of an entire set of prison guards, and leave them festering with resentment? Talk about being short sighted!

How old is Chang supposed to be? I thought she was late-teens/early 20s in her flashbacks, but since they were set about 30 years ago (the moonwalk became big starting in 1983), that would make her early 50s now, and to me she looks much older than that. Confusing. But I liked her back story anyway, and agree that she's learned to use her invisibility to her advantage. I just wish I knew exactly what she's in prison for.

I like the switch up of prison jobs. Pennsatucky is hilarious as the Litchfield welcome wagon, the Whispers sweat shop has some possibilities, and I'm intrigued to see Red back in the kitchen, playing second fiddle to Gloria. And I love Morello's new scheme. It plays right into her strengths of romance and delusion, and I hope it continues.

• Love 8

Loved Chang's backstory. So many people in the prison dismiss or ignore her and it's been happening her whole life. Simply because she wasn't considered pretty or valuable. 

Morello and Poussey need to get together. They're loneliness was palpable. They need to connect with someone and feel loved amid such a depressing environment. 

Finally Ruby Rose! I've been waiting for her. 

Black Cindy brought the laughs this episode. From her standards of beauty quiz to white girls just have to be skinny to discovering the joys of kosher food.  

• Love 5

Wow, Chang's backstory was very interesting. Loved to know more about her daily routine at the prison, although I'm sorry she's so lonely.

Poussey's so cute, smart, loyal and awesome in every sense of the word that I can't believe she can't find a girlfriend.

I like the new girl, but she seems to be attracted to Piper and the last thing this show needs is a love triangle. 

• Love 8
(edited)

This was my favorite episode of the season so far. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Chang would be featured in the flashbacks. She has been such a throwaway character so far I wasn't expecting her to get any focus, but then the backstory cleverly played into that assumption. I found her ninja food squirreling quite poignant--a way to capitalize on her invisibility to eek out some small comforts in her miserable, lonely life. 

.No wonder Miss Claudette had so much respect for her, Chang is hardcore.

Oh, I had forgotten about that. Like recognizes like.

Come to think of it, I had an instinctual respect for her too. After Alex and Piper were making fun of her for brushing her teeth with salt, I paused the video to google the advantages of brushing with salt. I sensed that if she was doing it, there was probably some good reason.

I'm guessing that, as with Miss Claudette, the murder flashback had little to do with the crime she was eventually arrested for, presumably something related to smuggling illegal goods.

I liked Morello's story line as well, and the way the loneliness theme tied several plots together was cool. But Poussey as a borderline alcoholic seemed to come out of nowhere. Have we ever even seen her drunk this season?

I loved Red's speech to Healy, and the last scene where she returned to the kitchen was awesome. She was my favorite character in Season 1, and now she's back, baby! The fact that her big comeback was accompanied by my absolute #1 favorite song from the 90s was the icing on a big delicious red velvet cake. ;)

Edited by Sesquipedalia
  • Love 4

How old is Chang supposed to be? I thought she was late-teens/early 20s in her flashbacks, but since they were set about 30 years ago (the moonwalk became big starting in 1983), that would make her early 50s now, and to me she looks much older than that. Confusing. But I liked her back story anyway, and agree that she's learned to use her invisibility to her advantage. I just wish I knew exactly what she's in prison for.

I like the switch up of prison jobs. Pennsatucky is hilarious as the Litchfield welcome wagon, the Whispers sweat shop has some possibilities, and I'm intrigued to see Red back in the kitchen, playing second fiddle to Gloria. And I love Morello's new scheme. It plays right into her strengths of romance and delusion, and I hope it continues.

I could see Chang being in her early 50s. Prison can definitely age a person, especially since we don't really know how long she has been there. I also love the switches in jobs. It added something new to the formula, which is good for an aging show.

Poussey and Morello are both breaking my heart. I don't know that I could necessarily see the two of them together, but I think they would at least be good friends to each other. 

I LOVE that Red is back in the kitchen. I can't wait to see her and Gloria butting heads.

Speaking of Gloria, I love her reaching out to Sophia about getting her son to come and see her more often.

I loved Chang's backstory. I always love the episodes where we get to see the backstories of the more tertiary characters.

• Love 5
(edited)

Loved how long chang had been watching her show based on the amount of orange peels there.  Was this the episode with my most favorite line, "Winnie the Pooh:  Tales from the Ghetto" in it?  If not, I apologize.  I'm just up to this episode and couldn't remember if it was this one or five.

Edited by kelslamu
(edited)

This episode was soo good. Loved Chang's backstory. And I felt very sorry for her, it's a kinda sad story.

LOVED that Piper asked her sorry in the toilet scene. so we know Piper's not okay with her look, didn't had a clue. 

Ruby Rose....I'm watching you. (her voice tho.)

Morello is out of her mind :(

and YES! Red is back :D!

Edited by baky

I think the very sad backstories are leaving out the parts where lots of women have the same things happen to them and don't turn to a life of crime.

I'm confused by this-if they had bad things happen to them and didn't turn to a life of crime, they wouldn't be in prison or be a character on the show.

The less of Lori Petty the better IMHO. That ending put a smile on my face-Kate Mulgrew is such a good actress. And Danielle Brooks with Samira Wiley is always good. I know that they are good friends IRL and it comes through.

• Love 4

Ha, I had the same reaction to Chang's Fritos and peas concoction. At first I was like ugh, what the hell is she doing? But by the time she sat down outside with her little meal, I found myself wondering how she came up with that recipe but also thinking yeah, I would eat that.

I love that she uses her invisibility to her advantage so that she can have some comfort. I mean, this is someone who somehow smuggled in a smart phone and stashed a bag of oranges just so she can watch her tv shows. I know that technically she is breaking the rules, but she isn't hurting anyone with what she's doing or trying to making a profit by selling her contraband. She is keeping to herself, making her time in prison bearable, and dealing with the loneliness. When she looked around and saw the other groups of friends hanging out, I thought man, poor Chang.

I felt so bad for her in the flashbacks. Her only worth to her brother was how much money he could get for marrying her off. Her only crime was not being pretty enough (well, at least in the beginning - I can't wait to find out what she was actually convicted of). And that guy who not only rejected her but talked shit about her like she wasn't even there. I don't know if that was gallbladder removal worthy, but I understand why she focused her ire on him (although I, too, was afraid that her favor would involve having that other guy beat the shit out of her brother for being such a dick to her).

• Love 4

I like that the Whispers setup gets a chance to bring otherwise unconnected characters together - Piper, Black Cindy, Flaca, the older woman who cut off her husband's johnson, Janae, etc.

I know Ruby Rose's character is probably there to drive a wedge between Piper and Alex (yawn), but dear lord, she is stunning. And then she opened her mouth and an Australian accent came out? I needed a cold shower.

• Love 5

Chang's improvised dumplings were the bomb. Crushed fritos instead of cornmeal, sweet peas as a substitute of mung or red sweet beans.

Chang is a genius. No wonder she has my dream job in Litchfield. Working the commissary is probably the cushiest job in the joint, which gives you access to a lot of perks. :) Little surprise Chang ended up there.

• Love 2

The new girl is stunning and with that Australian accent, I'm surprised she doesn't have a line of women trying to get with her. 

I loved getting Chang's backstory. She's hardcore when she gets mad. I also like how she's using her invisibility to her advantage to make pea and frito dumplings and watch soap operas and eat oranges. I also liked that So So was trying to bond with her being the only other Asian in prison and Chang called her Scottish. Being a Hapa (half Japanese/Half white) I feel for So So,  Asians consider us white and whites consider us Asian. 

Red got what she wanted from Healy, it probably won't be long before she rules the kitchen again. Gloria seems to be on her last legs with that place and is more worried about her son. I feel for her, she's in prison and can't be there for him so she has to do what she can.

• Love 3

When I heard the opening chords to "Rebel Girl", I squeed.  Welcome back, Red.  I really loved Chang's story.  Her invisibility served her well once again. Korean Soap Operas and Oranges, fantastic.  I loved Suzanne's appreciation for her story in drama classs.  

• Love 1

I like that the Whispers setup gets a chance to bring otherwise unconnected characters together - Piper, Black Cindy, Flaca, the older woman who cut off her husband's johnson, Janae, etc.

I know Ruby Rose's character is probably there to drive a wedge between Piper and Alex (yawn), but dear lord, she is stunning. And then she opened her mouth and an Australian accent came out? I needed a cold shower.

The problem was, it made it seem disingenuous when she was calling out Piper for having won the looks lottery.

• Love 8

Chang is awesome but I think cutting out a guy's gallbladder just because he (very rudely) rejected her was far beyond what he deserved.  She, like most of the women in Litchfield, probably deserves to be in jail.  I really felt for Chang's and Brooke's loneliness.   Poussey's alcoholism does seem to be coming out of nowhere.  She had that one drunk episode when she confronted Vee but she was losing everyone around her and being ostracized from her prison family.  Why's she drinking now?  And Ruby Rose is gorgeous so I don't get why she had to call Piper a "Betty".  That was a little mean.

• Love 2

Stella is absolutely stunning, but not pretty in the traditional sense. Piper is blonde and blue-eyed and thin, which (as someone else in the Whispers room pointed out) is usually enough for a white girl. Being androgynous and tattooed wasn't as likely to open doors for Stella. But yeah, she doesn't really have a leg to stand on when calling someone else out for being pretty. I really hope they give her something else to do, besides being a third leg on a love triangle.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not pretty in the traditional sense?  I strongly disagree.  

I don't find her the least bit androgynous; I find her looks extremely traditionally feminine.  She has a supermodel quality -- pouty lips, cheekbones that jut out, and feline eyes.  The only thing that's somewhat androgynous is her haircut.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 13

Not pretty in the traditional sense? I strongly disagree.

I don't find her the least bit androgynous; I find her looks extremely traditionally feminine. She has a supermodel quality -- pouty lips, cheekbones that jut out, and feline eyes. The only thing that's somewhat androgynous is her haircut.

Yes, I think her face is very feminine, even more so than Piper's. The haircut and attitude give her an "edgy" vibe.

• Love 6

Stella > Piper for me any day. Though their little tet a tet was a little silly for me. 

I'm not surprised Chang has all these little secrets. I thought that it's an interesting point she's smuggling in oranges and a phone while Poussey is making hooch. Both need to get through the day but do different things. 

I am guessing Chang took over the crime ring and got caught. She didn't seem to have a problem with getting involved. 

I also think she was good looking too. I mean, calling her ugly is a little much.

Would the guards still be in a union if the prison is private now? I don't know, the guards can be as mad at Caputo as they want, and it doesn't look good, since he's still full time, but they were totally out of a job if he didn't do anything at all. They're allowed to put themselves on the job market. Caputo isn't obligated to take care of them. 

Chang wasn't bad-looking to me; she just had skin issues.

Yeah. Young Chang needed to see a dermatologist for that eczema but I don't think she was ugly by any means.

• Love 3

Loved getting a glimpse of a day in the life of Chang and all her little prison hacks. But man it bugs me how that smart phone was not plugged in. It looked like the same phone I have and if I forget it's in my purse for 8-10 hours, that battery is dead.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode, but the appearance of Lori Petty bugged the hell out of me. Wasn't she in a previous season? Why or how is it that she is now new to Litchfield? Also, wasn't she friends with Piper too? I don't recall the exact episode or season, but can anyone shed light on this?

I had to stop this episode after the first scene because I was laughing so hard at O'Neill's red velvet rant. FINALLY, someone expresses how I've felt all along! And also, O'Neill and Bell are my favorite couple on this show.

I know, right? I've been calling bullshit on red velvet for years. But the part where O'Neill proclaims that cream cheese icing should stay on carrot cake as God intended...that sealed the hilarity for me. I had to replay that scene like 3 times. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode, but the appearance of Lori Petty bugged the hell out of me. Wasn't she in a previous season? Why or how is it that she is now new to Litchfield? Also, wasn't she friends with Piper too? I don't recall the exact episode or season, but can anyone shed light on this?

IIRC, she appeared in the first ep of S2, when Piper was transferred to a prison in Chicago(?) so she could testify. 

Piper met her either on the transport plane or in the Chicago prison. 

In S3 we see LP's character on her first day at Litchfield, presumably she was transferred there - maybe she was being moved to a less secure prison as she served out her sentence or something like that. 

I think it's funny that everyone loves Ruby Rose's accent. Watching it I was thinking "Is she Australian? Oh right, it's Ruby Rose, I remember she was going to be in this" and then I was thinking "ugh, it's so grating... is this how I sound to other people?" I never really consider my accent to be an accent until I hear Australians in non Australian shows and wonder if they're putting on the accent just a little bit extra.

I also loved seeing the backstory of Chang, I like that she had her own little set up going and no one suspected anything.