Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On ‎02‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, funky-rat said:

It's not for me, and a lot of people of my generation, but my mom is 70, and she's uber-embarrassed about a lot of things, like needing hearing aids.  I sometimes wonder if it's because the generation before them didn't live as long, and this is new territory for them, but we've kind-of grown up with the idea of it.

I have to buy pads for overactive bladder issues, and I do find it somewhat embarrassing; the fact that I'm nowhere near 70 makes it more so.  But not nearly as embarrassing as not having the pads.

On ‎02‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm so unembarrassed by buying incontinence supplies, I've told friends when they're on sale at Walgreen's. Whoo Hoooo. An old woman's dream come true!!  If the alternative is taking stupid drugs with a gazillion side effects they'll end up prescribing more drugs/more side effects for, I'll wear the pads stuck into my undies, thank you.

I'd much rather take the drugs.  (You'll pry my Myrbetriq out of my cold, dead hands, thank you very much.)  However, they do stop being effective after awhile and need the dosages changed, so I don't take any chances in the meantime.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I have to buy pads for overactive bladder issues, and I do find it somewhat embarrassing; the fact that I'm nowhere near 70 makes it more so.  But not nearly as embarrassing as not having the pads.

Thank you for that.  My late MIL REFUSED to buy OAB products.  She just flat-out refused (she was 55 when she passed - she was also diabetic, which doesn't help with urgent bathroom issues).  She had a hysterectomy after my BIL was born - she had bleeding issues and bled badly after his birth, so she had no need for feminine hygiene items, but she would go to the store to buy "Kotex" (no matter what brand, that's what she called it).  I kept telling her that they didn't work for OAB issues and to buy Poise or something similar, but no, she'd have accidents, and overflow the period pads, and get upset.  She would carry a change of clothing (and change in a parking lot....oy) rather than buy Poise or Depends.  So while I'm sure it is a bit embarrassing, I'd rather buy them than have an accident.  

• Love 5
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, Ubiquitous said:

I keep seeing a new PSA about not wasting food in which a series of chefs bring a three course meal to a family. The first is some kinda of zucchii alfredo, the second is made from the ends and blossoms,  and the third is a salad made from the vines and leaves. What I don't understand is what the heck the second course is b/c it looks like a meatloaf garnished with zucchii stems and flowers. What was the point?

Here is the PSA. WTF is that 2nd course?

On 2/21/2018 at 9:43 AM, Prairie Fire said:

If you thought the Diet Coke Mango ad was bad.....they've bottomed out with this one.

This one is completely lame (sorry Gillian!) but the mango ad was far more cringe-inducing, in my opinion. 

I’m still not sure how the “Alexa lost her voice” commercial is all that confusing. Seemed pretty straightforward to me. And it was funny (unlike most of the Suoerbowl ads).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, amass said:

Are they robbing the house? If so why aren't they taking things and running out?

The second guy says "Don't we need that cable box to watch TV?", implying that the two of them live there. Not sure why he crashed through the window.

• Love 1

Yeah but he (Bill Goldberg) asks “don’t we need to run?” Is that because they’re robbing the house? Ohh wait I think I know - because of the impending explosion  .... 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

WTF is that 2nd course?

Skewers with grilled zucchini (the pieces they'd cut off to make the first course), zucchini blossoms, and sausage.

9 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

I’m still not sure how the “Alexa lost her voice” commercial is all that confusing. Seemed pretty straightforward to me. And it was funny (unlike most of the Suoerbowl ads).

If you don't see the first one where it says she lost her voice and only see the follow-ups, then it's very confusing.  I had no idea why celebrities were answering from their bathtub (or arguing with someone else).  That is why I was confused - I didn't see the Superbowl ad (I don't watch it).

• Love 5

There is an Aldi’s ad where a lady can’t find her phone so she misses a call.  She says “it’s my mother-in-law.  I’ll call her back.”  Pause.  “Don’t tell her that.”

Um.  Why not?

• Love 5

She's in a ton of commercials but this is the first that I know of where she actually speaks.  However her lines come out in one quick garbled spurt so it's no wonder she hasn't had a speaking part before.  

19 hours ago, mojoween said:

There is an Aldi’s ad where a lady can’t find her phone so she misses a call.  She says “it’s my mother-in-law.  I’ll call her back.”  Pause.  “Don’t tell her that.”

Um.  Why not?

Maybe her MIL is the type who gets pissy if she doesn't jump when she snaps her fingers?

• Love 6
(edited)

I wonder how much "work" actually gets done at the workplace with everyone having access to the internet. What if you promised to not do personal stuff on the internet and get Friday off, instead. Probably works out to the same amount of hours of work getting done.  I tried that with my ex-boss, but she wouldn't take me up on it.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 10

I know we've been bitching about how we've been seeing a lot of commercials lately where the actors completely botch the word "voila". Well, today somebody got it right. step up and collect your prize Hidden Valley Ranch mix, you nailed it.

• Love 10

I keep seeing this infomercial for "Cutlery Corner", which is knives.  A whole lot of knives.  Like, I think a set of 130 knives.  Of all kinds.  Kitchen knives, hunting knives, utility knives, even a few swords.  Who needs that many knives?  And in such variety?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Thrifty said:

I keep seeing this infomercial for "Cutlery Corner", which is knives.  A whole lot of knives.  Like, I think a set of 130 knives.  Of all kinds.  Kitchen knives, hunting knives, utility knives, even a few swords.  Who needs that many knives?  And in such variety?

Jeffrey Dahmer?

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Thrifty said:

That knife infomercial/show is I think, an offshoot of one of the shopping networks.  They used to be the standard overnight product offerings.  They have been selling these sets for years and years.  That's the what.  I can't answer your why.

4 hours ago, Thrifty said:

I did a search for Cutlery Corner, and the fourth link was Ripoff Report, which has some interesting claims.

https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/specific_search/cutlery-corner

• Love 3
On 2/26/2018 at 1:37 AM, ChromaKelly said:

Has anyone seen this Kohler commercial with a bunch of freaky looking robots going to a party with humans? Then at the end there's a futuristic Kohler toilet and the robots are all standing around while someone is about to use it? WTF is that about? Both my husband and I thought it was going to be a drug commercial for social anxiety medication or something. I was waiting for the "Is this how you feel at a party?" voiceover. This commercial does zero to make me want to buy a Kohler toilet. All it did was make me going WTF and freak me out a little. Been watching too much Black Mirror.

Plus, why are robots so fascinated with a toilet?  Do robots poop?  Also, the future is HERE!  That schmancy toilet is just short of $5000 - and that's not even the top of the line model. 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, HighMaintenance said:

That schmancy toilet is just short of $5000 - and that's not even the top of the line model. 

$5,000???  I'd be afraid to poop in something that fancy!

• Love 6

I've been hearing these strange radio ads for broad concepts.  This morning I heard an ad about urban planning, although they just called it "planning".  It was an ad that extolled the virtues of urban planning and basically told the story of a neighborhood in an unspecified city being revitalized.

I have also at some points heard advertisements for "the forest".

I just saw an add for a dog walking app. It shows actress Olivia Munn leaving her dog alone and going to work. At work she uses the app to get a dog walker. Then they show the dog walker opening Olivia's front door and getting the dog. So are we supposed to believe she just leaves her door unlocked? 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I just saw an add for a dog walking app. It shows actress Olivia Munn leaving her dog alone and going to work. At work she uses the app to get a dog walker. Then they show the dog walker opening Olivia's front door and getting the dog. So are we supposed to believe she just leaves her door unlocked? 

There is a lock box on the door, similar to that which a realtor uses to show houses - dog walker uses a master key to open the lock box, which has the client's house key in it.  So this concept requires that you have a lot of faith in the service, their employees, and their level of bond/liability insurance.

I actually think it's a pretty good idea.  I probably wouldn't find it necessary to be alerted as to the time and location of Fluffy's defecation though.  I'm funny that way.  

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3
On 3/8/2018 at 1:36 PM, HighMaintenance said:

Plus, why are robots so fascinated with a toilet?  Do robots poop?  Also, the future is HERE!  That schmancy toilet is just short of $5000 - and that's not even the top of the line model. 

Maybe they think the toilet is another robot and are trying to talk to it?

• Love 3

I really don’t understand that cell phone commercial that features people videoing each other pretending to step on air. Is that a thing? A trend people are doing on social media? I can’t say I’ve seen it anywhere.

8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

There is a lock box on the door, similar to that which a realtor uses to show houses - dog walker uses a master key to open the lock box, which has the client's house key in it.  So this concept requires that you have a lot of faith in the service, their employees, and their level of bond/liability insurance.

Interesting! I have faith in no one, so it's a good thing I don't have a dog!

• Love 5

There is a commercial for that "Counting On" show with the Duggar people.  It says they have never been alone together before and then it sounds to me like the person they are talking to asks them how many grandchildren they have and they look at each other and say something like, should we tell him?

These people are newlyweds in their twenties (or teens maybe, don't know), but they definitely don't have any grandchildren.

Can someone tell me what the guy is asking?

Not important but it bugs me.

There's this ad about Secretariat, the horse, and they keep talking about having a larger heart than any other horse as if it's a good thing. I don't know about horse physiology, so I suppose it's possible this was a good thing, like it had better circulation than most, but I usually think of "enlarged heart" as a very bad thing. So the ad sort of sounds ridiculous, unless their point was "had a deadly heart condition and still won, wow". Even if what they're saying is not wrong, it sounds wrong.

• Love 3

I keep seeing a dog food commercial that has me perplexed.  There is a nerdy guy in a high rise office building conference room.  He's wearing some kind of uniform, with a tie.  So, I figure he's a security guard or maybe an airline pilot.  He feeds a little white fluffy dog some dog food and the dog eats it all up fast.  Then the guy sighs and eats his own snack and looks out of the window.

Who is he?  Why is he in the conference room?  Why is the dog there?  If he is a security guard, why doesn't he have a bigger dog?  Are we all supposed to bring our dogs to our office buildings for dinner now?

Why?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

I keep seeing a dog food commercial that has me perplexed.  There is a nerdy guy in a high rise office building conference room. 

This one, meep.meep?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7ige/cesar-home-delights-night-shift

"About Cesar Home Delights TV Commercial, 'Night Shift'

A security guard works the long and drawn out hours on the night shift, but he has has a furry sidekick. His dog keeps him company and entertains him. When it's meal time, he shows his appreciation by feeding his buddy Cesar Home Delights."

• Love 4

I've seen that and I also don't understand it. I think his shirt looks like a pilot's, but why is he sitting in what looks like a conference room? And why does he have a dog? And why does he feed the dog on top of the HVAC vent where food particles are going to fall in? I think about that every time I see the commercial!

ETA: I posted at the same time as @Tunia. The only part of the commercial I've seen is the last five seconds or so, just where he's in the conference room with the dog. That's why it makes no sense.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1

I also thought the guy was a pilot.  I figured he was just stopping at home and feeding his dog before his next flight.  Doesn't explain why he was in an office building, though.  Had no idea he was a security guard.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 1